hibs.net Messageboard

Derby Match Worn Shirts Auction

See that Hibs have teamed up with Match Worn Shirt and are doing an auction on all the tops from the derby.

As you might guess, a certain 77 is sitting pretty high, currently sitting just below a grand and a half!

https://www.matchwornshirt.com/produ...30ChyHbeZHk65w

I saw a bunch of people having a dig at this on FB, essentially saying its elitist, should be a raffle etc.

What's the view on here?

Personally, I'm all for it. I would never bid on one as I dont want to spend money on that kind of thing. But plenty folk do. As they say, money makes the world go round, and with this, the new hospitality offering, which I thought looks and sounded amazing by all accounts, it's all about making maximum return, because stuff like 77 can't be paid for with good intentions thats for sure!

2. Log in to remove the advert

@hibs.net private member Viva_Palmeiras's Avatar
    It’s a new revenue stream. If we want to improve the team we need to get creative. A raffle I don’t think would raise as much and they need to try the auction first as there’s no way folks would move from a raffle to an auction. No one is forced into this and it’s not denying kids a Hibs top. The shop has hopefully restocked - this is a niche market and clubs are hoping prices and money raised reflect that.
    "We know the people who have invested so far are simple fans." Vladimir Romanov - Scotsman 10th December 2012
    "Romanov was like a breath of fresh air - laced with cyanide." Me.

@hibs.net private member Hibernian Verse's Avatar
    All for it too. If you're interested in this kind of thing have a look at icons.com. My mate & I (The Spaceman) have the Messi 10 Barca top signed.

No interest to me at all.

@hibs.net private member Carheenlea's Avatar
    For me the novelty has long wore off for match worn or signed shirts.

Because of the sheer volume of them now they feel ten a penny.

I’m obviously not the target audience for such things but there does still look to be a keen enough market for them so can’t blame Hibs for putting them out there.

@hibs.net private member superfurryhibby's Avatar
    It's not mandatory to buy them, just like it's not mandatory to buy a corporate box or hospitality.

If folk want to buy this stuff, so be it. Wouldn't be me, but each to their own when it comes to spending their money.

@hibs.net private member scoopyboy's Avatar
    They made two of each shirt for the 2016 Scottish Cup Final.

Imagine what those shirts would have made for the club.

@hibs.net private member
    We want to drive revenue, there’s clearly a market for the shirts, don’t see what the problem is. Hospitality could be seen to be elitist, shall we not bother with that either? I’ve no doubt the club give away signed shirts to good causes if asked, selling these shirts to the highest bidders won’t impact on that.

@hibs.net private member Northernhibee's Avatar
    I can’t blame the club, they’re a business and as much as a man handing out ten pound notes on the street isn’t going to be unpopular, they will be broke very quickly.

We’re clearly making investments in some key areas and written off a very large sum
    of what we were due for Boyler and that needs paid for.

Do you think your security can keep you in purity, you will not shake us off above or below. Scottish friction, Scottish fiction

Would 2000 fans not buy a £1 ticket each for boyles shirt? Or 400 not a £5 ticket?

It does feel a bit like it excludes genuine fans who would treasure something like that but cant afford to shell out. On the other I don't really blame the club for maximising income.

Maybe the solution would be to auction most and keep a couple back to raffle off every so often. I don't know if that would work. They did similar with the Ukraine shirts for the women when they auctioned them off.

Sent from my SM-G991B using Tapatalk

@hibs.net private member Hermit Crab's Avatar
    Current bidding at £1378 or something. Some folk are off their heeds. We drew 1-1 in a normal league derby. Not as if its a shirt from cup final.
    Hibs.nets negative posting legend and unofficial ticket agent.

Quote Originally Posted by Hermit Crab View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Current bidding at £1378 or something. Some folk are off their heeds. We drew 1-1 in a normal league derby. Not as if its a shirt from cup final.
    It’s his comeback game and he scored a goal we will all remember for years. I get it.
    Every gimmick hungry yob,
    Digging gold from rock and roll
    Grabs the mic to tell us,
    He'll die before he's sold.

Quote Originally Posted by Carheenlea View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    For me the novelty has long wore off for match worn or signed shirts.

Because of the sheer volume of them now they feel ten a penny.

I’m obviously not the target audience for such things but there does still look to be a keen enough market for them so can’t blame Hibs for putting them out there.
    I used to be a keen collector of old goalie gloves and goalie tops and would pick up other tops if I found something quite fun and rare.

There's no fun in it now though as it's just become big business. There used to be a bit of skill tracking these things down, often scouring eBay for hours or raking through charity shops and finding a gem. Now it's all about who has the deepest pockets. You might get the odd guy who gets lucky and finds a bargain in a charity shop that they can sell on for a relative fortune. However the market has been killed by the likes of Classic Football Shirts or guys who buy tops for top dollar then immediately sell a football card at £50 a square to recoup their money with a healthy profit on top.

From Hibs point of view it's a no brainer to get involved though. If someone can make £1400 from selling a top then from a business angle better is is Hibs than anyone else.