hibs.net Messageboard

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    @hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by ErinGoBraghHFC View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Interesting, do you know if there’s any online info on this sighting?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Trying to find something, here is a link to the Livingston sighting

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-scotland-50262655.amp

The book Mc X which describes Andrew Cherrys Portobello sighting

https://www.amazon.co.uk/McX-Scottish-Files-Ron-Halliday/dp/1873631774
    Last edited by Bridge hibs; 28-07-2023 at 12:03 AM.

2. Log in to remove the advert

I remember hearing about it from time to time growing up in Livi, not a ten minute walk from where it supposedly happened. A lot of people in Deans, Carmondean and Dechmont take his word as gospel. I did always get a weird feeling walking through those woods.

we used to be in those woods a lot as kids, and for things like orienteering and cross country running during school. What I would say is that they were always very quiet, you rarely saw other people there, which always felt odd as it’s a sensible place to take dogs and kids for walks, for the most part not near any roads, great for taking a mountain bike through

Wasn't Bonnybridge considered the UFO capital of the world at some point?

I'm very much of the opinion that most things can be explain away by Occam's razor. The one conspiracy that I think is so obviously true though is the Covid lab leak theory in Wuhan. I just cannot see any other explanation. I mean they've got a coronavirus lab right there FFS!!

Quote Originally Posted by McD View Post
    we used to be in those woods a lot as kids, and for things like orienteering and cross country running during school. What I would say is that they were always very quiet, you rarely saw other people there, which always felt odd as it’s a sensible place to take dogs and kids for walks, for the most part not near any roads, great for taking a mountain bike through
    They still done the cross country running there when I left school about 6/7 years ago, I’d imagine they still do now. The woods are mostly used as a bevvying den for teenagers and folk tend to take their dogs up to the big grass field area beside the high school to run about rather than actually venturing into the woods. Definitely is eerily quiet, you could easily forget you’re in Livingston

@hibs.net private member Lancs Harp's Avatar
    Tories are c***s. Proved a zillion times.

Apologies for lowering the tone but the OP did ask.

Quote Originally Posted by Mon Dieu4 View Post
    My dad and his family saw one over a beach in kinghorn when he was a kid, said it was like a reflective cigar wasn't too far away but just shot off at a speed that no plane etc could have, my Nana and Grandad saw it too, my Grandad was a RAF spotter as well, he was none the wiser about what it had been
    My brother was always convinced he saw one above the oil depot at dalmeny in '79. He would have been about 10 at the time

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by The_Exile View Post
    Wasn't Bonnybridge considered the UFO capital of the world at some point?

I'm very much of the opinion that most things can be explain away by Occam's razor. The one conspiracy that I think is so obviously true though is the Covid lab leak theory in Wuhan. I just cannot see any other explanation. I mean they've got a coronavirus lab right there FFS!!

Nothing to do with the lights from Grangemouth !

Quote Originally Posted by pollution View Post
    Maybe, you can sometimes see the flaring at Grangemouth on a clear night from my upstairs.

Ghosts anyone?

Quote Originally Posted by Bridge hibs View Post
    Trying to find something, here is a link to the Livingston sighting

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-scotland-50262655.amp

The book Mc X which describes Andrew Cherrys Portobello sighting

https://www.amazon.co.uk/McX-Scottis.../dp/1873631774
    Just bought the kindle version of the book for my holidays, cheers BH

@hibs.net private member O'Rourke3's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by pollution View Post
    Or the chemicals in the air... The area near the Refinary stank in the 70s

Sent from my SM-G990B using Tapatalk

@hibs.net private member
    Just bought the kindle version of the book for my holidays, cheers BH

Nice one mate, enjoy 👍

@hibs.net private member weecounty hibby's Avatar
    For UFOs with a Hibby link check out Malcolm Robinson. Malcy was a huge Hibby back in the 70s and 80s. Home and away and has some incredible stories not just about UFOs but about Hibs as well.

@hibs.net private member The Modfather's Avatar
    On the subject of UFO’s. I was over in Ukraine for the Dnipro game. Was on an overnight train back to Kiev, which was an experience in itself. Woke up in the middle of the night and the train was stopped so went for walk to stretch my legs. There was an embankment next to where we were stopped and there was the strangest lights on the other side I couldn’t work out what they were. I subsequently read there was a fatal rail crash in Ukraine that same night. It was probably, unfortunately, something to do with that rather than anything unexplainable.

@hibs.net private member
    Reading of the Dechmont farmers experience and that of others, so descriptive you couldnt possibly think that these guys have made those stories up

I suppose I would be sceptical but thats probably because I would need to see it for myself to truly believe there is something out there or that they have indeed visited us in their various guises

Reading of the Dechmont farmers experience and that of others, so descriptive you couldnt possibly think that these guys have made those stories up

I suppose I would be sceptical but thats probably because I would need to see it for myself to truly believe there is something out there or that they have indeed visited us in their various guises
    I do believe that Robert Taylor believed that’s what he saw, I also don’t know what could possibly be mistaken for what he thinks he saw and experienced. It’s just too detailed, his story never changed until his death and he left the UK for a period to escape the newspapers, he wasn’t chasing fame or notoriety.

@hibs.net private member
    I do believe that Robert Taylor believed that’s what he saw, I also don’t know what could possibly be mistaken for what he thinks he saw and experienced. It’s just too detailed, his story never changed until his death and he left the UK for a period to escape the newspapers, he wasn’t chasing fame or notoriety.

Yeah thats what I mean, its just too descriptive and detailed, think it tormented him for a while too, I mean you just dont witness those things every day

Its the same with Andrew Cherrys sighting in Portobello when he was a young lad on his way to work, his description is very detailed too and although he was just a young lad then his story never changed over the years. Unsure if he is still on the go but I spoke to him last in 2013 and he was happy to tell that story to an audience in the pub. If I remember one or two were trying to pick holes in his story to try trip him up but he didnt relent, he stuck to his story and basically suggested they believe him or they dont

He was never out for fame
    Last edited by Bridge hibs; 30-07-2023 at 05:34 PM.

Yeah thats what I mean, its just too descriptive and detailed, think it tormented him for a while too, I mean you just dont witness those things every day

Its the same with Andrew Cherrys sighting in Portobello when he was a young lad on his way to work, his description is very detailed too and although he was just a young lad then his story never changed over the years. Unsure if he is still on the go but I spoke to him last in 2013 and he was happy to tell that story to an audience in the pub. If I remember one or two were trying to pick holes in his story to try trip him up but he didnt relent, he stuck to his story and basically suggested they believe him or they dont

He was never out for fame
    Story goes that Mr Taylor was a non believer until the encounter also, and a church goer until his death. Makes me more inclined to believe him. Your pal sounds credible from what you’ve said too, did he ever describe what the pilot looked like to you at all? Presumably not a wee green man.

@hibs.net private member
    Story goes that Mr Taylor was a non believer until the encounter also, and a church goer until his death. Makes me more inclined to believe him. Your pal sounds credible from what you’ve said too, did he ever describe what the pilot looked like to you at all? Presumably not a wee green man.

If I remember he described the craft as a silent and matt black, hovering quite low and then tilted. I think he said the pilot was all in black with an all black helmet and visor, after the craft tilted it shot away at speed towards Fife

@hibs.net private member Hibbyradge's Avatar
    Funny how they're only ever spotted by individuals.
    Last edited by Hibbyradge; 30-07-2023 at 07:07 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Hibbyradge View Post
    Not entirely true, for example multiple people described seeing strange things in the sky over Dechmont Law that night. It was only Robert Taylor who had the close encounter though, but it’s a quiet area late at night with only the forestry workers having a reason to be up there at that time of night.

@hibs.net private member
    Not always

The A70 Abduction: Missing hours

Travelling along the A70 near Harperrig Reservoir in West Lothian on August 17, 1992, Garry Wood and Colin Wright saw a two-tiered, disc-shaped object above the road.

According to their testimony, Wood put his foot down on the accelerator and as they passed beneath the UFO, it appeared to emit a "curtain of white light". The car began shuddering and they emerged to find themselves driving on the wrong side of the road.

When Wood and Wright arrived in the South Lanarkshire village of Tarbrax, where they were due to drop off a satellite TV system, they discovered that several hours were unaccounted for. Afterwards they underwent hypnosis sessions, with both men recalling an alien abduction scenario and being subjected to a medical-type examination

The Falkirk Triangle: Scotland's UFO capital

The phenomenon known as the "Falkirk Triangle". which includes Bonnybridge and Camelon - first began to gain attention in 1992 with the area laying claim to around 300 sightings a year.

A family out for a walk on a March evening in 1992 spoke of witnessing a basketball-sized blue light hovering on the back road from Hallglen to Bonnybridge and claimed to hear a sound similar to a "door opening" followed by a "how!" (unsurprisingly they didn't hang around).

A video of an orange oval light above Falkirk, changing shape to becoming a white disc - the classic "flying saucer" shape - then disappearing suddenly was captured in October 1996. The clip went viral worldwide.

There was a strange case in Zimbabwe in the 1990s

62 children at a school claimed that they saw a UFO land, beings approach and communicate with them telepathically. The methodology for gathering evidence was criticised and it's often claimed it was mass hysteria or an elaborate prank albeit many still stand by what they saw. Incidentally many others at the school and in the playground on the same day insist they saw nothing out of the ordinary.

I find it interesting that the vast, vast majority of UFO sightings occur in the US with Europe (particularly the UK) and Australia also ranking highly. All places in which UFOs play a major part in popular culture. Sightings elsewhere aren't unknown but are comparatively rare. It's also interesting that sightings tend to follow patterns. In the years after the Roswell incident it was flying saucers that were everywhere. Cigar shaped crafts were all the rage for a while, died away then came back with a bang after NASA confirmed the existence of Oumuamua in the 2010s. The early 90s saw a surge in sighting of fireballs, incidentally just after the film 'Fire in the Sky' about alien abduction was released. Lights in the sky peaked in the UK shortly after the Rendlesham Forest incident, suddenly everyone was seeing lights in the sky. UFO sightings peaked from the late 70s (just after a certain Speilberg film) through the 80s (another Speilberg film anyone) and the early 90s just when crappy camcorders were on the market and grainy footage of 'something' was there to be captured. There was a TV show that was quite popular around that time...... As camera phones and the like have improved sightings have been on a notable and steady decline and once more 'lights in the sky' have replaced close encounters and sightings as actually crafts as the most reported incidents, nowadays there is no way you wouldn't just get a picture, think of the likes.

I wouldn't like to argue in the vastness of the universe there isn't other intelligent life, I'd say it's odds on that there is. I also think most people who claim to have encountered a UFO or alien being genuinely believe what they say (along with a fair few chancers of course). I just don't buy that intelligent beings travelled several light years then had a quick probe at or blether with the first person they bumped into then were on their way again. With the technology they obviously have I'd argue an appointment at the White House, Kremlin or Zhongnanhai wouldn't be beyond them.

I'd be more inclined to ask what military technology is being developed in a classified environment. It would probably clear up a lot of these incidents.
    Last edited by Pretty Boy; 30-07-2023 at 08:17 PM.

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by Pretty Boy View Post
    I wouldn't like to argue in the vastness of the universe there isn't other intelligent life, I'd say it's odds on that there is. I also think most people who claim to have encountered a UFO or alien being genuinely believe what they say (along with a fair few chancers of course). I just don't buy that intelligent beings travelled several light years then had a quick probe at or blether with the first person they bumped into then were on their way again. With the technology they obviously have I'd argue an appointment at the White House, Kremlin or Zhongnanhai wouldn't be beyond them.
    Prof. Brian Cox was asked about this the other day on the back of the hearings in the US Senate.

A few more thoughts on the possibility of life beyond Earth. All these thoughts are guesses. The lack of firm evidence for alien intelligence (so far) is sometimes called the Fermi Paradox, and it is a paradox. Put simply, there has been over 10 billion years and there are many millions of worlds in the Milky Way on which a civilisation could have arisen as far as we know. At first sight, one might therefore expect that there should be many civilisations in the galaxy far in advance of us, and we might have expected to see them. Why don’t we (or, let’s be careful, why is the evidence not bloody obvious!)?

One answer might be that civilisations never develop interstellar travel. I don’t see any reason why interstellar travel is impossible, and I think we’ll develop it if we survive into the 22nd century.

Related - perhaps civilisations don’t ever solve the problems posed by industrialisation and the discovery of nuclear weapons and never make it to the stars. Topical - see Oppenheimer! Maybe just ‘getting along’ as a global civilisation is harder than science.

Maybe (see UFO hearings) they are here but we haven’t discovered them or somebody knows but has managed to keep it a secret? Maybe. But if this is the case then at least I can say that the alien civilisations aren’t making their presence very obvious, otherwise my Astronomy colleagues who spend their time gazing at the sky and listening for signals would surely have spotted them! But let’s not rule out the possibility that we just haven’t detected them (or there is evidence but only a few people know about it) but they are indeed here.

My guess is that the average number of civilisations in a typical galaxy is low - perhaps less than 1. That’s a guess, based on what we know about the evolution of complex life on Earth. Put simply, it took the best part of 4 billion years here to go from cell to civilisation, and that’s a third of the age of the Universe. I think this MAY imply that, if this is typical (lots of ifs) then the Milky Way may be filled with microbes but not complex living things at our level of intelligence. This would be my guess.

BUT make no mistake, I wouldn’t be in the least bit surprised if a UFO landed in Oldham town centre tomorrow morning and the captain said ‘Take me to the leader of Oldham Metropolitan Borough Council’. In that case the Fermi Paradox would no longer be a paradox, I’d have learnt a lot about biology and I could get back to tweeting about other interesting stuff. I’d also ask them why gravity is so weak relative to the other forces of Nature.

Can I borrow some ambition? degenerated's Avatar
    Maybe not technically a conspiracy theory, but does anyone remember the UFO sighting in Livingston in the late 70s? Or does anyone believe the guy?

I mind that, the forestry worker at Dechmont. Whether or not that boys story is true I've no idea.

I'm inclined to believe there is something out there purely for the fact that it would be thoroughly depressing to think of humans as the pinnacle of intelligent sentient life in the universe.

Can I borrow some ambition? degenerated's Avatar
    That's not quite true, there are quite a few mass sightings that I've heard of and I'm not overly well versed in this field.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rendle...nt?wprov=sfla1

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Phoeni...ts?wprov=sfla1

Gamer IDs

Gamertag: sjmcg1304
    Don't suppose you watch Unsolved Mysteries (the new series), do you?

The most recent one had a very famous incident (The Muskegon sightings), where over 300 people all reportedly observed a supposed UFO over Lake Michigan.

That being said, I'm with Prof. Cox.
    Madness, as you know, is a lot like gravity. All it takes is a little push.

@hibs.net private member lapsedhibee's Avatar
    It would make me slightly less likely to believe someone about a UFO sighting if I knew that they had an imaginary friend they worshipped every week.

Quote Originally Posted by lapsedhibee View Post
    It would make me slightly less likely to believe someone about a UFO sighting if I knew that they had an imaginary friend they worshipped every week.
    Fair point, but UFO believers and Christianity don’t seem like a very likely mix of beliefs!

Fair point, but UFO believers and Christianity don’t seem like a very likely mix of beliefs!

I once read a book where a woman claimed that she had been impregnated by a being from another world.

The offspring of this 'virgin' had mystical powers* that could only really be put down to his non-human background.

Much like ET, he eventually returned to his own people, somewhere 'in the sky', and he apparently developed something of a cult following that were ridiculed for quite some time but eventually accepted into society

* converting water into alcoholic liquid; defying the laws of gravity by walking on water; discovering chemical substances that cured blindness
    Last edited by Keith_M; 02-08-2023 at 05:15 PM.