hibs.net Messageboard

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Pubs open before the derby

I’m getting a wee bit buzzing for Sunday now. This is probably a well discussed topic, but anyone know of any pubs open from 9/10 on derby day?

2. Log in to remove the advert

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by BegbieHSC View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I’m getting a wee bit buzzing for Sunday now. This is probably a well discussed topic, but anyone know of any pubs open from 9/10 on derby day?
    Normally, during the festival, every licensed premises receives an automatic extension to their hours that they can chose to use if they wish. There are bound to be places open if that still applies this year.

What about the weatherspoons pub at the foot of the walk as long as you are eating something you can buy alcohol that used to the case many times when going to hampden for an early kick off used to go to weatherspoons

@hibs.net private member Carheenlea's Avatar
    I saw a social media post from The Harp & Castle intimating that they were open pre match from 11am.

Not as early as the OP was perhaps looking for but at least it’s somewhere for a quick couple.

Think most places will be 11. That's usually the case for the early Sunday kick offs.
    PM Awards General Poster of The Year 2015, 2016, 2017. Probably robbed in other years

Quote Originally Posted by Garymcl View Post
    What about the weatherspoons pub at the foot of the walk as long as you are eating something you can buy alcohol that used to the case many times when going to hampden for an early kick off used to go to weatherspoons
    Almost always on a Saturday . I remember being in a Wetherspoons in Glasgow before Ross County final ( a Sunday ) with folk having breakfast and soft drinks till stampede to bar at 12.30 . Was in the same pub 2 weeks ago midweek and the few staff who were there were sending customers to other places as there was no food before 4 and almost no bar staff .

Hoppy in marionville road is open from 9.0, usually does free pies on matchdays as well

Sent from my SM-A520F using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by martin1959 View Post
    Hoppy in marionville road is open from 9.0, usually does free pies on matchdays as well

On a Sunday?

Quote Originally Posted by munchar View Post
    On a Sunday?
    Yes, got an early licence somehow for this sunday, my son's girlfriend is working there on sunday she starts at 9.0 then finishes about 11.30 then she's going to the game

Yes, got an early licence somehow for this sunday, my son's girlfriend is working there on sunday she starts at 9.0 then finishes about 11.30 then she's going to the game

Perfect 👍 cheers 🍻 for the info

Is it not full of jambos on derby day?

@hibs.net private member Alex Trager's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by SChibs View Post
    Not on Sunday.

When I win the lottery they’ll be getting banned from the Arti pre match. Include the tims and huns in that as well

Quote Originally Posted by SChibs View Post
    Wouldn't have thought so.

Don't think there's many options pre 11, I know Wetherspoons (haven't been in one since Brexit) will likely be open but no idea what time they'd start serving alcohol?

Scotland seems way out of sync with England for pub opening times.

I was in Newcastle a few weeks back, went to a boozer at 9am on a Sunday and it was just normal.
    Cougars!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Nakedmanoncrack View Post
    Wouldn't have thought so.
    I went in after a derby and it was about 60:40 hibs fans to hearts fans. I'd have thought it may have been the other way before the game due to the location

Blog Entries
    Gamer IDs

PSN ID: Euphoria1875
    The selection of decent boozers near the stadium has dwindled in recent years, some good ones gone as well. I can't get over the Albion bar being turned into a corner shop ffs.

I presume there will be a lot of people drinking in the streets? Where are they most likely to congregate?

@hibs.net private member Hermit Crab's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by HH81 View Post
    Scotland seems way out of sync with England for pub opening times.

I was in Newcastle a few weeks back, went to a boozer at 9am on a Sunday and it was just normal.

Different licensing laws up here, we have minimum pricing policies and restricted opening times. We've got the Scottish government to thank for that.
    Hibs.nets negative posting legend and unofficial ticket agent.

Is Wetherspoons a good option if you want to watch the game and have u18s with you? It’s not a pub chain I frequent very often.

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by hibsbollah View Post
    Is Wetherspoons a good option if you want to watch the game and have u18s with you? It’s not a pub chain I frequent very often.
    I don’t think any/many of them show live sports

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by Hermit Crab View Post
    Different licensing laws up here, we have minimum pricing policies and restricted opening times. We've got the Scottish government to thank for that.
    Although on the other side I was surprised most pubs in London close bang on 11pm. We close at 1am mostly up town

Quote Originally Posted by hibsbollah View Post
    They generally show football. Don't play music either. Soulless places to be honest

@hibs.net private member Frazerbob's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Hermit Crab View Post
    Minimum pricing is a good thing, our opening hours are fine. You can drink from 7am to 5am in Edinburgh today. What more do you want. The Sunday 11am opening is down The Church, so we have an outdated, fairytale to thank for that.

@hibs.net private member Oscar T Grouch's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Frazerbob View Post
    Minimum pricing is a good thing, our opening hours are fine. You can drink from 7am to 5am in Edinburgh today. What more do you want. The Sunday 11am opening is down The Church, so we have an outdated, fairytale to thank for that.
    Minimum pricing has been proven not to work. In fact the latest figures out show Scotland and Irelands deaths due to alcohol at an all time high despite these two nations being the only two in the British isles to have minimum pricing per unit. What It does do is effect low income alcoholics and their families to more hardships. The Scottish Government know this but have chosen to continue with minimum pricing per unit.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former.

@hibs.net private member MartinfaePorty's Avatar
    Yep, it was also well within living memory that you couldn't buy alcohol from a supermarket on a Sunday, then it was only after 12pm, then finally to where it is today, after 10am. Places you could drink on a Sunday were very limited and folk used to gravitate towards hotels, as their licences were more relaxed.

What evidence is there a that minimum pricing is a good thing?

Quote Originally Posted by Since90+2 View Post
    None. Papers reporting today that alcohol deaths in Scotland are at their highest in 13 years.

Quote Originally Posted by Since90+2 View Post
    Taking steps and trying methods to reduce the major alcohol issues in Scotland is a good thing, but maybe this hasn't worked as hoped based on the latest figures.

@hibs.net private member Frazerbob's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Oscar T Grouch View Post
    Minimum pricing has been proven not to work. In fact the latest figures out show Scotland and Irelands deaths due to alcohol at an all time high despite these two nations being the only two in the British isles to have minimum pricing per unit. What It does do is effect low income alcoholics and their families to more hardships. The Scottish Government know this but have chosen to continue with minimum pricing per unit.
    It has stopped irresponsible promotions like the £1 Vodka student nights and rock bottom priced , high alcohol, low quality products being sold in corner shops for less than a pint of milk. Alcohol deaths are happening despite minimum pricing not because of it.

This maybe isn’t for the football forum though lol