hibs.net Messageboard

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by blackpoolhibs View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I loved tripe with milk onions and butterbeans, and the rudikan was the brown bits if my dad was being honest with me.

Last had it during lockdown, but i cooked it wrong, apparently the stuff i bought had already been cooked, and i over cooked it.

Seeing this thread now, i think i will try it again.

Piccillily, rather eat sheite.

I'll get my old man to give you some tips re tripe next Saturday! 😉
    Last edited by HUTCHYHIBBY; 12-04-2023 at 12:20 PM.

2. Log in to remove the advert

Quote Originally Posted by Hibernia&Alba View Post
    Not a chance I would have tried that. Same with oysters.
    Oysters are superb, particularly from the wee place on the promenade in Blackpool, Robert's Oyster Bar IIRC 🤔
    Last edited by HUTCHYHIBBY; 12-04-2023 at 12:30 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by overdrive View Post
    The only “normal” things I really can’t stand are squid and octopus. Tried them many times and I just don’t like them.

I’ll give most things a bash. In South East Asia I’ve eaten chicken feet, frogs, bugs of various kinds (really loved crickets), etc.

I inadvertently ate pig testicle in Thailand… they were described as “stir fried pork balls” at a buffet. I assumed it would be like pork balls you get from the Chinese here… not recognising “hang on there’s no batter on these”… we started eating them and my wife put them to the side of her plate as she wasn’t enjoying the texture. I thought it was a bit strange and then it suddenly dawned on me with the shape and texture of them that “pork ball” might mean a different kind of ball. Googled it and my fears were correct. I thought they were alright to be fair.

By far the worst thing I’ve eaten though was in Vietnam a number of years ago. My ex-wife and I were on a moped food tour in Ho Chi Minh. That’s also where I ate the frog which was nice. The last place they took us they said (amongst other things) we’d be getting a local delicacy that a lot of us westerners wouldn’t want to eat - a duck egg. We were a bit confused as you get that here. Then the woman explained that it was a fertilised duck egg that had been allowed to grow to foetus. They asked who was up for trying it. Only me and n Australian guy said we would. He finished it. I couldn’t which I think offended them. I got half way through. It smelled. There were veins in the yolk. There was the start of a beak. There were some feathers.

It was gross.

This is the sort of thing I’m talking about:

https://images.app.goo.gl/qsTPdmpt8Nb7q3bU9

Would never eat that again!
    I've saw the duck egg thing on a travel/culinary programme, couldn't have managed or tried it. 😲

I had glass noodles in Pa Tong. Never again. Texture etc gave me the boke🤢

@hibs.net private member Hibernia&Alba's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by blackpoolhibs View Post
    I loved tripe with milk onions and butterbeans, and the rudikan was the brown bits if my dad was being honest with me.

Last had it during lockdown, but i cooked it wrong, apparently the stuff i bought had already been cooked, and i over cooked it.

Seeing this thread now, i think i will try it again.

Piccillily, rather eat sheite.
    I feel queasy
    HIBERNIAN FC - ON THE RIGHT SIDE OF HISTORY SINCE 1875

Seen a few mentions of jellied eels on here. I tried them a few years back in London just out of curiosity more than anything. They were ok, nothing special but not horrible. The eel itself was fine, it's a fairly nice fish to eat and it even went a bit bourgeois and found itself on fancy restaurant menus for a while. Soft but meaty. Flavour is a bit of nothing, salty would be about the best description. The jelly part itself is odd, gelatinous but bland, a bit like what I'd imagine vaseline tastes like, but you can eat round it. I love oysters, either as they come or with a bit Tabasco and red wine vinegar. They are nice added to a steak pie filling too. Used to be a working class mothers trick to bulk out a meat pie when oysters were cheap and plentiful and meat was expensive. Changed days now of course.

I'll add I like those jars of pickled mussels some pubs sell so I'm probably not the best person to take advice from when it comes to seafood.

Quote Originally Posted by Pretty Boy View Post
    Seen a few mentions of jellied eels on here. I tried them a few years back in London just out of curiosity more than anything. They were ok, nothing special but not horrible. The eel itself was fine, it's a fairly nice fish to eat and it even went a bit bourgeois and found itself on fancy restaurant menus for a while. Soft but meaty. Flavour is a bit of nothing, salty would be about the best description. The jelly part itself is odd, gelatinous but bland, a bit like what I'd imagine vaseline tastes like, but you can eat round it. I love oysters, either as they come or with a bit Tabasco and red wine vinegar. They are nice added to a steak pie filling too. Used to be a working class mothers trick to bulk out a meat pie when oysters were cheap and plentiful and meat was expensive. Changed days now of course.

I'll add I like those jars of pickled mussels some pubs sell so I'm probably not the best person to take advice from when it comes to seafood.
    Funny you should mention the jelly stuff, probably the main reason that I detest Pork Pies.

Been to Upton Park numerous times, never got involved in jellied eels, never even visited a pie and mash shop which is a bit weird looking back now.

Nothing wrong with a wee jar of mussels!

I'm starting to reminisce about my old man coming home after a game at ER then the boozer with a bag of buckies in tow. Not sure I could now. 🤮
    Last edited by HUTCHYHIBBY; 12-04-2023 at 05:24 PM.

@hibs.net private member Hibernia&Alba's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by HUTCHYHIBBY View Post
    Funny you should mention the jelly stuff, probably the main reason that I detest Pork Pies.

Been to Upton Park numerous times, never got involved in jellied eels, never even visited a pie and mash shop which is a bit weird looking back now.

Nothing wrong with a wee jar of mussels!

I'm starting to reminisce about my old man coming home after a game at ER then the boozer with a bag of buckies in tow. Not sure I could now. 🤮
    That's something you should do at some point when you're down there. A proper East End Tradition and a forerunner to the British chippies. The pies are all hand made on site, real old school.
    HIBERNIAN FC - ON THE RIGHT SIDE OF HISTORY SINCE 1875

Gamer IDs

PSN ID: hibee-87
    Quote Originally Posted by Mon Dieu4 View Post
    I normally pride myself on being able to try anything in reason, if it looks like a steak or mince I will give it a bash, I tried all sorts when Khublai Khan's was open down Leith

When I was in Fazenda me and my pals got offered a Chicken heart and it looked like what you'd expect, I put it in my mouth and just couldn't bring myself to chew it or eat it at all, turns out I'm not that adventurous after all
    I tried the Chicken hearts at Fazenda and they were lovely.

@hibs.net private member Moulin Yarns's Avatar
    This will sound strange to most folk but I've been unable to give macaroni cheese a try for about 55 years. Was pretty much forced to eat it when I was in hospital as a kid and threw up over the nurse. I have never been able to look at mac'n'cheese since
    There is no such thing as too much yarn, just not enough time.

@hibs.net private member Scouse Hibee's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Moulin Yarns View Post
    This will sound strange to most folk but I've been unable to give macaroni cheese a try for about 55 years. Was pretty much forced to eat it when I was in hospital as a kid and threw up over the nurse. I have never been able to look at mac'n'cheese since
    I’m pretty much the same with a cup of tea. Loved tea as a kid until I was about 10, suffered illness and associated it with tea that I went right off. Never touched a cup since.

@hibs.net private member
    Yes! But being forced to eat it in school dinners in early primary, in my case. See also: rice pudding, semolina, custard. I had a bit of a Roald Dahl-esqe, vomit related incident with semolina and prunes one lunchtime, which was spectacular enough for them to leave me alone after that.

Never recovered from the milk pudding phobia, but when I was a student and skint and hungry, some American flatmates were making macaroni cheese, and it actually smelled really nice (rather than the bland, sicky smell of the school canteen stuff). Had some and loved it. I know exactly where you're coming from, though.

@hibs.net private member
    Sugar, I used to have 3 in a cup of strong tea when I was younger, I couldnt have a cup of tea without it. When I turned 16 I totally went off sugar in tea or cereals and have never had as much as a grain since

I cant stomach jelly no matter the flavour, the texture gives me the boak, you can throw in prunes and sprouts to the mix too, just vile

Used to love tomato sauce spread thick on a sandwich, no other filling. The thought gives me the boak now. I still like a piece and condensed milk though

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

@hibs.net private member Mon Dieu4's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Hibee87 View Post
    I tried the Chicken hearts at Fazenda and they were lovely.
    Judging by your previous with nuclear cheese Beano's I'm no surprised you liked them haha

Gamer IDs

Gamertag: sjmcg1304
    Quote Originally Posted by ErinGoBraghHFC View Post
    Used to love tomato sauce spread thick on a sandwich, no other filling. The thought gives me the boak now. I still like a piece and condensed milk though

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Madness, as you know, is a lot like gravity. All it takes is a little push.

I completely understand where you're coming from. When it comes to food, everyone's taste buds are unique, and what might be a delicacy for one person can be a complete turn-off for another.
    You can also check out this wide range of natural food. It's a testament to the diversity of our culinary preferences. Some people have adventurous palates and are willing to try anything, while others prefer to stick to what they know and love.
    Personally, I think it's great that we have so many options when it comes to food. It allows us to explore different cultures and traditions, and even if we come across something we can't imagine eating, it's all part of the culinary adventure.
    Last edited by Goldexon; 12-11-2023 at 07:42 PM.

Glass noodles. Even the thought of them makes me boak.

Tripe. Just why? I do think it's a generational thing though

@hibs.net private member LaMotta's Avatar
    Blue Cheese. Yuk.

I have a funny relationship with ketchup.

On a burger or on the side for me to dip chips into I absolutely love it.

Too much of it and it gives me the heave. Somebody on the "guilty pleasures" thread mentioned ketchup sandwiches and I've felt pretty queasy ever since reading the suggestion. Even a bacon roll with a bit too much ketchup can turn my stomach so I always have to be specific for my request for "just a wee bit".

There was something about seeing people walking about with those half pizzas you used to get at ER with loads of ketchup on them that just turned my stomach looking at them.

Weird, I know.

A guy I used to play football with necked bottles of stuff like ketchup and barbecue sauce as a drunken party piece on nights out which wasn't too pleasant.
    Last edited by Smartie; 08-11-2023 at 12:19 PM.

@hibs.net private member Northernhibee's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Smartie View Post
    A guy I used to play football with necked bottles of stuff like ketchup and barbecue sauce as a drunken party piece on nights out which wasn't too pleasant.
    I think I know him, he regretted it after it all got into his eyes. Then again I suppose Heinz sight is a fine thing.

Do you think your security can keep you in purity, you will not shake us off above or below. Scottish friction, Scottish fiction

Private Members Prediction League Winner Hibrandenburg's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Northernhibee View Post
    I think I know him, he regretted it after it all got into his eyes. Then again I suppose Heinz sight is a fine thing.

@hibs.net private member The Modfather's Avatar
    Chorizo. My daughter and wife love it. It’s all I can smell when they buy it and I open the fridge.

@hibs.net private member Northernhibee's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by The Modfather View Post
    Chorizo. My daughter and wife love it. It’s all I can smell when they buy it and I open the fridge.
    I once made my own chorizo. My partner wasn’t best pleased when she found them hanging up in the airing cupboard to cure.

Quote Originally Posted by Smartie View Post
    I have a funny relationship with ketchup.

On a burger or on the side for me to dip chips into I absolutely love it.

Too much of it and it gives me the heave. Somebody on the "guilty pleasures" thread mentioned ketchup sandwiches and I've felt pretty queasy ever since reading the suggestion. Even a bacon roll with a bit too much ketchup can turn my stomach so I always have to be specific for my request for "just a wee bit".

There was something about seeing people walking about with those half pizzas you used to get at ER with loads of ketchup on them that just turned my stomach looking at them.

Weird, I know.

I hear you. I could have ketchup on any hot main course.. but licking a wee bit of it off the end of my finger isn’t enjoyable.

@hibs.net private member
    I had a heart attack 21 years ago, about 3 hours after I had an omelette stuffed with bacon and cheese. Haven’t had an omelette since.

@hibs.net private member
    Tony Romas ribs I Drive Orlando.
    All you can eat ribs for $15, about 20 years ago.
    Ate 34 ribs & it took me about 15 years to eat another rib.

@hibs.net private member
    Can't eat Chinese or Indian

Hot tomatoes, not in a sauce like in a pasta but cut in half and on the side of a plate in a breakfast fry up. I'll eat anything like snails, oysters etc.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by AltheHibby View Post
    Tripe. Even the smell makes me want to hork.
    My dad used to go crazy for tripe …… it turns my stomach. My mum used to say ‘it’s the best of meat’ and I used to ask ‘well how come it’s so cheap?’ That was 60 years ago. Is it still really cheap or do the chefy offal types consider it a delicacy and pay a fortune for it?