hibs.net Messageboard

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Soccer AM Axed

I quite like Bullard.

2. Log in to remove the advert

This post has too many utterances of 'banter' for my liking, but nevertheless - when the banter was natural, good guests, really funny skits and good chemistry amongst everyone involved, it was great TV.

Once guests, fans of the week, presenters (BULLARD) and crew all decided to make it all 'top bins', 'worldies', 'tekkers' and everything warranting a gigantic 'WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY' and mass group hugs when even half a joke was attempted, the banter got very VERY up its own ****.

Glory Lurker. Left midfielder.

[Boot...donk...scenes]

@hibs.net private member blackpoolhibs's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by HUTCHYHIBBY View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    "Characters" accurately summed up by Sean Lock at the start of this clip.😀

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=xmYaer...ature=youtu.be
    Just watched that, Sean was a genius.

Quote Originally Posted by blackpoolhibs View Post
    Just watched that, Sean was a genius.
    Very much so. The Madonna female role model routine is right up there. So many to choose from! 👏

@hibs.net private member NORTHERNHIBBY's Avatar
    Soccer AM with Hells Bells and Lovejoy was one of the reasons why I got SKY. Can't remember why and when I stopped watching it but I suppose that I outgrew it.

Blog Entries
    Gamer IDs

PSN ID: Euphoria1875
    At its peak it was the best show on TV and would watch it every week before heading to see hibs. As others have said it our stayed its welcome.

@hibs.net private member Pagan Hibernia's Avatar
    I was more of a Saint and Greavsie man myself

Testimonial Due
    Twitter etc has killed it. It was incredible television in the early 00s.

@hibs.net private member
    I tune in on a Saturday if I’m free or watch the highlights during the week, going against the grain it looks like but I enjoy it🤷🏼😂

@hibs.net private member LaMotta's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by hibee-boys View Post
    I tune in on a Saturday if I’m free or watch the highlights during the week, going against the grain it looks like but I enjoy it🤷🏼😂
    I watched it on Saturday and thought it was ok. For all the people that are delighted its going, I can only imagine how horrified they will be when they find out its being replaced by Saturday Social with the likes of Thogden and Pieface presenting.

EEN running with the story of the time the ccs made an appearance back in 2000.

Was must see Saturday TV 20 odd years ago, cant remember when i last watched it

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by hibee-boys View Post
    I’m the same I’ve recently started working from home every 2nd sat and really got back into it leaves a bit of a hole to fill for background tv

Quote Originally Posted by HFC93 View Post
    Twitter etc has killed it. It was incredible television in the early 00s.
    Absolutely. 20-25 years ago, it was the only place you could see an english league 1 centre back kicking the ball off his face and into his own goal. Or it was the only place you could see someone in the crowd getting hit by the ball and dropping their pie and bovril.

Now if that happens, it's all over the internet within 5 minutes and a week later when Soccer AM gets round to it, it's ancient news.

I used to love watching it when they would get random big american celebrities on and make them choose an english team out of a tombola and nonsense like that.

First Team Breakthrough
    Quote Originally Posted by Dmas View Post
    I’m the same I’ve recently started working from home every 2nd sat and really got back into it leaves a bit of a hole to fill for background tv
    Same for me. Good background TV if I'm working on a Saturday morning. What's the other options? Cooking shows and the same 4 episodes of the Simpsons from 30 years ago on loop.

Quote Originally Posted by Broken Gnome View Post
    This post has too many utterances of 'banter' for my liking, but nevertheless - when the banter was natural, good guests, really funny skits and good chemistry amongst everyone involved, it was great TV.

Once guests, fans of the week, presenters (BULLARD) and crew all decided to make it all 'top bins', 'worldies', 'tekkers' and everything warranting a gigantic 'WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY' and mass group hugs when even half a joke was attempted, the banter got very VERY up its own ****.
    Symbolic of football/youth/modern day/social media patter nowadays for me.

Groups of grown adults running about screaming and chasing each other because someone nutmegged their teammate at training.

WTF?

@hibs.net private member WhileTheChief..'s Avatar
    Back in the day when I was in my 20s I watched it and read things like Loaded and FHM. It's not so much that the show is crap now, we've just all grown up and have different tastes.

Same applies to so many things we liked in our youth but dislike as we get older.

Remember Cremola Foam or Smash Instant potato? Used to love them, but they're actually pure rank!

Quote Originally Posted by LaMotta View Post
    With around 480 channels to choose from, it never ceases to amaze me how many people got angry about a TV programme being on that no one was forcing them to watch.

I get what you're saying but I don't think it rings true here, those who pay for Sky pay an arm and a leg, it's safe to say all their time and energy goes into making Soccer AM and not much else in a way of Saturday morning football magazine shows, so if those who pay for it aren't happy with it they're more than entitled to complain about it in the hope that whatever replaces it will be something that they will have interest in.

If Sky were taking Soccer AM in a different direction while still catering to the lapsed fans via their other channels I'd say fair enough but they're not.

Quote Originally Posted by Nutmegged View Post
    I get what you're saying but I don't think it rings true here, those who pay for Sky pay an arm and a leg, it's safe to say all their time and energy goes into making Soccer AM and not much else in a way of Saturday morning football magazine shows, so if those who pay for it aren't happy with it they're more than entitled to complain about it in the hope that whatever replaces it will be something that they will have interest in.

If Sky were taking Soccer AM in a different direction while still catering to the lapsed fans via their other channels I'd say fair enough but they're not.
    Surely no one is really paying for Sky Sports for their Saturday morning show?! Its all about the live football. Maybe live golf for some.

Also anybody paying an arm and leg for Sky these days is off their rocker. Can get very reasonable discounted deals through haggling, although i reckon most people these days watch it using IPTV subs, which are dirt cheap.

Gamer IDs

PSN ID: Sheggs84
    Fenners came out and said it’s not 100% being axed, seems like Iptv is catching up to sky with restructure taking place and a lot of people having to reapply for their roles, Geoff Shreeves the reporter jobs is in danger too
    Last edited by 1875Sean; 25-03-2023 at 09:45 AM.

@hibs.net private member mayo hibee's Avatar
    The decline of their weekend morning output is just another case of Sky being Sky again. Why spend money on sets and guests and journalists when you can just get a load of YouTubers on for pennies in return for flashing their insta handle on screen every 30 seconds while they talk absolute crap about football on a rubbish zoom connection from the basement of their their parents' house?

The irony is that the target market they're now aiming for aren't paying for a Sky sub anyway, they're just watching it all on IPTV or internet streams.

Apart from the live sport itself the only thing worth watching on sky sports now is Soccer Saturday. And I'd say that will be taken over by the YouTubers in a few years as well once Stelling goes.

Quote Originally Posted by mayo hibee View Post
    The decline of their weekend morning output is just another case of Sky being Sky again. Why spend money on sets and guests and journalists when you can just get a load of YouTubers on for pennies in return for flashing their insta handle on screen every 30 seconds while they talk absolute crap about football on a rubbish zoom connection from the basement of their their parents' house?

The irony is that the target market they're now aiming for aren't paying for a Sky sub anyway, they're just watching it all on IPTV or internet streams.

Apart from the live sport itself the only thing worth watching on sky sports now is Soccer Saturday. And I'd say that will be taken over by the YouTubers in a few years as well once Stelling goes.
    If a YouTuber makes it on TV, the odds are they're not living in their parents basement. More likely their parents are living in a house the YouTuber bought for them.

I don't think it's some cheap option. Big YouTubers are millionaires.
    Last edited by MWHIBBIES; 25-03-2023 at 11:25 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by LaMotta View Post
    Surely no one is really paying for Sky Sports for their Saturday morning show?! Its all about the live football. Maybe live golf for some.

Also anybody paying an arm and leg for Sky these days is off their rocker. Can get very reasonable discounted deals through haggling, although i reckon most people these days watch it using IPTV subs, which are dirt cheap.
    I agree, if you pay for Sky you'll be doing it for the Live sport but Soccer AM feeds into that first live game, if Sky were doing a big pre matchday magazine show then I don't think folk would complain about Soccer AM but they understandably don't want to make two football based Saturday morning shows which makes sense, why would you compete against yourself? However if losing that meant possibly making something that would appeal to a viewer then I can see why they would moan.

I'm with you, I don't know anyone now who pays for Sky.

Quote Originally Posted by Tambo View Post
    EEN running with the story of the time the ccs made an appearance back in 2000.

What, all of them?

@hibs.net private member mayo hibee's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by MWHIBBIES View Post
    If a YouTuber makes it on TV, the odds are they're not living in their parents basement. More likely their parents are living in a house the YouTuber bought for them.

I don't think it's some cheap option. Big YouTubers are millionaires.
    Sure they are, but for every big YouTuber there's 100 more wannabes living at home with their parents throwing out "content" and earning **** all. I don't think the Saturday Social that's replacing Soccer AM will be pulling in too many multi millionaire YouTubers somehow.

Most of the social media crowd that pop up on Sky Sports slots instead of the journalists they used to have on seem to be social media bloggers from the likes of "Hail Hail 67 blog" or similar crap.

It's cost savings from Sky, pure and simple. They're a company in massive decline. Can see them getting bought out by one of the international big boys in a few years actually.

Great back in the day but had run it’s course. In part due to the changes in attitudes, some of the stuff they got away with was hilarious but would see them cancelled today.

Instead we had that “kicking it with the kamita’s” stuff, painful.

Sure they are, but for every big YouTuber there's 100 more wannabes living at home with their parents throwing out "content" and earning **** all. I don't think the Saturday Social that's replacing Soccer AM will be pulling in too many multi millionaire YouTubers somehow.

Most of the social media crowd that pop up on Sky Sports slots instead of the journalists they used to have on seem to be social media bloggers from the likes of "Hail Hail 67 blog" or similar crap.

It's cost savings from Sky, pure and simple. They're a company in massive decline. Can see them getting bought out by one of the international big boys in a few years actually.
    You act like there is something wrong with those people trying to make a living doing something they enjoy. Good for them. "Living with their parents" shouldn't be some kind of insult these days. Or any days. It's ****ing difficult to get your own place. Greedy landlords, greedier Tories and rising living costs have done that.

Skys content certainly has been declining. But really, who cares? It's a ridiculously overpriced service, always has been really. Some of these football blogs, podcasts, and YouTube channels offer far better insight.

Quote Originally Posted by Nutmegged View Post
    I agree, if you pay for Sky you'll be doing it for the Live sport but Soccer AM feeds into that first live game, if Sky were doing a big pre matchday magazine show then I don't think folk would complain about Soccer AM but they understandably don't want to make two football based Saturday morning shows which makes sense, why would you compete against yourself? However if losing that meant possibly making something that would appeal to a viewer then I can see why they would moan.

I'm with you, I don't know anyone now who pays for Sky.
    Good points mate

@hibs.net private member
    You do know they’re already owned by Comcast right?