hibs.net Messageboard

View Poll Results: Where will Hibs finish in the league?

Voters
171. You may not vote on this poll
  • 1st

3 1.75%
  • 2nd

2 1.17%
  • 3rd

19 11.11%
  • 4th

26 15.20%
  • 5th

45 26.32%
  • 6th

24 14.04%
  • 7th

18 10.53%
  • 8th

12 7.02%
  • 9th

9 5.26%
  • 10th

8 4.68%
  • 11th

3 1.75%
  • 12th

2 1.17%
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    @hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by Callum_62 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    10 players in for no money spent? Ron's son truly is a genius

Sent from my VOG-L29 using Tapatalk
    There would have been money spent without the sale of Doig though, so I think it’s more than fair to question why that money isn’t being spent. We were told it would be and so far, we’ve not got anywhere near £3m plus what we would have spent had we not sold Doig worth of player in.

The exact same goes for the Boyle money too. Our last two windows have seen us sell £6m of players. Throw in what would be our normal budget for players and there’s no way we’ve seen investment of anywhere near that and unfortunately it shows with the squad we’ve got imo.
    Last edited by Stubbsy90+2; 29-07-2022 at 06:52 AM.

2. Log in to remove the advert

@hibs.net private member Hibernian Verse's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Chorley Hibee View Post

That is unforgivable.
    It's a shame you can't forgive the club. I suppose this is the end for you?

@hibs.net private member offshorehibby's Avatar
    I've went with 4th. I think it will be tight again between 6th and 3rd, hearts only managed 3rd cause everyone else were pants last season. Hibs will come good as the season goes on and players gel. GGTTH
    TOP CASH BACK
    The easy way to make money

Quote Originally Posted by Stubbsy90+2 View Post
    There would have been money spent without the sale of Doig though, so I think it’s more than fair to question why that money isn’t being spent. We were told it would be and so far, we’ve not got anywhere near £3m plus what we would have spent had we not sold Doig worth of player in.
    I highly doubt we got the 3m up front. Transfers are often paid up over time which helps the buying club raise funds and helps the selling club maintain good cash flow.

@hibs.net private member Jones28's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Hibernian Verse View Post
    I highly doubt we got the 3m up front. Transfers are often paid up over time which helps the buying club raise funds and helps the selling club maintain good cash flow.
    RG said as much in his interview.
    "...when Hibs won the Scottish Cup final and that celebration, Sunshine on Leith? I don’t think there’s a better football celebration ever in the game.”

Sir Alex Ferguson

Quote Originally Posted by offshorehibby View Post
    I've went with 4th. I think it will be tight again between 6th and 3rd, hearts only managed 3rd cause everyone else were pants last season. Hibs will come good as the season goes on and players gel. GGTTH
    That's where I'm at mate I think ( hope) they'll struggle with their European games too.

6th at best even on paper the squad looks weak but there might just be enough decent players to get us there.

Doesn't matter which way you look at it though, if fees are paid up over time then surely we pay what we spend on a player up over time? There's over £6m came in since january on player sales alone, we should be making a couple of statement signings tbf, we were promised it would be re invested into the team and this far I don't think it has.

@hibs.net private member
    We didn’t.

We can pay it out in instalments though, much the same way as other teams are doing to us.

Say we’ve received 25% so far, we should be able to spend 25% upfront. We are going to receive 25% end of this season, we can commit to a 25% instalment on a player signed this summer payable next summer.

Likewise with a players contract it’s paid over the course of a number of years so there’s nothing to stop us giving out a large contract based on the money that’s to come in in future instalments.

We don’t need the money in our banks to commit the money to signings. We just need to structure it so that when we’re due the money ties in with when we’re receiving money.

If we’re going to spend the money in the dribs and drabs it’s coming in then it’ll no doubt be spent on a large volume of poorer players rather than a higher volume of good players imo.
    Last edited by Stubbsy90+2; 29-07-2022 at 07:50 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Stubbsy90+2 View Post
    We didn’t.

We can pay it out in instalments though, much the same way as other teams are doing to us.

Say we’ve received 25% so far, we should be able to spend 25% upfront. We are going to receive 25% end of this season, we can commit to a 25% instalment on a player signed this summer payable next summer.

Likewise with a players contract it’s paid over the course of a number of years so there’s nothing to stop us giving out a large contract based on the money that’s to come in in future instalments.

We don’t need the money in our banks to commit the money to signings. We just need to structure it so that when we’re due the money ties in with when we’re receiving money.

If we’re going to spend the money in the dribs and drabs it’s coming in then it’ll no doubt be spent on a large volume of poorer players rather than a higher volume of good players imo.
    We could, but realistically can we afford to re-invest it all in one player smashing our transfer record by over 400%?

You're assuming that 3m players also want to play for Hibs which is the first stumbling block even if we could afford them. If you were that player would you want to join a club that couldn't even qualify for Europe last season and is out one of the cups they can win already?

We need to make incremental progress. The first step to seeing the players you desire in green and white will be qualifying for decent European football like our neighbours. That said, they've not made a marquee signing over 1m either this year.

Quote Originally Posted by Crunchie View Post
    There's that word unforgivable again , that cracks me up .
    Glad that Hibs failing to secure what was required, yet again, cracks you up.

What cracks me up is the blind optimism that this squad of players is good enough to finish 3rd!

Glad that Hibs failing to secure what was required, yet again, cracks you up.

What cracks me up is the blind optimism that this squad of players is good enough to finish 3rd!
    I think he's getting at the hyperbole. You've suggested you won't be back because you can't forgive the club...I don't know you but I'm sure that's not the case!

It's a shame you can't forgive the club. I suppose this is the end for you?
    No, I suspect I'll be here long after Ron Gordon, Ben Kensall, Ian Gordon, Lee Johnson et al have left the building.

They're the ones responsible for building the squad, and, at present, I think they've failed.

So if the season pans out as I suspect, then I won't forgive those resposible for it. It doesn't mean I won't be following the club home and away as usual though.

If I'm wrong, I'll hold my hands up accordingly.

@hibs.net private member
    We could, but realistically can we afford to re-invest it all in one player smashing our transfer record by over 400%?

You're assuming that 3m players also want to play for Hibs which is the first stumbling block even if we could afford them. If you were that player would you want to join a club that couldn't even qualify for Europe last season and is out one of the cups they can win already?

We need to make incremental progress. The first step to seeing the players you desire in green and white will be qualifying for decent European football like our neighbours. That said, they've not made a marquee signing over 1m either this year.
    Sorry, when I said 25% I meant 25% of any outgoing fee, not 25% of the Doig money. I wouldn’t expect us to invest it all into one player.

Nothing to stop us using our £6m (which judging by the players we’ve signed, should be mostly intact and we’ve been told it’s all going to the playing squad) on guys that are costing £700k or so (paid in instalments) or being paid £10k a week (which would be paid over the course of a 3 or 4 year contract). If that gets us 5 players for the 2 we’ve sold who are of a high calibre then that’s the route we should be going down imo. If we just spend it as it comes in then we’ll end up spending the lot on the same standard of players everyone else in the league signs with a huge turnover of them.
    Last edited by Stubbsy90+2; 29-07-2022 at 10:40 AM.

@hibs.net private member Callum_62's Avatar
    Gamer IDs

Wii Code: 0083-4364-6418-4974
    No, I suspect I'll be here long after Ron Gordon, Ben Kensall, Ian Gordon, Lee Johnson et al have left the building.

They're the ones responsible for building the squad, and, at present, I think they've failed.

So if the season pans out as I suspect, then I won't forgive those resposible for it. It doesn't mean I won't be following the club home and away as usual though.

If I'm wrong, I'll hold my hands up accordingly.
    Weve still got a month of the transfer window left and the league campaign hasn't even kicked off yet

Javares, Kenneh have hardly played (2 signings forseen to be big ones)

Cabraja and Youan haven't played (2 fairly expericed players whove been at a decent level)

Thats more than 1/3 of a team

How on earth anyone can say we've failed at this point is beyond my understanding

@hibs.net private member
    How on earth anyone can say we've failed at this point is beyond my understanding
    Because we’re a day away from our first game of the season, knocked out the cup and we’ve failed to address our midfield issues that have plagued us for years now?

Fair enough if you don’t agree with it but I find it hard to believe you can’t understand it.
    Last edited by Stubbsy90+2; 29-07-2022 at 08:51 AM.

@hibs.net private member superfurryhibby's Avatar
    I went for 10th and I fear that's being optimistic.

Team is all over the place, lacking decent personnel in key areas. The midfield is weak, with no drive, creativity. Up front it looks like we will be relying on Doidge and we are in serious need of a centre back. We have been told on here that Hanlon can't be relied upon as a week in, week out player anymore and still not signed a left sided centre back. We have improved the goalkeeper though, which is just as well.

For me that is unforgivable. The Gordon regime will lose all credibility if we stumble our way into crisis this season, which as it stands is very likely.
    Last edited by superfurryhibby; 29-07-2022 at 10:18 AM.

@hibs.net private member WhileTheChief..'s Avatar
    Weve still got a month of the transfer window left and the league campaign hasn't even kicked off yet

Javares, Kenneh have hardly played (2 signings forseen to be big ones)

Cabraja and Youan haven't played (2 fairly expericed players whove been at a decent level)

Thats more than 1/3 of a team

Do you think any of these 4 will start tomorrow? I’d be surprised if they do.

We’ll have Marshall in goals and might get to see Cabraja at left back. Midfield will probably be the same as last year with Doidge and Melkerson up front.

That’s not a whole lot of strengthening really is it? You can at least understand the point I’m making yeah?

@hibs.net private member Callum_62's Avatar
    Gamer IDs

Wii Code: 0083-4364-6418-4974
    Quote Originally Posted by WhileTheChief.. View Post
    Do you think any of these 4 will start tomorrow? I’d be surprised if they do.

We’ll have Marshall in goals and might get to see Cabraja at left back. Midfield will probably be the same as last year with Doidge and Melkerson up front.

That’s not a whole lot of strengthening really is it? You can at least understand the point I’m making yeah?
    I'd be surpised if atleast 2 don't

Cabraja was signed the day after Doig left (WP pending so outwith our control)

Youan was signed ages ago and his work permit took 5 plus weeks to sort (again, outwith our control)

The good thing is I believe Youan has been in the building so should still be fit - not as if he hasn't done a pre season or that

Sent from my VOG-L29 using Tapatalk

First Team Breakthrough
    I don't know why people think the Dons are going to be so good. They've lost their best players and have signed as random an assortment as we have. As for the Arabs, they'll be difficult to beat but boring as anything to watch. We can do better than them. Obviously the JTs are still in pole position for 3rd, but an injury his season like we had last year could see them struggle just like we did.

We could easily finish 3rd if the new signings gel quickly enough.

Having said all that, I voted 5th.

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bushwoof View Post
    I don't know why people think the Dons are going to be so good. They've lost their best players and have signed as random an assortment as we have. As for the Arabs, they'll be difficult to beat but boring as anything to watch. We can do better than them. Obviously the JTs are still in pole position for 3rd, but an injury his season like we had last year could see them struggle just like we did.

They’ve spent about 2M on players ..and seem to be already winning games..seem to have a decent set up this season

Quote Originally Posted by Bushwoof View Post

You may want to take into account that we currently have Hanlon, McGeady, Nisbet, Mitchell and Magennis unavailable for selection due to injury.

We won't be finishing third, never mind finishing third easily.

Think we'll struggle to get into the top six. Will be more than happy to be proved wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by superfurryhibby View Post
    You may want to take into account that we currently have Hanlon, McGeady, Nisbet, Mitchell and Magennis unavailable for selection due to injury.

We won't be finishing third, never mind finishing third easily.
    But does their availability when fit not strengthen the team and therefore increase the chances of a higher finish??!

I went for 8th, but in the light of the McGeady injury I'm saying 9th or 10th ie not quite poor enough to go down.

I went for 10th and I fear that's being optimistic.

Team is all over the place, lacking decent personnel in key areas. The midfield is weak, with no drive, creativity. Up front it looks like we will be relying on Doidge and we are in serious need of a centre back. We have been told on here that Hanlon can't be relied upon as a week in, week out player anymore and still not signed a left sided centre back. We have improved the goalkeeper though, which is just as well.

For me that is unforgivable. The Gordon regime will lose all credibility if we stumble our way into crisis this season, which as it stands is very likely.
    I've lost track of the signings. Have we really not signed a striker?

Agree with most of what you say alas. As you point out, the likes of Hanlon are hardly likely to be game changers when they return.

Quote Originally Posted by Keepthefaith View Post
    But does their availability when fit not strengthen the team and therefore increase the chances of a higher finish??!
    When they are fit is a massive proviso. Nisbet probably won't play much, if any , football this year. McGeady is out and will need recovery time, Hanlon, we have been told by someone close to him, won't be able to play a full season, week in, week out. Magennis, who knows when, if ever, he will play and Mitchell has been out for ages, with setbacks on his recovery. I'm not investing huge hope in them.

Quote Originally Posted by He's here! View Post
    I've lost track of the signings. Have we really not signed a striker?

Agree with most of what you say alas. As you point out, the likes of Hanlon are hardly likely to be game changers when they return.
    We have signed Bojang, a young forward whose football level has been the Gambian League. A huge step up in terms of football culture and intensity for him to come to Hibs.

The only obvious improvement I've seen is in Marshall. He looks like a high quality player, as his pedigree would suggest. The team lacks a left sided centre half, at least one central midfielder and a striker and we kick off this weekend, with a very demanding schedule ahead of us in August.

@hibs.net private member nonshinyfinish's Avatar
    We have signed Bojang, a young forward whose football level has been the Gambian League.
    Bojang was signed from a Gambian club but was playing in Portugal. We've also signed Youan.

We have signed Bojang, a young forward whose football level has been the Gambian League. A huge step up in terms of football culture and intensity for him to come to Hibs.
    As least get it right when you're presenting things like this as fact.

@hibs.net private member
    I think this is really hard to call as we're not sure where Hibs are yet. If forced to make a call, I think Hearts, Aberdeen and Dundee Utd were in a better starting position than us and I've not seen enough to convince me we can overtake them over the course of a season. In particular, I don't think we really have a decent spine which every team needs.

I also think McInnes will have Kilmarnock in a decent shape and might scrape 6th place.

I think there won't be much between Hibs, Livingston, Motherwell and Ross County. I think we could be the best of those but if we are languishing in the bottom 6 and the fans turn then we could plummet. I'll, therefore, say 8th but don't think there will be much between 7th and 10th.

Despite our tough opening fixtures I can see us starting relatively well but have a fear on how we'll cope when it gets cold and the pitches cut up.

Sent from my SM-N960F using Tapatalk