hibs.net Messageboard

Page 5 of 15 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Ron Gordon Q&A

@hibs.net private member BigKev's Avatar
    I enjoyed that. Well done to the guys interviewing RG.

Thought he explained things as well as he could. It’s not rocket science to understand more sponsorship and hospitality sales increases revenue and in turn the playing squad.

He wasn’t happy about last night, like us all and confirmed it’ll be a financial hit because we’ve failed to progress.

Admitting 4th would be a successful season is probably about right. Most reasonable fans would accept it.

Don’t really see what he’s said wrong and it was good to see him answer openly.

Folk nitpicking and reading his answers negatively should just find something else to do on a Saturday. If you want to moan your life away and disbelieve everything others say or turn it into an argument then it says more about you than them.

2. Log in to remove the advert

Quote Originally Posted by Tyler Durden View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Think you need to read his quotes again.

He never said we’d be challenging for the league.
    Alright, one last try then...in quotes below is a straight lift from the article you asked me to find:

"After taking control in a move exclusively revealed by SunSport, the US-based multi-millionaire said: “Getting to the top of the Premiership is a big ask but it is totally an ambition.

“It needs to be an ambition and we should never give up on that ambition.

“It would be great for Scottish football if that happened.”

So your take on that, to quote you from above is: "He never said we'd be challenging for the league".

That interpretation baffles me, so "am oot" for now.

Quote Originally Posted by Coco Bryce View Post
    Optimism vs Realism
    That's a view I suppose.

Gamer IDs

Gamertag: SAKSxCORE PSN ID: SlickShoes
    Quote Originally Posted by Diclonius View Post
    Owner of the club conceding 3rd to Hearts already. ****ing embarrassing.
    Says he wants to challenge the OF, branded as clueless. Realistic aim for finishing 4th, branded embarrassing. He won't win over most of the folk in this thread ever. Some of the stuff people are coming out with is OTT.

Quote Originally Posted by Nitten View Post
    Rubbish, abject blinkered view. RG answered every question fully,never ducked a question and did not waffle in any way. Supporters like you are a joke. The clubs has improved immeasurably but in no way was last night acceptable to rubbish RG is a cheap shot. There was very little in his responses I could disagree with. I know where the waffle is coming from on this thread.
    Aye ok pal. Only joke around here are people like you with your heads in the sand

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by flash View Post
    I could have named the posters who would dismiss everything he says before the interview even took place.
    They are like vacuums sacking every piece of goodwill and optimism out of everything.
    Could also name the posters who would post utter pish like this

There’s something a bit Donald Trump esque about how he responds to some of the questions, that same deflect / not really answer style mixed with things like ‘we’ve hired good people, the best people’ type exaggeration.

An interesting listen, as much for picking out the things he didn’t really answer as the stuff he did.

First Team Breakthrough Leighonel's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Diclonius View Post
    Owner of the club conceding 3rd to Hearts already. ****ing embarrassing.
    Just a hypothetical one...

If he says we will finish third, would you criticise him for being deluded, we need more quality etc to catch hearts?

Not at the wind up just asking.

Also to those taking one sound bite about the canteen and using it as a stick to beat the club...at least be fair and reference that he also mentioned that they have revamped the gym. From what I can see in videos the physio rooms are new, the upstairs in the gym is new. The facilities outside for recording matches for analysis have improved. They have redecorated, what was quite a tired and unenthusiastic environment. Another thing I am aware of is the tech being brought up to date, new laptops, computers etc. There has been obvious developments and money spent there.

Quote Originally Posted by Coco Bryce View Post
    Optimism vs Realism
    It's football and it's Hibs, why can't it be optimism all the time?

Coaching Staff
    And both signed new deals under Gordon’s watch before they were sold.

Again. No credit for anything positive, just criticism.
    Your wasting your time trying to point out the better aspects of R G's tenure, certain "fans" will never be convinced.

Quote Originally Posted by we are hibs View Post
    Could also name the posters who would post utter pish like this

You were on the list funnily enough.

Quote Originally Posted by Scotty Leither View Post
    Alright, one last try then...in quotes below is a straight lift from the article you asked me to find:

"After taking control in a move exclusively revealed by SunSport, the US-based multi-millionaire said: “Getting to the top of the Premiership is a big ask but it is totally an ambition.

“It needs to be an ambition and we should never give up on that ambition.

“It would be great for Scottish football if that happened.”

So your take on that, to quote you from above is: "He never said we'd be challenging for the league".

That interpretation baffles me, so "am oot" for now.

TD’s point is correct, there’s nothing in those quotes that said we’d be challenging for the league. They say we should always have the ambition to do so, not that we’ll be challenging for the league. Nor did he specify a particular season for doing so, although you seem to think we should be aiming for the league title this season.

you're twisting RG’s words just to have a dig

i take it if we finished second by 20 points this year (however unlikely that is), you’d consider it to be a poor season since we didn’t challenge for the title

Quote Originally Posted by Leighonel View Post
    Just a hypothetical one...

If he says we will finish third, would you criticise him for being deluded, we need more quality etc to catch hearts?

Not at the wind up just asking.

Also to those taking one sound bite about the canteen and using it as a stick to beat the club...at least be fair and reference that he also mentioned that they have revamped the gym. From what I can see in videos the physio rooms are new, the upstairs in the gym is new. The facilities outside for recording matches for analysis have improved. They have redecorated, what was quite a tired and unenthusiastic environment. Another thing I am aware of is the tech being brought up to date, new laptops, computers etc. There has been obvious developments and money spent there.
    It's beyond belief that the same people who claim we won't finish top 6 and may even get relegated are now slating him for saying 4th might be where we end up.

Coaching Staff

It's beyond belief that the same people who claim we won't finish top 6 and may even get relegated are now slating him for saying 4th might be where we end up.

exactly! It’s just any excuse (real or manufactured) to have yet another pop at him and the club

Thanks for reminding me why i dont post on this joke of a forum much these days.

Quote Originally Posted by Iain G View Post
    It's football and it's Hibs, why can't it be optimism all the time?
    It's is. Just not in the real world 😊

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by BigKev View Post

Thought he explained things as well as he could. It’s not rocket science to understand more sponsorship and hospitality sales increases revenue and in turn the playing squad.

He wasn’t happy about last night, like us all and confirmed it’ll be a financial hit because we’ve failed to progress.

Admitting 4th would be a successful season is probably about right. Most reasonable fans would accept it.

Folk nitpicking and reading his answers negatively should just find something else to do on a Saturday. If you want to moan your life away and disbelieve everything others say or turn it into an argument then it says more about you than them.
    Agreed.

Enjoyed that well done to all involved.

Wonder who the possible signing is 👀

Agree word for word,some fans need to get real with
    Quote Originally Posted by The Spaceman View Post
    I think everyone is being way too critical and quick to judge here.

You just need to look around our own stadium to see the steady and very positive changes occurring (soon to have massively revamped and improved corporate hospitality as well). Ron Gordon is carefully laying strong revenue-generating foundations which will give us a really strong platform to perform on the park with in the future

Yesterday was a disaster, Falkirk was a disaster and the Bushiri suspension was also a nightmare. It's almost like we shouldn't have sacked Jack Ross when we did, but the majority on here were calling for his head and it more to me looks like a collective case of be careful what you wish for. We as a support have a miraculously low-patience for any form of crisis (our managerial turnaround past 20 years is among the worst in the UK), although given the scarring of the Calderwood, Fenlon and Butcher era I can also get it. Lets just not start hounding our new owners as well who are blatantly invested in making us better.

Let's see where we are at by Christmas with this squad and take it from there.

@hibs.net private member overdrive's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ScottB View Post
    There’s something a bit Donald Trump esque about how he responds to some of the questions, that same deflect / not really answer style mixed with things like ‘we’ve hired good people, the best people’ type exaggeration.

An interesting listen, as much for picking out the things he didn’t really answer as the stuff he did.
    I was going to post the exact same thing about him being a bit Trump-ish. He sounds a bit like him too.

The guy is deluded. He gets very defensive about his son and Kensell.

He seemed amazed fans were worried about the way the club was being run. Seems to love putting the boot into the fans as well. Don’t bite the hand that feeds, Ron.

Quote Originally Posted by McD View Post
    TD’s point is correct, there’s nothing in those quotes that said we’d be challenging for the league. They say we should always have the ambition to do so, not that we’ll be challenging for the league. Nor did he specify a particular season for doing so, although you seem to think we should be aiming for the league title this season.

you're twisting RG’s words just to have a dig

i take it if we finished second by 20 points this year (however unlikely that is), you’d consider it to be a poor season since we didn’t challenge for the title
    No, it's you that's paraphrasing me now (which is what you're accusing me of doing with the owner) who mentioned an ambition of "challenging for the league" when he took over.

Sorry to indulge in semantics, but at no point did I say that Gordon said we'd win the league either when he came in, my point was there was talk of us eventually challenging for the league, to today's latest realignment from him about finishing 4th/5th.

It's you and the other poster that's conflated it onto dancing on a pin about "winning" v "challenging".

If we finish second this year whether it's by one point or twenty, it will be something approaching a miracle with that dire squad, so I'll not be thinking about "what might have been" re a league challenge.

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by overdrive View Post
    I was going to post the exact same thing about him being a bit Trump-ish. He sounds a bit like him too.

The guy is deluded. He gets very defensive about his son and Kensell.

He seemed amazed fans were worried about the way the club was being run. Seems to love putting the boot into the fans as well. Don’t bite the hand that feeds, Ron.
    Where does he put the boot into the fans?

Quote Originally Posted by Dazzling Doidge View Post
    It's done nothing but given him the opportunity to provide soundbites.

He's clueless. There's no malice in his intentions, but he hasn't got a clue how to run a football club, and neither does his CEO or his Head of Recruitment.
    And it would seem given folk the opportunity to misinterpret and misquote what he said to suit their own agenda. Which seems to happen every time he, the CEO, the manager etc say anything.

Spot on
    Quote Originally Posted by BigKev View Post

@hibs.net private member Heisenberg's Avatar
    I’m about halfway through it so far and been enjoying it. Only bit I’ve completely disagreed with was his staunch defence of Kensell, stating how far he’s brought the club in a year while completely ignoring the shambles we’ve been on the park is laughable.

No, it's you that's paraphrasing me now (which is what you're accusing me of doing with the owner) who mentioned an ambition of "challenging for the league" when he took over.

Sorry to indulge in semantics, but at no point did I say that Gordon said we'd win the league either when he came in, my point was there was talk of us eventually challenging for the league, to today's latest realignment from him about finishing 4th/5th.

It's you and the other poster that's conflated it onto dancing on a pin about "winning" v "challenging".

If we finish second this year whether it's by one point or twenty, it will be something approaching a miracle with that dire squad, so I'll not be thinking about "what might have been" re a league challenge.
    Did Ron give an update today to say it was no longer an ambition to win the league?

Case closed 😉

@hibs.net private member

Scotty the guy was giving a statement about his ambitions for hibs, a target, an end goal. Not what he was going to turn us into with 2 transfer windows he’s no running some Saudi pension fund.
    Judging where we are now to an ambition to one day win the league is mental it’s shows an agenda to just dislike/distrust the guy rather than judge him with realistic aims.
    We where a shambles for a fair chunk of the petrie/farmer era it’s not like your used to tasting success, this is the first time RG’s not made a cup semi final and had what 1 shan league campaign?
    We all want a good hibs team, we have the 5th largest budget in the league to compete we need to find an extra trick or 2 some will work some won’t

I've just watched it.

Not that easy a listen when you're a bit pissed off.

1st off - fair play to him for coming on and saying his piece, it would have been easy to hide. If things do get worse in future i can't help but think he might be better calling off rather than coming out and speaking as he is in a bit of a no win situation. There's nothing he can say will placate some.

As ever, he speaks well. Talk is cheap though. It's simple - if the team on the pitch is good, we'll hang on his every word. When the team is crap (which it is right now) then he'll be slaughtered for everything he says. There are a few bits and pieces I disagree with but I respect the fact that he's confident, believes many of the decisions that he has made have been good ones.

There's a nagging bit of me that needs and wants to be patient. I think that team looks very different with some changes, exactly the ones we seem to be targeting. Youan transforms that front line imo. We need to get the centre of that defence sorted. Maybe the middle of that midfield just needs one of them taken out and replaced with someone/ something else.

It just feels a bit too much like last summer for my liking. There's the core of a team that needs added to and you know what needs to be done. It didn't happen then though, it didn't happen in January and I have little confidence we'll get it done this window. I think we're going to be light in key positions AGAIN, I think we're going to scrambling around for late bargains AGAIN and I think we're going to be desperately lacking in depth AGAIN.

I might have a day out at hospitality at some point to see if I can notice all this progress we're making because it's still quite hard to see any progress on the park.
    Last edited by Smartie; 21-07-2022 at 08:58 PM.

@hibs.net private member overdrive's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Dmas View Post
    Where does he put the boot into the fans?
    He sarcastically calls the fans that are giving criticism “really good fans”, he then says a lot of fans aren’t getting behind the club. In isolation they probably don’t sound like sticking the boot in too much but along with his comments about the fans being his biggest disappointment about the club when LJ was appointed, it isn’t great.

Did Ron give an update today to say it was no longer an ambition to win the league?

Case closed 😉
    Don't know, but he might have used the word "challenge".

I think.