hibs.net Messageboard

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
    @hibs.net private member Spike Mandela's Avatar
    Blog Entries

10 league games in and no Hibs striker has scored.

I know a debatable decision cost the Ukranian lad a goal tonight but so far into a season and no striker has scored a goal, that must be unprecedented, surely?

64% possession tonight, 18 shots away from home, we’re making chances.

Why aren’t our strikers scoring?

2. Log in to remove the advert

@hibs.net private member Alfred E Newman's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Spike Mandela View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I know a debatable decision cost the Ukranian lad a goal tonight but so far into a season and no striker has scored a goal, that must be unprecedented, surely?

Simple, they are not good enough.

Left by mutual consent! AL-Qaholik's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Alfred E Newman View Post
    Simple, they are not good enough.
    This

Skewed by the fact we played five games before Mckirdy and big myk joined but understand the frustrations

Mckirdy really irks me for some reason. Might be the hair, and the really low socks or his demeanour I dunno. We can see myk putting in a graft and linking really well

Quote Originally Posted by Spike Mandela View Post

The way I see it is we don’t really have strikers bar Nisbet but forwards. Take Boyle out (he was rotten tonight) and we are struggling to find natural goal scorers. We’re not the only team with that problem though.

I know it’s irrelevant and we don’t know how much the option to buy was, but I would have really liked to have see Jasper in this team with the way we play.

Youan has attributes that fear teams like his pace but his touch, passing, shooting and decision making is poor.

The lack of goalscoring from our strikers is becoming a bit of a concern.

Obviously Kukharevych should have got off the mark tonight but in general it is a very poor statistic.

@hibs.net private member Alfred E Newman's Avatar
    Excluding Boyle, the only other player that looks like an instinctive finisher is Campbell. He isn’t the quickest but might be worth pushing him further forward, he can’t be any less effective than Youan.

@hibs.net private member
    I rate Kukharevych from what I have seen so far but Youan has been disappointing after a decent start. Campbell has done well this year but we are so reliant on Boyle.

The recruitment team have found some good players but at the same time we have an awful lot who simply aren't good enough.

If press reports are to be believed we've spent over £500k on Melkerson and McKirdy, a lot of money for a club of our size for two guys who don't look anywhere near what we need.

@hibs.net private member Jones28's Avatar
    That’s pretty damning. We can have no complaints when we lose games like tonight if we can’t finish the chances we create.
    "...when Hibs won the Scottish Cup final and that celebration, Sunshine on Leith? I don’t think there’s a better football celebration ever in the game.”

Sir Alex Ferguson

If Melkersen was to play centrally he would score imo, especially with the amount of chances we create.

The question is would the team still look as fluid as it does? Kukharevych leads the line very well and gives defenders a hard game.

First Team Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by Unseen work View Post
    I know it’s irrelevant and we don’t know how much the option to buy was, but I would have really liked to have see Jasper in this team with the way we play.

Youan has attributes that fear teams like his pace but his touch, passing, shooting and decision making is poor.
    Jasper was rubbish. Youan looked really rubbish tonight.

@hibs.net private member JohnM1875's Avatar
    Gamer IDs

PSN ID: johnmac1875
    Quote Originally Posted by neil7908 View Post
    I rate Kukharevych from what I have seen so far but Youan has been disappointing after a decent start. Campbell has done well this year but we are so reliant on Boyle.

The recruitment team have found some good players but at the same time we have an awful lot who simply aren't good enough.

If press reports are to be believed we've spent over £500k on Melkerson and McKirdy, a lot of money for a club of our size for two guys who don't look anywhere near what we need.
    I'd actually forgot about Melkersen. He's 19 though so plenty time for him to show his worth.

@hibs.net private member Northernhibee's Avatar
    McKirdy looked OK tonight I thought. Was at least getting shots away. Kukharevych should have been off the mark, Youan is murder.

Do you think your security can keep you in purity, you will not shake us off above or below. Scottish friction, Scottish fiction

Quote Originally Posted by #2 Double Tap View Post
    Jasper was rubbish. Youan looked really rubbish tonight.
    So he’d be an upgrade?😅

Cannot criticise the money invested in the squad.

Melkersen & McKirdy cost an estimated £600k. But is the Norwegian 2nd division (where Melkersen was playing, he couldn't get into the Bodo/Glimt 1st team) and the 4th tier in England, Swindon, in McKirdy's case really where we should be spending this kind of money.

They both seem like expensive punts to me. Thought Melkersen looked promising to begin with. I sympathise with his health issues but he has been here nearly a year and not appearing anywhere near to being a first team starter. Surely as his price he is not deemed a development player by Hibs.

McKirdy looks lighweight and will find it difficult physically in the SPFL.

If Melkersen was to play centrally he would score imo, especially with the amount of chances we create.

The question is would the team still look as fluid as it does? Kukharevych leads the line very well and gives defenders a hard game.
    I honestly don't think Melkersen is anywhere near ready to play first team football at our level.

First Team Regular
    So he’d be an upgrade?😅
    Ha.

like for like, both have failings but youan probly shades it for me.

Mckirdy is a ball greedy wee nob.

If he was half as good as he thinks he is, he'd be twice as good as he is.

Youan is not a striker.

Melkerson 2 goals in 25(?).

#99 is our best hope. He seems decent, but should've had at least 2 tonight.

First Team Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by Hibees1973 View Post

Melkersen & McKirdy cost an estimated £600k. But is the Norwegian 2nd division (where Melkersen was playing, he couldn't get into the Bodo/Glimt 1st team) and the 4th tier in England, Swindon, in McKirdy's case really where we should be spending this kind of money.

They both seem like expensive punts to me. Thought Melkersen looked promising to begin with. I sympathise with his health issues but he has been here nearly a year and not appearing anywhere near to being a first team starter. Surely as his price he is not deemed a development player by Hibs.

Are you reading my mind or something.

Quote Originally Posted by Hibees1973 View Post

Both look ridiculous wastes of money if we are honest.

Quote Originally Posted by Nakedmanoncrack View Post
    Melkersen certainly, the boy has absolutely nothing to offer a club like Hibs. Can't say "he's young, give him time", he's had the best part of a year and doesn't have the strength, pace, technical ability, off the ball positioning, and going by how he's missed a couple of absolute sitters doesn't have the finishing ability either.

McKirdy might come good, but the LJ comments about having to "nail" him concern me. I did think he looked OK tonight and showed some endeavour to do something.

It's beginning to feel that the recruitment strategy is to throw as much of the proverbial at the wall and hoping some of it sticks as for the sheer volume of players we've signed in the summer, we feel very light.

Do you think your security can keep you in purity, you will not shake us off above or below. Scottish friction, Scottish fiction

@hibs.net private member
    I believe when Youan and Myko in particular (hopefully McKirdy too) get that first goal, we will see a massive boost in confidence and a goal run on the cards. It’s defo coming!

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by Nakedmanoncrack View Post
    Thought that was McKirdy’s first decent minutes for us ..was much more involved and contribution useful

@hibs.net private member Heisenberg's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by bigwheel View Post
    Thought that was McKirdy’s first decent minutes for us ..was much more involved and contribution useful
    Same here. A bizarre moment to choose to brand him as a ridiculous waste of money.

Left by mutual consent! Dunbar Hibee's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Northernhibee View Post
    Melkersen certainly, the boy has absolutely nothing to offer a club like Hibs. Can't say "he's young, give him time", he's had the best part of a year and doesn't have the strength, pace, technical ability, off the ball positioning, and going by how he's missed a couple of absolute sitters doesn't have the finishing ability either.

McKirdy might come good, but the LJ comments about having to "nail" him concern me. I did think he looked OK tonight and showed some endeavour to do something.

It's beginning to feel that the recruitment strategy is to throw as much of the proverbial at the wall and hoping some of it sticks as for the sheer volume of players we've signed in the summer, we feel very light.
    He is young, and he does need time…

Quote Originally Posted by Dunbar Hibee View Post
    He is young, and he does need time…
    He's had plenty of time and both Jamie Gullan and Oli Shaw showed a ton more potential at his age and ultimately weren't good enough.

Left by mutual consent! Dunbar Hibee's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Northernhibee View Post
    He's had plenty of time and both Jamie Gullan and Oli Shaw showed a ton more potential at his age and ultimately weren't good enough.
    Absolute nonsense in my opinion. Time will tell.

Left by mutual consent!
    Time to start McKirdy.

Quote Originally Posted by bigwheel View Post
    Agree, I thought he looked much sharper. Bad decision when he should have squared instead of passing but I thought he was decent.

We really need our forwards scoring now though. It’ll be the difference between finishing third or fifth IMO. It feels a bit like it’s back to needing Boyle to do something. And if he’s not at it, like tonight, you’re wondering who will do something in the final third.