hibs.net Messageboard

(NHC) Edinburgh City

https://twitter.com/FC_Edinburgh/status/1562445607113232390?t=CWN0DNMEvzq9UNP-iIIWTA&s=19

Just saw this on twitter. One of their 2009's subjected to racist abuse by the opposing teams coach (allegedly). Absolutely disgusting if that's the case and the guy has surely just ****ed over the team he was coaching as he'll lose his PVG and end up with a criminal record.

Absolutely no need for any discrimination in this day and age. Feel sorry for the kid hopefully he'll never have to put up with this kind of **** again.

2. Log in to remove the advert

Read about a young boy being racially abused by an opposition coach (monkey chants and gestures) at a game up in Balerno the other week. Might be the same incident. Marvin Bartley called it out on Twitter.

Worrying times when kids are subjected to this stuff. Horrific enough when it’s a parent but unimaginable when it’s an actual coach.
    Last edited by Lendo; 25-08-2022 at 08:22 PM.

There's need to be more ongoing assessment of coaches in Scotland.

The SFA coaching courses are top notch but at the entry levels it's turn up and leave with a certificate and that's you for a few years. That leads to a whole load of guys being unleashed into youth football who are wholly unsuited to holding such a position.

Someone with the mentality to abuse players for any reason at under 13 level simply should not be able to hold a coaching position at any level. The racism just makes it worse. An adult abusing a child for his haircut or blinged up boots is enough of a dick move. Add in some 70s throwback bigotry and it's the behaviour of both an oddball and a roaster.

@hibs.net private member cameronw-hfc's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Pretty Boy View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    There's need to be more ongoing assessment of coaches in Scotland.

The SFA coaching courses are top notch but at the entry levels it's turn up and leave with a certificate and that's you for a few years. That leads to a whole load of guys being unleashed into youth football who are wholly unsuited to holding such a position.

Someone with the mentality to abuse players for any reason at under 13 level simply should not be able to hold a coaching position at any level. The racism just makes it worse. An adult abusing a child for his haircut or blinged up boots is enough of a dick move. Add in some 70s throwback bigotry and it's the behaviour of both an oddball and a roaster.

As someone going through their badges right now and coaching a 2013s team, we've been pretty lucky with most coaches we've come up against being decent, but some of the horror stories from the lads parents etc that have boys at other age groups is mental.

The one time we did have an iffy comment was a grown man telling their players to "take out the black lad" over and over. The lad came up and asked me at the end why they use numbers to talk about everyone else but it's "the black lad" for him. Funnily enough its the same old fashioned coaches that should "punt it" "don't do anything stupid" anytime a player tries something.

Part of the issue over here is coaches still being in the 60/70s. We lost at the weekend and admittedly shouted a bit too much, nothing OTT, just players not listening winding us up, and the first thing we done was apologise to the parents, ref and kids as we know it's kids football. You get some folk that spend the full game shouting abuse at their own players, at under 8s and 9s football. A whole revamt of the structure needed imo to weed out these types.

Quote Originally Posted by cameronw-hfc View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    As someone going through their badges right now and coaching a 2013s team, we've been pretty lucky with most coaches we've come up against being decent, but some of the horror stories from the lads parents etc that have boys at other age groups is mental.

The one time we did have an iffy comment was a grown man telling their players to "take out the black lad" over and over. The lad came up and asked me at the end why they use numbers to talk about everyone else but it's "the black lad" for him. Funnily enough its the same old fashioned coaches that should "punt it" "don't do anything stupid" anytime a player tries something.

Part of the issue over here is coaches still being in the 60/70s. We lost at the weekend and admittedly shouted a bit too much, nothing OTT, just players not listening winding us up, and the first thing we done was apologise to the parents, ref and kids as we know it's kids football. You get some folk that spend the full game shouting abuse at their own players, at under 8s and 9s football. A whole revamt of the structure needed imo to weed out these types.
    The first half of this is just awful.

Re the second part, I coach for a few age groups (2010s, 2014s and 2017s). We've only had issues with two or three sets of coaches, but one game the parents were so bad with the referee that the game got abandoned.

Unfortunately, the coaches and parents of the opposition knew it was the last game at the central venue and just hurled disgusting abuse at the ref from the get go. We ended up having to walk him out as some of the parents were losing the plot.

It's almost impossible to weed these people out though unfortunately, so many people have the attitude of "well my coach spoke to me this way" not realising that's the reason they're unlikeable idiots. Hopefully the parents of the team involved get together and get this guy out the game.

My kid was in a game and his team weren't particularly good but the opposing team three coaches were laughing at the kids. Not a good look for them as adults. There fourth coach was the referee and let the team get away with murder. Within a couple of minutes one of our players was elbowed in face and he let it slide saying it was accidental. Set the tone for the rest of the match really.

One of my kids coaches lost the plot and got sent off for questioning the favouritism. Strangely, it was the only game they played that never had a proper referee.

I can remember when I was playing as a 13 year old men from the sidelines shouting at players to "break his (me) ****ing legs"