hibs.net Messageboard

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Rome Wasn't Built In A Day

I think we can all agree that that wasn't a classic from us but if you take a step back and think about it, two last minute goals in a week from a squad with a huge turnover of players still finding their feet and a new management team.

This team will grow and evolve. We aren't suddenly going to be brilliant after the **** show that was left last season. This team have already shown they have bottle, the fluidity will come. The scenes at our goal were brilliant both on the park and the bench. It'll come folks.

2. Log in to remove the advert

We're not giving up & that's good to see

That's how I see it. Certainly not off to have a go at myself over a draw, but signs to be positive, especially after last season.

The fight and togetherness is there, the quality is coming, but its a process

@hibs.net private member worcesterhibby's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Since452 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I think we can all agree that that wasn't a classic from us but if you take a step back and think about it, two last minute goals in a week from a squad with a huge turnover of players still finding their feet and a new management team.

This team will grow and evolve. We aren't suddenly going to be brilliant after the **** show that was left last season. This team have already shown they have bottle, the fluidity will come. The scenes at our goal were brilliant both on the park and the bench. It'll come folks.
    that goal was so important..buys the manager time and positivity

I stopped enjoying watching Hibs when Maloney was in charge. I’m just glad that I actually look forward to watching the team play again. That will do me for now.

Quote Originally Posted by worcesterhibby View Post
    Absolutely crucial. Still can't quite believe it, especially after the Rocky header went over. Those scripts just don't happen to us against them in general.

Showing the character that Hibs teams have lacked since, dare I say, Lennon left.

A lot of the negativity will stem from the fact that we were a total shambles at the start of the second half. Had gone from there being a fair few positives first half to the game nearly being done and dusted by 50 minutes. Didn't create anywhere near enough until injury time to make up for that.

If the Hibs performance of both halves switches around there's less to be bothered about, but there's a inkling of a team in there, players to bed in and a new style of play. Probably not miles away.

Great credit from taking two entirely 'typical Hibs' moments in the last two weeks and getting something good out of them.

We haven’t been great but scored 4 points from 6 , Magennis and Nisbet still to come back , the return and goal heroics of Boyle . I think there’s reason for optimism.

@hibs.net private member
    What’s encouraging for me is that we’ve picked up 4 points out of 6 playing playing not particularly great, lots to improve upon.

Quote Originally Posted by worcesterhibby View Post
    Not just the manager - it gives the players belief.
    Mature, sensible signature required for responsible position. Good prospects for the right candidate. Apply within.

@hibs.net private member
    Two last minute goals in our last couple of games bodes well for team morale and fighting to the last.

Boyle is a massive, massive boost for us but we really badly need a CM. Or actually, 2 CMs. We have absolutely no threat from midfield. What I'd give to have a fully fit Magennis availabile this season.

Left by mutual consent!
    Every team we've played so far bar Falkirk including the Maroon balloons have played anti football low block spoiling tactics. I reckon once we click and get up to speed we're going to pump some teams. Youan and Boyle up front will terrify some of the slow coaches in the league.

Totally agree we must get behind this team actually quite positive we will have a good season like most people just need a couple more good signings ggtth

Left by mutual consent!
    I don’t think many people expected 4 points from the first two games. A win away to Livi next would mean a fantastic start to the season.

I think the vast majority of Hibs fans will buy into that way of thinking, you only have to look at the match day thread to see the usual suspects who have made their mind up on our manager and the players already, it's pitiful stuff it really is.

That goal was huge for Johnson.

I really like the guy but had we lost today, combined with the performance for the early part of the 2nd half, there would have been knives being sharpened. Ridiculously harsh but every Hibs manager pays for the sins of their predecessors in the derby.

He has a bit of positivity now. Of course there is still discussion about our shortcomings but it's relatively measured for the most part now rather than emotional rants. He inherited an utter shambles, a team devoid of quality, confidence and character. He's started to address that but it will take time. I've said before though managers don't get time, they earn it. The last 2 weeks has been a decent start by Johnson.

It's a tricky start and the next 2 weeks are no exception but the spectre of 0 or 1 point from 12 is now banished. We will get better as time passes and the players gel but that won't completely cover up the missing piece in the middle of the park.
    PM Awards General Poster of The Year 2015, 2016, 2017. Probably robbed in other years

@hibs.net private member whiskyhibby's Avatar

I agree and to be honest if we had beaten them, I don’t think Hearts would have complained, thought we were the better team, certainly in the first half and the last 30 minutes

First Team Breakthrough
    How can you take positivity from that performance, our midfield was outplayed by an average Hearts team how they missed a number of second half chances I’ll never know. Call me a boo boy if you wish but no point in papering over the cracks. Thank god that Boyle got an undeserved equaliser we were lucky today.

@hibs.net private member Callum_62's Avatar
    Gamer IDs

Wii Code: 0083-4364-6418-4974
    Quote Originally Posted by john rossi View Post
    How can you take positivity from that performance, our midfield was outplayed by an average Hearts team how they missed a number of second half chances I’ll never know. Call me a boo boy if you wish but no point in papering over the cracks. Thank god that Boyle got an undeserved equaliser we were lucky today.
    We missed a number of first half chances

Ignore that and the fact our midfield wasn't outplayed and you are pretty spot on with your analysis

Sent from my VOG-L29 using Tapatalk

jeez, we weren’t brilliant but marshal played well, Rocky was decent, kenneh was good, youan looked a real prospect, cadden and cabraja both got forward well, Boyle looked confident, and we got a last minute equaliser in a derby! Cheer up

Quote Originally Posted by Pretty Boy View Post
    That goal was huge for Johnson.

I really like the guy but had we lost today, combined with the performance for the early part of the 2nd half, there would have been knives being sharpened. Ridiculously harsh but every Hibs manager pays for the sins of their predecessors in the derby.

He has a bit of positivity now. Of course there is still discussion about our shortcomings but it's relatively measured for the most part now rather than emotional rants. He inherited an utter shambles, a team devoid of quality, confidence and character. He's started to address that but it will take time. I've said before though managers don't get time, they earn it. The last 2 weeks has been a decent start by Johnson.

It's a tricky start and the next 2 weeks are no exception but the spectre of 0 or 1 point from 12 is now banished. We will get better as time passes and the players gel but that won't completely cover up the missing piece in the middle of the park.
    I think this is a really good assessment, but it's vital we address the middle of the park and add another centre half if possible.

@hibs.net private member Stevie Reid's Avatar
    I don’t know how you can say that we were lucky today - in what way? David Marshall made two excellent saves, which is his job. Craig Gordon made one superb save. Both teams made and missed very good chances.

We scored a very well crafted goal to draw the game. Had it been a massive deflection or a penalty that never was, maybe you could say we were lucky. But nothing that happened for us in the game today was just as a result of good fortune.

Given how Hearts started the second half, and how in control they were for most of it - added to the fact that we scored with the last kick of the game - it’s easy to buy into the narrative that we’ve nicked it in today.

But over the piece, in terms of chances created and every meaningful stat, we were well worth a point. Even having to deal with a truly terrible refereeing performance from Beaton.

We have work to do, there’s no doubt about that - but we have quality in the squad to do that work with. A left sided CH and a dynamic midfielder being added to the squad before the end of the window will see us in a very strong position.
    Last edited by Stevie Reid; 07-08-2022 at 11:32 PM.

There’s lots of positives for me.

There’s signs of how Johnson wanting us to play and when we do it looks effective, we just need to do it for longer spells.

Some of the new signings look very decent additions, whilst some are still finding their feet but showing flashes.

Guys like Rocky and Henderson have improved massively since last season, I don’t know if that’s coaching by simplifying there game, a coincidence or just they’re more experienced.

We’ve picked up 4 points in our first 2 games without being brilliant, we’ve kept going until the last minute showing real character and got our rewards. Last week against saints we should have been ahead alot sooner and today we had plenty chances.

Still another one or two to come in according to LJ, if they’re two quality additions and ‘prime’ players like Cabraja then I’m very excited.

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by JJP View Post
    I stopped enjoying watching Hibs when Maloney was in charge. I’m just glad that I actually look forward to watching the team play again. That will do me for now.
    That wasn't for very long then.

We more than deserved a point against the overwhelming favourites for 3rd. It's shown where we are really.

Boyle re-added that never say die attitude that was sadly lacking in the 2nd half of last season.

For me though we still have 3 or 4 players that have shocking decision making. Times yesterday the gaps were there but it’s been a “safe” roll back or sideways pass to Portoeus.

I don’t want us to play safe when chasing a game. I want risks taken. I want to see a ball slicing the opponents defence rather than a pass to Rocky who passes to Porteous who then plays the ball up field but the opposition defence have regrouped.

If we get that right, we’ll have a good season.

It wasn't an average Hearts team..it's the team that came 3rd last year at a canter and who are odds on to get 3rd again. They also only out- played us for sections of the game, we were by far the better side in the opening 15 mins and the last 15 mins. I'd say they had about 30 mins when they were in control too..the rest was even. We created 3-4 very good chances and took one. They created 3-4 good chances and took one. Your either a jambo or just trolling. Nobody is suggesting our midfield is great..almost everyone is in agreement that we need someone in there with drive and a killer pass...but there is no way on earth that equaliser was undeserved and I don't understand how any Hibs fan can think that.

Quote Originally Posted by WestStandWillie View Post
    Boyle re-added that never say die attitude that was sadly lacking in the 2nd half of last season.
    To be fair..going by the first match of the season..LJ had already re-added the never say die attitude, before Boyle even re-signed.

First Team Breakthrough
    Last season despite the good start, we were the team that switched off and we lost late equalisers to both St Mirren and Dundee. Now we're the team that is pushing until the final whistle, which is a big shift in mentality already.

Encouraging signs and I'm certain that the fluidity and style which we want to play will come with time. Bring on Livi!