hibs.net Messageboard

Page 3 of 20 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast
    @hibs.net private member cameronw-hfc's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Since452 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    If they can't deal with the pressure from fans then our club is too big for them and they should be at a Ross County or the like. If players can't come in and hit the ground running at Hibs then they are always going to be under fire. Rocky Bushiri to his immense credit rolled up his socks and got on with it and is now one of our best players. He has the mentality to be a a club like Hibs. He seems to be the exception rather than the norm though.

It's almost never as black and white as this though. Maybe to fans it looks like that, but we never actually know whats going on behind the scenes and a lot can factor into poor form. Just because a player has done well elsewhere and doesn't cut it straight away at Hibs it doesn't mean the clubs too big for them, he could be adjusting to moving away from his family and friends, some people take longer than others, it could be something off the pitch, it could be something at training, we never actually know. Saying if they can't deal with the pressure then the clubs too big for them is way too simplified.

There's been so so many examples of players moving to a new club and taking time to adjust at much smaller and much bigger clubs than Hibs.

2. Log in to remove the advert

Quote Originally Posted by Since452 View Post
    If they can't deal with the pressure from fans then our club is too big for them and they should be at a Ross County or the like. If players can't come in and hit the ground running at Hibs then they are always going to be under fire. Rocky Bushiri to his immense credit rolled up his socks and got on with it and is now one of our best players. He has the mentality to be a a club like Hibs. He seems to be the exception rather than the norm though.
    Or maybe we could just not abuse players?

@hibs.net private member BSEJVT's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by GreenGray View Post
    Exactly my point, only as a sub, until he gets a run of games as a starter we might never know.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I am 60 overweight and was never that good at my prime

Do folk think a run of games would help me?

You need to earn the right to get a run of games in training or when coming on as a sub

He’s clearly not doing that and won’t get a run until he does

@hibs.net private member jeffers's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by BSEJVT View Post

You need to earn the right to get a run of games in training or when coming on as a sub

You’d have to assume he must have been doing something in training for Johnson to start him in two games though. Hooking him at half time in both won’t have helped his confidence.

Would it help you become a professional? No. If you played a game every week for 6 weeks would you notice a big difference in yourself compared to the first of the run? Yes, obviously.

This isn't the point you think it is, professional players need runs of games to get going. Scott Allan didn't exactly blow us away in his first few games, I actually remember rolk on here saying he was anonymous and wouldn't cut it, 5/6 games later we were shown just how good he really was.

@hibs.net private member

I really don’t get the idea that we simply must let him start games.

He shows nothing when he’s on the pitch. We need results, starting guys like McKirdy, Henderson and Melkersen just to give them a run of games would be an absolutely abysmal decision and would make us less likely to get those results, especially when they’d have to replace either Nisbet who has 5 in 5, Youan who has more assists than anyone or McGeady who’s looked excellent since he came back.

For the people that are so insistent he gets a run of starts, what one of Youan, Nisbet or McGeady drops to the bench for 4 or 5 games to give McKirdy a run of starts?
    Last edited by Stubbsy90+2; 09-01-2023 at 09:37 AM.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by cameronw-hfc View Post
    Would it help you become a professional? No. If you played a game every week for 6 weeks would you notice a big difference in yourself compared to the first of the run? Yes, obviously.

This isn't the point you think it is, professional players need runs of games to get going. Scott Allan didn't exactly blow us away in his first few games, I actually remember rolk on here saying he was anonymous and wouldn't cut it, 5/6 games later we were shown just how good he really was.
    Don’t agree

McKirdy has been fit

Look at the impact Nisbet has had immediately on coming back from a long long time out, no football nothing.

The mistake you are making is in thinking that he would go from zero to hero just by playing, he needs to have the ability to play at this level.

I have seen nothing to suggest he has and until we do he is going to need to bide his time and work away to prove he is deserving of that chance.

Let’s hope for all our sakes he does, but the idea that he should get a chance to show what he has just because, is ridiculous

Don’t agree

McKirdy has been fit

Look at the impact Nisbet has had immediately on coming back from a long long time out, no football nothing.

The mistake you are making is in thinking that he would go from zero to hero just by playing, he needs to have the ability to play at this level.

I have seen nothing to suggest he has and until we do he is going to need to bide his time and work away to prove he is deserving of that chance.

Let’s hope for all our sakes he does, but the idea that he should get a chance to show what he has just because is ridiculous

I don't think he's going to go from zero to hero if he gets a few starts, im merely saying some players need a run of games to see their full potential. I've got a funny feeling Mckirdy is that type of player. Everyone is different just because one player can hit the ground running, it doesn't mean someone else automatically will or should.

All im saying is im going to reserve judgment and hold back on the posts saying hes crap and not what we need until I've seen more of him because as it stands, I don't think hes had enough minutes to really show what hes got.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by cameronw-hfc View Post
    I don't think he's going to go from zero to hero if he gets a few starts, im merely saying some players need a run of games to see their full potential. I've got a funny feeling Mckirdy is that type of player. Everyone is different just because one player can hit the ground running, it doesn't mean someone else automatically will or should.

All im saying is im going to reserve judgment and hold back on the posts saying hes crap and not what we need until I've seen more of him because as it stands, I don't think hes had enough minutes to really show what hes got.
    Tbh I haven’t formed any opinion on him yet as there hasn’t been enough to see.

But it’s funny how different players are judged differently in that some are held to need a run of games where others are dismissed as pish straight out the gate.

If you were to ask me my view I would say I was concerned at how little impact he has made in getting himself in the team.

But that we should wait and see until if and when he does, if he does not the answer is there in front of us.

Quote Originally Posted by Tricla View Post
    Youan was guff but we stuck with him and he's come good. I think Harry deserves the same. Clearly a talent and could be the maverick type we have from time to time.
    Youan has shown more in his first game than McKirdy has in his whole time with hibs.

He looks like a wee boy out there.

First Team Breakthrough
    Quote Originally Posted by B.H.F.C View Post
    Who are you dropping to give him a good chunk of minutes against Dundee Utd?

There is only one way for him to get more minutes and that is to do something in the minutes he does get.
    Would give Youan the first 60 mins and if nothing is coming off for him - and the game management allows it - I'd put McKirdy on.

All if, buts and maybes at this stage though as we've no idea how the game will pan out. In an ideal world, we'd be 3 up and any of the attackers could come off.

I get what you're saying, but to come on and get a goal or an assist with 10 mins to go isn't something aby of our current squad are doing. So to expect it from McKirdy is a tad unreasonable

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

@hibs.net private member jeffers's Avatar
    Tbh I haven’t formed any opinion on him yet as there hasn’t been enough to see.

But it’s funny how different players are judged differently in that some are held to need a run of games where others are dismissed as pish straight out the gate.

If you were to ask me my view I would say I was concerned at how little impact he has made in getting himself in the team.

But that we should wait and see until if and when he does, if he does not the answer is there in front of us.
    Your second paragraph in particular is a really fair point. In McKirdy’s case he’s come off the back of a really good season, so has shown he has something about him albeit at a lower level. Some of the other signings that have been dismissed as pish haven’t and look, on paper much more of a gamble - Tavares being an example.

Gamer IDs

PSN ID: calhill19
    With McKirdy, I have no idea if he is doing enough in training and granted he hasn’t shown much in the limited time he has played but i simply just don’t want to rule him out yet and want to see more of him.

I reckon there is a player in there so would be disappointed to see him leave.

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by DinkyTwo View Post
    Would give Youan the first 60 mins and if nothing is coming off for him - and the game management allows it - I'd put McKirdy on.

All if, buts and maybes at this stage though as we've no idea how the game will pan out. In an ideal world, we'd be 3 up and any of the attackers could come off.

I get what you're saying, but to come on and get a goal or an assist with 10 mins to go isn't something aby of our current squad are doing. So to expect it from McKirdy is a tad unreasonable

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk
    McKirdy has had half an hour or more the majority of times he’s come on as a sub. His average sub appearance is 28 mins long (not including added time). He’s also only remained on the bench once and that was yesterday, so he gets on near enough every week.

Over the piece he’s not being asked to conjure something up in 10 mins, he’s actually getting a pretty good run at it as far as being a sub goes.
    Last edited by Stubbsy90+2; 09-01-2023 at 12:13 PM.

@hibs.net private member The Modfather's Avatar
    It’s just a matter of what window he moves on in IMO. I think he’ll end up filed alongside Mueller. The usual epitaph “a player in there”, “wasn’t given a run of games”, “offered little in his time here”, “not clear what role we bought him for”.

It is odd that the two starts he has had have been at Tynecastle and Celtic Park.

He could definitely have done more in his appearances form the bench but I think he has showed some spark, especially at Rugby Park where everyone else was having a howler.

First Team Breakthrough
    He's got low IQ

@hibs.net private member Groathillgrump's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by BoyledEgg View Post
    He's got low IQ
    What's that got to do with his ability as a footballer?

I'm sure that some of our greatest players over the years haven't been particularly intelligent.

EDIT: Just seen the post about players 'High football IQ.'
    Last edited by Groathillgrump; 09-01-2023 at 02:40 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by BoyledEgg View Post
    He's got low IQ
    very good

Under different circs, McKirdy would be given time and space to settle in however Hibs are in dire straights. We're on the edges a disastrous relegation battle and there is simply no room for any sentiment or experimentation while that's the case. Jobs and careers are on the line.

Only thing we've seen from McKirdy is his ability to scamper around the pitch. Maybe harsh, but that's simply not good enough at this point in time. He's getting well paid to make a positive difference on the pitch, has been given opportunities to do that, but coming up woefully short in all departments.

Hibs are often accused of being a soft touch and you can see why from some of the sentimental nonsense about McKirdy.

Professional thread starter Diclonius's Avatar
    The title of this thread is a bit misleading, can it be changed please?

Quote Originally Posted by Onion View Post
    very good

@hibs.net private member
    McKirdy isn't good enough to play at this level. He showed the odd nice touch and runs about a lot but doesn't really impact a game and doesn't have the physicality to make it at a level higher where he was operating for Swindon. I feel that if our scouts bothered to have players watched before they tried to sign them then we might avoid signing most of those that just aren't good enough and never will be.

@hibs.net private member California-Hibs's Avatar
    Gamer IDs

PSN ID: BringTheCairds
    Misleading title. Should be changed.

@hibs.net private member WhileTheChief..'s Avatar
    ^^That was bugging me too.

Now your post is confusing though. Absolutely nothing wrong with the thread title

Crap thread title.

What of McKirdy?

Currently Hibs best strikers are Nisbet and Kukharevych
    This summer one will leave for a few million quid and the other will return to France.

That will leave Hibs with 4 strikers:
    26 year old McKirdy
    20 year old Melkersen
    19 year old O'Connor
    18 year old Laidlaw

Between now and next season these 4 players will be judged by the coaches and management staff and decisions made about whether they are good enough or potentially good enough to play in the first team next season.
    If they are not considered good enough a new striker or strikers will be brought in and some of them could be moved on.

McKirdy will be judged most harshly. At 26 he should be a responsible man and athlete ready to do what is required on and off the pitch to make his mark.
    Johnson has spoken about having to tell him off. It's time for him to grow up and push on even if it is targetting next season by working hard in training.
    We have seen some good work from him against Dundee Utd and Kilmarnock. He needs to do more of the same.
    Last edited by PHeffernan; 09-01-2023 at 05:36 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Stubbsy90+2 View Post
    Youan looked good when he came in then completely lost form and has came good again.

McKirdy hasn’t looked good at all.
    Hardly kicked a ball to be fair.
    Like to see him start a few games see if there’s signs of improvement.
    Or he can go if there’s options

First Team Breakthrough Svengali's Avatar
    He’s got until end of the season for me. Seen nothing from him so far. If he can’t force his way into a team that is on a shocking run and pre Nisbet, strikers firing more blanks than a successful Vasectomy, i really do worry. All i’ve seen from him is someone running about and moaning at refs - we can all do that. Has he even missed a chance/looked like scoring since he got here?. Too many players at this club that we’re hoping come good. It’s up to him to prove he is good enough

Testimonial Due Stokesy's on fire's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Percy Vere View Post
    Hardly kicked a ball to be fair.
    Like to see him start a few games see if there’s signs of improvement.
    Or he can go if there’s options
    Most suitable option here would be a loan deal to a Scottish championship team. Let him find his form at another club. We need players ready to compete.

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by Stokesy's on fire View Post
    Most suitable option here would be a loan deal to a Scottish championship team. Let him find his form at another club. We need players ready to compete.
    Don’t think he can play for another club this season - already played for two . He’s hardly had any time to settle . And almost never played the same position twice in a row . Why don’t we just wait until he’s played more football for us . Rarely understand the rush to judgement on signings . He’s clearly got some decent skills .