hibs.net Messageboard

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Don't rate him highly myself - he has to show more drive and commitment going forward this season - he is still with us, so you have to hope he will have a good season - bit like Campbell for me, he too really has to up his game massively on a regular basis ...

2. Log in to remove the advert

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by PeeJay View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Don't rate him highly myself - he has to show more drive and commitment going forward this season - he is still with us, so you have to hope he will have a good season - bit like Campbell for me, he too really has to up his game massively on a regular basis ...
    Players can’t just do what they want on the park - He’s been following manager instructions …playing the role he has been given . If LJ wants him driving forward - I’m sure we will see that more

Quote Originally Posted by bigwheel View Post
    Players can’t just do what they want on the park - He’s been following manager instructions …playing the role he has been given . If LJ wants him driving forward - I’m sure we will see that more
    Exactly. I do wonder what some fans think players do in games. Do you think him and Newell just decided to be much more defensive? Some of the comments on the main board are laughable these days. People are just desperate to put players down but it’s ok as it’s just their “opinion” JDH is a good player with a big future for us.

Quote Originally Posted by BILLYHIBS View Post
    Started well with St Mirren …faded

Started well with us ….faded

Let’s see what happens

Fingers crossed

At least he now moving the ball forward
    Surely quite a standard pattern for a young player. Not saying I think JDH is going to be a huge star for us, just that the promise shown is enough to suggest that there is something to build on there as he further develops.

I personally wonder if the expectation to boss games from deep for a club like Hibs was a bit much responsibility for a young guy over the course of a long season in which we were riddled with injuries and a lack of cohesion. I may be wrong but I don't think there are many guys in their early 20s doing that consistently in our league. My initial thought was Ali McCann and he was picked off almost immediately. As someone suggested above, perhaps LJ is freeing JDH up a bit more to express himself and this will help him to flourish.

@hibs.net private member BILLYHIBS's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by patlowe View Post
    Surely quite a standard pattern for a young player. Not saying I think JDH is going to be a huge star for us, just that the promise shown is enough to suggest that there is something to build on there as he further develops.

I personally wonder if the expectation to boss games from deep for a club like Hibs was a bit much responsibility for a young guy over the course of a long season in which we were riddled with injuries and a lack of cohesion. I may be wrong but I don't think there are many guys in their early 20s doing that consistently in our league. My initial thought was Ali McCann and he was picked off almost immediately. As someone suggested above, perhaps LJ is freeing JDH up a bit more to express himself and this will help him to flourish.
    Agree but have to take account of other outside contingencies such as covid loss of form consistency and confidence and playing under restrictive instructions

Fresh start new season things looking positive so far under LJ

Hopefully JDH will flourish in a new more advanced role

Onwards and upwards

@hibs.net private member Golden Bear's Avatar
    Agree but have to take account of other outside contingencies such as covid loss of form consistency and confidence and playing under restrictive instructions

Fresh start new season things looking positive so far under LJ

Hopefully JDH will flourish in a new more advanced role

Onwards and upwards
    I agree.

Early last season Jake looked to be an outstanding signing and at that stage of the proceedings he was being played in a more advanced role. As the season progressed, he was asked to play in a deeper role and his form and confidence suffered - along with many of his teammates. I'd rather have him in the team than Joe Newell and based on last season's evidence it's difficult to accommodate both of them. The new Manager may think otherwise however.

@hibs.net private member
    Hope JDH starts tonight again tonight with NK behind him again. Another assist incoming for me.

Quote Originally Posted by bigwheel View Post
    Seriously? IMO, he doesn't do enough going forward with the ball - often, last season, when we were trailing and he kept going sideways or passing backwards, did you really think he was doing what the manager told him?

Doesn't really matter, hope he proves me wrong this season and has a good one, after all, it's in the interest of the team.

Seriously? IMO, he doesn't do enough going forward with the ball - often, last season, when we were trailing and he kept going sideways or passing backwards, did you really think he was doing what the manager told him?

Doesn't really matter, hope he proves me wrong this season and has a good one, after all, it's in the interest of the team.
    Yes - he was doing what he was told to do. Otherwise they'd have dropped him. I think we can all agree that we sleepwalked into a very pedestrian way of playing football once Boyle left. No risk and always safe or back.

Well yeah. Maloneys style was clearly keep the ball at all costs and play safe passes. A lack of movement in the final third was a big problem for us so if there wasn't an option in front the ball wasn't going to go in that direction

Think the truth lies somewhere in the middle, as is generally the case IMO.

The poor form of the players can’t solely be blamed on Maloney. The way he wanted to play was definitely a factor but the players could have still been more progressive within that for me.

@hibs.net private member Northernhibee's Avatar
    Should say that for the same reasons as I outlined for JDH, I’m keen to see more of Josh Campbell too. Think he’s had a good pre season so far.

Do you think your security can keep you in purity, you will not shake us off above or below. Scottish friction, Scottish fiction

Quote Originally Posted by Brightside View Post
    Yes - he was doing what he was told to do. Otherwise they'd have dropped him. I think we can all agree that we sleepwalked into a very pedestrian way of playing football once Boyle left. No risk and always safe or back.
    As I said, we will see how it pans out ...

I'm convinced that JDH and Campbell are good players, hoping that last year's poor form was more down to poor team structure and managerial direction than poor players. A clean slate from me.

I was actually quite impressed by Campbell on Saturday - he was certainly more offensive with his forward runs which is something we missed last season.

JDH was trying the find more space in midfield and was attempting the crossfield ball to the strikers a lot. Yes, he did have some backward passes too.

They need competition to keep them on their toes, so I'm hoping our midfield is more dynamic and skillful this season.

Gamer IDs

PSN ID: Sheggs84
    After the first half the jury is still very much out

Contract should never have been extended.

JDH found his level vs clyde

Don't mistake that one game performance for a good player

Jdh and newell can gtf now

@hibs.net private member BILLYHIBS's Avatar
    Dud!

Left by mutual consent!
    Dud!
    Campbell, JDH and Newell are all duds.
    Why do I get shot down for stating this.
    They are miles away from what we need.

First Team Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by loanheadhibby View Post
    Campbell, JDH and Newell are all duds.
    Why do I get shot down for stating this.
    They are miles away from what we need.
    Nah you are spot on.

Not got the mentality to play at the level we need. 5 mins to go and he was hiding when could easily received a throw in on the half way line.

Interestingly, while watching Wimbledon the commentator mentioned that all the players on tour are great players on their day, but it’s the ones that can apply consistency that make a success off it. Ones that have that mental strength to apply their self week in week out.

Same could be said about half our team.

In football you sometimes get the opposite, not as good players with perhaps not the most ability in the team. But have the mentality to play in a team week in week out.

I am sorry but i just don't rate JDH, he is too lightweight and not direct enough or forward thinking enough to impact the midfield.

Paired with Campbell its a very poor midfield and easily dominated, as witnessed last season.

Contract extension soon probably

Quote Originally Posted by Golden Bear View Post
    JDH is a class act and he'll go to prove it this season.
    Well he is going about it in a surprisingly stupid way, because right now he looks like a little boy lost !

If I saw either Joe Newell or JDH's name on the team sheet I'd be far more likely to predict a woeful team performance from the Joe Newell team.

If the pair of them were in it together I'd think it highly likely.

JDH just strikes me as being the more likely of the 2 to find his place in a cohesive and competitive midfield unit.

Worryingly, I don't think we're much (any?) closer to fixing the midfield problem and it was one of our biggest issues last season.

I'm back to hoping this Croatian lad comes in to play LB so we can get Lewis into the middle. Lewis (or Kenneh) JDH and Henderson is probably the best we can do with what we have currently.

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by Smartie View Post
    If I saw either Joe Newell or JDH's name on the team sheet I'd be far more likely to predict a woeful team performance from the Joe Newell team.

JDH just strikes me as being the more likely of the 2 to find his place in a cohesive and competitive midfield unit.

Worryingly, I don't think we're much (any?) closer to fixing the midfield problem and it was one of our biggest issues last season.

I'm back to hoping this Croatian lad comes in to play LB so we can get Lewis into the middle. Lewis (or Kenneh) JDH and Henderson is probably the best we can do with what we have currently.
    We’re not any closer to fixing it imo.

We’ve added another midfielder who looks like he’ll be nothing but defensive (which isn’t a criticism of Kenneh) and kept 3 players who offer nothing in an attacking sense.

The centre of our midfield will be every bit as bad as last season without some new additions.

Quote Originally Posted by Smartie View Post

The mere fact you suggest Stevenson in midfield is the way forward shows how bad our midfield options currently are.

Quote Originally Posted by Stubbsy90+2 View Post
    We’re not any closer to fixing it imo.

We’ve added another midfielder who looks like he’ll be nothing but defensive (which isn’t a criticism of Kenneh) and kept 3 players who offer nothing in an attacking sense.

The centre of our midfield will be every bit as bad as last season without some new additions.
    It's a bit concerning (although not remotely surprising) that there's not been any sign of Magennis.

He brought something different out of Newell and JDH last season.

I'm loathe to write any of them off as a result but that 3 from last night certainly don't cut it together and never will.

@hibs.net private member
    The Jake Doyle-Hayes progress that signals Hibs are finally dealing with midfield issues

From the EEN

https://www.edinburghnews.scotsman.c...issues-4073898