Less talk, more gifs. 21.05.16

2. Log in to remove the advert

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by SteveHFC View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Axed after 28 years.
    Didn’t know it was still going.

@hibs.net private member Oscar T Grouch's Avatar
    18 years too late, became stale pretty fast. Watched it a few years back and it was painful to watch. TV execs hate to let go of hits that they have but this often leads to great programs, which this was at the start, losing their soul and becoming mundane TV

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former.

About time. Been ***** for about 10 years.

I watched it on Saturday and really quite enjoyed it.

Shame.

I played on Saturday mornings when it was at it’s peak and so could only really watch it later although I’ve certainly drifted away in recent years.

A mercy killing.

Tbh whilst I thought it was almost unmissable in the early 00s with Tim and Helen, that period really hasn't aged well. The soccerette and the associated banter was pretty grim albeit it's easier to say that at 36 than it was at 16.
    PM Awards General Poster of The Year 2015, 2016, 2017. Probably robbed in other years

I'm sure plenty will be quick to slate the recent version but it still had a place IMO. There's nothing else quite like it and it also offered young upcoming bands a TV slot that they won't get elsewhere.

Presumably the audience just isn't there. It was hangover TV in my younger days before you went out again to the game/pub on Saturday. Probably these days the younger audience are watching Tiktok and team podcast/fan made type content.

Quote Originally Posted by Tyler Durden View Post
    I'm sure plenty will be quick to slate the recent version but it still had a place IMO. There's nothing else quite like it and it also offered young upcoming bands a TV slot that they won't get elsewhere.

Presumably the audience just isn't there. It was hangover TV in my younger days before you went out again to the game/pub on Saturday. Probably these days the younger audience are watching Tiktok and team podcast/fan made type content.
    That’s it I think. It used to be a way of getting access to teams other than games but that is widespread on social media now. Used to love showboat, crossbar challenge etc. used to get huge names in as guests too.

@hibs.net private member blackpoolhibs's Avatar
    Loved it with Tim and Helen, only seen brief bits of since Rushden and Helen were the hosts, Jimmy Bullard does my nut in, and couldnt tell you who the other hosts are of have been since Rushden and Helen.

I suppose some folk still watch it, but at my age its not something i watch or have done in years.

@hibs.net private member LancsHibs's Avatar
    Was crap since Tim Lovejoy left. Funny when the CCS were on it😂

Absolutely dreadful show. About time.

Quote Originally Posted by blackpoolhibs View Post
    Loved it with Tim and Helen, only seen brief bits of since Rushden and Helen were the hosts, Jimmy Bullard does my nut in, and couldnt tell you who the other hosts are of have been since Rushden and Helen.

I suppose some folk still watch it, but at my age its not something i watch or have done in years.
    Bullard is about as funny as having nails hammered into your eyes. He was annoying when he was a player and is even worse as a TV personality.

One of those people for whom the word 'character' roughly translates as a 'total ****ing a***'.
    PM Awards General Poster of The Year 2015, 2016, 2017. Probably robbed in other years

@hibs.net private member SteveHFC's Avatar
    https://youtu.be/T6l4lT00Pgs

When it was good.
    Less talk, more gifs. 21.05.16

@hibs.net private member JimBHibees's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Pretty Boy View Post
    Bullard is about as funny as having nails hammered into your eyes. He was annoying when he was a player and is even worse as a TV personality.

One of those people for whom the word 'character' roughly translates as a 'total ****ing a***'.
    Not a fan 😂

@hibs.net private member LaMotta's Avatar
    With around 480 channels to choose from, it never ceases to amaze me how many people got angry about a TV programme being on that no one was forcing them to watch.

Quote Originally Posted by MWHIBBIES View Post
    Absolutely dreadful show. About time.
    I think it is now but not when it was Tim and Helen. Was very funny when they did it

Its absolutely fine as a morning show. But clearly its cheaper to just show re-runs off games from the 90s instead. Compared to Sportscene its Oscar winning stuff.

Only time I ever remembered if was on was when folk were complaining about it, not watched it for about 20 years.

Hopefully Sky do a proper Saturday morning football magazine show that covers Scotland as well, a dream I know.

@hibs.net private member Carheenlea's Avatar
    As a 53 year old, for our generation it captured that mid-90’s vibe when we were in our 20’s and the humour, music, skits and sketches was of huge appeal.

As you grow up a lot of that is left behind, and when the show evolved after losing key hosts and team that magic diluted quite quickly.

The youth of today probably have no interest in such shows now and its demise was inevitable.

Shame to see it go though, but honestly couldn’t tell you when I last watched it. Certainly over a decade now.

Quote Originally Posted by SteveHFC View Post
    Axed after 28 years.
    It should have been axed years ago. Outdated lads mag garbage.
    Every gimmick hungry yob,
    Digging gold from rock and roll
    Grabs the mic to tell us,
    He'll die before he's sold.

@hibs.net private member Mon Dieu4's Avatar
    When it was Tim, Helen, Fenners, Sheephead, Robbie Knox etc it was amazing, World Cup Wall, Fixtures Man, the Wrestlers, Save Chip, the annual dance off

Definitely a product of it's time though

Quote Originally Posted by marinello59 View Post
    It should have been axed years ago. Outdated lads mag garbage.
    When was the last time you watched it? What parts of the recent output would be lads mag garbage?

Quote Originally Posted by LaMotta View Post
    With around 480 channels to choose from, it never ceases to amaze me how many people got angry about a TV programme being on that no one was forcing them to watch.
    😁 I doubt it’ll be replaced with anything that those posting, glad it’s axed, will be overjoyed at either.

Having said that it’s not something I ever watch either.

@hibs.net private member Scouse Hibee's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Mon Dieu4 View Post
    When it was Tim, Helen, Fenners, Sheephead, Robbie Knox etc it was amazing, World Cup Wall, Fixtures Man, the Wrestlers, Save Chip, the annual dance off

It’s was brilliant then, haven’t watched if for years.

Quote Originally Posted by Tyler Durden View Post
    When was the last time you watched it? What parts of the recent output would be lads mag garbage?
    Just what I thought when I read that post. Nothing about it is lads mag.

I think it is a shame it is going, they could maybe have given it a bit of a rebrand by changing the presenters and some of the regular features. Hopefully they replace it with another football show. Maybe Sky have bought the rights to Open Goal with Simon Ferry and Slaney etc. 😮

I'm here all week 😆👍

@hibs.net private member blackpoolhibs's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Mon Dieu4 View Post

It went through a period where it was brilliant, every Saturday morning i'd watch it religiously.

Some of the clips you can find on youtube are just hilarious, but we are not allowed to laugh at them these days.

I'd love them to repeat the early shows, but there is as much chance of that happening as me biting my own arse.

Quote Originally Posted by 007 View Post
    Just what I thought when I read that post. Nothing about it is lads mag.

I think it is a shame it is going, they could maybe have given it a bit of a rebrand by changing the presenters and some of the regular features. Hopefully they replace it with another football show. Maybe Sky have bought the rights to Open Goal with Simon Ferry and Slaney etc. 😮
    I think in it's prime it was pure lads mag. That wasn't always plain sailing for the presenters either; when she was in a relationship with James Wade Helen Chamberlain was subjected to thousands of darts fans chanting 'does she take it up the....' at every event she attended.

Things like that and grown men asking a teenage girl how old she was and the whole 'great age' banter just wouldn't fly these days. Most of the original audience simply grew up, you can see that with Lovejoy himself. He's gone from the laddish Soccer AM to presenting Sunday Brunch on Channel 4 which is about as bland and middle of the road it gets. That's not to say you can't look back on these things fondly but equally you have to realise the world has changed.

That's probably behind the demise of the show. The audience from the late 90s and early to mid 00s are all at least 35 now and probably taking their kids to ballet or swimming on a Saturday morning. The show had to move with the times but that left them in a position where they still don't appeal to the younger viewer and the older viewer who didn't grow up won't watch because it's 'too woke' now.

I've seen limited episodes of the recent output but what I have seen is just dull. Bullard hogging the limelight and taking the challenges too seriously and insipid content with little identity. As I said before I loved the show 20+ years ago but there was content that was definitely 'of it's time' and highly questionable now. Perhaps any new audience they hoped to attract who weren't into or were born after the 'FHM and Nuts era' simply weren't willing to give it's new incarnation a chance

Quote Originally Posted by Pretty Boy View Post

"Characters" accurately summed up by Sean Lock at the start of this clip.😀

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=xmYaer...ature=youtu.be

Live British football/music TV shows from the 90s until about 2002 was edgy as hell, doesn't matter what time of day it was on, whether it was Soccer AM at 9am, TFI Friday at 6pm or The Word at 10pm, it had personality and attitude, I don't think they were in bad taste at the time but they pushed the envelope and boundaries

As wild as you can be, there was only so far you can push those boundaries for Morning TV though and I'd imagine with the growth in social media and everyone being able to voice their criticism so instantly and so publicly, sponsors would be heavily involved in a more sanitised format.
    Last edited by Nutmegged; 22-03-2023 at 11:15 PM.