hibs.net Messageboard

Page 5 of 19 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast

Thread: Midfield

@hibs.net private member The Modfather's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by MWHIBBIES View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Yeah absolutely. More than happy to admit I'm wrong if someone can put up a good argument.
    Like Doidge?

2. Log in to remove the advert

Quote Originally Posted by The Modfather View Post
    Like Doidge?
    Yes, absolutely. I thought he'd find his form and get back to the good player he was. Sadly not happened for us.

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by Brightside View Post
    Midfield is ok tbh. As long as he plays them as a 6 8 10 and not some crazy two number 8s formation. It will also be much better when we have mcgennis and McGeady available.
    I think it needs to be played as a 6, 8 and 10 but I just don’t think we’ve got the players to fit into that.

Kenneh and JDH are 6s, Henderson is a 10 but I don’t think he’s at the standard required and Newell is probably an 8 if you had to put him anywhere but he’s nowhere near box to box like an 8 should be.

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by Brightside View Post
    Midfield is ok tbh. As long as he plays them as a 6 8 10 and not some crazy two number 8s formation. It will also be much better when we have mcgennis and McGeady available.
    I think that is a very optimistic assessment. We have no idea when Magennis will be back, how he will perform under our new manager, if he'll break down again, have lost some pace etc. And McGeady has been a winger almost his entire career and when he played for us at the start of the season didn't seem to be taking up a CM spot. And he's 36.

I feel better about our striking options and glad to have some cover at the back but totally baffled that we started last week with Campbell, JDH and Newell and have not made any additions to this area of the pitch.

Quote Originally Posted by Greenbeard View Post
    Well he WAS what we needed at the time and it wasn't long before he was one of the first names on the team sheet. Then he regressed into a huddie.
    Aye we needed someone with some steel to stop teams walking through the Midfield.

Forgot that Joe Newell done all the work though.

@hibs.net private member LaMotta's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Stubbsy90+2 View Post
    I think it needs to be played as a 6, 8 and 10 but I just don’t think we’ve got the players to fit into that.

Kenneh and JDH are 6s, Henderson is a 10 but I don’t think he’s at the standard required and Newell is probably an 8 if you had to put him anywhere but he’s nowhere near box to box like an 8 should be.
    This is the way it has been but I actually think Newell would be better as a 6 and JDH as a 10. Newell's best games for us are when we get an early need and he helps keep the ball slow the game down and can tackle as well. His final third play lets him down.

JDH has a decent bit of creativity I think and can shoot. We just rarely see him in the final third.

Quote Originally Posted by LaMotta View Post
    This is the way it has been but I actually think Newell would be better as a 6 and JDH as a 10. Newell's best games for us are when we get an early need and he helps keep the ball slow the game down and can tackle as well. His final third play lets him down.

JDH has a decent bit of creativity I think and can shoot. We just rarely see him in the final third.
    Newell would be fine to bring on as a sub when we’re looking to close out a game. Or against the Old Firm, and to a lesser extent Hearts and Aberdeen, where we’re playing not to lose rather than actively go for the win. In games against the rest where we need to proactively go and win the game he’s more of a hinderance than a help IMO.
    Last edited by The Modfather; 03-09-2022 at 08:46 AM.

@hibs.net private member LaMotta's Avatar
    Newell would be fine to bring on as a sub when we’re looking to close out a game. Or against the Old Firm, and to a lesser extent Hearts and Aberdeen, where we’re playing not to lost rather than actively go for the win. In games against the rest where we need to proactively go and win the game he’s more of a hinderance than a help IMO.

Yeah absolutely. More than happy to admit I'm wrong if someone can put up a good argument.
    Or alternatively call them sad for remembering such nonsense, tell them to cut the personal stuff, and claim to be right anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by WeeRussell View Post
    Or alternatively call them sad for remembering such nonsense, tell them to cut the personal stuff, and claim to be right anyway.
    Not at all. Those aren't personal comments, they are purely related to the topics of this forum. Really isn't difficult to understand. I'll happily discuss anything Hibs or football related. When folk start name-calling because they cant handle that, or don't like being disagreed with, it becomes a farce. It is not me who starts that stuff.

Its funny folk seem to think I always claim to be right. It really isn't the case. I have admitted to being wrong many times on here without needing to get personal or abusive. That can be seen in this thread already. Strange how the ones making the personal comments rarely get abuse grief from other posters. I think you get away with a lot on here by simply agreeing with the herd mentality that forms when we're struggling. It becomes an echo chamber and anyone disagreeing gets abuse. Evident recently when I point out the failings or other, more liked, players instead of joining in the ''Joe Newell is the root of all evil'' circle jerk.

Some of the hysterics, abuse for our players and every thread getting spammed with the same crap has become ridiculous on here, and its not my doing. I personally don't see much harm in calling that out. ''If we don't sort x or y then Lee johnson will be sacked'' patter is just ****ing boring. When did supporting the team and manager and trusting their judgement, at least till they've had some time to get their ideas across, become to difficult?

Not at all. Those aren't personal comments, they are purely related to the topics of this forum. Really isn't difficult to understand. I'll happily discuss anything Hibs or football related. When folk start name-calling because they cant handle that, or don't like being disagreed with, it becomes a farce. It is not me who starts that stuff.

Its funny folk seem to think I always claim to be right. It really isn't the case. I have admitted to being wrong many times on here without needing to get personal or abusive. That can be seen in this thread already. Strange how the ones making the personal comments rarely get abuse grief from other posters. I think you get away with a lot on here by simply agreeing with the herd mentality that forms when we're struggling. It becomes an echo chamber and anyone disagreeing gets abuse. Evident recently when I point out the failings or other, more liked, players instead of joining in the ''Joe Newell is the root of all evil'' circle jerk.

Some of the hysterics, abuse for our players and every thread getting spammed with the same crap has become ridiculous on here, and its not my doing. I personally don't see much harm in calling that out. ''If we don't sort x or y then Lee johnson will be sacked'' patter is just ****ing boring. When did supporting the team and manager and trusting their judgement, at least till they've had some time to get their ideas across, become to difficult?
    Okay, don’t really want locked into one of these on a Saturday morning but at least I wholeheartedly agree with the second half of your post (if irrelevant) so shouldn’t take too long.

You’ve got solid form for accusing people of being “personal” if they call you out on your posting style/history or tell you that you don’t know what you’re talking about. I guess that’s why I found it “difficult to understand” your alluding to something Oz repeatedly said years ago, and advising he should be ignored.

But as long as it’s fair - I.e your reputation for always being right. You assured us that Martin Boyle was absolutely going nowhere, when I asked you if you were wrong as he left, apparently circumstances changed dramatically so you weren’t really wrong. Perhaps the same when he definitely wasn’t coming back?

Anyway don’t want to turn it into a petty battle, that was simply my point.

Genuine question relating to you now admitting being wrong about Doidge - do you think Shankland is a better striker now too? And would you admit that saying someone is a better player because they scored more goals in one game is a silly argument?

Nae hard feelings 👍
    Last edited by WeeRussell; 03-09-2022 at 09:30 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by WeeRussell View Post
    Okay, don’t really want locked into one of these on a Saturday morning but at least I wholeheartedly agree with the second half of your post (if irrelevant) so shouldn’t take too long.

You’ve got solid form for accusing people of being “personal” if they call you out on your posting style/history or tell you that you don’t know what you’re talking about. I guess that’s why I found it “difficult to understand” your alluding to something Oz repeatedly said years ago, and advising he should be ignored.

But as long as it’s fair - I.e your reputation for always being right. You assured us that Martin Boyle was absolutely going nowhere, when I asked you if you were wrong as he left, apparently circumstances changed dramatically so you weren’t really wrong. Perhaps the same when he definitely wasn’t coming back?

Anyway don’t want to turn it into a petty battle, that was simply my point.

Genuine question relating to you now admitting being wrong about Doidge - do you think Shankland is a better striker now too? And would you admit that saying someone is a better player because they scored more goals in one game is a silly argument?

Nae hard feelings 👍
    Can I ask what you base your opinions on?

I base mine purely on the knowledge I have at the time, nothing less, nothing more. I don't base them on pure speculation. When I made those statements about Boyle, there was absolutely nothing concrete about him going anywhere that was public knowledge. When that changed, I changed my opinion.

If Doidge can get back to his form from before his injury, he is a better player than Shankland. If his form has genuinely gone and this is him, obviously Shankland is better.

Doidge always done well against Dundee United. Goal in the semi, winner at Tannadice, 4 goals in the 2 cup ties. To anyone with functioning eyes, he was the better player then.

I have no problem with Ozy the person. His posting, though, is absolutely tiresome. Like posting at half time in the derby saying Johnson should be sacked etc. Its insane. If I posted half that crap, I'd get dogs abuse.

In a Hibs context the midfield is not as bad as it is made out to be, the trio of Newell, Doyle-Hayes and Magennis served us well, Campbell in his versatility reminds me of Ian Murray, if I do have a gripe it is with our inability to balance up on the left what we do well on the right, we've tried to plug this gap with McGeady and Mitchell unfortunately they are out injured, maybe Youan or McKirdy might be the short term answer.

His partner Joe done all the hard work.

I've argued many a time about Gogic being underrated and you rubbished him, and posted a link to stats that was no where as bad as you made out him to be. He closed down opposition midfielders and covered defensively things these stats never showed. Our midfield has missed someone like him, and he was part of the regulars in the team that finished 3rd.

Quote Originally Posted by gaz1875 View Post

I've argued many a time about Gogic being underrated and you rubbished him, and posted a link to stats that was no where as bad as you made out him to be. He closed down opposition midfielders and covered defensively things these stats never showed. Our midfield has missed someone like him, and he was part of the regulars in the team that finished 3rd.
    I've never posted saying he was rubbish. Actually liked him a lot in the start. He just could not pass the ball more than 5 yards. A huge issue for a side with any ambition.

So after todays game I think Kenneh looked ok playing the DM role with good energy and won the ball back.

Newell had one of his best games in a long time and should look to build on that.

Campbell very quiet for me.

Kenneh
    Newell
    ??

Could be our best mix of players.

Gamer IDs

PSN ID: hibee_easty
    Quote Originally Posted by Tambo View Post
    So after todays game I think Kenneh looked ok playing the DM role with good energy and won the ball back.

Newell had one of his best games in a long time and should look to build on that.

Campbell very quiet for me.

Kenneh
    Newell
    ??

Could be our best mix of players.
    It should be Kenneh, Newell and a creative attacking midfielder to sit just behind the striker. We should've signed one.

First Team Regular OstKurve Hibs's Avatar
    Thoughtbkenneh was ok today, he drifted out of position a few times, porto had a go at him at one point cos he was basically playin centre back wi him n hanlon.
    Hope porto starts passin the ball properly soon to, he a great passer of the ball naturally, needs t cut put these big looping passes wi millions of top spin all the time, pick your moments.

Left by mutual consent!
    Quote Originally Posted by easty View Post
    It should be Kenneh, Newell and a creative attacking midfielder to sit just behind the striker. We should've signed one.
    Magennis will slot into that role comfortably when he's back. Praying he continues where he left off and can stay fit. Perhaps Mykolo can play there and that's why he was brought in?

@hibs.net private member Callum_62's Avatar
    Gamer IDs

Wii Code: 0083-4364-6418-4974
    Still no as good as the Scott Allan Dylan Tait partnership

Sent from my VOG-L29 using Tapatalk

Gamer IDs

PSN ID: hibee_easty
    Quote Originally Posted by JamesHFC View Post
    Magennis will slot into that role comfortably when he's back. Praying he continues where he left off and can stay fit. Perhaps Mykolo can play there and that's why he was brought in?
    I'd absolutely love to have Magennis back and into the team, playing like he did at the start of last season, it'd make a huge difference to us. I just dinnae see it happening.

@hibs.net private member CapitalGreen's Avatar
    Too small sample size at the moment but so far we have conceded:

1 goal every 67 minutes Kenneh has been off the pitch (334 mins)
    1 goal every 142 minutes Kenneh has been on the pitch (566 mins)

It will be interesting to see how those numbers move over the season.

@hibs.net private member CapitalGreen's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Callum_62 View Post
    Still no as good as the Scott Allan Dylan Tait partnership

Sent from my VOG-L29 using Tapatalk
    Dylan Tait looked very impressive and is going to be a great loan signing - he played really well.
    Review of Arbroath’s new signings on Pie and Bovril.

https://www.pieandbovril.com/forum/i...mment=15438838

Thought all three of our midfield had good moments today, but feel that we needed a couple of reliable midfielders to change things up. It was clear that Campbell, who was excellent today, was struggling so rightly substituted. It was also clear Newell was similarly off the pace towards the end of the game, needed to be substituted, but we didn't have anyone to put on.

That said, Newell was very good today.

@hibs.net private member Leith Green's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by easty View Post
    I'd absolutely love to have Magennis back and into the team, playing like he did at the start of last season, it'd make a huge difference to us. I just dinnae see it happening.

If we can get kennah , newell , and macgennis playing together regularly then we could have a good quality and well balanced midfield. Youan on the left boyle obviously on the right and mckirdy centrally with nisbett and mcgeady still to throw into the mix. Hopefully in a few months time we will be in full flow 😁

That's another thread regarding the midfield that can be added to the list, albeit yesterday's was generally a lot more positive than the rest.

Like I have mentioned on various occasions, as proven yesterday, Campbell, Newell, JDH and Kenneh are all good players. Sometimes what they do is very good, sometimes less so. Like yesterday, the quality of their play can be quite erratic during a game.

Yesterday, IMO the midfield was bypassed for much of the 1st half. Very little of our good play came through the midfield and we seemed to focus on balls clipped down to the front three, some of which was effective. The sending off, the more space available and a rubbish Aberdeen team all contributed to our midfield having more of an effect on the game.

As a unit and as individuals, they are certainly improving. Campbell and Newell ended up having fantastic games. But my concern is that we're not creative enough against the teams that sit in. One creative midfielder could make all the difference; let's hope that Magennis returns to the team and is that player.

Quote Originally Posted by theonlywayisup View Post
    To be honest, I could have gone back to any thread where the OP has started a thread highlighting our deficiencies in midfield. Just searched and we've had threads started on:

24th November 2021 Midfield (hibs.net)
    19th December 2021 Midfield (hibs.net)
    21st January 2022 Midfield (hibs.net)
    1st February 2022 Centre of Midfield (hibs.net)
    14th July 2022 Midfield (hibs.net)
    27th August Whole new midfield needed (hibs.net)
    28th August Midfield 3 (hibs.net)
    17th September Midfield (hibs.net)

I'm not a footballing expert, unlike the various managers and coaches we've had in recent seasons. But they must be blind if they can't see our major problem is in midfield. I've not read these threads. but I'm sure that the comments are consistent - too slow, not creative enough, lacking quality etc etc.

Today, like last week, it's pretty obvious we've nothing in midfield. Like I said, I'm not a footballing expert, but can we no find a manager who knows how to fix it.

Pretty evident where our problem is. We need to address the lack of quality in the midfield.

What are everyone’s thoughts on the midfield post January? Early days, but in Jeggo, Egan-Reilly and Campbell do we now have a balanced midfield that compliments each other and also allows the other areas of the team to work better than they have been?

In the summer are we looking at a replacement for Egan Reilly to complement Jeggo and Campbell? it’s time to move Magennis on but we’ll probably just have to get whatever little we can from him until his contract runs out and effectively plan without him. Think Newell could slot in at times but still see him as a good squad player than a first pick, and January seems to be showing he is dispensable.

Crazy to think it’s taken 4 or 5 windows to properly and sensibly address the midfield rather than just sign good individual midfielders and hope they work together.

What are everyone’s thoughts on the midfield post January? Early days, but in Jeggo, Egan-Reilly and Campbell do we now have a balanced midfield that compliments each other and also allows the other areas of the team to work better than they have been?

In the summer are we looking at a replacement for Egan Reilly to complement Jeggo and Campbell? it’s time to move Magennis on but we’ll probably just have to get whatever little we can from him until his contract runs out and effectively plan without him. Think Newell could slot in at times but still see him as a good squad player than a first pick, and January seems to be showing he is dispensable.

Crazy to think it’s taken 4 or 5 windows to properly and sensibly address the midfield rather than just sign good individual midfielders and hope they work together.
    Jeggo has undoubtedly made a difference. We’ve been really solid with him and Egan-Riley in the last couple of games. Less touches on the ball but more efficient with it for me.

I thought Newell had been playing all right prior to his injury but since he went off at St Mirren we’ve not missed him at all (which won’t surprise quite a few who have never thought his influence was as great as others did and has been the case when he’s missed games in the past).

Midfield has been getting a lot of credit for the defensive improvement but the defence is far less chaotic themselves and that is also helping the midfield IMO. We look well balanced right throughout the team at the moment, to the benefit of everyone individually.

Newell definitely still has his place.

Midfield isn't why we won yesterday imo. Game mostly passed midfield by. Both teams very direct.