hibs.net Messageboard

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Quote Originally Posted by CL0762 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Not for me, from 85/86 on the clock to manage the game out I understand it.

Not from minute 1, they were at it for the entirety of the game yesterday & it was actually brutal to watch.
    It was brutal to watch ,my 2 kids were getting bored of it aswell, they are trained to go down at every corner holding their face , just watch every game they play , wouldn't have game them the ball back in the second half it's up to the ref to stop the game

2. Log in to remove the advert

@hibs.net private member Northernhibee's Avatar
    I’d rather see my team relegated than watch that week in, week out. Completely disrespectful to their own fans.

Do you think your security can keep you in purity, you will not shake us off above or below. Scottish friction, Scottish fiction

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by percy veer View Post
    It was brutal to watch ,my 2 kids were getting bored of it aswell, they are trained to go down at every corner holding their face , just watch every game they play , wouldn't have game them the ball back in the second half it's up to the ref to stop the game
    You’d be as well doing away with corners and attacking free kicks, it seems as if all they have to do is hit the deck and the whistle gets blown.

Giving them the ball back pissed me off as well, they kicked it out so we should play on.

@hibs.net private member
    Hopefully VAR can sort this out…. A few cards for simulation and time wasting and it should start to curb it.

madhatter
    Left by mutual consent!
    Time wasting isn't solely about wasting time though, it is about breaking up the flow of play. So not sure if making the match shorter and stopping the clock when ball is not in play helps with this. Teams will still feign injury when they are under relentless pressure.

Teams will just time waste in other ways as well. Run the ball into corners or just pass it around the back. They'll kick the ball out the stadium if it gives their defence a breather. Stopping clock makes no difference to that.

@hibs.net private member Victor's Avatar
    It makes you wonder what a St.Johnstone training session is like. Is the manager the one who is instructing his players to fall down, do they practice dropping and rolling techniques? Is it something specifically encouraged at St. Johnstone, or do all players have it in them. Personally if I was a manager I would fine or refuse to play players who behaved like the St. Johnstone team yesterday.

@hibs.net private member
    Something that last needs sorted is the amount of free kicks awarded to the defensive team at corners/free kicks. To me it seems as easy cop out for a referee when there’s a coming together on the box. How often are penalties awarded to the attacking team, it can be that 90% of fouls committed in these situations are made by the attacking side. Hopefully VAR helps with this but I very much doubt it🤷🏼

A specific official solely managing a 2 half 30/35 minute ball in play visible to all clock would be as positive an improvement as eliminating the Goalkeeper back pass. The back pass change for me was the birth of the truly modern era of football.

@hibs.net private member Bristolhibby's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by .Sean. View Post
    If that’s the case where the hell do referees pluck three minutes of stoppage time from
    Suppose goal kicks, corners and throw ins are just part of the game, as are free kicks.

J

It'll probably take a minnow team St Johnstoning their way to winning a World Cup, Euro Cup or Champions League before FIFA/UEFA do a sensible rule change to deal with blatant time wasting.

@hibs.net private member Mibbes Aye's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by .Sean. View Post
    If that’s the case where the hell do referees pluck three minutes of stoppage time from
    Quote Originally Posted by danhibees1875 View Post
    It's in the rules; unless something peculiar happens you get 1 minute at half time, then 3 at the end - 5 if rangers need a goal.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bristolhibby View Post
    Suppose goal kicks, corners and throw ins are just part of the game, as are free kicks.

J
    I think the first and foremost consideration is offsetting time taken up for substitutions, then everything else.
    There's only one thing better than a Hibs calendar and that's two Hibs calendars

@hibs.net private member Carheenlea's Avatar
    Players going down feigning fouls/injury is a consequence of going too far in determining what is deemed a foul. The rate it’s going we are heading towards the game being a non contact sport.

Slightest contact and players are down and referees blow the whistle. Hard challenge to win ball - out comes the whistle again.

Maybe need to consider rolling back to allow more physical contact and tackling that is more than just nicking the ball away. As has been pointed out, the amount of corners that are blown up for a “foul” during games now is increasing tenfold.

Macey was pretty bad for time wasting, which was a bit embarrassing. The Livingston keeper was booked on Saturday after a warning.
    I wonder what the difference is with minutes in play in the women's game where there are far fewer fouls?

Blog Entries
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: franck sauzee
    Quote Originally Posted by madhatter View Post
    Time wasting isn't solely about wasting time though, it is about breaking up the flow of play. So not sure if making the match shorter and stopping the clock when ball is not in play helps with this. Teams will still feign injury when they are under relentless pressure.

Teams will just time waste in other ways as well. Run the ball into corners or just pass it around the back. They'll kick the ball out the stadium if it gives their defence a breather. Stopping clock makes no difference to that.
    That’s spot on, they do it to disrupt the flow of the game and they’ll use every trick in the book to do it. A stop clock wouldn’t fix that issue.

I’m not sure what would, though.
    Follow the Hibs podcast, Longbangers, on Twitter (@longbangers)
    https://longbangers.hubwave.net

@hibs.net private member McSwanky's Avatar
    I think I time clock would help with, but not completely solve, the issue. I'm all for trying it in principle.

I also think that slow substitutions need dealt with - there should be a strict rule that if the player to be substituted isn't off the pitch in 10 seconds, the player coming on gets booked.

Feigning injury would still be a problem, but surely there are ways of minimising that. Remember when players had to go off the pitch if they had received treatment? How about a mandatory 2 minutes off the pitch if you've been 'injured' for more than 1 minute? Could be dressed up as a welfare issue, but also used as a deterrent.

There needs to be a wee bit of creative thinking applied here, I feel like these types of things could be stamped out pretty quickly if strict time limits are applied, with retrospective punishment dealt out if they're not caught on the day.

The game lasts 90 mins, why are we having a 60 Minute stopwatch and not a 90, let's make these players work for a change, they get paid enough for relatively little effort as it is.

Quote Originally Posted by matty_f View Post
    That’s spot on, they do it to disrupt the flow of the game and they’ll use every trick in the book to do it. A stop clock wouldn’t fix that issue.

I’m not sure what would, though.
    It could be fixed by stronger officials that punish "injured" players that roll back onto the pitch etc. and what happened to the rules like leaving the pitch at the nearest point, the 6 second rule for goalkeepers, bookings for blocking free kicks by standing a foot from the ball, injured players getting treated off the pitch while the match continues?

Official have played a large part in it getting so bad and also for the general standard of the game by turning a blind eye to the dark arts, meaning only 2 or 3 teams actually try to play football properly.

Pundits could help by calling out players for playacting in the same way they love to highlight a dive for a penalty or a red card challenge that was missed. Much of the time wasting antics is embarrassing, players doing it should be made to feel embarrased for their behaviour.
    Last edited by 007; 01-08-2022 at 01:03 PM.

@hibs.net private member
    I would combine a 60 minute play period with a team foul penalty. A clock would stop as soon as the ref blew there whistle for the ball being out of play or play stopped. I would order refs to enforce rules that make the game better such as the already mentioned standing in front of free kicks. I also think there should be a team foul system where either a player is lost for a period of time or a penalty or one on one with the keeper from halfway line is awarded after a certain number of fouls. Football is pretty much worse to watch every year with all the cheating and mind numbing tactics of square passing. Anything that can be done to make it more entertaining would be welcomed by me.

Quote Originally Posted by Hibbyradge View Post
    FWIW, I would support that change. It would cut out time wasting immediately and would get a fairer deal for their money.
    I think 60 minute game clock would be good, but I don’t think it would fundamentally change a game. The time wasting tactics are about breaking up your opponents flow as well as running down the clock, and I think the tactics would become more nuanced to run down a game clock as well as breaking up the flow. Every team does it when they are ahead, even us.

What I’ve thought we’ve longed needed as a club is coaching specifically geared to overcoming this in the last ten minutes of a game when you are behind and the opponent is trying to keep ball.

Some clubs are really good at chasing a game in the closing minutes - Real Madrid spring to mind, but also Man City and Liverpool.

I think in the recent past we’ve been dull and uninspired when needing a late goal. Hopefully Saturday was a sign things are changing.

@hibs.net private member WhileTheChief..'s Avatar
    If this match had been in March or April and we'd seen loads of games with it happening, then I could see the point in having the discussion.

As it is, it's a one off. No other games were like this at the weekend, so to want to change the the entire game feels like a bit of an over reaction.

There will be plenty of games this season where we'll be happy to run down the clock or break up the play.

We just needs the refs to be more aware of it and take the appropriate action.

@hibs.net private member WhileTheChief..'s Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by 007 View Post
    It could be fixed by stronger officials that punish "injured" players that roll back onto the pitch etc. and what happened to the rules like leaving the pitch at the nearest point, the 6 second rule for goalkeepers, bookings for blocking free kicks by standing a foot from the ball, injured players getting treated off the pitch while the match continues?

Official have played a large part in it getting so bad and also for the general standard of the game by turning a blind eye to the dark arts, meaning only 2 or 3 teams actually try to play football properly.

Pundits could help by calling out players for playacting in the same way they love to highlight a dive for a penalty or a red card challenge that was missed. Much of the time wasting antics is embarrassing, players doing it should be made to feel embarrased for their behaviour.
    I regularly red that refs are as bad as we've ever had!! Are you meaning that year on year they are getting worse?

I know nobody will agree, but I think refs now are the best they've ever been. When were these halcyon days that folk hark back to when refs were awesome??!!

They're under way more scrutiny than ever before and do a pretty damn fine job, all things considered.

Dark arts?? Only 2 or 3 teams in our league try to play football??

One of my mates is a physio. He can tell from the approach of the so called "injured player's" treatment from team physios if they're at it or not. He'll call bull **** when he sees them pretending to treat an imaginary injury. It happens far too often.

The going down with a pretendy head knock is the worst carry on. They know it has to get the game stopped. I remember one game last season where 3 players from an opposition team all went down with head knocks at the same time. They must've forgotten whose turn it was

@hibs.net private member Viva_Palmeiras's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Purple & Green View Post
    I think 60 minute game clock would be good, but I don’t think it would fundamentally change a game. The time wasting tactics are about breaking up your opponents flow as well as running down the clock, and I think the tactics would become more nuanced to run down a game clock as well as breaking up the flow. Every team does it when they are ahead, even us.

What I’ve thought we’ve longed needed as a club is coaching specifically geared to overcoming this in the last ten minutes of a game when you are behind and the opponent is trying to keep ball.

Some clubs are really good at chasing a game in the closing minutes - Real Madrid spring to mind, but also Man City and Liverpool.

I think in the recent past we’ve been dull and uninspired when needing a late goal. Hopefully Saturday was a sign things are changing.
    yup no point in having superior fitness if we’re not gonna use it… hopefully we’ve also got the makings of more creative players to find a way to unlock the blanket defences. St Johnstone deary me!
    "We know the people who have invested so far are simple fans." Vladimir Romanov - Scotsman 10th December 2012
    "Romanov was like a breath of fresh air - laced with cyanide." Me.

@hibs.net private member jacomo's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by madhatter View Post

Running down the clock while the ball is in play is totally legitimate though??

That’s what England were doing last night v Germany, holding the ball in the corner. There’s a skill to that and it can be oddly captivating… that’s not the same thing as being discussed here.