hibs.net Messageboard

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

This is how it feels (St. Johnstone 30 07 22)

After the disappointment of the League Cup campaign, it was down to league business with the opening fixture of the season, away to St. Johnstone. A fantastic Hibs support got behind the team from the word go, with the stadium basking in the Perth sunshine. It would prove to be an entertaining, if sometimes frustrating ninety minutes with Hibs winning the day with a last minute header from the much maligned Josh Campbell. If there was a fan in the stands who was more delighted for Josh than I was, I never met them. I actually said to my pal, when Josh came on, that I hoped he scored the winner to shut the fans up who were sitting to our rear and actually booed when Campbell came on. Ironically, they were jumping around like idiots when the Campbell header hit the net!

With work permits finally secured for Youan and Cabraja, both made the starting eleven in a 4 2 3 1 formation with Newell and Kenneh sitting, Melkersen, Henderson and Tavares ahead of them and Youan up front. Cadden was fit enough to start at right back with Cabraja on the left, flanking Porteous and Bushiri.

From the off, Hibs were up and at them and Melkersen soon attracted a few fouls when his movement caused defenders to commit those offences. Melkersen was involved again when a fine cross by Cabraja picked him out in the box, but the striker guided his header wide of the target. To their credit the home side did try to attack but many of their attempts were thwarted before the ball got anywhere near David Marshall. When Newell set him up, Tavares hurried an effort that was blocked, and the danger cleared.

Ex Hibee Drey Wright, who got an interesting reception from the Hibs fans, then set up Theo Bair but the strikers shot flew well wide. There were a few robust challenges going in from both sets of players, but referee Euan Anderson was keeping his cards in his pocket for the time being. Around the twenty five minute mark, a stunning cross by Cabraja arrived at the unmarked Henderson but Ewan made a real hash of it and skied his effort over from about twelve yards. It was a bad miss and there were groans galore around me. Moments later, Melkersen was carded for a foul on Wright and in the aftermath, the ref brandished a yellow card towards the Hibs bench. My guess is that Lee Johnson had nipped the fourth official’s ear because the numerous earlier fouls on Melkersen had gone unpunished.

Hibs were certainly dominating the ball but moves tended to break down in the final third. Both Youan and Tavares were making darting runs but our midfield didn’t provide them with any meaningful possession. Tavaras, again fed the ball by Newell, hit a powerful shot from outside the box but the ball was always rising. Much of the play was taking part in the middle third and towards the final third of the St. Johnstone defence but no clear cut chances were created, and it was noticeable that when their keeper trotted off at half time, he hadn’t had to make a single save.

Neither side made changes at the break and the first half chance fell to another of the ex Hibs players when a header by Jamie Murphy sailed wide of the target. Hibs soon got back in charge and saw efforts from Henderson, Cabraja and Youan failed to trouble Matthews in the home goal. The Hibs support was becoming increasingly frustrated because the home side were flying in to some hefty challenges, referee Anderson being more than a tad lenient. Finally, ten minutes into the half the yellow card appeared as Wright was booked for a foul on Cabraja. Moments later, Davidson who is never shy about clattering into opponents, scythed down Porteous with an over the top challenge that resulted in, a deserved in my view, red card. In the wake of that incident, St. Johnstone made two changes by bringing on Stevie May for Bair and Cammy McPherson for Murphy who limped off injured.

From that point forward the hosts took every opportunity to run down the clock and just as he had done in the Hibs v Morton game, referee Anderson largely ignored the tactic. On the front foot, Hibs saw efforts from Henderson and Cabraja miss the target before Graham Carey skipped clear to rifle in a shot that Marshall had to dive full length to avoid conceding. From the resultant corner, Ryan McGowan headed wide of goal.

A double change by Hibs saw Doidge and Mitchell replacing Melkersen and Tavaras and they’d only been on the park a couple of minutes when Henderson saw yellow for a foul on McGowan. Hibs were trying everything they could to break the deadlock, but repeated stops prevented any head of steam being built up. Every time a St. Johnstone player went down, play was stopped and recovery from ‘injury’ took a while. After Chris Cadden went down with cramp, Lee Johnson replaced him with Josh Campbell and shortly after that, McGowan went down under a challenge from Cabraja which caused referee Anderson to be surrounded by St. Johnstone players asking for the Hibs man to see red. I’m a Hibs fan and so am biased but there is no bias in my view of this incident. Davidson was out of control and over the ball; Cabraja was late, but it was a bread and butter challenge and no more that earned a yellow card.

Next in the book was Cammy McPherson for a late challenge on Newell and then in the final minute of normal time, Kenneh was replaced by Doig-Hayes. Jake had only been on the park for seconds when Hibs won a corner, delivered by Henderson and met at the back post by Josh Campbell who headed the ball past Matthews and into the net. Bedlam ensued both on and off the park as the points were won and deservedly so.

Three points and away from home is a good start. I thought there was plenty to be encouraged by but accept that we need to find a way to convert the chances made.

The players

Marshall – Apart from that one key save he had very little to do.

Cadden – Bombed up and down the right as usual and had one or two decent interchanges with Melkersen.

Bushiri – I don’t think he was really troubled at any point in the game.

Porteous – Took a few hits and the one from Davidson was a stone wall red card.

Cabraja – Played himself into the game quickly and I was very impressed with his debut. I can see the left back position being his to lose as he is composed, reads the game well and delivers excellent crosses. My man of the match.

Kenneh – After a bit of a shaky start in the team I think he’s settling well and becoming used to the pace in Scottish football.

Newell – Joe’s a strange one. It feels like you go a good while without seeing much of him but of the midfield that played today, only Henderson was more creative on the ball.

Melkersen – Doesn’t shirk from physical challenges and never hides. Had a good game today.

Henderson – Some lovely touches and if I had a gripe, it would be that he sometimes takes too long to get a pass away.

Tavaras – His pace will worry teams.

Youan – A frustrating day for him as he wasn’t getting much service.

Mitchell – Good to see him back.

Doidge – Kept McGowan and Considine busy.

Campbell – Thrilled for him, I really am.

Doyle-Hayes – Only got the last few minutes.

Lee Johnson – Heard his interview after the game. I know he was trying to be diplomatic over the sending off but ‘a yellow and a half’ really!!

Referee – Euan Anderson baffles and frustrates in equal measure.

Finally – The fans were immense today (other than a few fruit loops)
    This is how it feels

2. Log in to remove the advert

The Henderson point is interesting.

At half time I said, I said I thought he was the only person who moved it reasonably quickly / one touch.

Not so much in the 2nd but think he has quick feet and is still a pain in the a***!

@hibs.net private member Northernhibee's Avatar
    I think that showed that the support want this team and this manager to succeed. I think we will need to show patience and understanding whilst they gel and bit sticky spells during the season but even after last year there’s still a love for Hibs.

Do you think your security can keep you in purity, you will not shake us off above or below. Scottish friction, Scottish fiction

Quote Originally Posted by Northernhibee View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I think that showed that the support want this team and this manager to succeed. I think we will need to show patience and understanding whilst they gel and bit sticky spells during the season but even after last year there’s still a love for Hibs.
    We have a new manager ( who has been fortunate enough to have a pre season with players ) and a lot of new players so of course fans should show patience and understanding . Exactly the same as when Maloney took over in more difficult circumstances - mid season with struggling team and huge injury list before and after he took over . I suppose that`s what you`re saying ? That you and all other Hibs fans should give all managers time and show patience . Or are you suggesting that some fans only want the team to succeed and love the club when certain managers are in charge ?

Hibs poor.
    Johnson, shocking, subs were a joke.'
    Got away with one, positives Rocky wasn't as bad as I've seen him and cabraja was superb. Massive upgrade on the over rated Doig who couldn't defend or attack.

Good summary as always. Plenty of positives today. Cadden got my vote for MOM. Liked Youan, Kenneh & Cabraja. Rocky deserves a shout, defensively he's rock solid.

Shout for Johnson too liked the players wide positioning, stretching St Johnstone and creating space when playing out from Marshall forwards. Both wings were used well throughout.

Very tough game and one so many times we've not won or even lost previously. Delighted with 3pts today.

@hibs.net private member Jones28's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by JammyDoidger View Post
    Hibs poor.
    Got away with one, positives Rocky wasn't as bad as I've seen him and cabraja was superb. Massive upgrade on the over rated Doig who couldn't defend or attack.
    Give a rest eh?
    "...when Hibs won the Scottish Cup final and that celebration, Sunshine on Leith? I don’t think there’s a better football celebration ever in the game.”

Sir Alex Ferguson

Thought first half we looked good but just lacking that clinical side, some really good fast paced football though. Second half was a grim watch due to how St Johnstone played, it felt like the ball was hardly in play.

Brilliant win and a well deserved 3 points.

Special mention to Rocky, Cabraja, Kenneh and Newell who I thought were all very good today.

Think Tavares may take a bit of time getting used to the league and would be surprised if he started the derby, think we may see JDH come in for him and Henderson move to the left.

Hopefully playing against teams that don’t defend with all 10 outfielders will suit Youan more! Looks like he’s got quality, it’s just getting him on the ball in the right areas.

@hibs.net private member Golden Bear's Avatar
    Hibs poor.
    Sober up man. Ye cannae be serious.

Hibs poor.
    Is this a whoosh moment or are you really a seriously, sad ****?

@hibs.net private member Callum_62's Avatar
    Gamer IDs

Wii Code: 0083-4364-6418-4974
    Hibs poor.
    Subs. Joke.

Sent from my VOG-L29 using Tapatalk

@hibs.net private member Libby Hibby's Avatar
    Hibs poor.
    Slaver.

Hibs poor.
    Wow.

@hibs.net private member Carheenlea's Avatar
    It just goes to prove how fine the margins are in football.

We are all largely delighted with the win after a hard fought out game that looked like it was slipping away from us. Everyone has a bit of spring in their step, and there’s some feel good factor tonight.

Had we drawn 0-0 the feeling would be starkly different, and the performance on a whole along with individual players would have been deeply scrutinised and we’d be feeling very flat.

Hopefully we can build on this, as there is obviously a lot of work still required to get us firing on all cylinders.

The players displayed good character today, never giving up and willed on by the fans we got the result we deserved.

Quote Originally Posted by Carheenlea View Post

We are all largely delighted with the win after a hard fought out game that looked like it was slipping away from us. Everyone has a bit of spring in their step, and there’s some feel good factor tonight.

Had we drawn 0-0 the feeling would be starkly different, and the performance on a whole along with individual players would have been deeply scrutinised and we’d be feeling very flat.

Hopefully we can build on this, as there is obviously a lot of work still required to get us firing on all cylinders.

The players displayed good character today, never giving up and willed on by the fans we got the result we deserved.
    Agree fine margins and all that...

Hibs poor.
    Subs were a joke 😂

Quote Originally Posted by Carheenlea View Post

I agree and made a similar point after the game. However, we’re quick enough to sulk and go radge when the fine margins don’t go our way, so rightly should enjoy what was a good first win to kick off the season.

We deserved to win today. No doubt.

@hibs.net private member JohnM1875's Avatar
    Gamer IDs

PSN ID: johnmac1875
    Quote Originally Posted by WeeRussell View Post
    I agree and made a similar point after the game. However, we’re quick enough to sulk and go radge when the fine margins don’t go our way, so rightly should enjoy what was a good first win to kick off the season.

We deserved to win today. No doubt.
    Absolutely deserved it. Easily the better team and were unlucky not to score a few more. Add in its the first time a lot of the team had played together and Demi got a run out, positive day.

Hibs poor.
    Jeezo mate ....... fair looking forward to what you have to say when we lose ............ not

Quote Originally Posted by Brightside View Post
    Wow.
    Undercover tramp....easily ignored.

@hibs.net private member AFKA5814_Hibs's Avatar
    The only thing I'd disagree with John is the two challenges. Callum Davidson can be a bit of a moaning git, but agree with him. Either both are yellows or both are reds. We'd be raging if it went the other way. Personally I think both were yellows.

Hibs poor.
    Hahaha.

@hibs.net private member JohnM1875's Avatar
    Gamer IDs

PSN ID: johnmac1875
    Quote Originally Posted by AFKA5814_Hibs View Post
    The only thing I'd disagree with John is the two challenges. Callum Davidson can be a bit of a moaning git, but agree with him. Either both are yellows or both are reds. We'd be raging if it went the other way. Personally I think both were yellows.
    Aye that's spot on for me as well. Can 100% understand Davidson's frustration.

Very good start to the league campaign for Johnson. If he wants to change the minds of the doubters than that's a good starting point. Only one team trying to play football today. The outcome was merited.

@hibs.net private member
    Hibs poor.
    What a bizzare take - in fact I think you are just taking the piss

Hibs poor - erm 69% posession & 14 attempts on goal vs 4 away from home
    Johnson shocking -3 points away from home on his league debut
    subs were a joke - one of the subs scored the winner FFS!

Hibs poor.
    Massive attention seeker or a yam. Becoming clearer by the day.

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by Hibs1992 View Post
    Massive attention seeker or a yam. Becoming clearer by the day.
    There's a clue in his user name.

@hibs.net private member
    Hibs poor.

Can understand Davidson being annoyed at the cards - I think Cabraja gets yellow because it's a genuine attempt to win the ball, but is late, while Davidson's, while his studs are down and he's not stamping, or straight-legged, is like the Porto red against Aberdeen where the ruling would be that he has no realistic chance of getting the ball. I fully expect them to appeal and get his ban increased

Fully agree with Carheenlea on the fine margins. I thought we were good first half but had run out of ideas and were well into "play all day without scoring" territory before we "Hibs'd it" - obviously, by "Hibs'd it" I mean an injury time header from the right back from a Henderson corner to win the game. Had we not scored that we'd be on the "same old, same old" narrative. There's clearly still a lot to work on, but definitely some promising signs too. I thought Rocky and Newell were both excellent today, so hopefully that continues, and Kenneh was better than I thought he had been in earlier games. Melkerson is my personal favourite. I love his energy and movement. Cracking attitude.

Quote Originally Posted by ChilliEater View Post
    Can understand Davidson being annoyed at the cards - I think Cabraja gets yellow because it's a genuine attempt to win the ball, but is late, while Davidson's, while his studs are down and he's not stamping, or straight-legged, is like the Porto red against Aberdeen where the ruling would be that he has no realistic chance of getting the ball. I fully expect them to appeal and get his ban increased

Fully agree with Carheenlea on the fine margins. I thought we were good first half but had run out of ideas and were well into "play all day without scoring" territory before we "Hibs'd it" - obviously, by "Hibs'd it" I mean an injury time header from the right back from a Henderson corner to win the game. Had we not scored that we'd be on the "same old, same old" narrative. There's clearly still a lot to work on, but definitely some promising signs too. I thought Rocky and Newell were both excellent today, so hopefully that continues, and Kenneh was better than I thought he had been in earlier games. Melkerson is my personal favourite. I love his energy and movement. Cracking attitude.
    I disagree that we'd ran out of ideas. It felt like the majority of the second half was spent with St Johnstone players lying on the deck or them taking an age to take goal kicks. There was no rhythm in the second half as they were desperately trying to see it out for a draw.