hibs.net Messageboard

The financial rewards of Europe

hearts rangers celtic aint done great, but the windfall is there for all to see

There aint a lot in for 3rd place right now and no doubt stay that way and its Europe up for grabs

Mon Hibs it can be done and the thought of away trips has me drooling

2. Log in to remove the advert

@hibs.net private member
    Would be interesting to see how much profit Hearts make from it against the potential downturn in their league position.

Obviously we couldn’t say where they’d finish has they not had europe to contend with, but if they make £1m from Europe but finish 6th you may find they’re not any better off than last year when they didn’t have Europe.

The money probably becomes a real big bonus when you can get into europe but still finish third and qualify again the next season.

Quote Originally Posted by Stubbsy90+2 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Would be interesting to see how much profit Hearts make from it against the potential downturn in their league position.

Obviously we couldn’t say where they’d finish has they not had europe to contend with, but if they make £1m from Europe but finish 6th you may find they’re not any better off than last year when they didn’t have Europe.

The money probably becomes a real big bonus when you can get into europe but still finish third and qualify again the next season.
    They'll make a lot more than a million. 3 full houses at £25 a ticket is 1.5 million alone, then add in participation fees and TV revenue.

@hibs.net private member Billy Whizz's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Since90+2 View Post
    They'll make a lot more than a million. 3 full houses at £25 a ticket is 1.5 million alone, then add in participation fees and TV revenue.
    they’ve received €3,929,22 from Uefa so far, this includes €500,000 for winning away. A win a home against the RFS would give them another €500,000

Gate money to be added, less travel cost etc

Not to be scoffed at from a financial point of view

The tricky part for any team qualifying for the Europa or Conference League group stages is going to be managing that hectic Thursday/Sunday schedule. Clubs like us and Hearts just don't have the depth to do it. Celtic brought in 2nd string players yesterday who would walk into our team and be our best or close to our best player.

Hearts will do very well financially in Europe this year. I also have little doubt that they will improve in the league after they are emptied out and have the WC break to rest. The next 5 games should be about building as much of a lead as we can over the chasing pack. It's a fairly kind run of fixtures and Hearts will continue to drop points in that time. I still view them as the biggest challenge for 3rd over the course of the season.

@hibs.net private member Ringothedog's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Billy Whizz View Post
    they’ve received €3,929,22 from Uefa so far, this includes €500,000 for winning away. A win a home against the RFS would give them another €500,000

I would guess at over 4.5m less costs for away trips. I will be very surprised if they don’t make 3.5m profit on their venture before any tax. That’s a huge amount and financial advantage they have over most other teams in the league.

@hibs.net private member Hibernia&Alba's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Ringothedog View Post
    I would guess at over 4.5m less costs for away trips. I will be very surprised if they don’t make 3.5m profit on their venture before any tax. That’s a huge amount and financial advantage they have over most other teams in the league.
    Aye, it's good money for clubs of our size. Plus, there's the excitement of European nights. Of course, you take a few pumpings, but it's very good for the income.
    HIBERNIAN FC - ON THE RIGHT SIDE OF HISTORY SINCE 1875

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by Billy Whizz View Post

Didn’t realise it was as much as that!

@hibs.net private member Billy Whizz's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Stubbsy90+2 View Post
    Didn’t realise it was as much as that!

If this is correct it is
    https://www.fotcalc.com/prize-money-calculator

Huge opportunity missed by us not strengthening the squad after we finished 3rd. Hopefully on the road to making amends.

Quote Originally Posted by Since452 View Post
    Huge opportunity missed by us not strengthening the squad after we finished 3rd. Hopefully on the road to making amends.
    I think Ron's recognised that which is why he's allowed LJ to bring in so many players and to go over budget to bring back Boyle. Let's hope it pays off.

The Yams were incredibly fortunate to get guaranteed European football.

Really just due to timing that they got lucky. Results have proved they are out of their depth.

Quote Originally Posted by Hibees1973 View Post
    The Yams were incredibly fortunate to get guaranteed European football.

Really just due to timing that they got lucky. Results have proved they are out of their depth.
    Other than the Ugly Sisters, any Scottish club would be out their depth in that situation.

If one of us, Hearts or Aberdeen can do it for three seasons in a row, then you'll see a more competitive Scottish team as the money will be there for squad rotation and the players will be more used to playing twice a week every week.
    Mature, sensible signature required for responsible position. Good prospects for the right candidate. Apply within.

Quote Originally Posted by Pretty Boy View Post
    The tricky part for any team qualifying for the Europa or Conference League group stages is going to be managing that hectic Thursday/Sunday schedule. Clubs like us and Hearts just don't have the depth to do it. Celtic brought in 2nd string players yesterday who would walk into our team and be our best or close to our best player.

Hearts will do very well financially in Europe this year. I also have little doubt that they will improve in the league after they are emptied out and have the WC break to rest. The next 5 games should be about building as much of a lead as we can over the chasing pack. It's a fairly kind run of fixtures and Hearts will continue to drop points in that time. I still view them as the biggest challenge for 3rd over the course of the season.
    Couldn’t agree more about m getting points on the board between now and the World Cup. 15 points to play for and we need to be looking at 10 minimum.

Hearts have both Celtic and Rangers to play in that time as well. We really need to make this period count.

What's the story with European qualification this season?

Do first get automatic CL Group stage and third guarantees group stage like hearts got?

Watching the injuries hearts are getting and the doings they are getting not so sure long term europe is not the boon many make it out to be. No team outside the infirm has the finances or the squad to make inroads in europe. Even getting £3m profit is only what we got for josh plus the possibility of loads of injuries which could well ruin this season and maybe the next too.
    For us,the dons or hearts to make an impact in europe will take upwards of £10m for us to build a squad capable of competing in europe and at home.
    Id rather win a cup than obsess over europe. Surely the tankings scottish teams have had this season should tem
    per any rush to make europe the main goal.
    Last edited by mjhibby; 16-10-2022 at 11:30 PM.

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by GreenNWhiteArmy View Post
    What's the story with European qualification this season?

Do first get automatic CL Group stage and third guarantees group stage like hearts got?
    The cup winning spot guarantees group stage. That will be given to third place should one of the Old Firm win the cup.

Quote Originally Posted by mjhibby View Post
    Watching the injuries hearts are getting and the doings they are getting not so sure long term europe is not the boon many make it out to be. No team outside the infirm has the finances or the squad to make inroads in europe. Even getting £3m profit is only what we got for josh plus the possibility of loads of injuries which could well ruin this season and maybe the next too.
    For us,the dons or hearts to make an impact in europe will take upwards of £10m for us to build a squad capable of competing in europe and at home.
    Id rather win a cup than obsess over europe. Surely the tankings scottish teams have had this season should tem
    per any rush to make europe the main goal.
    I agree. We'd need to be in the group stages for a few seasons running to see any real benefit. Like you say though, the chances of that are slim as other teams in our league will pounce on a hectic Thursday - Sunday schedule and the problems that brings. Would need to weigh up the embarrassing pumpings and some fantastic away trips. Hearts have been spanked but not many of the ones that were in Florence will be too bothered.

@hibs.net private member KeithTheHibby's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Ringothedog View Post
    I wonder how much of this they have already spent on some of those duff players? Suspect quite a portion of it.

Quote Originally Posted by KeithTheHibby View Post
    I wonder how much of this they have already spent on some of those duff players? Suspect quite a portion of it.
    Did they pay a fee for Shakland? He was on 5k plus a week at Dundee United so god know what Hearts are paying him. He's showing why i really didn't want Hibs to sign him.

@hibs.net private member KeithTheHibby's Avatar
    Did they pay a fee for Shakland? He was on 5k plus a week at Dundee United so god know what Hearts are paying him. He's showing why i really didn't want Hibs to sign him.
    They must have done, he was under contract with that team in Belgium.

Hearts are 3 points off 3rd place with a game in hand while pulling in an extra couple of million quid. Hardly a desperate situation.