hibs.net Messageboard

Youth Development - 80s compared to now?

It sounds like we have a great set up with plenty promising youngsters in the u18s/ dev squad, which is great. However, we hear this quite frequently, without seeing many making it into the first team.

In the 80s, when we were ***** & skint, the likes of Brian Rice, Paul Kane, John Collins, Gordon Hunter, Mickey Weir, and Calllum Milne (Eddie May and Joe Tortolano were frees from elsewhere, but were local lads who added to that mix), came through and had the character and ability to keep us in the Premier League and, eventually, competing nearer the top end of the table. The financial problems under Duff & Gray arguably stalled the progress of a group of committed, talented young Hibs players (Brian Clough had taken Ricey away, but the rest were still around). There are parallels with the 'Golden Generation' of the 00s.

My concern is that we seem to be signing lots of younger players from other countries, rather than having belief in our own lads to form a nucleus of a future Hibs team, supplemented by experienced professionals. There are plenty on here who regularly watch the 'reserve' teams - my question is, can we have confidence that the first team will see the benefit in the relatively near future?

2. Log in to remove the advert

We were told all the dosh spent on the training facilities would be a game changer for attracting and developing the best, it’s not been and now the view is it’s a nice place for the players to train and to show off to attract new signings.

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by thebausburst View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    We were told all the dosh spent on the training facilities would be a game changer for attracting and developing the best, it’s not been and now the view is it’s a nice place for the players to train and to show off to attract new signings.
    It was never going to happen overnight. FWIW we have three fantastic 16 year olds. Molotnikov especially.

Quote Originally Posted by SideBurns View Post
    It sounds like we have a great set up with plenty promising youngsters in the u18s/ dev squad, which is great. However, we hear this quite frequently, without seeing many making it into the first team.

In the 80s, when we were ***** & skint, the likes of Brian Rice, Paul Kane, John Collins, Gordon Hunter, Mickey Weir, and Calllum Milne (Eddie May and Joe Tortolano were frees from elsewhere, but were local lads who added to that mix), came through and had the character and ability to keep us in the Premier League and, eventually, competing nearer the top end of the table. The financial problems under Duff & Gray arguably stalled the progress of a group of committed, talented young Hibs players (Brian Clough had taken Ricey away, but the rest were still around). There are parallels with the 'Golden Generation' of the 00s.

My concern is that we seem to be signing lots of younger players from other countries, rather than having belief in our own lads to form a nucleus of a future Hibs team, supplemented by experienced professionals. There are plenty on here who regularly watch the 'reserve' teams - my question is, can we have confidence that the first team will see the benefit in the relatively near future?
    Young players tend to get a chance when club is struggling and can`t afford to sign older players or at least that was the case before - players you mention ( Weir etc ) were given their chance at a time when we had financial problems . same happened with Hearts ( Bowman . Mackay , Robertson .. about the same time ) . Times have changed so we are signing young players from further afield ( just as big clubs in England and Spain etc try to where FIFA rules allow ) but we do seem to be giving players who succeeded in Under 18 team last year a chance too . In short term , results may not be great but in a few years I think we`ll see results and with so many young players getting a chance and club obviously giving resources to youth development surely that will help us to sign more promising young players from Scotland and beyond in the coming years .

Quote Originally Posted by IberianHibernian View Post
    Young players tend to get a chance when club is struggling and can`t afford to sign older players or at least that was the case before - players you mention ( Weir etc ) were given their chance at a time when we had financial problems . same happened with Hearts ( Bowman . Mackay , Robertson .. about the same time ) . Times have changed so we are signing young players from further afield ( just as big clubs in England and Spain etc try to where FIFA rules allow ) but we do seem to be giving players who succeeded in Under 18 team last year a chance too . In short term , results may not be great but in a few years I think we`ll see results and with so many young players getting a chance and club obviously giving resources to youth development surely that will help us to sign more promising young players from Scotland and beyond in the coming years .
    Usually under 18 teams i’ve seen in the past , are made up of mabye 3 players that have a chance of playing at a higher standard, and the rest are good players that won’t reach that standard.
    However this season i actually don’t see any weaker players in the team, and they really are a talented bunch, even the subs that came on, have been great.
    Obviously we have qualified for the under 18s champions league, and i was wondering how much money the club would receive if we advance in this competition.
    We beat arsenal last week, so we must have some chance of progressing.

Quote Originally Posted by HIBS NUTS View Post
    Usually under 18 teams i’ve seen in the past , are made up of mabye 3 players that have a chance of playing at a higher standard, and the rest are good players that won’t reach that standard.
    I was once told by a youth dev coach at a then PL club that out of their entire youth section that "one may have a professional career in the Football League, but it won't be here."

When I questioned why they bothered he said "we get paid, the club has to have a youth system."

Quote Originally Posted by Haymaker View Post
    I was once told by a youth dev coach at a then PL club that out of their entire youth section that "one may have a professional career in the Football League, but it won't be here."

When I questioned why they bothered he said "we get paid, the club has to have a youth system."

That's the reality of an academy, selling false dreams that don't exsist. Very few will make it through and it's why i don't think they should be taken out their boys club until 16 onwards. Telling someone they are not good enough or strong enough when they are just starting puberty is ridiculous. I hate to think the amount of players who have been lost to football because of this.

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by andrew70 View Post
    It was never going to happen overnight. FWIW we have three fantastic 16 year olds. Molotnikov especially.
    Is this the guy who signed a few weeks ago?

Quote Originally Posted by King conrad View Post
    That's the reality of an academy, selling false dreams that don't exsist. Very few will make it through and it's why i don't think they should be taken out their boys club until 16 onwards. Telling someone they are not good enough or strong enough when they are just starting puberty is ridiculous. I hate to think the amount of players who have been lost to football because of this.
    A lot.

Quote Originally Posted by Stubbsy90+2 View Post
    Is this the guy who signed a few weeks ago?
    aye RUDI
    i believe

Quote Originally Posted by King conrad View Post
    While I might not be comfortable with your selling false dreams comment, I'm fully in agreement with your view that players should stay with Community clubs till they are older Maybe U16. Tying in with some other comments on the thread its clear that some players are just shirt fillers for the few kids considered to have potential. My boy played Div 1 football throughout age group and a number of released pro youth players looked at coming in the team but in reality weren't and better than the kids already there.