hibs.net Messageboard

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Bojang

Bojang

I'm doubling down on my new found happy clappy outlook after spending most of last season in a rage!

Seen some stick for Bojang on some other threads so sticking my oar in - I like this kid. That's not to say he'll make it here or he won't, he is very raw and is the epitome of a punt and has it all to prove.

His miss at the end of the Livi game was awful. To miss target on that chance at that stage in the game was criminal. Still - when he was coming on with minutes to go my gut was telling me he would get a chance. He has great movement and real pace. He gets himself in good positions and is very direct. Along with that though he looks miles away from being ready for being 1st choice starting striker. It's my gut feeling only, there's not really been any time to form judgement either way, probably won't be for half a season. In this short time though I like the initial impression of him (woeful miss yesterday not helping matters but can see past it)

Still need an experienced striker playing through the middle, Doidge sadly not cutting it and I really like the big man

2. Log in to remove the advert

@hibs.net private member bingo70's Avatar
    Completely agree.

It was always said the time to worry about strikers is when they’re not getting opportunities, not when they’re missing them.

Terrible miss yesterday but better strikers than him have missed worse chances than that.

He should be starting games if hes any good. We cannot ever play with that front 3 again. Infact, I really just do not think 433 works in Scottish football, not without really good players. 2 strikers, get in forward as much as possible. Bojang and Youan up front next week. Boyle wide left, Cadden wide right.

@hibs.net private member Bostonhibby's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by bingo70 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Completely agree.

It was always said the time to worry about strikers is when they’re not getting opportunities, not when they’re missing them.

Terrible miss yesterday but better strikers than him have missed worse chances than that.
    Yep, same here, no problem giving the guy a try in the current situation.

Sent from my SM-A750FN using Tapatalk

"I did not need any persuasion to play for such a great club, the Hibs result is still one of the first I look for"

Sir Matt Busby

Having only seen the chance on Sportscene I don't think it was that bad a miss. The ball was slightly behind him as he was travelling forward so it wasn't that easy to hook his foot round it to direct it back round. Definitely could have done better but it wasn't wasn't sitter either

@hibs.net private member JohnM1875's Avatar
    Gamer IDs

PSN ID: johnmac1875
    Quote Originally Posted by SChibs View Post
    Having only seen the chance on Sportscene I don't think it was that bad a miss. The ball was slightly behind him as he was travelling forward so it wasn't that easy to hook his foot round it to direct it back round. Definitely could have done better but it wasn't wasn't sitter either
    Actually think the same. Slaughtered him at the time but seeing it back it really isn't anywhere near as bad as I first thought.

@hibs.net private member
    Definitely looked a lot worse at the time

@hibs.net private member
    Would have him on the pitch before Doidge that’s for sure.

He'll only improve by getting games. Right now offers more than Doidge. Melkersen isn't impressing me either to be honest.

Quote Originally Posted by JohnM1875 View Post
    Actually think the same. Slaughtered him at the time but seeing it back it really isn't anywhere near as bad as I first thought.
    Same here. He’s as raw as Sproule was when he arrived. It took him a fair while to settle in and that was just moving a couple hunner miles from NI. Not changing continents.

Quote Originally Posted by MWHIBBIES View Post
    He should be starting games if hes any good. We cannot ever play with that front 3 again. Infact, I really just do not think 433 works in Scottish football, not without really good players. 2 strikers, get in forward as much as possible. Bojang and Youan up front next week. Boyle wide left, Cadden wide right.
    Agreed. Most SPFL teams don’t have the players to play 433. We need a partnership up top. Too easy to defend against one man through the middle.

@hibs.net private member
    Agreed

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by Trinity Hibee View Post
    Agreed. Most SPFL teams don’t have the players to play 433. We need a partnership up top. Too easy to defend against one man through the middle.
    Correct, our 4/3/3 is more like 4/5/1 most of the time with our 9 well isolated.

If he was young Hamilton or OConnor coming on he would be cut a lot more slack. The Livi defence was also close in attendance.

I’d have to see a lot more of the laddie before I cast judgement

Nobody that’s any good plays with 2 strikers anymore. A front 3 that involves Boyle and Youan is a good starting point and it’s down to Johnson to come up with a third player that complements them.

The obvious comparisons for "inexperienced, very quick but raw" when they joined us are Ivan Sproule and Martin Boyle.

Maybe my memory isn't all that but whilst you'd maybe make the argument that both Boyle and Sproule were raw, they actually improved very quickly with us and I never felt they looked particularly out of place. By the time they both left, they were very good players indeed with much more by way of game awareness, touch and skill to go with the pace.

Bojang looks the rawest of the 3 to me, a bit like when Usain Bolt plays in charity games and thinks he's going to become a professional footballer. IMO the sheer bonkersness of him (I don't think he knows what he's going to do next) will make him a nightmare to play against and his pace is blinding.

He looks like with the right coaching etc he could be a cracking player in 2-3 years. But is he ready now? No, not for me, not even close to it.

I'd probably keep him for his loan year, see how he develops training every day, playing for the development and getting the odd cameo in the first team. I'd activate any clause that lets us buy him permanently. Next season he should go out on loan somewhere where he'll play every week, probably the Championship.

After that he might be ready to play for us regularly.

Definitely looks like he has something about him though.

Testimonial Due
    Out of all the new signings I’m more worried about Jair Tavares.

Give the number 10 jersey back to Boyle as this lad doesn’t look ready for the football here atm. Not to say he won’t be alright but worried I get mueller vibes from him.

Quote Originally Posted by RossScott1991 View Post
    Out of all the new signings I’m more worried about Jair Tavares.

Give the number 10 jersey back to Boyle as this lad doesn’t look ready for the football here atm. Not to say he won’t be alright but worried I get mueller vibes from him.
    Agree. I think he'll be out the side as soon as Boyle is fit enough to play 90 minutes.

Quote Originally Posted by davhibby View Post
    Nobody that’s any good plays with 2 strikers anymore. A front 3 that involves Boyle and Youan is a good starting point and it’s down to Johnson to come up with a third player that complements them.
    I totally agree. No one thats any good plays with 2 strikers. We're certainly not any good. We're hopeless and 433 isn't working.

Youan wasn't close to troubling their 2 centre backs yesterday, he'll get flung about like an empty tracksuit next week by Rangers. He is not looking like hes going to offer anything as a lone striker.

It was a sitter but my anger doesn’t sit with him

I said the same after the St Johnstone game. We just look a bit toothless going forward. That 433 with 2 wide, 1 through the middle and a midfielder in behind looks great when you have guys like Salah, De Bruyne or Jesus playing it, less so when you try to ape it with raw young boys like Henderson, Tavares and Melkerson. If we could add a really good striker and get Boyle and Youan as the wide 2 then it might look better. As it stands we don't have that striker though and at this stage Bojang is most definitely not the answer.

It's a huge issue among our attacking options, at least 3 of them look a fair bit away from being ready for regular 1st team football. We are relying on Nisbet and Magennis being back soon and being able to hit the ground running when they are back. I'm not sure either of those things is particularly likely.

That being the case I think changing it up, simplifying it and getting 2 up top might be the way to go in the short term. Pragmatism has bought plenty managers time through the years. There's a post above that says teams that are good don't play 2 up top, a fair point but at this time as an attacking unit we don't fall into the 'any good' category so time to change it up.

Quote Originally Posted by JohnM1875 View Post
    Same here. He’s as raw as Sproule was when he arrived. It took him a fair while to settle in and that was just moving a couple hunner miles from NI. Not changing continents.

Gamer IDs

Gamertag: SAKSxCORE PSN ID: SlickShoes
    Quote Originally Posted by Smartie View Post
    The obvious comparisons for "inexperienced, very quick but raw" when they joined us are Ivan Sproule and Martin Boyle.

Maybe my memory isn't all that but whilst you'd maybe make the argument that both Boyle and Sproule were raw, they actually improved very quickly with us and I never felt they looked particularly out of place. By the time they both left, they were very good players indeed with much more by way of game awareness, touch and skill to go with the pace.

Bojang looks the rawest of the 3 to me, a bit like when Usain Bolt plays in charity games and thinks he's going to become a professional footballer. IMO the sheer bonkersness of him (I don't think he knows what he's going to do next) will make him a nightmare to play against and his pace is blinding.

He looks like with the right coaching etc he could be a cracking player in 2-3 years. But is he ready now? No, not for me, not even close to it.

I'd probably keep him for his loan year, see how he develops training every day, playing for the development and getting the odd cameo in the first team. I'd activate any clause that lets us buy him permanently. Next season he should go out on loan somewhere where he'll play every week, probably the Championship.

Extremely harsh comparing him to someone who isn't even a footballer. Don't really think there is any need for that.

He got in a better position to score in 2 minutes than Doidge managed in every minute since the Clyde game.

@hibs.net private member Libby Hibby's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Smartie View Post

Usain Bolt 😂😂😂😂

@hibs.net private member
    All of our available forward line look extremely raw (except Boyle) which is a worry.

Quote Originally Posted by HendoDelivered View Post
    All of our available forward line look extremely raw (except Boyle) which is a worry.
    It’s a worry for those expecting results in August and September. If they were still raw at Christmas I’d be a lot more worried

Quote Originally Posted by Unseen work View Post
    It was a sitter but my anger doesn’t sit with him
    It was a good chance not a sitter, the ball was bobbling on that atrocious pitch and the defender and keeper were in front of him, hardly an open goal

@hibs.net private member cameronw-hfc's Avatar
    As others have said, he's missing chances in the small times he's been on. Rounded the keeper at Bonnyrigg and had it cleared off the line, missed yesterday in a short time on.

I'd much rather he was missing chances rather than not getting any, he'll put them away eventually. If he wasn't even getting into the right positions for them id be more worried, but he is and it'll come in time.

@hibs.net private member BoltonHibee's Avatar
    Agree with this. The problem isn’t the distance he missed from, where the ball was made it pretty difficult to connect and score

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'd probably start him through the middle with Boyle and youan either side If I'm honest. Certainly should be on before Doidge now.