hibs.net Messageboard

Page 5 of 12 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: New ownership

Johnson, Ross, Hecky… come on Hibs, you can do this

2. Log in to remove the advert

Melbourne City relatively recently were taken over by the City group. It turned off a lot of loyal Melbourne Heart fans back then. They were made to change their primary colours to the sky blue of man City (previously known for red and white stripes). Of course their name changed as well. Hibernian City anyone?

On the pitch they are on course to win their 2nd League title in a row however.

@hibs.net private member greenginger's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Lancs Harp View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Holidayed in Edinburgh once as a child, had an Irish Wolfhound, lobby of his mansion is painted apple green. Hates Rangers but as of yet doesnt know why. Minted he'll do.
    Quote Originally Posted by MelbourneHibees View Post
    Melbourne City relatively recently were taken over by the City group. It turned off a lot of loyal Melbourne Heart fans back then. They were made to change their primary colours to the sky blue of man City (previously known for red and white stripes). Of course their name changed as well. Hibernian City anyone?

City Group also took over Girona FC in Spain.

https://www.cityfootballgroup.com/me...-investors.pdf

They seem to have kept kept their name and colours. They did get relegated though.

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by greenginger View Post
    City Group also took over Girona FC in Spain.

https://www.cityfootballgroup.com/me...-investors.pdf

They seem to have kept kept their name and colours. They did get relegated though.
    There was a lengthy article about the city group posted, maybe on the PM board, explaining that if the team has a long history and association with a colour then the colour is Kept.

It’s only new teams or smaller teams that can be rebranded that have the city group blue.

Hibs would stay green if it happened

@hibs.net private member jacomo's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by HFC93 View Post
    One thing I'll never get is people who say they would stop supporting Hibs if x bought us. It's an absolute nonsense.

Just you wait and see.

Quote Originally Posted by Colr View Post
    Yes. I certainly would miss all our champions league games.

What is the point of being bought by billionaires if not to provide game changing investment in the team?

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by jacomo View Post
    Just you wait and see.
    I’d be pretty sure that the numbers that would leave in protest would be far outnumbered by the number of fans, glory hunters or not, who’d turn up to watch a better performing Hibs team.

@hibs.net private member bingo70's Avatar
    What is the point of being bought by billionaires if not to provide game changing investment in the team?
    I’m not entirely sure if you’re being serious or if this is a whoosh moment for me but I think there’s plenty point.

Im not interested in the a city group buying us and chucking loads of money at us, that simply isn’t happening. What we would have though is owners who know what they’re doing, want to own the club and have a strategy/plan for the future as well as an infrastructure and network that we can benefit from.

Just now I don’t think we have any of those things and while we are in safe hands in terms of the club continuing to exist, I don’t think we will kick on and progress.

Quote Originally Posted by Just_Jimmy View Post
    He's a manchester guy with links to united growing up. He's not arsed about hibs in a tin pot league. Why would he be? He's not buying united anyway.

Sent from my SM-G991B using Tapatalk
    Quote Originally Posted by ErinGoBraghHFC View Post
    I like beer but I still won’t drink Carling. He’s never interested in Hibs, because the overall product of Scottish football is ****.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    How do you lot know what billionaires find interesting

The guy owns a French football club who probably have about as much chance of winning their league as Hibs do going by the fact they haven't won it since the mid 70s. He isn't French or from Nice either, so roots in the area don't seem to be a make or break factor to him. He's also sunk vast amounts into an America's cup boat, a sporting event 99% of the world couldn't give a rats arse about, I wonder what his childhood link to yacht racing is.

As others have pointed out Billionaires have egos ... the sort of thing that makes guys like Richard Branson fly balloons across the Atlantic and build space ships and Elon Musk pish billions up the wall buying twitter, this is a man who has already shown his heart lies in the sporting world. Any owner who could drive a Scottish football club to break a 40 year old duopoly of our league would make headlines across the sporting world, even more so if it could make a dent in the Europa league. How many of us give a **** about baseball, but it still made the BBC news when the Red Sox finally won the world series.

If you are going to bust the Ugly sisters closed shop Hibs are exactly the team you need to buy. A big latent fanbase which could easily fill a 23,000 capacity revamped Easter Road if motivated by a good team and good results .... If you can't sell the attraction of what could be done with Hibs with the right investment you totally lack imagination ... we are most of the way to a top class stadium, most of the way to a top class training facility and we have the support .... Leading this club to winning the league could have you pressing the flesh all over the football world.

I think that makes us an extremely attractive proposition for folk with deep pockets and money to burn ..... we just need to point the right folk in our direction and sell the proposition to them.
    Last edited by NAE NOOKIE; 10-04-2023 at 12:28 PM.

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by Daniel 1875 View Post
    ‘We need new ownership’ means we need someone/a company to have £7m or so to buy a 67% stake in a Scottish football club though.

Where Sir Tom seemed to care about who he sold to, we’ve no guarantees the Gordons will do the same. Given the current state of the economy it’s not a given someone will have that money to part with for a football team in Scotland, and if they do have that money - who knows what type of person will win the bid?
    Or if HS could persuade 7000 Hibs fans to part with £1000 each in some sort of deal with the Gordon family? Im assuming HS have around 2-2500 donators. If it was an existential issue re Hibs survival would another 4-6000 Hibs fans pony up?

Quote Originally Posted by bingo70 View Post
    I’m not entirely sure if you’re being serious or if this is a whoosh moment for me but I think there’s plenty point.

Im not interested in the a city group buying us and chucking loads of money at us, that simply isn’t happening. What we would have though is owners who know what they’re doing, want to own the club and have a strategy/plan for the future as well as an infrastructure and network that we can benefit from.

Just now I don’t think we have any of those things and while we are in safe hands in terms of the club continuing to exist, I don’t think we will kick on and progress.

What would that plan be, other than a guarantee we would never be allowed a chance at qualifying for the champions league, or any competition in which another city group club was involved?

Quote Originally Posted by hibee-boys View Post
    I’d be pretty sure that the numbers that would leave in protest would be far outnumbered by the number of fans, glory hunters or not, who’d turn up to watch a better performing Hibs team.

You’re probably right.

Most people couldn’t care less, so long as they personally see a benefit.

Quote Originally Posted by MelbourneHibees View Post

As I’ve said elsewhere, uefa rules mean we would never be allowed to put together a title challenge if owned by city group.

@hibs.net private member
    A few dozen would stop going and be very vocal, thousands would replace them though. I'm sure some city fans stopped going but they are expanding their stadium again next year. Not that I think it's going to happen

@hibs.net private member
    As I’ve said elsewhere, uefa rules mean we would never be allowed to put together a title challenge if owned by city group.
    Like the two red bull teams that are in champions league at the same time

Is that really on your radar as a potential problem?

@hibs.net private member Billy Whizz's Avatar
    Why is that

Quote Originally Posted by Billy Whizz View Post
    Why is that

UEFA say that no one is allowed to own two or more clubs in the same competition.

Quote Originally Posted by bingo70 View Post
    Is that really on your radar as a potential problem?

People are getting giddy because they think a takeover by city group would enable Hibs to become a force in Scottish football. I’m just pointing out the obvious flaw in that thinking.

@hibs.net private member Billy Whizz's Avatar
    UEFA say that no one is allowed to own two or more clubs in the same competition.
    What’s the script with the Red Bull teams?

People are getting giddy because they think a takeover by city group would enable Hibs to become a force in Scottish football. I’m just pointing out the obvious flaw in that thinking.
    Are they? That’s not the tone I’m getting from this thread. I’m sure most are pretty realistic to know any investment wouldn’t be Man City levels of funding. I’m getting a bit giddy at what non financial support they could offer the club in terms of ambition, strategy and the relationship with the other clubs within the group. If they can chuck a few quid our way as well then great.

Quote Originally Posted by NAE NOOKIE View Post
    How do you lot know what billionaires find interesting

The guy owns a French football club who probably have about as much chance of winning their league as Hibs do going by the fact they haven't won it since the mid 70s. He isn't French or from Nice either, so roots in the area don't seem to be a make or break factor to him. He's also sunk vast amounts into an America's cup boat, a sporting event 99% of the world couldn't give a rats arse about, I wonder what his childhood link to yacht racing is.

As others have pointed out Billionaires have egos ... the sort of thing that makes guys like Richard Branson fly balloons across the Atlantic and build space ships and Elon Musk pish billions up the wall buying twitter, this is a man who has already shown his heart lies in the sporting world. Any owner who could drive a Scottish football club to break a 40 year old duopoly of our league would make headlines across the sporting world, even more so if it could make a dent in the Europa league. How many of us give a **** about baseball, but it still made the BBC news when the Red Sox finally won the world series.

If you are going to bust the Ugly sisters closed shop Hibs are exactly the team you need to buy. A big latent fanbase which could easily fill a 23,000 capacity revamped Easter Road if motivated by a good team and good results .... If you can't sell the attraction of what could be done with Hibs with the right investment you totally lack imagination ... we are most of the way to a top class stadium, most of the way to a top class training facility and we have the support .... Leading this club to winning the league could have you pressing the flesh all over the football world.

I think that makes us an extremely attractive proposition for folk with deep pockets and money to burn ..... we just need to point the right folk in our direction and sell the proposition to them.
    He has a base out in France, Monaco I think. Nice is a Nice part of the world.

Just drop him and line and see what he says? Hopefully I'm wrong and he throws us a couple of hundred million.

Sent from my SM-G991B using Tapatalk

@hibs.net private member
    It's easily sorted with administration so both teams qualify OK whilst both owned by red bull. As if Radcliffe would buy man u thinking only either them or nice could be in the champs league

Absolutely hope not.

But I think this rumour comes from LJ mouthing off about his personal relationship with Man City, not sure there is more to it than that.

Just bear in mind that IF it happened, Hibs would never be allowed to qualify for the champions league, so there would not be a title-challenging investment in the team.
    https://www.espn.co.uk/football/uefa...ownership-rule

Think another City group team in the Conference League might be more of a worry though.

https://www.skysports.com/football/n...er-uefa-ruling

RB claim they don't own Salzburg any more and are just a sponsor. Think it's pretty complex ownership structure behind it all though.

Quote Originally Posted by JeMeSouviens View Post
    https://www.espn.co.uk/football/uefa...ownership-rule

Think another City group team in the Conference League might be more of a worry though.
    And if it doesn’t happen, Hibs will also never qualify for the champions league.

@hibs.net private member WhileTheChief..'s Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by AgentDaleCooper View Post
    yup. Partick for me if that happens, until Hibs become fan owned. I'd honestly rather support a Hibs who know who they are and run by people who genuinely care about the club than a Hibs buying their way into competing with the OF whilst helping some horrible ersewipe look good.
    We had that for decades under STF, and RG certainly seemed to care. We just need to find someone else similar.

Or maybe we don't.

Maybe McPherson or Kensall will update us with a new 5 year plan or such like at the end of the season. Just need to see this one through before anything will happen I think.

I'm considering putting in a bid for Hibs myself.

Just bought a house, though, so funds are a bit limited.

While this story is likely not true I’d say that there is a very good chance that the club is currently but quietly up for sale. I think we’ll see some change next season.

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by Ozyhibby View Post
    While this story is likely not true I’d say that there is a very good chance that the club is currently but quietly up for sale. I think we’ll see some change next season.

What makes you think this?