hibs.net Messageboard

Egan Riley admits he got it wrong about Scottish football

For all Scottish football's fault's and there are many there's also a lot of quality players and some really good games in it and I think it's nice to see a young English footballer who's been surprised by it and acknowledging that there's maybe a incorrect opinion on Scottish football in England . I think Egan-Riley is a very good young player that seems to conduct himself well on and off the park and has a bright future ahead of him . His goal line clearance against Celtic was excellent btw .
    https://www.footballscotland.co.uk/s...-hibs-26502940

2. Log in to remove the advert

Quote Originally Posted by Donegal Hibby View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    For all Scottish football's fault's and there are many there's also a lot of quality players and some really good games in it and I think it's nice to see a young English footballer who's been surprised by it and acknowledging that there's maybe a incorrect opinion on Scottish football in England . I think Egan-Riley is a very good young player that seems to conduct himself well on and off the park and has a bright future ahead of him . His goal line clearance against Celtic was excellent btw .
    https://www.footballscotland.co.uk/s...-hibs-26502940
    Great stuff,DH
    It appears he is enjoying life with the Hibees !

If nothing else, I think Scotland can be an absolutely brilliant place for a talented young player to play lots of football and improve their game whether that is on loan from a bigger English club or as a permanent signing.

Much maligned and not without problems but there is also an awful lot to be said in favour of it.

Egan Riley's loan will probably go on to be considered a great bit of business for both parties and both parties probably deserve credit for it.

Well said that man. He certainly looks a promising player and if he continues to do well here you could see him going on to do well at least at EFL championship level.

What is good about this is it confirms what we all think about English players who come up here ... they are given a false impression of what the game is like, usually by folk who themselves have no real knowledge of Scottish football or Scottish pundits on the likes of Talk Sport who haven't been inside an SPFL stadium outside of Glasgow for about 30 years ... if ever, but think they are qualified to talk, mostly negatively, about the game up here because they still have a Scottish accent.

Folk like CJ Egan - Riley who quickly recognise what the game is and cast aside their preconceptions are far more likely to succeed than those who think it's gonna be a skoosh and refuse to realise the problem is them when they don't make the impact they thought they were going to. The folk who do well here seem to be the ones who buy into it, I'm specifically thinking of folk like Rob Jones, David Murphy and especially Liam Fontaine who fell in love with this club.
    Last edited by NAE NOOKIE; 20-03-2023 at 01:07 PM.

@hibs.net private member Scouse Hibee's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by NAE NOOKIE View Post
    Well said that man. He certainly looks a promising player and if he continues to do well here you could see him going on to do well at least at EFL championship level.

What is good about this is it confirms what we all think about English players who come up here ... they are given a false impression of what the game is like, usually by folk who themselves have no real knowledge of Scottish football or Scottish pundits on the likes of Talk Sport who haven't been inside an SPFL stadium outside of Glasgow for about 30 years ... if ever, but think they are qualified to talk, mostly negatively, about the game up here because they still have a Scottish accent.

Folk like CJ Egan - Riley who quickly recognise what the game is and cast aside their preconceptions are far more likely to succeed than those who think it's gonna be a skoosh and refuse to realise the problem is them when they don't make the impact they thought they were going to. The folk who do well here seem to be the ones who buy into it, I'm specifically thinking of folk like Rob Jones, David Murphy and especially Liam Fontaine who fell in love with this club.
    It’s just a farmers league up here according to the majority of English fans on social media!

@hibs.net private member Baader's Avatar
    Good attitude. Scottish football is undersold and very much underestimated down here. I've heard the comparisons with League 1 and 2 and all that from fans down here who seem to think top flight English football sets the standard for the rest of the pyramid. It doesn't. I've seen enough of lower English league football and Scottish top flight to know what the better standard is.

Approaching something thinking it will be hard rather than easy is, from my experience, a good mindset to have. Those players who go North thinking it will be a walk in the park are the ones who often end up returning with their tail between their legs. We've all seen them. Scottish football may not be the most technical but it's fast and more physical than most leagues and there are players of genuine quality as CJ points out. It catches a lot of players with the 'easy' attitude out.
    Last edited by Baader; 20-03-2023 at 01:32 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Smartie View Post
    If nothing else, I think Scotland can be an absolutely brilliant place for a talented young player to play lots of football and improve their game whether that is on loan from a bigger English club or as a permanent signing.

Much maligned and not without problems but there is also an awful lot to be said in favour of it.

Egan Riley's loan will probably go on to be considered a great bit of business for both parties and both parties probably deserve credit for it.
    The great thing about our league for a good quality young loan is that it contains teams of such differing qualities.
    Those that come to Hibs get to play against the quality of Celtic and Rangers where they are playing against international players, they get to play 50/50 games against Hearts and Aberdeen and they get to play against the bottom 6 scrappers.
    3 completely different challenges and learning experiences for good young players.

Quote Originally Posted by Mick O'Rourke View Post
    Great stuff,DH
    It appears he is enjoying life with the Hibees !
    Yes he does seem to be enjoying life at us though I do think we are a good club for any young player with a history of producing , developing and improving young players. Must admit when we signed both him and Fish I wasn't exactly all that happy as I thought both were inexperienced and might struggle to get into our first team , how wrong was I 😁

@hibs.net private member Hibernian Verse's Avatar
    Who are the real failures that thought it would be easy?

Joey Barton
    Roy Keane
    Aaron Ramsey

Those three quickly come to mind but must be plenty more.

Quote Originally Posted by Hibernian Verse View Post

Joey Barton
    Roy Keane
    Aaron Ramsey

None of those 3 were ever going to make it here.
    All past it due to age or physical condition when they arrived.

Left by mutual consent!
    We should just launder dirty money so we can play Billy Big Balls like the English do.

Quote Originally Posted by PHeffernan View Post
    How about Josh Vela , Darnell Johnson and this guy .
    https://www.footballscotland.co.uk/s...-case-26515612
    Last edited by Donegal Hibby; 20-03-2023 at 04:57 PM.

@hibs.net private member CapitalGreen's Avatar
    About Josh Vela , Darnell Johnson and this guy .
    https://www.footballscotland.co.uk/s...-case-26515612
    What evidence is there that those players thought it would be easy?Johnson and Wood were both young players (20 and 19) who only played 1 game in Scotland. Both written off after difficult first starts like folk did with Will Fish.

Getting CJ on loan was a great bit of business, has a great attitude and will go on to great things I'm sure. Also helps he has a back side of John Mginn proportions!

Quote Originally Posted by Hibernian Verse View Post

Joey Barton
    Roy Keane
    Aaron Ramsey

Keane was finished to be fair to him. He mentioned in his book that he was given the runaround at Easter Road.

Quote Originally Posted by CapitalGreen View Post
    What evidence is there that those players thought it would be easy?Johnson and Wood were both young players (20 and 19) who only played 1 game in Scotland. Both written off after difficult first starts like folk did with Will Fish.
    No evidence at all they thought it would be easy. That's not what I was getting at btw . There seems to be a mind set in England that Scottish football is lacking in quality and is rubbish I was just pointing out 3 players that didn't do well in Scottish football but are thriving back in England now ( good luck to them ) . Another player that I think has moved to us from England and has imo struggled with moving to a better league is Harry Mckirdy . That's probably the biggest problem with us fans we are all to quick in passing judgement and specially when things aren't going that well ..... LJ should be sacked , Youan not good enough , Fish , CJ , Mckirdy etc etc

@hibs.net private member jacomo's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by PHeffernan View Post

But all three were paid big money and came with high expectations. They and their employers certainly didn’t think they were past it.

No evidence at all they thought it would be easy. That's not what I was getting at btw . There seems to be a mind set in England that Scottish football is lacking in quality and is rubbish I was just pointing out 3 players that didn't do well in Scottish football but are thriving back in England now ( good luck to them ) . Another player that I think has moved to us from England and has imo struggled with moving to a better league is Harry Mckirdy . That's probably the biggest problem with us fans we are all to quick in passing judgement and specially when things aren't going that well ..... LJ should be sacked , Youan not good enough , Fish , CJ , Mckirdy etc etc
    Fish was Wood 2 until Porteous moved on, both young players and at Hibs the need to win means there is little patience and Wood fell foul of that.
    Johnson just isn't a good player given he can't get a game in the English 3rd tier (he might be injured, I haven't checked)
    Vela sustained a bad injury at Hibs and that seemed to bring on home sickness. After he moved to Shrewsbury the injury blighted his season. The following season he was their player of the year in the 3rd tier. He continued to do well for them and they wanted to keep him but Scott Brown wanted him and he joined Johnson at Fleetwood. He is a decent player but nothing special. Could have done okay at Hibs in different circumstances.
    McKirdy is in his mid 20's but has never played higher than 4th tier and is built like the gable end of a fiver so not a surprise he is struggling to make his mark.

Josh Doig on moving from the Scottish premier League to seria A . Nice to see young Scottish player knowledge the Scottish game in a good way.
    https://www.edinburghnews.scotsman.c...arison-4075647

Josh Doig on moving from the Scottish premier League to seria A . Nice to see young Scottish player knowledge the Scottish game in a good way.
    https://www.edinburghnews.scotsman.c...arison-4075647
    https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=uQMGM56cdA0&feature=youtu.be

Not watched this yet but it looks like it will be good (apologies for the link being how it is, I’m on my phone).

Quote Originally Posted by Smartie View Post
    https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=uQMGM56cdA0&feature=youtu.be

Not watched this yet but it looks like it will be good (apologies for the link being how it is, I’m on my phone).
    No worries mate, thanks for sharing it 👍. Done another link for it .
    https://youtu.be/uQMGM56cdA0
    Last edited by Donegal Hibby; 22-03-2023 at 08:50 PM.