hibs.net Messageboard

New ball circulation and speed of game

Obviously LJ has asked for more balls around the pitch, and for ball boys to circulate the ball quicker to the players.
    This makes a huge difference to the pace of the game, i just wish it was in place for the Morton game.
    The opposite can occur, if we want to waste time, retain some balls, and tell the ball boys to sit on their seats.
    It’s home advantage after all.

2. Log in to remove the advert

@hibs.net private member RMQ1967's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by HIBS NUTS View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Obviously LJ has asked for more balls around the pitch, and for ball boys to circulate the ball quicker to the players.
    This makes a huge difference to the pace of the game, i just wish it was in place for the Morton game.
    The opposite can occur, if we want to waste time, retain some balls, and tell the ball boys to sit on their seats.
    It’s home advantage after all.
    Another positive for me. Slowing it down often comes back to bite the teams doing the time wasting and so I'd keep getting the ball back into play quickly and be confident about our ability to hold onto the the ball.

@hibs.net private member Frazerbob's Avatar
    St Johnstone removed half the spare balls and bollboys when they were trying to bore us all to death the other week.

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by Frazerbob View Post
    St Johnstone removed half the spare balls and bollboys when they were trying to bore us all to death the other week.
    Same at Livi. There was a guy came out of the stand and told the ball boy behind the goal to roll his ball away under the office block in the corner

Definitely a good idea to speed up our throw ins as they have been painfully slow for years. But we need to sort out the problem with 2 balls on the park when the other ball is thrown back by supporters. Its happening a lot. Refs will just stop play and order a retake. Hopefully fans will get into the habit of throwing it to the ball boys and not onto the pitch.

Quote Originally Posted by DIXIHIBS View Post
    Definitely a good idea to speed up our throw ins as they have been painfully slow for years. But we need to sort out the problem with 2 balls on the park when the other ball is thrown back by supporters. Its happening a lot. Refs will just stop play and order a retake. Hopefully fans will get into the habit of throwing it to the ball boys and not onto the pitch.
    The ref doesn't need to stop play unless it is interfering with the game so shouldn't happen too often

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by SChibs View Post
    The ref doesn't need to stop play unless it is interfering with the game so shouldn't happen too often
    The ref should have stopped the game for two balls on the park against The Rangers. A Hibs player actually had to kick the ball out the way as he made his way to tackle his opponent. Shocking refereeing but I agree it shouldn't happen too often.

@hibs.net private member CapitalGreen's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by wookie70 View Post
    The ref should have stopped the game for two balls on the park against The Rangers. A Hibs player actually had to kick the ball out the way as he made his way to tackle his opponent. Shocking refereeing but I agree it shouldn't happen too often.
    He didn’t have to kick it out, he could have just left it and played to the whistle.

I heard a commentator in an EPL game at the weekend say that the ballboys', irrespective of the score, have to treat both teams the same. That only applies in England obviously

@hibs.net private member
    The Hibs ball boys have all had ‘training” for this season😎

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by wookie70 View Post
    Happily they changed the rule so that they only have to stop if the additional ball is interfering. They had to do something with the number of times fans held on to a ball then lobbed it back when play had restarted. Even players deliberately ensuring two balls were on the pitch to slow play down at times.

@hibs.net private member Hibernian Verse's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by houstonhibbee View Post
    I heard a commentator in an EPL game at the weekend say that the ballboys', irrespective of the score, have to treat both teams the same. That only applies in England obviously
    They will be told to...but they're hardly going to give the ball back to the opponent quickly.