hibs.net Messageboard

Thread: Long Throws

@hibs.net private member

Long Throws

I don't think I have seen any Hibs player throw a ball as far as Lewis Miller did last night. It got me thinking of style of play and what supporters want. I'm pretty old school. I like big tackles, Physical contact with Hibs players trying to physically dominate opponents, players both running with the ball, progressive passing and most importantly getting men in the box and the ball in there too as often as you can. I don't care if the stats say you score more in a certain way and 100 passes between centre halves is a good thing I want the ball into the danger area as often as possible. I also want shots on goal when a chance of a decent shot on target is possible. Like last night there is always a chance. In terms of attacking I think we are pretty close to what I want to see. Midfielders getting into the box more would be all I would complain about.

Getting back to the point I am all in favour of getting the ball in the box from throw ins. What to the fans of tippy tappy football think.

2. Log in to remove the advert

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by wookie70 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I don't think I have seen any Hibs player throw a ball as far as Lewis Miller did last night. It got me thinking of style of play and what supporters want. I'm pretty old school. I like big tackles, Physical contact with Hibs players trying to physically dominate opponents, players both running with the ball, progressive passing and most importantly getting men in the box and the ball in there too as often as you can. I don't care if the stats say you score more in a certain way and 100 passes between centre halves is a good thing I want the ball into the danger area as often as possible. I also want shots on goal when a chance of a decent shot on target is possible. Like last night there is always a chance. In terms of attacking I think we are pretty close to what I want to see. Midfielders getting into the box more would be all I would complain about.

Getting back to the point I am all in favour of getting the ball in the box from throw ins. What to the fans of tippy tappy football think.
    I think it’s a decent option to have. Just wouldn’t want us overly relying on it and doing it over and over again without getting anything from them

@hibs.net private member overdrive's Avatar
    I don’t get why people equate long throws with a more industrial style of football. Well I do actually, and as I said on a previous thread about Joe Newell’s long throws, it’ll be because people think of Rory Delap when they think of long throws and then they immediately think of the fact he became famous for them in a Tony Pullis team.

It is perfectly possible to play an attractive style of football and do long throws. They become just another set piece like a corner or free kick. You don’t have Man City taking short free kicks when they have the opportunity to either get a shot in on goal or get it on Haaland’s or Stones’ heads.

As I said on the other thread I’m pretty annoyed that it’s taken 4 permanent hibs managers to discover Newell could take a long throw. To have two good long throw takers in the team is definitely an asset. Not that I think Newell will get a look in with Miller in the team (unless it’s on the left and they don’t want Miller out of position to take it).

@hibs.net private member
    It's definitely a great option to have - pretty much a corner kick. But we need someone that can make the most and win headers.

It worked with Stoke as you has Delap throwing to Crouch, who would win 90% of the balls in.

Now, I'm not saying we need a 6"7 striker but Nisbet, Youan, Boyle, Newell, JDH etc are not the players to allow us to take advantage.

A fully fit Myko would be a great option. And not just for the headers.

Quote Originally Posted by neil7908 View Post
    It's definitely a great option to have - pretty much a corner kick. But we need someone that can make the most and win headers.

It worked with Stoke as you has Delap throwing to Crouch, who would win 90% of the balls in.

Now, I'm not saying we need a 6"7 striker but Nisbet, Youan, Boyle, Newell, JDH etc are not the players to allow us to take advantage.

It would be ideal, but not essential. It causes havoc in the opposition box and the power Miller puts them in with causes defenders problems which results in mistakes. Someone latching onto a second ball can make them effective in an indirect way.

@hibs.net private member
    A pedant writes. Nearly every long throw by Joe is a foul throw because he ends up with his feet on the pitch!

At least Lewis got it correct and within the regulations.

And yes, I need to get out more lol

Miller will throw it right out the other side on the stupid 5 a side pitch on Saturday.

I don't think it was just Miller. Am sure Fish launched one or two in the first half. Our throw ins for years have been really poor and invited pressure back onto us not far from where the throw in was taken so having that option to get it further down the park or into the opposing box is a step forward.

For Miller I lost count how many time Marshall found Miller with his goalkicks and Miller won the forward knock on. Once the strikers/midfielders start to recognise this they can anticipate the knock on and create more attacking.

Aim for Will Fish. He’s superb in the air. Just all about getting that first flick on.

Quote Originally Posted by GreenPJ View Post
    I don't think it was just Miller. Am sure Fish launched one or two in the first half. Our throw ins for years have been really poor and invited pressure back onto us not far from where the throw in was taken so having that option to get it further down the park or into the opposing box is a step forward.

For Miller I lost count how many time Marshall found Miller with his goalkicks and Miller won the forward knock on. Once the strikers/midfielders start to recognise this they can anticipate the knock on and create more attacking.
    The knock ons reminded me of the David Gray days. He was excellent at that too

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by B.H.F.C View Post
    Aim for Will Fish. He’s superb in the air. Just all about getting that first flick on.
    True but I'm not sure about putting CBs up for a throw in. Might when we are chasing a goal but I'm not sure it's common to get them up for throw ins, even one as good as Millers. Could leave is quite exposed as the back for a large part of the game given how many throws are given.

True but I'm not sure about putting CBs up for a throw in. Might when we are chasing a goal but I'm not sure it's common to get them up for throw ins, even one as good as Millers. Could leave is quite exposed as the back for a large part of the game given how many throws are given.
    Think it comes down to not overusing it for me. But if it’s in the right area get the centre halves up, it’s as good as a corner. We’ve done it pretty regularly this season with Newell with the centre halves going up.

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by B.H.F.C View Post
    Think it comes down to not overusing it for me. But if it’s in the right area get the centre halves up, it’s as good as a corner. We’ve done it pretty regularly this season with Newell with the centre halves going up.
    I think if a quick throw is on then that should be used. I think we get about 1 quick throw a few ade and our throw ins often end with us defending. At least that defending would be deep in the opposition half. It would be better if a striker was the target but Miller himself becomes good co er as he is so deep

Great option to have. Stoke used to play for throw ins when the had delap which is a bit rugbyesque but having a player capable is a bonus.

For all the great football Turnbulls side played when we won a throw in defences dreaded Scheadlers throw-ins, as a good as free kick.

Sent from my SM-A528B using Tapatalk

Coaching Staff
    It’s not just into the box where he’s providing an advantage.

Instead of the usual ‘throw it down the line’ when our receivers are marked, he can find a colleague in any direction..away from the line.

As he did against Celtic

@hibs.net private member JimBHibees's Avatar
    Think danger of overusing it. Becomes easy to defend against if we don't have an aerial threat and do it all the time. There should be a variation short also as teams can be short near the thrower and we could take advantage.

@hibs.net private member BILLYHIBS's Avatar
    Best long throw I have seen since Shades

The hairs on the back of my neck were standing up

Secret weapon

@hibs.net private member
    Even a throw in our own half at tynie is a chance to get it into the box the place is so small so good weapon to have.

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by zitelli62 View Post
    Even a throw in our own half at tynie is a chance to get it into the box the place is so small so good weapon to have.
    Marshall should try a Goram and score from his own box, bet he does it often in the barn, thats around the same size as the tiny tiny pitch

@hibs.net private member O'Rourke3's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Bridge hibs View Post
    Marshall should try a Goram and score from his own box, bet he does it often in the barn, thats around the same size as the tiny tiny pitch
    Oxley did it "up the slope" as well. It's interesting that he tries it in training though. Clark isn't one to get far out his box though but it would be great to see it.

Sent from my SM-G990B using Tapatalk

Whatever the case its a good weapon to have, Hearts aren't exactly renowned for their defending in high ball situations and if we can compete for the ball when it comes in it could end up anywhere. It wasn't that long ago that Falkirk and Livvi both caused us problems with long throws which showed what a useful thing they can be. Time for us to do it to someone and if we chuck every shy into the box tomorrow you wont hear me moaning about it.

It's simple, the more you get the ball into the opposition box the more chance you have of scoring, who cares how you do it

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by NAE NOOKIE View Post
    Whatever the case its a good weapon to have, Hearts aren't exactly renowned for their defending in high ball situations and if we can compete for the ball when it comes in it could end up anywhere. It wasn't that long ago that Falkirk and Livvi both caused us problems with long throws which showed what a useful thing they can be. Time for us to do it to someone and if we chuck every shy into the box tomorrow you wont hear me moaning about it.

It's simple, the more you get the ball into the opposition box the more chance you have of scoring, who cares how you do it
    Need Youan to run at Sibbick, he will tie him in knots, I watched the hearts highlights v the rangers and Sibbick was all over the shop

@hibs.net private member
    Erich Schaedler was a contortionist in how he went backwards to launch his throws and they were hugely effective. He was a legend for sure.
    I had to miss the game on Wednesday but if Miller’s throws are as good as people say, even in our own half he can go behind their defence. Kind of takes their “high press” out of it.
    Fingers crossed.

@hibs.net private member BILLYHIBS's Avatar
    Shades’ technique was like an uncoiled spring a wee run up with all the power in his back and arms perfectly illustrated in Wee Jimmy’s opening goal in 0-7 following a flick on from Tosh

Shades would regularly hit the back post as good as a corner

I remember one such throw in in a Scottish Cup tie at Firhill for Thrills Shades’ long throw was cleared back to him and he returned it with interest sending a glorious volley into the faraway top postage stamp corner

Miller is the best I have seen since

Even better than Newell 😀