hibs.net Messageboard

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    @hibs.net private member Scouse Hibee's Avatar
    Correct decision, it was never a red card.

2. Log in to remove the advert

@hibs.net private member phoenixfire's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Scouse Hibee View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Correct decision, it was never a red card.
    Red card all day long for me .watched it many times still think it's a red card though really curious why you think it was never a red?We all see things in football in different ways mate just curious to hear your opinion ?

Quote Originally Posted by phoenixfire View Post
    Red card all day long for me .watched it many times still think it's a red card though really curious why you think it was never a red?We all see things in football in different ways mate just curious to hear your opinion ?
    Really down to seeing the same thing many many times during my lifetime watching football. Player commits foul to prevent an opponent breaking away on a counter attack and receives a yellow. Call it a tactical foul, a professional foul or taking one for the team, it’s a yellow card offence. Despite the numerous freeze framed images trying to show it a high and dangerous it really wasn’t that bad. It happened in front of me in the West and I was stunned to see the red card shown.
    Last edited by Scouse Hibee; 24-08-2022 at 12:16 AM.

@hibs.net private member phoenixfire's Avatar
    Really down to seeing the same thing many many times during my lifetime watching football. Player commits foul to prevent an opponent breaking away on a counter attack and receives a yellow. Call it a tactical foul, a professional foul or taking one for the team, it’s a yellow card offence. Despite the numerous freeze framed images trying to show it a high and dangerous it really wasn’t that bad. It happened in front of me in the West and I was stunned to see the red card shown.
    Totally different to what I think about it btw though thanks for your opinion on it always interesting to hear a different opinion

The folk saying it wasn't a red obviously never watched the Newcastle game on Sunday where the exact same challenge was changed from a red to yellow during the game. That's with a team of refs in the VAR room looking at it then the actual ref reviewing and changing his decision.

@hibs.net private member cameronw-hfc's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by SChibs View Post
    The folk saying it wasn't a red obviously never watched the Newcastle game on Sunday where the exact same challenge was changed from a red to yellow during the game. That's with a team of refs in the VAR room looking at it then the actual ref reviewing and changing his decision.

Surely the fact it was overturned shows it's not a red? If there was VAR, the one vs us would have been overturned as well. I love getting it up them, but that one was a yellow all day long.

Quote Originally Posted by Booked4Being-Ugly View Post
    It was a red card all day long. I take it if he done Boyle a bit of damage then people would still be happy with the yellow?
    I think the whole point is that his tackle didn't do Boyle any damage and therefore it was a yellow card as opposed to a red.

That's the difference between reckless play (yellow card) and using excessive force that endagers the safety of the opponent (red card).

Quote Originally Posted by Sir David Gray View Post
    I think the whole point is that his tackle didn't do Boyle any damage and therefore it was a yellow card as opposed to a red.

That's the difference between reckless play (yellow card) and using excessive force that endagers the safety of the opponent (red card).
    Whether it ‘did Boyle any damage’ is irrelevant to whether a red or yellow should be shown.

@hibs.net private member scoopyboy's Avatar

So players should only get a red if the player is damaged!!!!!

Similarly should players who make a token gesture of a head butt not be sent off either, lets face it despite the recipient rolling about on the deck they're not really damaged.

If you want a good laugh go and see how many rangers fans are greeting about a tackle in last night's game and want a red card for it. Then compare it to their take on this tackle.

@hibs.net private member Callum_62's Avatar
    Gamer IDs

Wii Code: 0083-4364-6418-4974

I don't think the Killies boys had much damage either but both County players have quite rightly been cited

I don't think lundstrams is a red either BUT the outrage is way OTT

His foot was high, his studs were up, he didn't just 'clip Boyles heels' in the type of tactical foul we see alog of - it was a much worse tackle than that

Ofcourse we we slow it down and see exactly where his studs went etc there can always be a case for claiming its not that bad

Collum, seen from his angle probbaly thought the same as me, that his studs went right into Martins calf

On replay, they didn't but I don't like the whole media campaign to equate it with a simple trip

Its a yellow, probably verging to an orange card

Sent from my VOG-L29 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Callum_62 View Post
    I don't think the Killies boys had much damage either but both County players have quite rightly been cited

I don't think lundstrams is a red either BUT the outrage is way OTT

His foot was high, his studs were up, he didn't just 'clip Boyles heels' in the type of tactical foul we see alog of - it was a much worse tackle than that

Ofcourse we we slow it down and see exactly where his studs went etc there can always be a case for claiming its not that bad

Collum, seen from his angle probbaly thought the same as me, that his studs went right into Martins calf

On replay, they didn't but I don't like the whole media campaign to equate it with a simple trip

Its a yellow, probably verging to an orange card

Sent from my VOG-L29 using Tapatalk
    This is exactly where I am with it too. It could go either way, red or yellow, down to refs discretion.

@hibs.net private member Hibernia&Alba's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by hibsbollah View Post
    This is exactly where I am with it too. It could go either way, red or yellow, down to refs discretion.
    Yes, a debateable one. I'm not shocked it has been downgraded, but it was borderline, IMHO. It was the sort of foul that causes serious injury.
    HIBERNIAN FC - ON THE RIGHT SIDE OF HISTORY SINCE 1875

@hibs.net private member
    It happened in front of me in the West and I was stunned to see the red card shown.
    It was nowhere near the west stand 🤷🏻

Quote Originally Posted by BoomtownHibeys View Post
    I think he means ‘in line’.

I had a good view of it too from the West, I was thinking ‘that’s a bad one, he’ll give a yellow for this but it is a proper professional foul from the back so it should be red really’ and was surprised, not because it was a mad decision but because it went our way.
    Last edited by hibsbollah; 24-08-2022 at 07:39 AM.

I thought at the time it was a red card and I still do - the reason I did was that I understood it to be the job of the referee (and the rules of the game) to protect the players on the park. There was no attempt whatsoever to play the ball and serious injury may well have occurred (it didn't, but ....) The Rangers player took that into account, he wasn't after the ball, he was after Boyle - he didn't care about injuring him.

Not sure what explanation has been give as to why this cynical foul is now only a yellow: what message does that send out, I wonder?

@hibs.net private member Green Man's Avatar
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: TheMightyJag PSN ID: FiveOClockHero
    I was surprised to see the red at the time, but that’s probably more because it was a Rangers player rather than how bad the challenge was. Collum was very quick to produce the card, maybe if he’d taken a couple of seconds to think about it he would have given a yellow, but it worked in our favour so I’m not complaining.

Quote Originally Posted by PeeJay View Post
    I thought at the time it was a red card and I still do - the reason I did was that I understood it to be the job of the referee (and the rules of the game) to protect the players on the park. There was no attempt whatsoever to play the ball and serious injury may well have occurred (it didn't, but ....) The Rangers player took that into account, he wasn't after the ball, he was after Boyle - he didn't care about injuring him.

Not sure what explanation has been give as to why this cynical foul is now only a yellow: what message does that send out, I wonder?
    I am with you on this. If Ryan makes this tackle and gets a red don't think it will be overturned. If in the refs opinion no attempt is made to try and play the ball and merely stop and an opponent by playing the man/women it's a red, need to eradicate this type of tackle

@hibs.net private member weecounty hibby's Avatar
    Red card all day long for me, and not just as it was a hun and against us. I think in almost every league in Europe outside Scotland that would be red. And ignore Dermot Gallacher, he is an erse. Only one(maybe two) clubs in Scotland would have had that overturned and the lobbying by the media helped that big time. Surprised they didn't appeal fat Freddos as well and ask for Walker and Boyd to come as witnesses for the defence.

It's a yellow. There's an argument to be made that these tackles shouldn't be a yellow but for now, they are, everyone knows it.

It's only a red if it's studs up and reckless like Calum Patterson's was on Boyle(?) a few years ago when he broke away towards the end of the derby.

Even the Harry Cochrane one on John McGinn was probably right to only be a yellow despite the way he lunged.

We'd all be the same if it went the other way.

That proves to me the ref got it wrong and had VAR been in place it would have been over turned at the time rather than on appeal.

Quote Originally Posted by BoomtownHibeys View Post
    I was in the West and the view I had was in front of me. It was closer to the West than the East👍
    Last edited by Scouse Hibee; 24-08-2022 at 08:42 AM.

Gamer IDs

Gamertag: SAKSxCORE PSN ID: SlickShoes

How do you tell if a tackle like this has done damage, what if it did but the damage didn't show up until later and the player is then out for 3 weeks?

I understand that this is currently a yellow, but even as a defender when I played I still find it hard to believe that a deliberate foul with no intention to get the ball and only harm the player is a yellow card. It is basically a free hit for the defender and a rule that to me makes no sense.

@hibs.net private member Tricla's Avatar
    I always thought a professional foul was a red card. Got this from Google -

'Fouls which are committed with excessive force, however, or which are deliberately committed to deny an obvious goalscoring opportunity for the player fouled (i.e. a professional foul), are punishable by a red card'.

Red card all day long AFAIC

Quote Originally Posted by weecounty hibby View Post
    Red card all day long for me, and not just as it was a hun and against us. I think in almost every league in Europe outside Scotland that would be red. And ignore Dermot Gallacher, he is an erse. Only one(maybe two) clubs in Scotland would have had that overturned and the lobbying by the media helped that big time. Surprised they didn't appeal fat Freddos as well and ask for Walker and Boyd to come as witnesses for the defence.

Boyd said it was a red, didn’t contest it at all

Quote Originally Posted by SlickShoes View Post
    How do you tell if a tackle like this has done damage, what if it did but the damage didn't show up until later and the player is then out for 3 weeks?

I understand that this is currently a yellow, but even as a defender when I played I still find it hard to believe that a deliberate foul with no intention to get the ball and only harm the player is a yellow card. It is basically a free hit for the defender and a rule that to me makes no sense.
    How do you know he was trying to harm the player? He was just trying to stop the counter attack, it was no worse than a trip.

Red card all day for me, it was high out of control and no attempt whatsoever to play the ball.

Reminded me at the time of the Paterson assault on Malonga a few years ago in a derby at ER.

As the OP alluded to, no surprise to see this rescinded however - corrupt to the core and the media absolutely play their part in this.

Can't actually believe folk on here are defending this - when Porto (who won the ball and never even touched the man at ibrox last year) was unsuccessful on appeal

Struggling to understand the point you're trying to make here.

@hibs.net private member
    I was in the West and the view I had was in front of me. It was closer to the West than the East👍
    Are we both talking about the Lundstram challenge?

Quote Originally Posted by JohnM1875 View Post
    It's cheating and I've honestly no idea why it's it's allowed and called a 'professional foul' hate it when we do it and it should be a red card. Premeditated cheating.
    Absolutely. Exploiting the rules is cheating. Should just be a red card, simple. Making no attempt to play the ball isn’t part of football.

Allowing these things to happen encourages dull eye bleeding football.
    Last edited by HibsGW; 24-08-2022 at 09:09 AM.