hibs.net Messageboard

Page 3 of 21 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Shrekko View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Ok, so 1 team, (the most successful) gets 3-5k. That's kind of backing up what i said.

I'm in no way anti-women's football but can't see how it's "daft" to suggest smaller pitches, much as I knew I'd get someone saying that. I'm not talking about 5 a side size, just something that reflects the slight physical disadvantages (for want of a better word) that woman have to men in terms of football and something that showcases the great skill and touch a lot of female players undoubtedly have.

Take your point on golf (although i'm guessing a lot of woman will prefer the ladies tees), but you've totally ignored the cricket thing which is just in line with what I'm suggesting for football.
    I’ve no idea about cricket tbh. Never watch it. I’d imagine they bring the 6 line in a bit? As women may struggle to hit it that far to the same level as men? There isn’t a women at the top level of football though that can’t kick the ball from one wing to the other. So I don’t see any reason to change the pitch size. The goal size thing is interesting but the positive of that is it should bring in more goals. Something we all want in football. If women aren’t asking to change the pitch why should we have any say?

2. Log in to remove the advert

Quote Originally Posted by Stubbsy90+2 View Post
    Hope Solo who is one of the most succesful female footballers of all time suggested smaller pitches and goals as well so it’s not just ‘dinosaur men’ suggesting it and it’s not a daft suggestion in the slightest.
    No she didn’t. She took huge offence when asked the question again and again on the eve of every tournament. And her answer said we may as well make all the pitches smaller too if we are to accept that women can’t manage playing on the same size pitch. She called out the blatant sexism of the argument. Women who run womens football should decide the parameters of their own game.

Quote Originally Posted by Brightside View Post
    I’ve no idea about cricket tbh. Never watch it. I’d imagine they bring the 6 line in a bit? As women may struggle to hit it that far to the same level as men? There isn’t a women at the top level of football though that can’t kick the ball from one wing to the other. So I don’t see any reason to change the pitch size. The goal size thing is interesting but the positive of that is it should bring in more goals. Something we all want in football. If women aren’t asking to change the pitch why should we have any say?
    Not asking to have a say, and it's really sad that this could even be considered "sexism".

Lots of sport are evolving to adapt to what the public find more watchable, and to me it would make it better. I'm happy if people like it as it is now though.

Quote Originally Posted by Shrekko View Post
    Not asking to have a say, and it's really sad that this could even be considered "sexism".

Lots of sport are evolving to adapt to what the public find more watchable, and to me it would make it better. I'm happy if people like it as it is now though.
    Which part of making a pitch smaller make womens football more watchable. That's my question. I just can;t think of anything around pitch dimensions that would make any difference.

@hibs.net private member
    No she didn’t. She took huge offence when asked the question again and again on the eve of every tournament. And her answer said we may as well make all the pitches smaller too if we are to accept that women can’t manage playing on the same size pitch. She called out the blatant sexism of the argument. Women who run womens football should decide the parameters of their own game.
    She definitely did say it but given her views on it I can only presume it was said in jest. I remember listening to it but I wasn’t paying all that much attention to have realised the context.

@hibs.net private member Lancs Harp's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by GreenCastle View Post
    Usually the better teams end up still in the tournament towards the end so surely the quality will improve ?
    Tournament football. The only thing that matters about the group stage is getting out of it.

Norway tonight should be decent. All great athletes.

Coaching Staff
    Expected N. Ireland to be in a green strip, but look like Germany 🤔

Could be a truck load. Body shape of the Ireland DM was awful for that pass.

Norway are a good side but Northern Ireland look really poor so far.

Engen Norway number 7 that players for Barcelona is a very good player. I wanted Man Utd to sign her when she was at Wolfsburg prior to moving to Barca but as usual they missed the boat.

Hederberg Norway 14 is the lyon player who's won the ballon dor. She's also excellent. They've got a few players that play in England for various teams too.

Sent from my SM-G991B using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Just_Jimmy View Post
    Norway are a good side but Northern Ireland look really poor so far.

Engen Norway number 7 that players for Barcelona is a very good player. I wanted Man Utd to sign her when she was at Wolfsburg prior to moving to Barca but as usual they missed the boat.

Hederberg Norway 14 is the lyon player who's won the ballon dor. She's also excellent. They've got a few players that play in England for various teams too.

Yeh Ireland will be the whipping team tbh. Going to end up camped in the whole game.

Yeh Ireland will be the whipping team tbh. Going to end up camped in the whole game.
    It's the one thing that's disappointing, in that only 16 teams qualify, it shouldn't be that anyone is the whipping team.

Thing is, there’s 14cm of a difference between the average man and the average woman. There’s a 7cm difference between men of yesteryear and now.

Whilst the argument that mens football should potentially make the goals bigger as men have got bigger could have some merit (and I wouldn’t be all that surprised to see it happen over the next 50 years or so), it doesn’t have nearly as much merit as changing the goals in the womens game as the difference in the numbers we’re talking about in both situations are wildly different.
    So in that case, any decrease in the size of women's goals, should at the same time see an increase of men's goals by 50% of the reduction level.

Or maybe we should just stop trying to compare both games?

For one thing a top tier keeper in the women's game is unlikely to have had the same access, opportunities, resources and journey as their male counterpart.

The atmosphere sounds like a Soccer Aid game.

Quote Originally Posted by Since452 View Post
    Women's games tend to be more family affairs, less tribalism, certainly less pissed folk etc. so that would explain the difference. Although they are still great atmospheres.

Family friendly, loads of kids and a lot less poisonous.

Norway have played some excellent stuff tonight.

Noticeable in the 2 games so far there has barely been one bad challenge. Thought Kenny Shiels might have had Northern Ireland being a bit more cynical to try and level the playing field!

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by hibby rae View Post
    So in that case, any decrease in the size of women's goals, should at the same time see an increase of men's goals by 50% of the reduction level.

Or maybe we should just stop trying to compare both games?

For one thing a top tier keeper in the women's game is unlikely to have had the same access, opportunities, resources and journey as their male counterpart.
    You could argue that, absolutely. Or you could argue that the time to change the goals in the mens goals will be when the goalies are far too difficult to beat much in the same way the womens goals could potentially be changed right now as the goalies are really to easy to beat.

The goal dimensions can’t change constantly, it’s not feasible. Men probably aren’t at the stage yet where the size of the goals aren’t suitable but they may be in 50 years or so. As it stands we still see goals in the mens game from all sorts of positions and distances with incredible skill and power from the attacking players. When that dries up because the goalies are too big for the goals then it’ll be time to consider a change.

It’s a lot easier to argue that woman are currently at that stage. Some of the goals you see going in are simply because the goalies have next to no chance of reaching it rather than because of some incredible feat of skill or power.

what did you expect?

You could argue that, absolutely. Or you could argue that the time to change the goals in the mens goals will be when the goalies are far too difficult to beat much in the same way the womens goals could potentially be changed right now as the goalies are really to easy to beat.

The goal dimensions can’t change constantly, it’s not feasible. Men probably aren’t at the stage yet where the size of the goals aren’t suitable but they may be in 50 years or so. As it stands we still see goals in the mens game from all sorts of positions and distances with incredible skill and power from the attacking players. When that dries up because the goalies are too big for the goals then it’ll be time to consider a change.

It’s a lot easier to argue that woman are currently at that stage. Some of the goals you see going in are simply because the goalies have next to no chance of reaching it rather than because of some incredible feat of skill or power.
    The goal dimensions have never changed, and men's sizes have over a 150 year period. So if it has to change for anyone, it should be them really.

Women's football was massive one hundred years ago, and I'm willing to bet there wasn't a suggestion to change sizes for them then.

Andy Goram was only 5'9', how often did he lose a goal and folk said it was because he wasn't tall enough to get it? Yet to many, he's the best keeper to ever play for the club and country.

The goal dimensions have never changed, and men's sizes have over a 150 year period. So if it has to change for anyone, it should be them really.

Women's football was massive one hundred years ago, and I'm willing to bet there wasn't a suggestion to change sizes for them then.

Andy Goram was only 5'9', how often did he lose a goal and folk said it was because he wasn't tall enough to get it? Yet to many, he's the best keeper to ever play for the club and country.
    Goram wasn't massive but he wasn't 5 ft 9.

He was 1.81m. That's 71 inches - or 5ft 11.

Needs a bit of sectarian singing perhaps. Don’t worry the latest old firm games had that with only a few hundred there. I’m constantly amazed of the reasoning for not enjoying it. Just don’t watch it. 👍

That’s my main issue (for want of a better word) with woman’s football, it’s all family friendly and sanitised. Not my thing, but do understand people enjoying it. I’m not interested but I’m not going to sit here and slag it off, hope everyone that wants to enjoys the tournament and hopefully England are pumped out ASAP.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It’s not for you tbh. Stick to slating the means team.

Why? Because he doesn’t think woman’s football is absolutely perfect? Away and *****, folk are allowed to have an opinion on things

@hibs.net private member
    You really don’t like people having any sort of opinion on anything do you?

You have an absolute melt down any time anyone has an opinion that isn’t aligned to yours.

Also, what’s this thread got to do with the mens team? I’m presuming you’re meaning Hibs mens team but you’re the only one that’s posted anything that could be construed as negative towards Hibs on this thread so I’m really not sure what your point is..
    Last edited by Stubbsy90+2; 08-07-2022 at 07:55 AM.

@hibs.net private member

The goal dimensions haven’t changed. They don’t need to currently change for the men though as they’re clearly suitable for the men still. Goals don’t go in simply because the goalie can’t reach the top corners in the mens game. Likewise goals don’t not go in because the goalies are so big that they can reach every area of the goal at a canter.

Mens football is also the most popular sport in the world. That would suggest that generally speaking people are more than happy with the way it is just now.

That isn’t the case in womens football though. A lot of goals go in simply because the goalies are too small to get to it and can’t cover the goals. It’s also nowhere near as popular as a lot of mens sports. With that in mind, that would suggest some changes may need to be made, much the same as they have been in other sports - the likes of tennis is different for women at the grand slams and it’s one of the most popular womens sports in the world played at a very high standard.

Making slight alterations to potentially improve the product doesn’t need to be big and bad (or hilariously as suggested, sexist )

And Andy Goram wasn’t 5ft9.
    Last edited by Stubbsy90+2; 08-07-2022 at 08:08 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by ErinGoBraghHFC View Post
    Why? Because he doesn’t think woman’s football is absolutely perfect? Away and *****, folk are allowed to have an opinion on things

Not when it’s sexist claptrap with no foundation.

@hibs.net private member
    Not when it’s sexist claptrap with no foundation.
    That’s an extremely serious and damning accusation right there. Not something that should be taken lightly if you’re going to be making public accusations of the like.

Any evidence of this sexism?
    Last edited by Stubbsy90+2; 08-07-2022 at 08:16 AM.

That’s an extremely serious and damning accusation right there. Not one to be taken lightly if you’re going to be making public accusations of the like.

Any evidence of this?
    I apologise. Let’s just agree on uneducated claptrap and leave it at that. You made many points that I’ve pointed are factually wrong. But it’s totally pointless my continuing the debate as it just keeps it going and does neither of us any favours. Men do not get to decide on what women do anymore. Btw. They aren’t ladies tees. That’s another outdated sexist term. Most decent women golfers don’t play off them.