hibs.net Messageboard

Thread: NYC Hidden Gems

@hibs.net private member Frazerbob's Avatar

NYC Hidden Gems

I’m going to New York for Josh Taylor’s fight, just for a few days and looking for some tips. I’ve been a couple of times before so done all the obvious tourist stuff. For this flying visit I’m looking for some hidden gem bars and food places. Where’s the best street food, music bars, cocktails, micro breweries, dive bars etc. Staying in Manhattan……….

2. Log in to remove the advert

Bull McCabe's st marks was a good bar many moons ago

Quote Originally Posted by Frazerbob View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I’m going to New York for Josh Taylor’s fight, just for a few days and looking for some tips. I’ve been a couple of times before so done all the obvious tourist stuff. For this flying visit I’m looking for some hidden gem bars and food places. Where’s the best street food, music bars, cocktails, micro breweries, dive bars etc. Staying in Manhattan……….
    Good cocktails at The View which is about 1 minute from Times Square. Was about 15 years ago I was there mind you. It is a revolving restaurant about 50 floors up.

https://www.theviewnyc.com/lounge/cocktail-menu/

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by Frazerbob View Post
    Wouldn’t necessarily call them hidden gems but Scarrs pizza is probably the best pizza in Manhattan imo. It’s near Chinatown.

If you end up over in Brooklyn then L’industrie is even better and Lucali is the best I’ve ever had but it’s a faf in terms of getting in. Need to get there about 3 to put your name down about 4 for a table later in the evening. L’industrie and Scarrs are slices, Lucalis is sit down, whole pizzas and BYOB. If you go to Scarrs or L’industrie then get hot honey for your pizza. It’s started making its way into pizzerias here now but it’s a brilliant addition to a pizza.

Los Tacos no.1 is excellent for tacos, street food style thing in Chelsea Market.

7th Street Burger is really good for burgers. Think they’ve a few locations.

If you’ve never had it here I’d look into trying to find a good Korean BBQ. Great food and NYC is full of them, we don’t have many here in the UK.

Was there in November. Did a street food tour in Greenwich village. It was great.
    Good variety of foods and easy to walk from place to place.
    Met Fraser Wishart on the tour. Although he’s not a hibby, he was very complimentary about the way Hibs operate.
    The tour started at Murray’s cheese shop and went to six or seven places.

@hibs.net private member hibee_girl's Avatar
    Not a food or drink tip but the best thing we did in New York last October was go to RiseNY.

It’s a museum type place just off Times Square, worth it for the simulator ride at the end.

@hibs.net private member danhibees1875's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by 007 View Post
    Good cocktails at The View which is about 1 minute from Times Square. Was about 15 years ago I was there mind you. It is a revolving restaurant about 50 floors up.

https://www.theviewnyc.com/lounge/cocktail-menu/
    Had dinner there in 2016 - was incredible. Pricey though.

The next day we had lunch in Chinatown and the whole bill was less than we tipped at TheView.

Tipping culture over there was quite something.
    Mon the Hibs.

reigning hibs.net poker champion Wembley67's Avatar
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: Happyhibs62
    Chelsea market is good for a wander and street food and Rise just off Times Square is very unexpected. It charts the rise of NYC with a very impressive VR ride at the end, admission was worth it just for that.

I think it only opened last year.

Gamer IDs

Gamertag: sjmcg1304
    Katz's deli in the lower east side - some of the best NY deli/Jewish food you'll ever eat. But turn up promptly - it's insanely busy at the usual times.
    Madness, as you know, is a lot like gravity. All it takes is a little push.

@hibs.net private member overdrive's Avatar
    The Brooklyn Food and Cultural Tour. I did it about 11 years ago but its still on the go. Not cheap but highly recommend it. You meet in Manhattan (I think the meeting point has changed from when I did it - it was at the Clinton Street Bakery back then). You get a mini bus and go to several places in Brooklyn (and back then one place in Manhattan which was a less touristy alternative to Katz Deli). The food is excellent but the cultural and history stuff you get in Brooklyn is brilliant too.

https://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/Attrac...ity_New_Y.html