hibs.net Messageboard

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    @hibs.net private member WhileTheChief..'s Avatar
    Better sacking a useless manager than sticking with one.

Not saying LJ is useless, but the club were absolutely correct in getting rid of the likes of Duffy, Calderwood, Butcher, Heckingbottom and Maloney.

If LJ gets similar results and performances he'll be out. If the results under him are more like those when Stubbs or Lennon were here, he'll be fine.

That's exactly how it should be, common sense really.

2. Log in to remove the advert

Quote Originally Posted by WhileTheChief.. View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Better sacking a useless manager than sticking with one.

Not saying LJ is useless, but the club were absolutely correct in getting rid of the likes of Duffy, Calderwood, Butcher, Heckingbottom and Maloney.

If LJ gets similar results and performances he'll be out. If the results under him are more like those when Stubbs or Lennon were here, he'll be fine.

That's exactly how it should be, common sense really.
    Common sense while remembering that Stubbs managed us in second tier and likewise for Lennon in his first year . Also , Maloney and now LJ are managers while club has committed to long term plan looking for sustained success in a few years`time rather than usual 3rd followed by years of mid table or worse . With LJ we`ve lost to Falkirk just as we did several times with Stubbs so okay there at least .

@hibs.net private member Libby Hibby's Avatar
    100 pager incoming

Nobody I know is talking about replacing the manager. Plenty talk on our bus pre and post match on Saturday just how lightweight and powder-puff our team is, with a slow and functional midfield.

There's a saying "it's players that get managers sacked". It's our total lack of quality beyond Marshall, Porteous, and Boyle that's got people rightly questioning our recruitment (again) and it's something that won't go away unless it's addressed urgently with the close of the window looming.

The club seem absolutely determined and unshakeable in their belief that the current squad is fine, and that any player recruited with the odd exception has to fit the mould of "promising" or "has a sell-on value". Ron Gordon in the last podcast for instance, thinks Jair is a "great signing"- really?

If that stubbornness prevails, then it'll do for Johnson just as it's done for his predecessors, and the buck can't keep getting passed to the manager, who can only work with the players he's got, or the ones he's allowed to sign.

@hibs.net private member blackpoolhibs's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by MWHIBBIES View Post
    He's already signed 2 strikers. On top of the three we already had that cost us nearly 1 million combined. He has to get more, much more, from the forwards he has.

Midfield and defender needed but he's been evaluating our squad since April. He clearly doesn't think we need them. Or the club are ****ing him over.
    We have signed 2 forwards, but neither can play up front on their own, and the way we are just firing balls up the park to them is why i said the spine of the team.

Doidge is finished, so if we continue to just launch the ball as we are doing now much more than previously, then we need a Doidge type player, obviously much better than this version.

Quote Originally Posted by Scotty Leither View Post
    Nobody I know is talking about replacing the manager. Plenty talk on our bus pre and post match on Saturday just how lightweight and powder-puff our team is, with a slow and functional midfield.

There's a saying "it's players that get managers sacked". It's our total lack of quality beyond Marshall, Porteous, and Boyle that's got people rightly questioning our recruitment (again) and it's something that won't go away unless it's addressed urgently with the close of the window looming.

The club seem absolutely determined and unshakeable in their belief that the current squad is fine, and that any player recruited with the odd exception has to fit the mould of "promising" or "has a sell-on value". Ron Gordon in the last podcast for instance, thinks Jair is a "great signing"- really?

If that stubbornness prevails, then it'll do for Johnson just as it's done for his predecessors, and the buck can't keep getting passed to the manager, who can only work with the players he's got, or the ones he's allowed to sign.
    Do you really think that the club ( whoever that means ) are satisfied with the squad or that RG thinks that Jair is a great signing now ( he may well have been persuaded by others who know more about the player that he could prove to be a great signing in the coming months or years ? Odd exception of signings now includes McGeady , Marshall and Boyle , signings which have probably prevented us signing several potentially very useful younger players eg Joaquin Sosa .

@hibs.net private member Pagan Hibernia's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by IberianHibernian View Post
    After we got rid of JR ( a decision I supported but thought should have been made in summer 2021 to let new manager time to settle in as LJ has ) I thought club policy was to promote devt team , signing young players with promise etc even if results were not great . I support that policy though as I said a few weeks ago here it`ll mean a bumpy road in next 2 or 3 years , bumpy maybe including a relegation in worst case . But to follow that plan , managers have to be given time . To me Maloney should have been given time . He was the first manager under the new plan and also had a terrible injury list . I think if he`d stayed , we`d probably be in a better state than now as he`d already started planning this season and we wouldn`t have wasted much - needed money on pay offs , new manager etc Anyway , for whatever reason club decided to make a change and we have to give LJ time to make a difference while remembering that our plan is looking for consistent success every year from 2 or 3 years`time not the odd 3rd place followed by dropping back to bottom six or worse ( like Hearts with 2 relegations within a few years ) . Fans of all clubs are not known for having patience and our fans are no different but club can`t make plans then not stick them out whatever some fans are saying . As for recruitment , all the folk who were celebrating return of Boyle last week were presumably doing so while accepting that it would limit signings in other positions ? The left sided defender from Uruguay in a position we need someone and with a potentially huge sell on value for example . Again , did club think Boyle signing was in long term interests or were they putting short term popularity with fans before long term develop young players plan ?
    so Jack Ross should have been punted immediately after getting us a 3rd place finish in the league, but Maloney should have been given time after winning two or three games in 4 months?

ok.

I don’t think I’ve got any issue with Johnson, I’m sure he’s a good manager.

He’s new to the league, will make mistakes and we need to be a bit patient (I thought he showed a lot of naivety on Saturday but improved us with his subs, tactical tweaks etc, so he looks capable of learning).

Tbh I feel a bit sorry for him and I don’t think any manager would do better with the squad of players he’s been given. A bit like Jack Ross, but not like Shaun Maloney.

If RG were to get trigger happy with Johnson then I think it would be the final straw for his credibility as an owner.

I could see myself getting properly on Ron and his son’s backs before I see myself getting on Johnson’s back, put it that way.

Do you really think that the club ( whoever that means ) are satisfied with the squad or that RG thinks that Jair is a great signing now ( he may well have been persuaded by others who know more about the player that he could prove to be a great signing in the coming months or years ? Odd exception of signings now includes McGeady , Marshall and Boyle , signings which have probably prevented us signing several potentially very useful younger players eg Joaquin Sosa .
    Ron was still maintaining (ridiculously) this summer that we had a good January window. There are certain things they are looking for and I don’t think there is any chance he’ll be anything less than satisfied with what they’ve done. If the results don’t come, we all know who will suffer for that.

Quote Originally Posted by Smartie View Post
    I don’t think I’ve got any issue with Johnson, I’m sure he’s a good manager.

He’s new to the league, will make mistakes and we need to be a bit patient (I thought he showed a lot of naivety on Saturday but improved us with his subs, tactical tweaks etc, so he looks capable of learning).

Tbh I feel a bit sorry for him and I don’t think any manager would do better with the squad of players he’s been given. A bit like Jack Ross, but not like Shaun Maloney.

If RG were to get trigger happy with Johnson then I think it would be the final straw for his credibility as an owner.

I could see myself getting properly on Ron and his son’s backs before I see myself getting on Johnson’s back, put it that way.
    I agree . If we want to attract decent managers , we can`t fire them after a few bad results . That is something that should take pressure off LJ if results continue to be disappointing . The departures of Ross and Maloney will not have made us look attractive for potential managers . Departures of both have already been widely debated here so I hope we can move on and not repeat debates .

Quote Originally Posted by B.H.F.C View Post
    Ron was still maintaining (ridiculously) this summer that we had a good January window. There are certain things they are looking for and I don’t think there is any chance he’ll be anything less than satisfied with what they’ve done. If the results don’t come, we all know who will suffer for that.
    By a good January window was he not saying that he thought players like Clarke , Mitchell and Bishuri were good signings ? I think most people would agree with him and also saw why we signed Jasper and even Mueller . And Melkersen and other devt team signings . Was our % of January signings who didn`t work out any worse if at all than other clubs signings ? Aware that we didn`t find great players for key positions where many thought we were weak but were good players available ? Despite a horrendous injury list , we were very close to 4th and a second cup final . This season I don`t think anyone at the club will be happy about the LC or league results but at the same time they won`t be slaughtering at least in public new players who`ve just arrived or players we`ve had for a while but have had fitness problems in last year .

@hibs.net private member Frazerbob's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by HIBS NUTS View Post
    It’s utterly ridiculous, we had a relatively successful but boring jack Ross sacked , we had a horrendous appointment of SM quite rightly sacked.
    But some fans posting, LJ has 16 days or 5 games to get it right, is madness.
    We have had a good win, a relatively good draw, and a bad defeat at a horrendous venue.
    Let’s give the guy some time, with relatively new players, to make an impact, instead of constantly asking to sack managers after every defeat.
    No fans wanted him sacked last friday.
    Whilst I totally agree it’s ridiculous to talk of getting rid of LJ, you seem to have forgotten the league cup debacle. That to me is a bigger issue than the defeat in Saturday

First Team Breakthrough
    Wonder if the board are thinking, they should have went for JDT🤔, after his fantastic start with his new team.

By a good January window was he not saying that he thought players like Clarke , Mitchell and Bishuri were good signings ? I think most people would agree with him and also saw why we signed Jasper and even Mueller . And Melkersen and other devt team signings . Was our % of January signings who didn`t work out any worse if at all than other clubs signings ? Aware that we didn`t find great players for key positions where many thought we were weak but were good players available ? Despite a horrendous injury list , we were very close to 4th and a second cup final . This season I don`t think anyone at the club will be happy about the LC or league results but at the same time they won`t be slaughtering at least in public new players who`ve just arrived or players we`ve had for a while but have had fitness problems in last year .
    Of all the players we signed in January, two of them started at the weekend. A number of them aren’t at the club now. And one of them is an injury prone player who is never out the treatment room (as has been common at his previous clubs). It was a disaster of a window and I really don’t think there can be any argument about that.

Now I don’t think much of Maloney, but he suffered for that. LJ will suffer the same if we don’t address the issues that were there in that window and remain to this day. I don’t doubt Ron will be unhappy with the results so far, but we continue to persist with the same ideas on the transfer front which indicates to me the club don’t see that policy as the problem.

I agree that he’s taken an unfairly large amount of flak for his positive comments about the January transfer window.

If we’re to criticise him, it should be for the abject summer window we had - on his watch - the summer before, which left us needing to address so much in January that it was almost impossible to succeed.

We were unlucky with injuries to some of the players and even the likes of Jasper weren’t disastrous (I’d have kept him fwiw).

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by HIBS NUTS View Post
    It’s utterly ridiculous, we had a relatively successful but boring jack Ross sacked , we had a horrendous appointment of SM quite rightly sacked.
    But some fans posting, LJ has 16 days or 5 games to get it right, is madness.
    We have had a good win, a relatively good draw, and a bad defeat at a horrendous venue.
    Let’s give the guy some time, with relatively new players, to make an impact, instead of constantly asking to sack managers after every defeat.
    No fans wanted him sacked last friday.
    The advent of social media allows voice to some who fail to engage the brain before venting their spleen. Also there's the possibility of trolling sad act jambos stirring things up for cheap thrills whenever Hibs have a bad week.

I'd be surprised if anyone shouting "Sack Him" right now did not come into one of these categories so shouldn't read too much into it at this stage.

Quote Originally Posted by basehibby View Post
    The advent of social media allows voice to some who fail to engage the brain before venting their spleen. Also there's the possibility of trolling sad act jambos stirring things up for cheap thrills whenever Hibs have a bad week.

I'd be surprised if anyone shouting "Sack Him" right now did not come into one of these categories so shouldn't read too much into it at this stage.
    Can you point to anyone saying sack him now?

We don’t know if Johnson is a good manager or not yet. I certainly don’t think he should be sacked.
    All I’m saying is that if he doesn’t fix midfield, he will go the same way the last couple of managers went.
    Maybe I’ll be wrong and we’ll start firing on all cylinders with Newell and Campbell the driving force behind it all. Maybe.
    I’m not saying sack him, I’m predicting that he will be sacked if he continues with this midfield. Only time will tell.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by hfcok View Post
    Wonder if the board are thinking, they should have went for JDT🤔, after his fantastic start with his new team.
    I think the fact JDH ended up at Blackburn is a sign we never had a chance in the first place.

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by Ozyhibby View Post

We don’t know if Johnson is a good manager or not yet. I certainly don’t think he should be sacked.
    All I’m saying is that if he doesn’t fix midfield, he will go the same way the last couple of managers went.
    Maybe I’ll be wrong and we’ll start firing on all cylinders with Newell and Campbell the driving force behind it all. Maybe.
    I’m not saying sack him, I’m predicting that he will be sacked if he continues with this midfield. Only time will tell.

I didn't say I could - was replying to the OP which alluded to such chat of sacking Johnson - which I agree would be ridiculous at this stage.

@hibs.net private member phoenixfire's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Ozyhibby View Post

Give it a rest for Pete's sake! We don't know if Johnson's a good manager or not yet! Guys done well at Oldham ,bristol city four years I think ! Beat man u in cup , had Sunderland maybe 2nd top before he left ! And I'm sure I read man city boss praised him for his style of attacking football ! Though you don't know if he's a good manager or not and you are predicting him sacked on top of this ! You been negative most of your posts about Johnson today ! Think Ron should employ you seeing as your such a manager expert!

Testimonial Due
    Gamer IDs

PSN ID: Jellzy
    Quote Originally Posted by Crunchie View Post
    We've been sacking managers willy nilly for as long as I can remember. We'll never learn.
    On the whole we sign players who aren't good enough for first team football also... Go figure. :D

Keep the manager
    Sack the players !

Quote Originally Posted by ClermistonGreen View Post
    Keep the manager
    Sack the players !
    For me it's simple. We're at the mercy of the recruitment team policy.

Quote Originally Posted by OldEast View Post
    We are. However, we haven't given the latest crop enough games or Johnson enough time working with them.

Some people a doubtful and post their doubts. Fair enough. Stating as fact that some players aren't good enough, that the recruitment team has failed, or that Johnson should be sacked, isn't really on. Not after three league games.

We have work to do. We need Johnson to get a tune out of some very talented but inexperienced players and quickly. But we need to give him the chance to do it.

Quote Originally Posted by Stubbsy90+2 View Post
    Jack Ross didn’t get punted immediately after getting us 3rd
    Jack Ross or Asos Ancellotti 🤣🤣.

Quote Originally Posted by basehibby View Post
    The advent of social media allows voice to some who fail to engage the brain before venting their spleen.

Also there's the possibility of trolling sad act jambos stirring things up for cheap thrills whenever Hibs have a bad week.

Agree with this assessment. I’ve yet to meet a supporter at the games or in the pub / Hibs club calling for the manager to be sacked. Everyone with a footballing brain understands that it’s going to take Lee a couple of transfer windows to reshape Hibs and start to bring through promising talent from the U23s.

For all the comparisons with Hearts, when I talk to my Jambo mates they remind me that in the years following our Scottish Cup win they were poor, suffered some bad defeats and eventually got relegated two years ago. But then they adopted fan ownership, transformed the football department and started a restructuring plan to get the club back on track.

That’s exactly what Ron, Ben and Lee are doing at our club. If Hearts fans can back their club when the going gets tough, why can’t we? All it takes is to accept that we need to toughen up and support our manager and players through a period of rebuild and not throw the baby out with the bath water every time we lose a game.

I do post on it, but the 'We need to talk about Lee' thread is hanging around like a big black cloud, that won't move until the club and Lee part ways, which is pretty negative.

Quote Originally Posted by OldEast View Post
    So is every manager in the modern game I’d suggest.
    We’ve had a lot of managers clearly not all bad ones either.
    We’ve got to let Lee Johnson assert his methods on his team and build from there,for it’s the same players in the side letting us down consistently,some players just not delivering for any gaffer in the dug out.

This summer is the biggest turnover we’ve had in a long while,we still need a few in but wether we get that or not remains to be seen.
    Some say a few need to go first,I’d suggest a few of our higher profile players need shipped out as it’s getting to a stale point with the same mistakes being made over again in a team that lacks the ability to win games.

@hibs.net private member
    Sacking Johnson already is surely not a serious suggestion by people. The recruitment team that have failed AGAIN to bring in a centre half, a good creative midfielder and a striker capable of scoring a goal are the ones to blame. And they're in place because of Ron Gordon, so as much as people hate hearing it, he's failed again in this window.

As long as the people who sign the players keep bringing in dross and not addressing the positions we need, then no manager will be able to succeed here.

Quote Originally Posted by The Spaceman View Post
    That and a lot of fans are thick.
    Haha dreadful comment, the fans are increasingly uneasy because it's as clear as the nose on your face that our transfer policy is hurting us, again.

The Ian Gordon situation is odd, is there any comparison in the modern world of football of such clear nepotism? (Roman Romanov aside)

The guy is clearly never the best man for the position he finds himself in - judging by how ruthless RG has been with management teams, his son is seemingly teflon.

I worry that we'll continue to flounder until this is properly addressed.