@hibs.net private member SteveHFC's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Donegal Hibby View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    3 more mate
    Timothy Weah
    Liam Miller
    Eiji Kawashima
    Less talk, more gifs. 21.05.16

Might be 14 - Olivier Ntcham switched to Cameroon I think?

Quote Originally Posted by SteveHFC View Post
    Timothy Weah
    Liam Miller
    Eiji Kawashima
    Had Weah , Kawashima and Ntcham but not Miller who's he ?

Had Weah , Kawashima and Ntcham but not Miller who's he ?
    Canadian played for St Johnstone IIRC.

Edit, Kilmarnock it was...

Quote Originally Posted by HoboHarry View Post
    Canadian played for St Johnstone IIRC.

Edit, Kilmarnock it was...
    Just checked and your right and you also caught me out on Jason Cummings who I didn't have either so it's 15 and theres one left I have ! Happy hunting buddy 😄

England have some excellent players Foden , Kane etc and a large pool of players to pick from but for some strange reason they just don't click as a team ,often wonder if the English media puts extra pressure on them with all the media hype .Wouldn't rule them out though.
    Do you mean they're not clicking at present? They've reached the semi-final and final of the last two major tournaments which is the best England have done for 50 years.

Quote Originally Posted by He's here! View Post
    Do you mean they're not clicking at present? They've reached the semi-final and final of the last two major tournaments which is the best England have done for 50 years.
    Did something momentous happen 50 years ago? (Leaving aside the 0-7 of course). I do not recall hearing of this.

@hibs.net private member
    How quiet the English are just now is a bit worrying. Much prefer when they’re talking about winning it and “it’s coming home” before a ball is kicked

Since the Euro's final they've been pretty terrible though.. I think this team has already peaked.

Things have gone stale with Southgate, and he should have moved on.

@hibs.net private member
    They have been questioning whether to sack Southgate for the last 6 months. Not won in their last 6 games, relegated, beat of Hungary twice and one 0-4 at home

He'll need an impressive tournament not to be sacked after it.

Quote Originally Posted by Michael View Post
    Since the Euro's final they've been pretty terrible though.. I think this team has already peaked.

Things have gone stale with Southgate, and he should have moved on.
    The downturn can happen quite spectacularly quickly in international football as well.

France won major tournaments in 98 and 00 and were humiliated in the group stages in 2002.
    Spain won major tournaments in 08, 10 and 12 and were horsed out in the group stages in 2014.
    Germany won the WC in 2014, Euro semi finals in 2016 then finished bottom of their group in 2018 and lost their round of 16 match in 2020(1).
    Italy won the last Euros and aren't even at this WC.

England never hit the heights of any of those teams and have been on an obvious downward spiral since the Euros. I'm never really that bothered if England do well or not, it's largely irrelevant to me, but I don't see anything to suggest they will be winning this tournament. A collection of good players but not a good team.
    PM Awards General Poster of The Year 2015, 2016, 2017. Probably robbed in other years

@hibs.net private member
    They always have a couple of strange choices squad wise, coady, Phillips and gallagher for me shouldn’t be there all 3 good players but all 3 aren’t playing well just now, Phillips barely played at all, Wilson as well defo in good form but an international striker? guys like Tammy abraham, Tomori sitting at home.

I think what brings an end to successful cycles at international level is the managers work like it is in clubs, build a squad, a group that work and then it eventually works against them as they stay too loyal to players that should be either left out as form dictates or have maybe started to hit the wrong end of their careers

They didn't win anything though . Final against Italy , I thought Italy looked much the better team and deserved to win it even though England had the advantage of playing at home , the semi final you mentioned I wonder who they played to get there as they normally get a easy enough run of games even this world cup they should top the group and will probably play someone easy in last 16 , only facing there first serious opponent in quarter final .Some of there results over the past few years have been poor .beat 2-1 by Czechs , 4-0 defeat to Hungary at home , 0-0 with the Swiss and beaten on penalties, lost 1-0 to Denmark at home , 3-1 to the Dutch . England are a massively under performing imo .They have some very good players but don't seem to click as a team as maybe Germany , France and Spain have done in recent years.

Good article in The Times today on the infrastructure build for the tournament. What on earth is a tiny country like Qatar going to do with 32 state of the art training complexes - let alone the stadiums, hotels, restaurants, transport links etc. built for a month long tournament?

I guess most of them will just be demolished?

The world is, truly, mad.

Quote Originally Posted by Yorkshire HFC View Post
    Good article in The Times today on the infrastructure build for the tournament. What on earth is a tiny country like Qatar going to do with 32 state of the art training complexes - let alone the stadiums, hotels, restaurants, transport links etc. built for a month long tournament?

I think a fair few of the stadiums were built in such a way that they could be dismantled, sold and then reassembled elsewhere.

I still maintain that was the motivation for Scotland playing Qatar at ER in 2015. It was a crazy footballing decision as even winning hammered our world ranking. I still maintain that at least part of one of the WC stadiums will end up in Mount Florida at some point in the next few years.
    PM Awards General Poster of The Year 2015, 2016, 2017. Probably robbed in other years

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by Yorkshire HFC View Post

A lot of the visitors are staying in pop up villages. Pretty crazy and at a cost of billions, not to mention thousands of lives

Most of the stadiums will be halved from 40k to 20k, one will be dismantled as its made from shipping containers.

https://hukoomi.gov.qa/en/article/world-cup-stadiums#:~:text=After%20the%20tournament%2C%20Lus ail%20Stadium,Qatar's%20commitment%20to%20sustaina ble%20development.

@hibs.net private member blackpoolhibs's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by HoboHarry View Post
    This is by far the least I've ever been interested in a World Cup. I only learned the kick off time for the first match last weekend because the wife asked me. Mid season, injured players dropping like flies and the political issues all play a part.
    I have no idea when this starts, i've not seen much at all here advertising the England games.

I know it's soon, but no idea when or what time?

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by blackpoolhibs View Post
    I have no idea when this starts, i've not seen much at all here advertising the England games.

I know it's soon, but no idea when or what time?
    Sunday 4pm.
    Last edited by Stubbsy90+2; 17-11-2022 at 12:39 PM.

@hibs.net private member Hibernian Verse's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Stubbsy90+2 View Post
    Sunday 7pm.
    4pm here

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by Hibernian Verse View Post
    4pm here
    Sunday 4pm it is!

Quote Originally Posted by Dmas View Post
    They always have a couple of strange choices squad wise, coady, Phillips and gallagher for me shouldn’t be there all 3 good players but all 3 aren’t playing well just now, Phillips barely played at all, Wilson as well defo in good form but an international striker? guys like Tammy abraham, Tomori sitting at home.

I think what brings an end to successful cycles at international level is the managers work like it is in clubs, build a squad, a group that work and then it eventually works against them as they stay too loyal to players that should be either left out as form dictates or have maybe started to hit the wrong end of their careers
    I'd take Callum Wilson over Abraham every single day of the week, he's been different class for Newcastle since he signed and he was excellent at Bournemouth. Abraham has only scored 3 goals all season and was booed by the Roma fans at the weekend.

I read England had there first Training session and it was 33C , would imagine that sort of heat will effect some European teams . I see Messi scored in 5-0 friendly against UAE .Good goal too .
    https://twitter.com/BocaJrsGolArg/st...14970026512384