hibs.net Messageboard

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Health risk Oriam

Surely not! Thought it was supposed to be top class.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/65029088

2. Log in to remove the advert

Hearts should refuse to pay their rent, again.

Quote Originally Posted by theonlywayisup View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Surely not! Thought it was supposed to be top class.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/65029088
    Spin. They just hate coming further east than Harthill.

@hibs.net private member G15 Hibs's Avatar
    Willie Haughey helped the SFA out with buying Hampden. Willie Haughey is a significant funder of Queen's Park. Queen's Park own Lesser Hampden. Scotland are now training at Lesser Hampden (presumably for a fee). Hmm.

@hibs.net private member SteveHFC's Avatar
    Less talk, more gifs. 21.05.16

@hibs.net private member BILLYHIBS's Avatar
    So the Big Team don’t even have a decent place to train ?

Who knew ?

@hibs.net private member Alfred E Newman's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by BILLYHIBS View Post
    So the Big Team don’t even have a decent place to train ?

Who knew ?

But I thought it was their training centre.

Quote Originally Posted by G15 Hibs View Post
    Willie Haughey helped the SFA out with buying Hampden. Willie Haughey is a significant funder of Queen's Park. Queen's Park own Lesser Hampden. Scotland are now training at Lesser Hampden (presumably for a fee). Hmm.
    Aye... The stuff about accommodation sounds nonsense as well.

As for Oriam, Hearts train in a different area. As do the rugby team.
    They actually developed a pitch to the exact dimensions of Hampden for the sole use of the Scotland squad.
    A ropey pitch that cuts up sounds very like the national stadium too.

I remember attending a Heriot-Watt University open day a couple years back with my daughter at the Oriam.

The presenter eulogised about it being a high performance centre and reeled off the names of the clubs/teams that use the facilities regularly. Apart from the Scottish national teams (Rugby & Football), no one of note use it. He then stated the high performance centre is rented by The Yam.

This produced a fair amounts of chuckles and glances from the audience when The Yam and high performance were mentioned in the same breath.

@hibs.net private member Carheenlea's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by number9dream View Post

They actually developed a pitch to the exact dimensions of Hampden for the sole use of the Scotland squad.
    Yes, Hearts also train on a separate pitch that was tailor made to the exact dimensions of Tynecastle. They don't have sole use like the Scotland team do though, as they share it with the national hockey squad.

@hibs.net private member hibsfan7's Avatar

Cool

Well maybe hearts should do what hibs did years ago build their own training centre

Quote Originally Posted by Carheenlea View Post
    Yes, Hearts also train on a separate pitch that was tailor made to the exact dimensions of Tynecastle. They don't have sole use like the Scotland team do though, as they share it with the national hockey squad.
    So that wouldn't have used that much land then😁

Quote Originally Posted by number9dream View Post

The team stay at the Dakota at Maxim Park before the games.

Quote Originally Posted by Iain G View Post
    The team stay at the Dakota at Maxim Park before the games.
    And stayed at the Marriot next to Oriam whilst training, with a switch of hotels night before the games.
    A nonsense way for a national team to prepare for games, I know Steve Clarke was never happy with the arrangements or facilities at Oriam, where everything appears geared towards other sports to be honest.

Quote Originally Posted by Nakedmanoncrack View Post
    And stayed at the Marriot next to Oriam whilst training, with a switch of hotels night before the games.
    A nonsense way for a national team to prepare for games, I know Steve Clarke was never happy with the arrangements or facilities at Oriam, where everything appears geared towards other sports to be honest.
    Like hockey and jamboball?

@hibs.net private member overdrive's Avatar
    A nonsense way for a national team to prepare for games
    An issue that wouldn’t be there if the GFA had decided to switch to Murrayfield.

@hibs.net private member Jones28's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by SteveHFC View Post
    So on one hand you've got Hearts fans with wee dick energy saying wE OwN OUr TrAiNiNG CeNTre.

And on the other hand you've got Hearts fans saying this is a good thing because it helps sort out training time issues...at the training centre they own.

Make your minds up eh lads?
    "...when Hibs won the Scottish Cup final and that celebration, Sunshine on Leith? I don’t think there’s a better football celebration ever in the game.”

Sir Alex Ferguson

Quote Originally Posted by Alfred E Newman View Post
    But I thought it was their training centre.

Some of them think they own it .But dont tell them !!
    When the new stand is finished,i am told that Ben E Factor aka Sugar Daddy,will build a training centre (location tba) to be known as HTC !

I notice they refer to East Mains as "the barn" and ask why do we train outside Edinburgh?
    At least we have more stable training facilities.

Testimonial Due
    Quote Originally Posted by hibsfan7 View Post
    Well maybe hearts should do what hibs did years ago build their own training centre
    Quite astonishing that HMFC have received close to £45m of donations the past few years and still train at a rented facility. Having said that, would anyone trust the team that managed the build of the stand to construct a training centre without bankrupting the club?

I said at the time Oriam was an expensive poorly designed set up.

The indoor pitch has limited seating and is a soulless big cold pitch.

They recently got rid of the cafe.

The student gym is far too small.

The performance gym is so small that Scottish Rugby now have a gazebo outside to do other work.

I’ve heard players get bored senseless staying at the hotel opposite as there is nothing to do near by or at be hotel.

Hearts are fortunate it’s close to their stadium and easy access for youth players but they are lucky to be getting to use these facilities. They have tried to brand parts of it Hearts Academy etc but at the end of the day it’s a public / student open facility you can just walk past reception and watch training if you really wanted to.
    Last edited by GreenCastle; 22-03-2023 at 10:17 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by cocteautwin View Post
    Quite astonishing that HMFC have received close to £45m of donations the past few years and still train at a rented facility. Having said that, would anyone trust the team that managed the build of the stand to construct a training centre without bankrupting the club?
    They really have been very fortunate that a very wealthy fan has pumped so much finance into the club, only for this windfall in the main to have been poorly spent/managed.
    I imagine the benefactor now has more say in how any future cash he donates is used.
    Harry Potter presided over most of that cash input whilst Ann B stood by and let him loose like a child in a sweetie shop.
    Anderson has donated north of £10 million in 8 years or so. That we know about
    I guess the poorly managed construction of the expensive main stand benefitted from his financial input.

Quote Originally Posted by GreenCastle View Post
    I said at the time Oriam was an expensive poorly designed set up.

The indoor pitch has limited seating and is a soulless big cold pitch.

They recently got rid of the cafe.

The student gym is far too small.

The performance gym is so small that Scottish Rugby now have a gazebo outside to do other work.

I’ve heard players get bored senseless staying at the hotel opposite as there is nothing to do near by or at be hotel.

Hearts are fortunate it’s close to their stadium and easy access for youth players but they are lucky to be getting to use these facilities. They have tried to brand parts of it Hearts Academy etc but at the end of the day it’s a public / student open facility you can just walk past reception and watch training if you really wanted to.

I'm a member at Oriam purely for convenience of location, the facilities aren't great to be honest though, could list a whole lot of other gripes on top of the overcrowded gym & cafe closure, e.g. the car parking situation, cold showers, etc.

Why don't Hearts just build their own training ground? Amazing how such a massive, huge, European galavanting superpower who are going to split the old firm rent one.

Testimonial Due
    Quote Originally Posted by Mick O'Rourke View Post
    They really have been very fortunate that a very wealthy fan has pumped so much finance into the club, only for this windfall in the main to have been poorly spent/managed.
    I imagine the benefactor now has more say in how any future cash he donates is used.
    Harry Potter presided over most of that cash input whilst Ann B stood by and let him loose like a child in a sweetie shop.
    Anderson has donated north of £10 million in 8 years or so. That we know about
    I guess the poorly managed construction of the expensive main stand benefitted from his financial input.
    You need to up those numbers Mick. Up to 30 June 2022 Anderson had contributed £21m of simple donations and £3m of sponsorship, so it's quite significantly more than people realise. When you consider their club has also spent nearly £15m of fans donations and £5m+ put in by Budge, that's a lot of cash spent (c£45m) for no silverware. Indeed, by the time they can next win a trophy they'll probably have spent their way through over £50m of donations over and above what they bring in through the normal running of the club.

Quite astonishing failure for a club that is Scotland's 3rd best financed by quite some distance.

@hibs.net private member JimBHibees's Avatar
    You need to up those numbers Mick. Up to 30 June 2022 Anderson had contributed £21m of simple donations and £3m of sponsorship, so it's quite significantly more than people realise. When you consider their club has also spent nearly £15m of fans donations and £5m+ put in by Budge, that's a lot of cash spent (c£45m) for no silverware. Indeed, by the time they can next win a trophy they'll probably have spent their way through over £50m of donations over and above what they bring in through the normal running of the club.

Quite astonishing failure for a club that is Scotland's 3rd best financed by quite some distance.
    Incredible how lucky they landed with Anderson. Wish he had taken up bowls

Testimonial Due
    Quote Originally Posted by JimBHibees View Post
    Lucky for Hearts they’ve had so much free cash.

Lucky for Hibs they’ve not found a management team or Board of Directors with the slightest clue in how to turn it in to trophies.

Gamer IDs

PSN ID: hibee_easty

I'm a member at Oriam purely for convenience of location, the facilities aren't great to be honest though, could list a whole lot of other gripes on top of the overcrowded gym & cafe closure, e.g. the car parking situation, cold showers, etc.
    I'm a member for the same reason, it's walkable distance for me. Been going for about 8 months now.

The gym is small, but I've never once struggled to get on the equipment I want, or not be able to use the weights I'm after. I've been surprised how quiet a gym it is to be honest.

I can almost always get a badminton court when I want one.

I'm not sure if the new tennis courts will be available under the normal membership though? Haven't seen it mentioned anywhere.

Indeed i do !
    Mind boggling figures for a club in Scotland outside Celtic and sevco.
    Goodness knows what this man was thinking
    Unless.... they were in serious financial trouble that prompted him initially to plough vast sums in to Tynecastle
    The building of the new stand was inevitable and needed doing.
    Even if they did make a dugs dinner of its management/planning/ construction/cost.
    Time was running out for the old one.
    Certainly regards continuing H&S certification.
    I sat in it a couple of times at our LC semi finals a few years before it was demolished.It was terrible then .
    They are genuinely very fortunate to have this benefactor.
    Last edited by Mick O'Rourke; 23-03-2023 at 08:54 AM.

@hibs.net private member CapitalGreen's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by JimBHibees View Post
    It wasn’t luck, Anderson approached both Hearts and Hibs at the same time and offered to financially support both clubs equally. Hearts welcomed his offer with open arms while those running Hibs at the time couldn’t have shown less interest. The narrative that he’s some long term Hearts supporter is nonsense.

Quote Originally Posted by CapitalGreen View Post
    It wasn’t luck, Anderson approached both Hearts and Hibs at the same time and offered to financially support both clubs equally. Hearts welcomed his offer with open arms while those running Hibs at the time couldn’t have shown less interest. The narrative that he’s some long term Hearts supporter is nonsense.
    Wow didn't know that. What a silly decision by us!