hibs.net Messageboard

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    @hibs.net private member Northernhibee's Avatar

We need to talk about the direction of our club

As a counterbalance to the “we need to talk about Lee” thread.

I’m concerned. Unless we sign 3-4 good first team players who know the league before the window shuts it’s been another brutal window IMO. Players have come in who may be good in time but aren’t good enough just now. Something like thirteen players in and we’re still feel short of quality despite what is on paper arguably a bloated squad. No real identity to our play. The manager making concerning remarks in interviews suggesting he might not be the happiest with the situation.

This could be the third poor transfer window in a row. We’re on our third manager since the start of last season.

On the plus side since then we’ve reached a final and a semi final, brought in new commercial partnerships and have boards and screens up in the stadium which is looking good and new hospitality suites which look great.

Im just deeply concerned about how we’ve changed manager - twice - and the same problems remain. It feels a bit like the rot is in danger of setting in.

I start this thread as I like LJ and want him here long term. I would be interested in peoples thoughts on how we get the ship turned around on the pitch and headed in the right direction again. 5pts from 15 isn’t acceptable.

Do you think your security can keep you in purity, you will not shake us off above or below. Scottish friction, Scottish fiction

2. Log in to remove the advert

South, down or falling.

No other answer is correct.

@hibs.net private member green day's Avatar
    I said after Maloney was canned that the first appointment should be a DoF, not a manager.

DoF decides on football strategy, appoints managers, sources the type of players the manager wants via contacts etc.

That answer isnt rocket science, it was obvious to a blind man, but not to Ron Gordon and Ben Kensell.

Ron has gone on record stating that he thinks the recruitment has worked well - that tells me that he doesnt know enough, but is too stubborn to do the right thing.

That needs to change, but until Ron changes it, we are stuck in limbo.

The players we have need to be the best versions of themselves that they can be and match the opposition for commitment from the kick off, that shouldn't be a big ask, players being out injured doesn't help the manager in terms of selection.
    Unfortunately there's no quick fix and even in a Hibs context we should be doing better than we are, I find all of these things difficult to envisage on what I've seen,alas that's my perception of events.

@hibs.net private member Stuart93's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Northernhibee View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    As a counterbalance to the “we need to talk about Lee” thread.

I’m concerned. Unless we sign 3-4 good first team players who know the league before the window shuts it’s been another brutal window IMO. Players have come in who may be good in time but aren’t good enough just now. Something like thirteen players in and we’re still feel short of quality despite what is on paper arguably a bloated squad. No real identity to our play. The manager making concerning remarks in interviews suggesting he might not be the happiest with the situation.

This could be the third poor transfer window in a row. We’re on our third manager since the start of last season.

On the plus side since then we’ve reached a final and a semi final, brought in new commercial partnerships and have boards and screens up in the stadium which is looking good and new hospitality suites which look great.

Im just deeply concerned about how we’ve changed manager - twice - and the same problems remain. It feels a bit like the rot is in danger of setting in.

I start this thread as I like LJ and want him here long term. I would be interested in peoples thoughts on how we get the ship turned around on the pitch and headed in the right direction again. 5pts from 15 isn’t acceptable.
    All about recruitment and the football side of the club for me. RG is getting it right off the field but it’s clear they’ve zero clue about on field.

Bring in a director of football/similar position to be in charge of all things football related on the park. We’ve signed so many young players and none of them look ready.

Man for man our current players are at least as good as most other teams in the league they just don’t show it. OK, we have a couple of problem positions but so do other teams. The manager is not getting the best out of what he has, he may not be happy with what he has but he is still not using his resources well enough.
    I don’t know who has the final say in what players arrive at ER but if LJ doesn’t have a big say in 1st team squad additions that’s a unsustainable situation.

@hibs.net private member Alfred E Newman's Avatar
    If we stay out the relegation dog fight it will be a success.

It’s Ron Gordon’s club - he’ll do whatever he wants with it.

@hibs.net private member Bostonhibby's Avatar
    I agree, but we don't matter.

Development team is the place to be. The transition just got longer, enjoy the journey.

Sent from my SM-A750FN using Tapatalk

"I did not need any persuasion to play for such a great club, the Hibs result is still one of the first I look for"

Sir Matt Busby

@hibs.net private member
    The rot isn’t starting to set in, it’s well and truly already set.

We are a horror show.

@hibs.net private member Hibernian Verse's Avatar
    Give it a round of fixtures first. Usual posters circling here.

Quote Originally Posted by Hibernian Verse View Post
    We have won 4 games in the league this year. We are in deep ****.

You don't think the last 36 fixtures have been enough to start drawing conclusions on the raft of guff that we've seen time and again?

Usual posters defending the indefensible.

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by Chorley Hibee View Post
    You don't think the last 36 fixtures have been enough to start drawing conclusions on the raft of guff that we've seen time and again?

Laughable to suggest we should just keep waiting to see how we go.

@hibs.net private member blackpoolhibs's Avatar
    There is no doubt that off the field we are doing magnificently well, profits soaring. What i dont understand is the football philosophy,

Surely a man who is delivering off field, can see his vision is clearly the wrong way about.

Get the 1st team right first, and the rest can come after.

Coaching Staff
    Quote Originally Posted by Yorkshire HFC View Post
    It’s Ron Gordon’s club - he’ll do whatever he wants with it.
    That’s the huge worry. Sooner he goes, the better - my stance won’t change on my opinion of RG so I suppose I’m now lumped into the ‘usual posters circling’ bracket.

@hibs.net private member WhileTheChief..'s Avatar
    What’s your issue with RG? (I don’t mean that in a nippy, argumentative way as it maybe comes across!!)

I generally like what he has to say and the ‘vision’ he has for the club. The talk about increasing turnover and being top 4 / in the semis each year is what I want to hear.

The bits I don’t want to hear from him are when he starts talking about players and our squad. I simply can’t agree with anything he says on that front.

And Ben Kensall. He’s wrong about Ben too.

Other than that???

I call it how I see it. Not a “usual poster defending the indefensible”.

It’s a miracle most of you can cope with setbacks in your day to day lives.

I call it how I see it. Not a “usual poster defending the indefensible”.

It’s a miracle most of you can cope with setbacks in your day to day lives.
    It's not "setbacks" when you have only won 4 league games in almost 9 months, it's a huge failure across the entire football dept.

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by green day View Post
    It's not "setbacks" when you have only won 4 league games in almost 9 months, it's a huge failure across the entire football dept.
    This. I'm certainly not panicking yet (not sure if I've ever panicked about anything to do with Hibs!) but the the next week is massive.

If we fail to strengthen appropriately and lose to Killie I can't see any real hope for us getting a decent campaign in the league or SC.

Relegation is a long way off but I wouldn't rule it out with the current squad.

@hibs.net private member

Absolutely laughable to have a go at fans.

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by neil7908 View Post
    This. I'm certainly not panicking yet (not sure if I've ever panicked about anything to do with Hibs!) but the the next week is massive.

If we fail to strengthen appropriately and lose to Killie I can't see any real hope for us getting a decent campaign in the league or SC.

Relegation is a long way off but I wouldn't rule it out with the current squad.
    Relegation is only a long way off in terms of months until it gets to that time.

Standard wise, it’s already here. This team will be fighting relegation.

@hibs.net private member Jones28's Avatar

I’m usually on the clubs side, it’s becoming very difficult to defend what is rapidly becoming indefensible.

Recruitment has been a horror show since last summer, 3 managers and no DOF, endless stream of recruits for a development side and not addressing first team problems.

Off the pitch everything has been very good, but that’s a sideshow. It’s time for the first team to get the attention it so desperately needs.

We need centre forwards, midfielders and a centre back ASAP.
    "...when Hibs won the Scottish Cup final and that celebration, Sunshine on Leith? I don’t think there’s a better football celebration ever in the game.”

Sir Alex Ferguson

Some absolute drama queens on here just now. Tiresome.

You have to forget last season though. It’s gone. If LJ can’t get a few wins out the rest of round ones fixtures then we can revisit. If Youan had tucked away his chances were talking very differently.

@hibs.net private member
    You have to forget last season though. It’s gone. If LJ can’t get a few wins out the rest of round ones fixtures then we can revisit. If Youan had tucked away his chances were talking very differently.
    What?

We don’t have to forget last season at all. Lessons should have been learned from last season that clearly haven’t been.

The last thing we should be doing is simply forgetting last season.

Quote Originally Posted by Stubbsy90+2 View Post

Absolutely laughable to have a go at fans.
    Not as funny as most of the thread titles on here this morning.

@hibs.net private member
    Not as funny as most of the thread titles on here this morning.
    Na, it really is.

Quote Originally Posted by Stubbsy90+2 View Post
    Na, it really is.
    I’d love to have a pint with you just to see if you’re as negative in real life. I’ll buy.

@hibs.net private member
    We can only forget last season when it's clear we've learned lessons and moved on.

What's the saying about ignoring history and being doomed to repeat the same mistakes?

Aberdeen came into this season in a similar position as us: crap previous season, comparable budget to ours that is way ahead of most teams in the league, a new manager and lots of players signed.

And yet they seem to have escaped the mythical transition that Hibs always seem to be told we have to accept.