hibs.net Messageboard

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Don't know much about the player just what folk have said on here about him . Going by what's been said he seems to be talented player with abit of a attitude . Think he's making a mistake by leaving tbh . Though do wish him well in his football career.

2. Log in to remove the advert

Quote Originally Posted by MWHIBBIES View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    This isn't happening, though. If it actually started happening, fair enough, but its not.
    It does feel a bit like Laidlaw was the jewel in the crown of this group of youngsters and we maybe need to be asking a few questions about why his time at Hibs has ended now.

Iirc Murray Johnson went for quite a few trials down South a few years ago but nothing came of them. Not sure what exactly happened there.

We’ll have had some loose change chucked back in from the likes of Young going to Rangers but I do think we need to question the investment in youth and our return on that investment.

Questioning the value of a youth system feels daft when you’re looking at our first team and seeing the amount of excellent football we’ve got from Hanlon and Stevenson over the years but it’s now quite some time since they broke through. Josh Campbell’s emergence has been welcome but in truth, it’s not much to show for quite a few years worth of activity.

When you consider the benefits we’ve had from recognising the likes of Doig, McGinn and Boyle as they’ve reached the point they did with their previous clubs, that just feels a bit more like the way to succeed nowadays rather than having the sort of environment that allowed the “golden generation” to emerge.
    Last edited by Smartie; 27-05-2023 at 12:29 PM.

I’ll stick by hibs and believe we think he can’t be good enough to give the wages he wanted.

If he had real standout potential

Hibs, kean, LJ would have been demanding hibs get a contract to him.

It didn’t happen, we move on.

Jamie Mcluskey, Kurtis Byrne, plenty of youngsters who were all meant to be good at youth level couldn’t make the step up.

Quote Originally Posted by Donegal Hibby View Post
    Don't know much about the player just what folk have said on here about him . Going by what's been said he seems to be talented player with abit of a attitude . Think he's making a mistake by leaving tbh . Though do wish him well in his football career.
    I hope people have examples of this poor attitude.

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by Nicho87 View Post
    I’ll stick by hibs and believe we think he can’t be good enough to give the wages he wanted.

If he had real standout potential

Hibs, kean, LJ would have been demanding hibs get a contract to him.

It didn’t happen, we move on.

Jamie Mcluskey, Kurtis Byrne, plenty of youngsters who were all meant to be good at youth level couldn’t make the step up.
    Connor Young, kane O'connor

Really sad he's not been given a chance over McKirdy. Surely wouldn't have offered any less?

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by Smartie View Post
    It does feel a bit like Laidlaw was the jewel in the crown of this group of youngsters and we maybe need to be asking a few questions about why his time at Hibs has ended now.

Iirc Murray Johnson went for quite a few trials down South a few years ago but nothing came of them. Not sure what exactly happened there.

We’ll have had some loose change chucked back in from the likes of Young going to Rangers but I do think we need to question the investment in youth and our return on that investment.

Questioning the value of a youth system feels daft when you’re looking at our first team and seeing the amount of excellent football we’ve got from Hanlon and Stevenson over the years but it’s now quite some time since they broke through. Josh Campbell’s emergence has been welcome but in truth, it’s not much to show for quite a few years worth of activity.

When you consider the benefits we’ve had from recognising the likes of Doig, McGinn and Boyle as they’ve reached the point they did with their previous clubs, that just feels a bit more like the way to succeed nowadays, rather than having the sort of environment that allowed the “golden generation” to emerge.
    I think hibs put Rudi, McAllister and j MacIntyre as the jewels. Laidlaw probably similar potential to Johnson, Blaney, Aiken, o MacIntyre

In reality only 1 or 2 will make it to hibs level. We shouldn't offer outwith our standard contract to any of them as chances are they won't make it as said. Hopefully some of them can do a job against adults when on loan.

@hibs.net private member Pagan Hibernia's Avatar
    This is not news I wanted to wake up to on derby day.

had high hopes for that lad.

Disappointing to lose him but he must be confident in his ability and if he gets a chance wherever he goes you never know good luck 👍

@hibs.net private member blackpoolhibs's Avatar
    It is a bit disapointing, as the lad has looked to me a very good prospect. Hey ho, we will survive and the future is bright.

At the game today

Someone was telling me today he's signed/signing a 5 year deal at Watford.

Can't really blame him for that. 5 years is security he wouldn't get at Hibs and he's never been close to a getting a chance here either. probably on more money to boot.

Gamer IDs

PSN ID: Sheggs84
    Hope he does well but it’s a league full of team that play hoof ball, hard for a young boy to break in

@hibs.net private member Pete70's Avatar
    Wish the lad well as I would any player leaving Hibs.

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by Pretty Boy View Post

Can't really blame him for that. 5 years is security he wouldn't get at Hibs and he's never been close to a getting a chance here either. probably on more money to boot.
    And we dished out a 5 year contract to Tavares🙈

Quote Originally Posted by hibee-boys View Post
    And we dished out a 5 year contract to Tavares🙈
    And Campbell.

Quote Originally Posted by Calidad View Post
    Anyone know why we have literally no youngsters in and around the first team? Was the last one Porteous?

johnstone is the number 2 keeper and been on the bench every match for months. The guy in front of him is the captain and a respected former international (albeit having a shocker of an end to the season)

Yeah sure villa and few other big clubs where sniffing about around Christmas, he was always going to get a deal elsewhere, had something extra about him

@hibs.net private member .Sean.'s Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Libby Hibby View Post
    Billy big boots apparently
    He was sitting behind me at the last derby wearing a vintage Hibs top looking pretty amiable and keeping his head down, don’t see that at all
    ''It's always been just part of the culture. Growing up, for most working-class kids, is all about football, music or clothes. You might not have much money, but whatever you have got, you're going to look good.'' - Paul Weller

I've seen Ethan about 20 times this season for the 18s,19s and Development teams and not once have I seen anything to suggest he's got an attitude problem. He's a great talent and he wanted to stay but it wasn't to be. He's Hibs through and through and goes home and away every Saturday. I can't help feeling Hibs could've done more to keep him. I'd also like to see more of this batch of youths getting first team exposure, Oscar McIntyre for example is a better option than Cabraja who I thought was horrendous when he came on yesterday.

Quote Originally Posted by Since90+2 View Post
    And Campbell.

4 year deal for him.

Quote Originally Posted by Brooster View Post
    I've seen Ethan about 20 times this season for the 18s,19s and Development teams and not once have I seen anything to suggest he's got an attitude problem. He's a great talent and he wanted to stay but it wasn't to be. He's Hibs through and through and goes home and away every Saturday. I can't help feeling Hibs could've done more to keep him. I'd also like to see more of this batch of youths getting first team exposure, Oscar McIntyre for example is a better option than Cabraja who I thought was horrendous when he came on yesterday.
    I've just posted on another thread that we have to get Oscar into the 1st team picture next season. It's helpful that Stevenson has had a decent end to this season so him and Oscar sharing reps so to speak would be fine by me.
    PM Awards General Poster of The Year 2015, 2016, 2017. Probably robbed in other years

@hibs.net private member
    I've just posted on another thread that we have to get Oscar into the 1st team picture next season. It's helpful that Stevenson has had a decent end to this season so him and Oscar sharing reps so to speak would be fine by me.
    Yeah, I would like to think those youth players on the fringes of the first team will have the chance to be included and hopefully stake their claims during pre season

@hibs.net private member Carheenlea's Avatar
    So had Hibs not offered him a deal to continue on? Given your post which highlights how much of Hibs fan he is and that he wanted to stay you’d have to imagine that it should have been easy one to get over the line if Hibs were keen to keep him?

@hibs.net private member BILLYHIBS's Avatar
    This

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by Carheenlea View Post
    So had Hibs not offered him a deal to continue on? Given your post which highlights how much of Hibs fan he is and that he wanted to stay you’d have to imagine that it should have been easy one to get over the line if Hibs were keen to keep him?
    They offered him the highest deal we offer a youth player before they are in the first team, had a loan deal ready too if he wanted it.

Thought I read somewhere that MacIntyre was going on loan?
    Mature, sensible signature required for responsible position. Good prospects for the right candidate. Apply within.

He went on trial to an EPL club (Liverpool or Man City maybe)around a year ago so I reckon he has been offered something down there. He was never going to stay with Hibs after his contract ended so Hìbs were justified in not giving him a chance in the 1st team.

@hibs.net private member The Modfather's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by James70 View Post
    He went on trial to an EPL club (Liverpool or Man City maybe)around a year ago so I reckon he has been offered something down there. He was never going to stay with Hibs after his contract ended so Hìbs were justified in not giving him a chance in the 1st team.
    Maybe he had no intention of ever staying, but since Jack Ross had him training with the first team he’s seen a striker crisis last season. We had Drey Wright playing up front at times, and the signings of Bojang, Tavares, Melkerson, McKirdy, Hague all blocking his pathway for zero return.

It might well be a mistake to leave, but it’s just as big a risk to stay at a club that doesn’t seem to actually want to give youth a chance when circumstances present themselves. I don’t blame him for leaving, regardless of where he goes, I’m not sure Hibs are best for his progression.

@hibs.net private member
    He's never played against adults yet. The pathway for pretty much every player is prove it on loan and get used to rough and tumble of playing against men then you'll get chance after that. It worked for Porto, doig, Campbell and hundreds more. At the age ethan is Riordan was about to go on loan and shine for Cowdenbeath, he got a chance in the big team after that.