hibs.net Messageboard

Melkerson and Youan

Those two look like they could be really good together. I didn't get Melkerson and Youan playing, or, rotating out wide. Tavares seemed to be through the middle at times. I know most teams won't play 442, so we are not going to get two strikers up front, but he has to play those two with one in behind, coming from the midfield. Some good play today, but pretty toothless up front. We don't have a Scott Allan playing worldly balls through, so, we need 2 in the danger area mixing it. Just my opinion. Thought Henderson was good today. Cabraja looked good as-well. Well done Josh Campbell, saved us from what could have been a same old, same old result.

2. Log in to remove the advert

Cabraja put some real quality crosses in

Melkersen looked good most for the first half out right with some food link up play with Henderson and Cadden.

Both a little quiet second half but Youan has a lot of pace and power! Another day maybe would of put his header in but things will click for him after a few games.

A goal Sunday would be nice.

Thought youan looked good

Baring in mind he’s not played since Portugal really - he is going to be good you can just tell

Thought Melkersen started really well out wide but then naturally started drifting more central as Cadden was going high and wide and thought when that happened he was quiet.

Youan clearly has quality, we just need him on the ball more. The we give and go in the first half and then after the goal was scored the bit of skill he done showed he’s got something. In fairness to him he’s not played loads and I’m not convinced he’s at his best playing against a back 6 pretty much a couple of midfielders sitting right in front of him.

Hoping he’ll be able to really exploit the better teams in the league with the gaps the leave.

Tavares I thought looked quite a bit off it and I think the derby could come to soon for him, I think he’d be found wanting physically and not get the time he wants.

Cabraja looked a class act for me and that’s with zero games before today. Some of his forward passes/crosses were sublime.

Quote Originally Posted by Unseen work View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Thought Melkersen started really well out wide but then naturally started drifting more central as Cadden was going high and wide and thought when that happened he was quiet.

Youan clearly has quality, we just need him on the ball more. The we give and go in the first half and then after the goal was scored the bit of skill he done showed he’s got something. In fairness to him he’s not played loads and I’m not convinced he’s at his best playing against a back 6 pretty much a couple of midfielders sitting right in front of him.

Hoping he’ll be able to really exploit the better teams in the league with the gaps the leave.

Tavares I thought looked quite a bit off it and I think the derby could come to soon for him, I think he’d be found wanting physically and not get the time he wants.

Cabraja looked a class act for me and that’s with zero games before today. Some of his forward passes/crosses were sublime.
    Agreed about Tavares could use some time in the reserves to get up to speed offered very little though you can see he does have talent.

Those two rotating between striker and in behind/midfield, once they have built an understanding, should be good. Melkerson needs to be in the danger area, he has too much guile to have him out wide. He is wasted there.

I agree with Cabjara. Fitted in seamlessly and apart from the rash tackle in the second half he was very good. Looked composed on the ball, strong and put good balls in the box

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by spudhib View Post
    Agreed about Tavares could use some time in the reserves to get up to speed offered very little though you can see he does have talent.
    You think he could be used in behind a striker? Has good touches looks good with the ball im no sure he has enough pace and strength to be out wide, if he’s playing people in instead of trying to dribble I think we’d get much more out of him

Quote Originally Posted by bordergreen View Post
    Those two look like they could be really good together. I didn't get Melkerson and Youan playing, or, rotating out wide. Tavares seemed to be through the middle at times. I know most teams won't play 442, so we are not going to get two strikers up front, but he has to play those two with one in behind, coming from the midfield. Some good play today, but pretty toothless up front. We don't have a Scott Allan playing worldly balls through, so, we need 2 in the danger area mixing it. Just my opinion. Thought Henderson was good today. Cabraja looked good as-well. Well done Josh Campbell, saved us from what could have been a same old, same old result.
    Yeah I see what you mean, I like the way we were set up though but the players all seem quite versatile and im guessing were signed because of that assuming LJ plans to switch to plan B if plan A isn't working etc, like if the way we were today wasn't working then a 532 with two wingbacks and two central midfielders, Cadden would thrive there but already does brilliant and so has Cabraja albeit his first game but definitely lookoed the part.

But yeah if things weren't going our way and we were getting shut out on the fforward flanks could move them to a front two and even though he's played on the left Mcgeady can play behind a front two and would do it well with them infront of him and Kenneh and hopefully Magennis when he's back behind him.

Or do you mean like 442 with wingers? we'd need a central midfielder who's main qualities are driving forward and create a lot of chances while also chipping in with the odd goal. Magennis could do that and it would leave the headache of who to leave out as I think Hendo has been excellent and Mcgeady, but Magennis is still not fit and none of our current central midfielders when played in the middle of the park have looked consistently like that type of player.

I honestly thought we would sign a CB and CM and still hope we are, I heard that Sosa deal was off then on again in the same online paper I think, never had even heard of him though, but I'd never heard of most of the boys we signed, or players in the past like boozy, benji, zemmama, Latapy. Murphy etc, not sure how he played the other night I didn't see the game he was playing in.

I like the way the team was set up today, I just think the front 3 need a bit time to gel properly, all this work permit stuff nowadays put a bit of a spanner in the works for us in that sense, Hendo looks stronger physically which has helped him as he looked a giood player and that has only added more to his game. I think once we gel and hopefully sign another 2 players the formation today would be ok against most teams in the league but can be interchangeable with some good utility players.

Tait and Delfierre weren't even on the bench so im guessing they are going to be loaned out, I think they both look good and maybe Delfierre loaned to a team in the UK to play first team football so he comes back even more ready but I honestly thought Tait was going to making his breakthrough this season, Someone posted on here Edinburgh City wanted him after we offered Delfierre or something. I hope not, he looked sharp and a great wee player who should atleast be on the bench against Norwhich even though is was not their strongest squad, it wasn't ours either when he was on but he looked great and did great for Raith before we signed him to the point the wanted him back.

LJ see's him in training though so there must be some reason, just feel like he hasn't been given a chance at all at us. Sorry I went off topic with Tait there but was hoping he'd be on the bench today.

@hibs.net private member RMQ1967's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Tambo View Post
    Melkersen looked good most for the first half out right with some food link up play with Henderson and Cadden.

Both a little quiet second half but Youan has a lot of pace and power! Another day maybe would of put his header in but things will click for him after a few games.

A goal Sunday would be nice.
    Thought the same second half but they weren't playing it into him. Seemed to me we were more intent on playing it up the wings when Youan was finding pockets of space and making wee runs in behind.

He's got great feet & lay offs but they need to play the ball to him.

Thought Youan looked a little bit off it. Perfectly understandable.

@hibs.net private member JohnM1875's Avatar
    Gamer IDs

PSN ID: johnmac1875
    Quote Originally Posted by Since452 View Post
    Aye he did and you're right. First full run out in the team. Think he'll be a great signing once he's used to playing in this starting XI and system.

Left by mutual consent!
    Quote Originally Posted by Since452 View Post
    Agreed. Thought all 3 were pretty poor today collectively but all 3 had wee flashes of good stuff. Early days and acid test next weekend.

I thought Melkerson started well until his booking and then went quiet. Still young tho.

@hibs.net private member Billy Whizz's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by loanheadhibby View Post
    Agreed. Thought all 3 were pretty poor today collectively but all 3 had wee flashes of good stuff. Early days and acid test next weekend.

I thought Melkerson started well until his booking and then went quiet. Still young tho.
    He’s not a natural out wide for me, he’s a penalty box player

@hibs.net private member Mikey_1875's Avatar
    I didn’t see the games in Portugal so I was expecting a classic number 9 but he seems like he would be better out on the wings and drifting in. He was all over the park today coming deep and wider when at times there were crosses coming in that were screaming for someone to be in the box to poke home. Showed some good touches though and his trickery on the edge of the box after goal was nice.

I think they will be trying all sorts of combinations over our whole front line in the next few games until Johnson finds the right blend. The potential is definitely there though and Melkersen looked sharp as well.

Left by mutual consent!
    Quote Originally Posted by Billy Whizz View Post
    He’s not a natural out wide for me, he’s a penalty box player
    Tend to agree. I’d play both them through the middle and let Jair float about. Jair stepped inside brilliantly in 1st half but he must hit the target at least.