hibs.net Messageboard

Page 3 of 13 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Goalkeeper

@hibs.net private member overdrive's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by PHeffernan View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    His errors have come in games where we have been horsed so he hasn't cost us any points. Has a contract until the end of next season which will be the perfect time to make the change.

Probably better concentrating on getting ourselves a right back that can defend this summer so that he can play against the OF to stop us getting hosed.
    Ideally we would get someone in to challenge him with a view to taking over. The issue with that though is we did that with Macey and given he couldn’t dislodge Marciano, when Marciano left there was a perception that Macey wasn’t as good. I don’t think he was anywhere as good but I don’t think he was as bad as some made out.

You probably wouldn’t get that if it was Johnson challenging and taking over as he would get a degree of leeway being homegrown.

2. Log in to remove the advert

I've never really thought of our keeper being the problem area. Didn't have the best of games but nobody did.

@hibs.net private member Frazerbob's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnM1875 View Post
    Not having any other shockers doesn't mean he's done 'very well' for us though, surely?

He's well past his best and I'd be replacing him if we have the budget for it next season.
    You are correct, that doesn't mean he's done very well but he has none the less. Is he past his best? Of course he is. So were Jim Leighton, Alan Rough and Budgie when they played for us. Is he as good as we will get with our budget tho? I do agree that we need some proper competition though, with a view to replacing him over the next couple of years. I find it odd that this has come up after last night yet no mention over the previous 6 or 7 games when the defence as hole has been excellent. Actually, I don't.

Testimonial Due The Harp Awakes's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Frazerbob View Post
    Made a mistake tonight (every keeper in the world makes mistakes) and some poor distribution (hardly the only one guilty if that tonight) but made a cracking save first half. He’s done very well for us since signing, glad to have him.
    Agreed, didn't have a great game last night but the least of our problems. The right hand side of our team and midfield need urgent surgery.

Quote Originally Posted by Stevie Reid View Post
    Definitely not my top priority. Been criticised a lot for not making saves this season (not something I agree with, hasn’t conceded a load of soft goals) but largely praise for his footwork and distribution.

Tonight he made an absolutely superb save he had little right to make, and yet put us in danger numerous times - eventually costing us a goal - with his poor kicking and throws.

Also spilled a straightforward shot late on, and did get away with dropping a cross in the first half, but was an awkward one to deal with and probably the right call to come for it, given how it panned out.

Just a bad night for me, rather than a keeper whose in a terminal decline. Given the work that we’ll need to do with the squad in the summer, it won’t be cheap - and a really good replacement for Marshall would come at a real cost.

Hope for another season or two, whilst making the transition to Murray Johnston would the best plan at the moment, I think.
    That's where I am.
    He wasn't the only one to struggle with distribution last night. Everyone did. Pains me to say it but credit to them for closing down options.

Gamer IDs

PSN ID: calhill19
    Quote Originally Posted by Greenio View Post
    Really?

Made a mistake tonight with a misplaced clearance

But can't think of other times when he's had a poor performance.

Get's a bit like this when we lose eh, suddenly everyone has always been pap and needs punted asap
    Nah tbh man, i’m usually the last to jump on a players back but he has been mostly average this season.

His distribution is by far better than Marciano and Macey, but his save record is extremely poor. It was at one point and may still be the worst save ratio in the league.

Marshall has been excellent keeper in his day and looked good at first for us but i think he has been letting us down with some of the goals he’s been conceding for a while now.

I think we need to look to recruit someone to put in serious competition for the number 1 spot.

Quote Originally Posted by Frazerbob View Post
    You are correct, that doesn't mean he's done very well but he has none the less. Is he past his best? Of course he is. So were Jim Leighton, Alan Rough and Budgie when they played for us. Is he as good as we will get with our budget tho? I do agree that we need some proper competition though, with a view to replacing him over the next couple of years. I find it odd that this has come up after last night yet no mention over the previous 6 or 7 games when the defence as hole has been excellent. Actually, I don't.
    I started this thread and have been very vocal in my praise of the defensive unit in recent weeks so I find it odd you would suggest otherwise. Or maybe I don't.

There's really no good time to start such a thread. Do it after a win and the response is 'why can't anyone just enjoy the win, have to find something to be negative about'. Do it after a defeat and it's 'knee jerk, reactionary, just waiting on a chance to have a go.'

Just my opinion but he seems a bit over confident and casual at times.

Obviously a very good goalkeeper. He has played at bigger clubs than us but needs to show a bit more application and concentration. When he joined us I would have expected him to be at his best in games such as last night and never to give away a bad goal.

He is into the autumn of his career and he could learn a lot from Craig Gordon over the road who has been totally professional and committed and managed to prolong his career.

No reason Marshall should not be be our goalkeeper for the next 2 -3 years, but maybe just having a bit of a dip.

Quote Originally Posted by Iain G View Post
    Rocky wasn't any better than Marshall. Oh how we could do with Alan Rough back.
    Rocky was absolutely brilliant for Hibs.

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by MWHIBBIES View Post
    Rocky was absolutely brilliant for Hibs.

Best keeper I’ve seen at Hibs and probably by a distance.

First Team Breakthrough Anthony Soprano's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Onceinawhile View Post
    Have thought he needed replaced since about November.

Save % is in the 50s. Quite comfortably amongst the worst in the league.
    It is THE worst in the league.

@hibs.net private member blackpoolhibs's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Hibees1973 View Post
    Just my opinion but he seems a bit over confident and casual at times.

Obviously a very good goalkeeper. He has played at bigger clubs than us but needs to show a bit more application and concentration. When he joined us I would have expected him to be at his best in games such as last night and never to give away a bad goal.

He is into the autumn of his career and he could learn a lot from Craig Gordon over the road who has been totally professional and committed and managed to prolong his career.

No reason Marshall should not be be our goalkeeper for the next 2 -3 years, but maybe just having a bit of a dip.
    My thoughts exactly, perhaps someone pushing him a bit is needed as the young lad is never getting a game while Marshall is fit.

Quote Originally Posted by Stubbsy90+2 View Post

Best keeper I’ve seen at Hibs and probably by a distance.
    Another one of those who gets better the longer they aren't here anymore.

Marshall is a better all round keeper than Rocky, who was a spectacular shot stopper, couldn't command his area and couldn't kick for toffee.

He wasn't even best keeper at the club for a while, we should have kept Bogdan.
    Last edited by Iain G; 09-03-2023 at 10:36 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Pretty Boy View Post
    I started this thread and have been very vocal in my praise of the defensive unit in recent weeks so I find it odd you would suggest otherwise. Or maybe I don't.

There's really no good time to start such a thread. Do it after a win and the response is 'why can't anyone just enjoy the win, have to find something to be negative about'. Do it after a defeat and it's 'knee jerk, reactionary, just waiting on a chance to have a go.'
    I've no idea of your posting history on the defence so only reacting to this thread. (mostly read on my phone so don't usually notice who posters are). We're all entitled to an opinion and, as evident from the replies, many agree with you. I don't, that's all.

Marshall is a better all round keeper than Rocky, who was a spectacular shot stopper, couldn't command his area and couldn't kick for toffee.

Totally agree. I liked Rocky and compared to some of our recent keepers, he was up with the best. Marshall is superior though.

@hibs.net private member
    Bring back rocky.

Quote Originally Posted by zitelli62 View Post
    Bring back rocky.
    Would he get in ahead of Fish or Hanlon though?

@hibs.net private member

Not at all. He got a move to a big European club for a reason. Certainly not someone that gets better the longer he’s away, he was a cracking goalkeeper who plenty of us recognised as being a cracking goalkeeper at the time.

Rocky was a much better shot stopper than Marshall, Marshall has better distribution, neither are stand outs at commanding their box. I know what I’d prefer my goalie to be good at out of those though.

Marshall has been at fault to varying degrees of numerous goals this season, more often than not in the big games. Errors in two derbies, Rangers and Celtic games.
    Last edited by Stubbsy90+2; 09-03-2023 at 11:48 AM.

@hibs.net private member JohnM1875's Avatar
    Gamer IDs

PSN ID: johnmac1875
    Quote Originally Posted by Stubbsy90+2 View Post
    Not at all. He got a move to a big European club for a reason. Certainly not someone that gets better the longer he’s away, he was a cracking goalkeeper.

Rocky was a much better shot stopper than Marshall, Marshall has better distribution, neither are stand outs at commanding their box. I know what I’d prefer my goalie to be good at out of those.
    Marciano for Hibs was a far far better goalkeeper than Marshall is for Hibs. Not even close in my opinion. Aye Marshall has had the much better career, no doubt about that. But he's past his best now.

I like Marshall, don't doubt he's a great guy to have around the squad and the signing made sense. But we need a better keeper next season in my opinion.

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnM1875 View Post
    Marciano for Hibs was a far far better goalkeeper than Marshall is for Hibs. Not even close in my opinion. Aye Marshall has had the much better career, no doubt about that. But he's past his best now.

I like Marshall, don't doubt he's a great guy to have around the squad and the signing made sense. But we need a better keeper next season in my opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by 007 View Post
    Save %age only tells a small part of the story. The stats people should do a goalkeeper's equivalent of xG and calculate expected saves (xS).
    Do you have a note of these? I'd be interested to see how he's performing compared to them.

First Team Breakthrough
    He was like a breath of fresh air when he first arrived and a well worthy captain. Vocal, good distribution and generally solid. Over the past few weeks/months though he hasnt been anywhere near that level - which also ties in with the rumours of him wanting away in the summer

Just to point out we had only let in 2 goals in 7 games prior to the game tonight, one of which involved him being bundled into the back of the net!
    Marsh has made mistakes, christ, the entire side have this season. What I find interesting is that the defence get the praise for only losing the 2 goals in 7, yet when the goals start going in, it's Marshall who is not good enough/too old etc. You get taught at a young age to defend from the front. Marsh is the last line and, too often this season, has been exposed by those infront of him-be it slack marking, not tracking runners or whatever. Yes, his positioning was a bit questionable for Sibbick's goal at ER, but that break should never have been allowed to happen-yet the mistakes and downright slackness which led to that are completely overlooked in order to blame Marsh for the goal. Maybe we need to look at why teams are getting into the positions to shoot at him in the first place!

Bogdan was very good 👍 think he is 2nd choice at ferencvaros

@hibs.net private member silverhibee's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by gaz1875 View Post
    He was a big part in the shambolic display, I don't know how manty times he chose the wrong option with his distribution. Part of the reason we could barley get out our own half. Macey was never as bad as Marshal has been.
    If any player can slow the game down a bit then it’s the keeper, but he continued to throw kick the ball out at the quickest opportunity which just kept putting us under pressure, rangers just scooped up everything he distributed and it was like wave after wave of attack, as soon as we scored LJ should have been screaming at him to calm down and take his time but he just continued to make the same mistakes over and over again.

Yeah he had a good save but for such an experienced goalkeeper that was a shocker from him last night.

@hibs.net private member JohnM1875's Avatar
    Gamer IDs

PSN ID: johnmac1875
    Quote Originally Posted by Silky View Post
    Marsh has made mistakes, christ, the entire side have this season. What I find interesting is that the defence get the praise for only losing the 2 goals in 7, yet when the goals start going in, it's Marshall who is not good enough/too old etc. You get taught at a young age to defend from the front. Marsh is the last line and, too often this season, has been exposed by those infront of him-be it slack marking, not tracking runners or whatever. Yes, his positioning was a bit questionable for Sibbick's goal at ER, but that break should never have been allowed to happen-yet the mistakes and downright slackness which led to that are completely overlooked in order to blame Marsh for the goal. Maybe we need to look at why teams are getting into the positions to shoot at him in the first place!
    Think the reason the defence gets so much credit is Marshall only had to face nine shots on target in the five games since the cup loss. Of the nine faced two have resulted in goals. Fair enough the Ross County goal shouldn't have stood, joke of a decision.

We've got his replacement sitting on the bench.

Rocky was, on the whole, a good keeper but still lost his place two or three times due to mistakes and poor form. It happens.

Quote Originally Posted by Big_Franck View Post
    Needs replaced in the summer. Like many I was delighted with the signing and he did ok initially. He's clearly on the decline though and he's nowhere near the levels he was at even 2/3 years ago.
    I find this hard to understand. From being delighted with the signing to reckoning he's clearly on the decline just a few months later? Sure, he's in the final years of his playing career but for a keeper who stays in shape you can play at a good level for a few years longer than most outfield players. I'm just not seeing this seemingly obvious decline. I think of him as a pretty solid keeper with no particular weaknesses.

Na, rocky was excellent here. There's a reason hes playing at a much higher level now.