hibs.net Messageboard

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Blog Entries
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: franck sauzee
    Quote Originally Posted by B.H.F.C View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Think the Stubbs example shows the importance of a ‘big’ result for a manager.

We were toiling big time then, out of nowhere, found ourselves 3-0 up at Ibrox after about half an hour one night. Our form was still a bit up and down at times but that gave a bit of belief. Then even towards the end of that season we beat Hearts at ER and, even though it didn’t really count for much, it was another thing that gave a bit of belief. For all that folk say it’s all about results, I remember the crowd clapping them off at the end of the Play Off against Rangers at ER even though it meant another season in the Championship. Think if folk genuinely feel something is going in the right direction, they’ll support it.

Guess what I’m trying to say is it would be really helpful for LJ, and us, if we could just beat Hearts at the start of August. Would be massive IMO as we need something that is going to unite support and players a bit again.
    We talked about your last paragraph on the podcast this week, it really is a massive game for Johnson. i don’t think a defeat would be catastrophic but it would be a significant setback, whereas a win would be absolutely massive for him and the club, which could really build momentum and set us up for the season.
    Follow the Hibs podcast, Longbangers, on Twitter (@longbangers)
    https://longbangers.hubwave.net

2. Log in to remove the advert

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by RyeSloan View Post
    He was quoted as saying he’ll need 3 or 4 windows before he really has the team he wants…I dearly hope his teams are good enough in the interim for him to get that chance!

All positive from me so far though, the prospect of watching a Hibs team that actually is entertaining to watch is the only metric required for that just now…we’ll move that bar up soon enough though but for starters some fun n goals is the aim.
    3 to 4 windows??? He won’t get that long. If we aren’t challenging after a couple of windows, he’ll be out the door……… not necessarily my opinion but a likely Hibernian trait. Bottom line, Lee. Get out the traps early and don’t expect a leisurely season or two to find your feet.

Blog Entries
    Gamer IDs

Quote Originally Posted by Jim44 View Post
    3 to 4 windows??? He won’t get that long. If we aren’t challenging after a couple of windows, he’ll be out the door……… not necessarily my opinion but a likely Hibernian trait. Bottom line, Lee. Get out the traps early and don’t expect a leisurely season or two to find your feet.
    I don't think he meant he would need that to perform, he meant to shape the squad exactly how he wanted it with his own players.

Quote Originally Posted by matty_f View Post
    We talked about your last paragraph on the podcast this week, it really is a massive game for Johnson. i don’t think a defeat would be catastrophic but it would be a significant setback, whereas a win would be absolutely massive for him and the club, which could really build momentum and set us up for the season.
    We’ll take a big crowd up to Perth first game of the season. And irrespective of the result there, ER will be a sell out for the Derby. The support will be there to start with, we really need to see something we can get behind early doors. We’d still have plenty opportunity to recover from a poor start but with the current mood, a good start is really important.

Blog Entries
    Gamer IDs

We’ll take a big crowd up to Perth first game of the season. And irrespective of the result there, ER will be a sell out for the Derby. The support will be there to start with, we really need to see something we can get behind early doors. We’d still have plenty opportunity to recover from a poor start but with the current mood, a good start is really important.
    Totally agree.

First Team Breakthrough
    Bad start at Perth and against Herats and the media will have great delight in lighting the torch paper on Lee.

@hibs.net private member ian cruise's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by blackpoolhibs View Post
    Never gonna happen, christ we were having folk slitting their wrists when Lennon had us 2nd and winning in Europe, and Ross getting to cup finals and 3rd place.

If we are struggling around mid table at xmas, he will be hounded like the others.
    While I don't disagree with the first part of your comment I'm not sure the second part is a guarantee.

If a Hibs team is playing attractive football you're definitely given some leeway, if you're playing pragmatic, safe style with no flair or panache then you need the results.

Unfortunately Ross struggled with the latter so when a result didn't go his way, some were ready to pounce. If the style Johnson played with other teams is what he brings to Hibs he should get a little more rebuilding time.

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by Slim Shady View Post
    Bad start at Perth and against Herats and the media will have great delight in lighting the torch paper on Lee.
    Then it should be well ignored.

LJ is going to have a sticky spell, that’s beyond doubt but I feel the difference in him could be how the players are performing. Latterly under Ross, majority under Maloney & continued into Gray the players just didn’t seem that arsed. Weren’t busting a gut to make a block or trying a risky pass. It was all very safe and laboured.

I’m fairly confident that given Johnson’s track record we’ll win more than we’ll lose and we’ll do it in a way that excites and enthuses the support.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Slim Shady View Post
    Don't think it'll be just the media. Some on .net will also be the same.

However, IMO he's being set up to fail if we continue our current recruitment policy. It's all very good if our young recruits excel and we go on to have a good season, but surely we need some reliable good solid pros now. Like many, I'm excited by some of our young recruits, but what happens if they disappoint.

@hibs.net private member Dalianwanda's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by theonlywayisup View Post
    Don't think it'll be just the media. Some on .net will also be the same.

However, IMO he's being set up to fail if we continue our current recruitment policy. It's all very good if our young recruits excel and we go on to have a good season, but surely we need some reliable good solid pros now. Like many, I'm excited by some of our young recruits, but what happens if they disappoint.
    We could say that about some of the 'good solid pros' weve signed over the years, many a disappointment. I do get why folk are looking for experience but we do have it there already, I also think there will be more to come in. I like what Ive heard from LJ and have high hopes that he's going to get the best from our players & put out a team that will get pulses racing (oh please god)....

Anybody know if he is going to be living up here ?

Hes packing a bit of paunch - like me - but satrorially seems to be doing pretty well. Good hair / beard look. Has a stripey sports jacket though that could usefully spend more time in the wardrobe.

Quote Originally Posted by Betty Boop View Post
    Anybody know if he is going to be living up here ?
    He said in an interview he's going to commit to the club and local area so he's definitely putting everything in to it

@hibs.net private member
    I think it's interesting that LJ's dad is also a manager. That doesn't happen often. Anyone think that bestows any advantage on a young manager?

@hibs.net private member
    Highlights of when Leeds (hecky manager) played Bristol City (LJ manager) were on sky sports football last night. Managed to see the game upto 2-2, one thing I noticed Bristol City were taking throw ins and launching them into the box, which resulted into two goals.

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by Greencore View Post
    Highlights of when Leeds (hecky manager) played Bristol City (LJ manager) were on sky sports football last night. Managed to see the game upto 2-2, one thing I noticed Bristol City were taking throw ins and launching them into the box, which resulted into two goals.
    I’m sure they had a 6’6” centre half though - name escapes me.

Quote Originally Posted by H18 SFR View Post
    I’m sure they had a 6’6” centre half though - name escapes me.
    Was that Aden Flint?

He was an absolute monster at corners the time I saw Bristol City play, scored one and caused havoc the rest of the time.

Didn’t think he was quite 6 ft 6 but was certainly a physical presence.

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by Smartie View Post
    Was that Aden Flint?

He was an absolute monster at corners the time I saw Bristol City play, scored one and caused havoc the rest of the time.

Yeah that’s him. They played off him at every set piece.

Quote Originally Posted by Greencore View Post
    Better not start that nonsense up here

I only want liquid football on the deck, the hibs way.

Kidding

If it’s effective, go for it

Quote Originally Posted by ian cruise View Post
    While I don't disagree with the first part of your comment I'm not sure the second part is a guarantee.

If a Hibs team is playing attractive football you're definitely given some leeway, if you're playing pragmatic, safe style with no flair or panache then you need the results.

Unfortunately Ross struggled with the latter so when a result didn't go his way, some were ready to pounce. If the style Johnson played with other teams is what he brings to Hibs he should get a little more rebuilding time.
    Yeah totally agree. If Ross had been playing attractive football there’s no way he’d have been binned when he was.

@hibs.net private member JimBHibees's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by basehibby View Post
    I think it's interesting that LJ's dad is also a manager. That doesn't happen often. Anyone think that bestows any advantage on a young manager?
    Definitely would I would have thought will provide a level of experience and knowledge a young manager could only dream of plus an honest sounding board.. Gary Johnson always seemed like a decent guy also and was successful at a number of clubs in English lower leagues predominantly. Think he did well at Yeovil for a number of years

@hibs.net private member JimBHibees's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Smartie View Post
    Was that Aden Flint?

I was hoping we would be in for him as he was out of contract at the end of the season but signed for Stoke. Wonder if we have any chance of signing Bailey Wright centre half who was at Sunderland with LJ and out of contract. Australian international

@hibs.net private member Stevie Reid's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by JimBHibees View Post
    Definitely would I would have thought will provide a level of experience and knowledge a young manager could only dream of plus an honest sounding board.. Gary Johnson always seemed like a decent guy also and was successful at a number of clubs in English lower leagues predominantly. Think he did well at Yeovil for a number of years
    Think his Dad took Yeovil from the Conference to League One and then Bristol City from League One to the Championship playoff final in three years. Bit of a legend at both clubs I think.

@hibs.net private member Northernhibee's Avatar
    I have to say that the more I hear the more I'm really excited for the new season, I feel bad for doubting him and preferring some of the other names on the candidates list above him. Sounds like a really decent and dedicated guy.

Do you think your security can keep you in purity, you will not shake us off above or below. Scottish friction, Scottish fiction

@hibs.net private member Callum_62's Avatar
    Gamer IDs

Wii Code: 0083-4364-6418-4974
    Our manager on our head of recruitment

Sent from my VOG-L29 using Tapatalk

If we sign any more kids his first priority is gonna be a PVG certificate.

He seems to have a pretty mixed record, which makes him on a par with probably 95% of managers who have been around for more than 5 minutes. As I said on another thread, what I do like is his stated philosophy that he would rather play to get two wins and a defeat in every three games than one win and two draws, I can't understand why more managers don't have that attitude to be honest, better 6 points out of every 9 than 5. No doubt it's high risk though, coz if it turns into one win and two defeats in every three it's ta ta Lee.

IMO he's been a bit unfortunate landing a derby for the second game of the season, I'm sure he would have preferred at least 6 league games under his belt before taking on the manky mob, especially when it's followed shortly after by a visit to Ibrox ...... having said that, if he can win it his stock with the fans will be high and it will give his players a lift for the games to come.

Lets hope it works out for him, in all honesty as things stand just now I can hardly recall a lead up to a season where I was so bereft of any idea as to how it was likely to work out.

Lee David Johnson (officially unofficial thread for updates on our manager)

Mate of mine met LJ in Indigo Yard last night, enjoying a few G&T’s. Said he is a lovely guy who was more than happy to talk about hibs with whoever wanted to.

Apparently he is especially excited by Tavarez, and can’t believe we managed to sign him.

https://trib.al/7MVdoHs

Nisbet and the players seem impressed and excited

Quote Originally Posted by Northernhibee View Post
    I have to say that the more I hear the more I'm really excited for the new season, I feel bad for doubting him and preferring some of the other names on the candidates list above him. Sounds like a really decent and dedicated guy.
    I was the same initially then the more i listened to him and more i read, the more i started to get really excited. You can see excactly why he was appointed. His enthusiasm is infectious.

@hibs.net private member ian cruise's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by NAE NOOKIE View Post
    IMO he's been a bit unfortunate landing a derby for the second game of the season, I'm sure he would have preferred at least 6 league games under his belt before taking on the manky mob, especially when it's followed shortly after by a visit to Ibrox ...... having said that, if he can win it his stock with the fans will be high and it will give his players a lift for the games to come.
    While derbies are massively important, both to the club and the fans, and we all want a Hibs win I'm not so sure it is unfortunate to have that as the second game proper in the league campaign, possibly the opposite.
    If we win, what a start and as you say gives the players an absolute lift however if we lose then it's early days for the manager and the team and unlikely to see anyone bar the most hard to please calling for his head, and there are 3 more at least to set the record straight.

Probably the closest you'll get to a free hit in a derby situation as we're a total unknown quantity with no real expectations on us yet.