hibs.net Messageboard

Page 2 of 214 FirstFirst 12341252102 ... LastLast
    @hibs.net private member Jim Herriot's Avatar
    Got my flag ready...

2. Log in to remove the advert

Brazil v Argentina semi then Brazil to beat Portugal in the final.

Spain for me, I wouldn't be disappointed if Argentina win it.

@hibs.net private member JimBHibees's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by bingo70 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I think they lack a quality centre midfielder that dictates the tempo of games. They’ve got lots of quality players all over the pitch but that’s where I think they struggle.

I also think there’s not a massive amount of strength in depth up front, if anything was to happen to Harry Kane or if he doesn’t play well then I think they toil.

They’ve definitely got enough to get past the weaker sides and even beat the odd big team on their day, I just don’t think they’ve got enough to beat two or three big teams in a row.
    Tend to agree I think they aren't the best defensively either.

Really looking forward to the world cup , hopefully we will see a few goals like these
    https://youtu.be/TMlguTj0bkY

@hibs.net private member
    I quite fancied Portugal as a dark horse until Ronaldo started throwing grenades this week, 12/1 a decent bet they have some amount of talent.

Brazil or France would be more steady bets tho both look really strong be who plays the conditions better I think

Left by mutual consent!
    Aussies to get to the final obviously. $8k for every extra day Boyle is out there!

Sent from my EML-L29 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Donegal Hibby View Post
    England have some excellent players Foden , Kane etc and a large pool of players to pick from but for some strange reason they just don't click as a team ,often wonder if the English media puts extra pressure on them with all the media hype .Wouldn't rule them out though.
    Yeh, this for me too. England have never been short of decent players, what the always seem incapable of is making a team out of them capable of winning anything.

As I type the news is reporting a human rights organisation reporting another 25 work related deaths in recent months related to Qatar WC infrastructure projects. It is so very very difficult to reconcile my love for the beautiful game and an obvious desire to watch it's biggest tournament with this utter utter car crash of a choice of host.

However this world cup works out on the pitch, be it the best ever or the worst ever FIFA must never again allow their greed and stupidity to trump common sense and their responsibility as custodians of the world's most popular game to put human dignity and human rights before profit. They have done nothing less than bring football into disrepute and once this is done serious questions need to be asked as to whether they have given up the right to run the game. As things stand the answer to that is pretty obvious.

@hibs.net private member greenlex's Avatar
    Are we due a bit of cash for Spoony going?

Feeling Uruguay.

@hibs.net private member Pagan Hibernia's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Haymaker View Post
    Feeling Uruguay.
    that would be sensational

@hibs.net private member Baader's Avatar
    Uruguay have a strong squad. Can't see past Brazil. France's midfield is under strength, full options and they'd be hard to beat but retaining it is some ask. As for the tournament, can't get excited and don't plan to watch it. Football just wasn't supposed to be like this. FIFA are just abhorrent.

Quote Originally Posted by NAE NOOKIE View Post
    Yeh, this for me too. England have never been short of decent players, what the always seem incapable of is making a team out of them capable of winning anything.

As I type the news is reporting a human rights organisation reporting another 25 work related deaths in recent months related to Qatar WC infrastructure projects. It is so very very difficult to reconcile my love for the beautiful game and an obvious desire to watch it's biggest tournament with this utter utter car crash of a choice of host.

However this world cup works out on the pitch, be it the best ever or the worst ever FIFA must never again allow their greed and stupidity to trump common sense and their responsibility as custodians of the world's most popular game to put human dignity and human rights before profit. They have done nothing less than bring football into disrepute and once this is done serious questions need to be asked as to whether they have given up the right to run the game. As things stand the answer to that is pretty obvious.
    I'm planning on giving it a miss. I'm not a massive football fan truth be told, but I'm also a teacher by trade. Watching the WC just feels too much like accepting things I'm against. It's all too much 'Berlin 1936' for me. I don't fully blame FIFA. If people watch it, if they buy the stuff, if the players play, if the media support, then we're all involved. I won't judge. I watched the F1 Qatar race and felt bad about doing so. But I also own an iPhone, bought because it does what I need it to do and what I know, but I also know what some of the practices are which go into making it. I'm not judging anyone who does, I've got my own failings as pointed out, but I will be trying not to watch this.

"Nothing matters at all, the needle returns to the start of the song and we all sing along like before". I was impressed by the BLM approach in F1 and in football, but it all seems a bit poor to attend now.

Gamer IDs

Gamertag: sjmcg1304
    Quote Originally Posted by LustForLeith View Post
    I think Qatar will go far…
    I hope they match Sevco's Champions League record in just 3 games.

A horrible country
    Madness, as you know, is a lot like gravity. All it takes is a little push.

Gamer IDs

Gamertag: sjmcg1304
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim Herriot View Post
    Got my flag ready...

Iran right up there with Qatar in the 'horrible nation' stakes. I almost hope England beat them!
    Madness, as you know, is a lot like gravity. All it takes is a little push.

Quote Originally Posted by Baader View Post
    Uruguay have a strong squad. Can't see past Brazil. France's midfield is under strength, full options and they'd be hard to beat but retaining it is some ask. As for the tournament, can't get excited and don't plan to watch it. Football just wasn't supposed to be like this. FIFA are just abhorrent.
    Think the winner will come from either Argentina or Brazil, though sticking with Spain who's 9/1 and mbappe at 10/1 looks a good bet for top scorer too.Always enjoy the world cup and will watch what I can of it . FIFA have made a dreadful choice and should never have been held in Qatar . Haven't watched FiFA uncovered on Netflix yet been told it's good ,Guy that told me about it said that the USA I think it was had a much better pitch for this world cup.

Left by mutual consent!
    Quote Originally Posted by Donegal Hibby View Post
    Not looking to good for Martin Boyle.

https://www.scotsman.com/sport/footb...ent-in-3919793
    here's hoping he can get fit in time for it mate but if they have flown someone out it would suggest the writings on the wall.

@hibs.net private member Lancs Harp's Avatar
    Come on England ⚽️❤️😄

The winner of the Argentina Brazil semi will go on and beat France or Spain in the final (according to my predictor)

"Outsider" - Senegal

Posted on the bookie bashing thread but applicable here. PP got a decent offer on

Bet £10 on the golden Boot winner and receive a free £1 bet for EVERY shot on target AND goal scored by said player

Quote Originally Posted by Haymaker View Post
    Feeling Uruguay.

remember 1986
    I have all sorts of other world cup dates for most of the other countries

Quote Originally Posted by Lancs Harp View Post
    Come on England ⚽️❤️😄
    Aye right

Quote Originally Posted by GreenNWhiteArmy View Post
    The winner of the Argentina Brazil semi will go on and beat France or Spain in the final (according to my predictor)

"Outsider" - Senegal

Posted on the bookie bashing thread but applicable here. PP got a decent offer on

Bet £10 on the golden Boot winner and receive a free £1 bet for EVERY shot on target AND goal scored by said player
    I must have made a mistake as I've worked out Spain will play Argentina in quarter finals ?

@hibs.net private member
    Seen similar videos, so weird

https://mobile.twitter.com/FBAwayDay...85080349708288

Football Away Days
    @FBAwayDays
    Qatar are hiring people to pretend to be fans and build the atmosphere up for the World Cup

Another few weeks of totally pointless interviews filling all the column inches/bandwith that the editors need to fill, here's this insightful bit of journalism from Sam Vokes on the BBC website in the Wales camp;

There has been a lot of questions about people playing and picking up knocks over the last few weeks.There have been conversations about Gareth Bale's fitness for the last couple of years, but whenever he turns up for a Wales camp, and we've seen it in the last two play-offs, that he produces.
    I don't think there needs to be a question about his fitness. When he puts that Wales shirt on it is 100% Gareth Bale and that is what you get.

Fascinating Sam. But what's the actual point of what youve said?

@hibs.net private member
    A few countries made up of frenchmen and Qatar just a jumble sale

https://mobile.twitter.com/ZachLowy/...30938009116675

Zach Lowy
    @ZachLowy
    137 players will be playing in the World Cup for a different country than the one they were born in, per
    @Podcastinfinito
    :

@hibs.net private member JimBHibees's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Lancs Harp View Post
    Come on England ⚽️❤️😄

Are all the videos of actors dressed up as fans of various nations legit or is it part of some advertising campaign and the internet is doing a bit of mischief making?
    PM Awards General Poster of The Year 2015, 2016, 2017. Probably robbed in other years

I'm actually surprised at the lack of hype I have seen so far down here, usually talking about its coming home.

Do have an 11 fold for Monday to Friday with all the favourites on paper at 29-1 with a 30 pound bet on.

Teams in caps is who I have.

ENGLAND vs Iran
    ARGENTINA vs Saudi
    DENMARK vs Tunisia
    FRANCE vs Australia
    GERMANY vs Japan
    SPAIN vs Costa Rica
    BELGIUM vs Canada
    PORTUGAL vs Ghana
    BRAZIL vs Serbia
    NETHERLANDS vs Ecuador
    ENGLAND vs Usa

I understand football don't work like that and someone will probably let me down.