hibs.net Messageboard

Page 12 of 12 FirstFirst ... 2101112

Thread: New ownership

Quote Originally Posted by CapitalGreen View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I don’t think we will be sold. I believe Ron and Kit bought Hibs with the long term succession plan of handing it on to Ian. Similar to how they set up their eldest son up with a vineyard in Napa Valley. Obviously, Ron’s death was untimely and Ian isn’t experienced enough to take over the running of a football club at this time. However, Ian and his wife have moved to Scotland and he has spent the last 2 years working at HTC, you don’t do that if you have no interest in the club.

IMO, any future relationship with the City Football Group would be as a long term strategic partner club. This would give the club access to CFG’s football expertise, technology, and best practices while giving the CFG an avenue to bring players to train and play in the UK who otherwise wouldn’t receive a work permit at Man City. In their recent presentation of a new Asian partner club it was announced that “CFG will also help develop the club’s technical and management expertise through practical learning experiences at clubs within CFG’s global network.” I imagine a similar arrangement could be highly beneficial for IG.

Finally, I can’t see Man City (I know it would technically be CFG) buying another club in the UK. The idea of a British club buying another British footballing institution lock, stock and barrel would be very poorly received by the football authorities and respective governments. At a time of increasing scrutiny from the government of football ownership in the UK, CFG owning a Scottish football team outright wouldn’t be worth the hassle it would bring.
    Actually a good point re Ian Gordon. If he wasn't into it he wouldn't have been so involved. Not sure what it means, him having to take on the main gig so soon and without his dad, but hey... sometimes the unexpected happens

2. Log in to remove the advert

Left by mutual consent!
    This is speculation but there's been a number of Asians recently who have impressed in European football and can be bought for cheap prices. Celtic being the obvious example then there's the lad at Brighton who cost peanuts as well. Maybe they want to feed players from that area into a team they own or co own within the UK?

Left by mutual consent!
    Quote Originally Posted by Greenio View Post
    Actually a good point re Ian Gordon. If he wasn't into it he wouldn't have been so involved. Not sure what it means, him having to take on the main gig so soon and without his dad, but hey... sometimes the unexpected happens
    That's why MM has been brought back. He's a very experienced and capable guy who knows the game up here inside out. From what I've heard about IG he seems to be learning how recruitment works more than anything else.

Quote Originally Posted by Torto7 View Post
    That's why MM has been brought back. He's a very experienced and capable guy who knows the game up here inside out. From what I've heard about IG he seems to be learning how recruitment works more than anything else.
    I made that same point the other day
    His appointment suggested to me that Ron knowing how his health was ailing wanted someone in to advise the likes of Ian
    Hindsight ,yes.
    But makes me think that the Gordon's do wish to carry on Ron's work at Hibernian.

Quote Originally Posted by Mick O'Rourke View Post
    I made that same point the other day
    His appointment suggested to me that Ron knowing how his health was ailing wanted someone in to advise the likes of Ian
    Hindsight ,yes.
    But makes me think that the Gordon's do wish to carry on Ron's work at Hibernian.
    It doesn’t feel like there is anything going on at the club just now though? It feels like we are drifting?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Torto7 View Post
    That's a bit worrying.

I wonder who IG is learning from about recruitment.

Quote Originally Posted by Ozyhibby View Post
    It doesn’t feel like there is anything going on at the club just now though? It feels like we are drifting?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Agree Ozy. Nothing at all. All very flat

Has this rumour fizzled out or does anyone think it may still be possible?

@hibs.net private member jacomo's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by CapitalGreen View Post
    I don’t think we will be sold. I believe Ron and Kit bought Hibs with the long term succession plan of handing it on to Ian. Similar to how they set up their eldest son up with a vineyard in Napa Valley. Obviously, Ron’s death was untimely and Ian isn’t experienced enough to take over the running of a football club at this time. However, Ian and his wife have moved to Scotland and he has spent the last 2 years working at HTC, you don’t do that if you have no interest in the club.

IMO, any future relationship with the City Football Group would be as a long term strategic partner club. This would give the club access to CFG’s football expertise, technology, and best practices while giving the CFG an avenue to bring players to train and play in the UK who otherwise wouldn’t receive a work permit at Man City. In their recent presentation of a new Asian partner club it was announced that “CFG will also help develop the club’s technical and management expertise through practical learning experiences at clubs within CFG’s global network.” I imagine a similar arrangement could be highly beneficial for IG.

Finally, I can’t see Man City (I know it would technically be CFG) buying another club in the UK. The idea of a British club buying another British footballing institution lock, stock and barrel would be very poorly received by the football authorities and respective governments. At a time of increasing scrutiny from the government of football ownership in the UK, CFG owning a Scottish football team outright wouldn’t be worth the hassle it would bring.

Cheers, you make a lot of sense.

By all accounts Ian has well and truly caught the bug and is really involved. He’s taken flack for his player recruitment but he’s tried to bring exciting, young attacking players to the club. I wish him all the best - having a DoF now in place will surely help us (and him) a lot. He needs the right people in place and empower them to deliver great work.

@hibs.net private member ian cruise's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by jacomo View Post
    Cheers, you make a lot of sense.

By all accounts Ian has well and truly caught the bug and is really involved. He’s taken flack for his player recruitment but he’s tried to bring exciting, young attacking players to the club. I wish him all the best - having a DoF now in place will surely help us (and him) a lot. He needs the right people in place and empower them to deliver great work.
    I actually had (still have) no problem with the recruitment strategy last season. Aye it didn't work out, but it was worth a shot. Had it worked we could have ended up with the next golden generation and have stolen a march on the competition the way Celtic have managed to unearth some absolute gems on a small budget compared to other teams in European competition, and the club didn't repeat the mistakes in the summer window when it was obvious it wasn't working.