hibs.net Messageboard

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Scott Allan

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by Sioux View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    It doesn't tell you that Scott Allan is the answer.
    Of course it doesn’t. It would be impossible to say whether he would be the answer or whether he wouldn’t be.

2. Log in to remove the advert

@hibs.net private member LaMotta's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by SlickShoes View Post
    Someone else mentioned the cost of player insurance being something that will put teams off as well, its a complicated situation and if he is still fit and able to play you'd hope the governing body or players union if that's a thing could help him out in some way.
    Good point re insurance agree with all that mate.

Loved watching SA playing. A talented laddie who was able to produce wee moments of magic that were beyond most in this league.
    I kept hoping that he would be able to get back to even close to full fitness. The performances against Dundee Utd and St Johnstone away (when he undoubtedly made the difference) gave me real hope that he was on the way back.
    Like many on here I was a bit mystified as to why he wasn’t getting a gradual increase in game time when he could still be a match winner.
    However, there were 3 occasions (under JR I think) in a short period of time, all at home when he came on for the last 20 mins or so. Against celtc, hawrts (iirc) and I can’t recall who the other was. In all 3 games he was only on a few minutes, against players who had been on the park the whole game. And in all 3 games he did exactly the same thing.
    He has never been particularly known as a grafter or a ball winner but on all 3 occasions his opponent had a half yard start on Scotty, but instead of chasing his opponent down (which he would have done under normal circumstances) he instead had a wee fly kick/trip at the player instead.
    Considering that he was ‘fresher’ than the other player, I don’t believe it was lack of desire or a poor attitude, he just seemed unable, or at least did not trust himself to be able, to hunt the ball down.
    At that point I realised that this is what the coaches can see on a daily basis and that sadly his health/lack of fitness meant that his ability to play at a meaningful level had gone.
    We are never likely to be such a dominant team that we can afford to play a luxury player who makes a couple of good passes each game but is totally unable to do basic running.

After witnessing that I reluctantly understood that his time with Hibs was over.
    No matter how hard you wish for something to be different it doesn’t mean it will be.
    Unless there is a major medical breakthrough I don’t believe he will be able to to make a meaningful contribution to any professional club. Especially when you also factor in other aspects that some have touched on, insurance costs and the general fear that he could has a serious ‘incident’ while playing.

As hard as it may be to come to terms with, I think Scott should start looking at what he wants to do with the next chapter in his life. Whatever it may be I wish him all the luck in the world and thank him for the skill, excitement, and entertainment that he provided.

Quote Originally Posted by Stubbsy90+2 View Post
    Joe Newell had 3 assists and 1 goal in all competitions last season over 3102 minutes on the pitch. A goal involvement every 775 mins.

Allan had 5 assists and 1 goal in all competitions over 688 minutes on the pitch. A goal involvement every 114 mins.

Henderson had 1 assist and 1 goal in all competitions over 1097 minutes on the pitch. A goal involvement every 549 mins.

JDH had 2 goals in all competitions over 3539 minutes on the pitch. A goal involvement every 1769 minutes.

They all played in the exact same team under the exact same managers. Obviously they’re different types of players (although Henderson is pretty similar style wise), but Allan’s output attacking wise, whilst limited in terms of sample size, was probably one of the highest in the country, never mind just at Hibs. Yet we’re sitting here with players who offer next to nothing going forward flooding our midfield and wondering why we’re struggling.

Allan had a tremendous output last season for the amount of minutes he got and we were absolutely crying out for someone like him. We still are.
    good post for his time on the pitch of course he will assist more but like he said himself he needs 5/6 games run to get the best out of him and he was never given that last season for whatever managers reasoning i for one think hes had a rough deal after all his hard work who could hands on heart say if he would have played the minutes that some of the others got last year Hibs would have been worse off? wish he was back and given a chance quality player all the best scotty thanks for the memorys

@hibs.net private member CapitalGreen's Avatar
    The same arguments being put forward by the same folk who were saying signing Leigh Griffiths would be no brainier last season. I remember a poster who has since been launched by the name of calumhibee1 who spent all last summer posting LG’s 20/21 goal contribution stats and arguing with anyone who suggested he wouldn’t be a good signing.

@hibs.net private member Pagan Hibernia's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Diclonius View Post
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/62543432

Written an article for the BBC. Still actively looking for a club but worried people aren't taking a chance because of his heart condition.
    it’s a bit heartbreaking, that piece

Quote Originally Posted by Stubbsy90+2 View Post
    Of course it doesn’t. It would be impossible to say whether he would be the answer or whether he wouldn’t be.
    So why is that "he should really still be here" ??

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by Sioux View Post
    So why is that "he should really still be here" ??
    Because when he was on the pitch last season he showed he still had plenty to give. He should have had a lot more game time last season and judging by what he produced when he did get a chance, if he did get more game time he’d have probably finished the season with more assists/goals than pretty much any other player in our squad.

We’re not talking about a guy who offered something 3 or 4 years ago. He offered something last season at a very impressive frequency when he was on the pitch.

For some reason though, people seem to think attacking players who aren’t very good at defending can’t play in a midfield and are like being a man down yet they happily sit there and watch defensive players who aren’t very good at attacking every week and never bat an eyelid.
    Last edited by Stubbsy90+2; 16-08-2022 at 06:50 AM.

Football Scotland are now running this. Are they run by hearts/rangers fa.s as that seems to be the majority of the content and only positive spin stories

Sad that 2 of the 3 of one of the best midfields in Scotland in the last decade are currently without clubs

Obviously there are reasons for it but McGeouch, Allan and McGinn were a joy to watch individually and as a trio. That run of form in the 2nd half of the 17/18 and the performances that went with it are up there as the best I have ever seen from Hibs. If Lennon had held his nerve at Tynecastle it would have got the league position it deserved.

I can't believe no one is willing to take a chance on Allan. I know he is a bit of a luxury even at his best but he makes things happen.
    PM Awards General Poster of The Year 2015, 2016, 2017. Probably robbed in other years

@hibs.net private member Jones28's Avatar
    Loved scotty at Hibs, and while I wasn’t open to offering him a new contract I think that could have been a mistake. He’s a proper game changer when things go his way. His shimmy and run for one of the goals at mcdiarmid park last season was sublime.
    "...when Hibs won the Scottish Cup final and that celebration, Sunshine on Leith? I don’t think there’s a better football celebration ever in the game.”

Sir Alex Ferguson

@hibs.net private member Frazerbob's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by LaMotta View Post
    An often repeated myth that 3 managers didnt pick him. Jack Ross used him frequently.

As for teams not being willing to give him a contract - i think the main thing it tells us is that clubs are understandably wary of commiting to signing a player for a long period of time that has a heart condition.
    Scotty tells us that he has no medical issues the will affect his performances tho. Surely anyone interested would have his ‘condition’ checked out.

You didn’t answer my point about neither ICT or Dundee being interested. Scotty spent time at both clubs recently and would surely be the type of of club we’d expect to snap him up.

@hibs.net private member LaMotta's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Frazerbob View Post
    Scotty tells us that he has no medical issues the will affect his performances tho. Surely anyone interested would have his ‘condition’ checked out.

You didn’t answer my point about neither ICT or Dundee being interested. Scotty spent time at both clubs recently and would surely be the type of of club we’d expect to snap him up.
    Well how can any of us answer such a specfic point about those 2 clubs?

What is the current make up of their squad? What type of players are they short of? Do they have the budget to sign him? Is he the type of character that will get on with their manager?

So him potentially signing for those 2 clubs is pure speculation. Even if the managers did want to though, are their chairmen willing to take a risk on him given his condition?
    Last edited by LaMotta; 15-08-2022 at 11:52 PM.

Plenty clubs will sign him but he will need to lower his wage request. Queens Park will sign him if he does.

@hibs.net private member JimBHibees's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Brightside View Post
    Plenty clubs will sign him but he will need to lower his wage request. Queens Park will sign him if he does.
    Yep pretty sure he will get sorted. Wouldn't surprise if some team like Thistle picked him up though having Ian McCall as a manager may be a challenge for some.

The likes of killie, Ross county and Motherwell could do well to take on a player like scotty, as he says needs games.

His passing alone opens doors for teams,the match fitness would come with a good run in a team with patience for helping him achieve that.

Probably been posted in the transfer thread but good luck if he moves to Arbroath.

Can’t really imagine Allan in a Dick Campbell team.

Saying that he might flourish having so many players around him doing the dirty work.

Quote Originally Posted by Unseen work View Post
    Can’t really imagine Allan in a Dick Campbell team.

Saying that he might flourish having so many players around him doing the dirty work.
    I'm not sure. Dick has always liked a creative type in his team. Not one at the level of Allan right enough.

He'll have 10 other guys to run through walls for him. Being told to go out and just play might be what Scotty needs.
    PM Awards General Poster of The Year 2015, 2016, 2017. Probably robbed in other years

Quote Originally Posted by Tambo View Post
    Probably been posted in the transfer thread but good luck if he moves to Arbroath.
    https://twitter.com/ArbroathFC/statu...r1Wy0A_kQ&s=19

Wish him all the best, hope he can make the move a success.

Quote Originally Posted by Sir David Gray View Post

Me too. Manky colour like, but hopefully he gets his love of the game back and can show his talent. Love him

Sent from my SM-G991B using Tapatalk

@hibs.net private member Billy Whizz's Avatar

He better be fit to play for Arbroath, they are all Campbell’s warriors

Best of luck to him, I hope he does well.

People were quick to bash the club for releasing him but this move probably shows where his overall health and fitness is at when he’s going to the team bottom of the championship on a 2 year deal. I think the idea he could play top flight football is now proving to be a bit of a long shot.

What a signing

If they’ve got a bit of mobility up front and plenty of players to help Allan by doing his running for him, this could be one of the signings of the season.

How many tight games are there in that league that are crying out for the kind of contribution that few in the country can provide better than Scott Allan?

I reluctantly accepted the conclusion that it was time for him to move on from Hibs but I’d love to see him succeed elsewhere.

@hibs.net private member Carheenlea's Avatar
    Health issues or not, if Scott Allan was a 6’2 no-nonsense bruiser then there would likely have been a good few clubs in the top flight who would happily have taken him on.

Ghastly f******g color of shirt but still wish him all the very best.

@hibs.net private member Stuarty1875's Avatar
    Best of luck Scotty

Think he'd be great in the middle with Omeonga 😉 In all seriousness good luck to him. Wish him all the best.

The King of the reverse pass. Wonderful player, real shame that his health curtailed/so heavily impacted his time with us. The type of player that, on his day, Scotland produces once a decade at best.