hibs.net Messageboard

Page 19 of 19 FirstFirst ... 9171819

Thread: Midfield

Quote Originally Posted by theonlywayisup View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    How did the midfield perform yesterday? Surprised to see Levitt and Newell start again after the non-show against The Rangers.
    Started well then disappeared for half an hour once we went behind.

I actually thought Levitt was better on the ball yesterday and you could see him looming for Emi every time he had it. Off the ball is a different story but that ain’t going to change.

2. Log in to remove the advert

First Team Breakthrough
    Playing with a pairing of two in the middle of the park means that unless they are of McGinn & McGeough quality, they are going to struggle.

Only Amos & Newell can work in this system from the players we have. Even then, it really depends on just how good Amos is.

Sent from my Pixel 7 Pro using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by B.H.F.C View Post

I actually thought Levitt was better on the ball yesterday and you could see him looming for Emi every time he had it. Off the ball is a different story but that ain’t going to change.
    Levitt looks like the kind of squad player that comes on when a good team is trailing in a oneoff game and need one moment to get a goal, a kind of ‘roll the dice’ option B. A luxury. The problem being, thats not what we paid the money we paid for. Good contribution for the assist yesterday, will need much more of that to make me forget about the way he played on wednesday.

Quote Originally Posted by B.H.F.C View Post

I just can’t get away from thinking that he looks much more ideally suited to the role Emi played to the one we have him playing every week.

He’s about as frustrating a player as we’ve ever had - as he so clearly has something, something very good, but it’s accompanied by some pretty awful weaknesses.

I know the whole place isn’t same since Sir Alex left but I find it a bit mad that he could be at Manchester United for so long and retain these weaknesses.

First Team Regular gorgie greens's Avatar
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: Hibbystew7
    Quote Originally Posted by DinkyTwo View Post
    Playing with a pairing of two in the middle of the park means that unless they are of McGinn & McGeough quality, they are going to struggle.

Only Amos & Newell can work in this system from the players we have. Even then, it really depends on just how good Amos is.

Sent from my Pixel 7 Pro using Tapatalk
    Disagree as Newell is too slow and the opposition get back into position.

Quote Originally Posted by Smartie View Post
    I just can’t get away from thinking that he looks much more ideally suited to the role Emi played to the one we have him playing every week.

He’s about as frustrating a player as we’ve ever had - as he so clearly has something, something very good, but it’s accompanied by some pretty awful weaknesses.

I know the whole place isn’t same since Sir Alex left but I find it a bit mad that he could be at Manchester United for so long and retain these weaknesses.
    He doesn’t have the mobility to be a 10.

Quote Originally Posted by Brightside View Post
    He doesn’t have the mobility to be a 10.
    He doesn’t have the mobility to be an elite 10 but his Dundee United highlight reel and his best and worst moments in a Hibs shirt suggest he’d be far better utilised nearer the opposition’s goal than ours.

His lack of mobility is less likely to be costly to us defensively with 2 centre mids behind him.

Newell and Levitt are both more than decent Premiership midfielders but are not equipped for a central double act when they are outnumbered almost every time.
    Would Monty ever consider a diamond shape with those two, Amos or Moriah-Welsh at the base and Marcondes at the tip? That leaves plenty of options for the front two.
    Maybe a tad harsh on Jair and heavily dependent on Amos getting fit and M-W being any good...
    Obita can deliver on the overlap, not so sure about our collection of right-backs.

Left by mutual consent!
    Quote Originally Posted by hibsbollah View Post
    Levitt looks like the kind of squad player that comes on when a good team is trailing in a oneoff game and need one moment to get a goal, a kind of ‘roll the dice’ option B. A luxury. The problem being, thats not what we paid the money we paid for. Good contribution for the assist yesterday, will need much more of that to make me forget about the way he played on wednesday.
    I would file him under 'sell for the first decent offer'. Lightweight, lacks the appetite for the dirtier side of the game. it can't all be Hollywood passes, and that's about all he's got. He needs to get to the gym as well, looks about 8 stone dripping wet.

Quote Originally Posted by Smartie View Post

There is still scope for him to get forward and get shots away from where he is playing, like Newell did yesterday. Up until Killie scored I thought we were actually playing higher up the park as a team. When the goal went in they just reverted to type and sunk back in though. A lot of Levitts goals at Utd were from distance and I think he is better playing with the game in front of him. I don’t see him as being similar to Marcondes but I’ll actually bet Marcondes will like playing with him because Levitt was looking for him every time he got the ball. And when he puts his mind to it he can actually play forward well, he’s got the ability.

@hibs.net private member The Modfather's Avatar
    Might as well make this thread a permanent thread at the top of the page we can add to each week.

The only real defence Monty can have was that none of the new boys were ready to start (if that was indeed the case).

But knowing what we know about our midfielders and having watched our game vs St Mirren on the opening day… is anyone surprised that this turned out to be the car crash that it did?

The players who have been playing midfield for Hibs for the past couple of months get teams relegated - deficient in every aspect of what you need from a midfield.

I wasn’t at the game today so can’t comment on performance but I am surprised that the solution to our midfield woes still appears to be Newell and Levitt? Monty about to become the latest in a long line of Hibs managers to not fix this and pay for it with their jobs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

@hibs.net private member
    LJ may have been a slaver but his evaluation of Jair was spot on, utter mince. Honestly could not believe he was starting in midfield today……especially with Whittaker playing behind him. One of the weakest right sides seen at ER, no wonder St Mirren targeted it.

Quote Originally Posted by hibee-boys View Post
    LJ may have been a slaver but his evaluation of Jair was spot on, utter mince. Honestly could not believe he was starting in midfield today……especially with Whittaker playing behind him. One of the weakest right sides seen at ER, no wonder St Mirren targeted it.
    Mince is the polite way of saying it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by The Modfather View Post
    Might as well make this thread a permanent thread at the top of the page we can add to each week.
    I couldn't believe we started with the Jair-Newell-Levitt-Youan/Maolida. It's a powderpuff midfield protecting a back four consisting of a 16 year old and two 20 year olds. We need players who'll get stuck in and win their personal battles in all areas of the pitch, but that's not going to happen with our current midfield. Thankfully, Jair, Levitt and Youan were removed at half-time and let's hope we never see them again on the pitch at the same time.

The sad thing about our situation is that the majority of Hibs fans have been saying that our midfield isn't good enough for years but sadly not those at Hibernian FC don't seem capable of solving.