hibs.net Messageboard

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    @hibs.net private member BILLYHIBS's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Edina Street View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Thanks for posting that video! Enjoyed watching that!
    👍

Thought you might like it

2. Log in to remove the advert

Quote Originally Posted by WeeRussell View Post
    … and then put Gary Caldwell in their improved offering ��
    You might be right to give me stick about my inclusion of Gary Caldwell in a greatest ever Hibernian team. The more I research on paper, the more I become convinced that Hibernian's greatest ever team would work best with a 3-5-2 formation, with Davie Shaw replacing Erich Schaedler before being moved in to the left centre-back position, with Pat Stanton or Franck Sauzee inbetween Davie Shaw and Jock Govan, or, in the defensive midfield position (the two are interchangable). This sadly means John Brownlie makes his way to the bench along with John Blackley, but it does open up an opportunity to throw an extra central-midfielder in to the mix. So I can bring Eddie Turnbull on to the field and give Russell Latapy his rightful place in Hibernian's greatest ever squad, at the expense of Gary Caldwell.

I will update my team now.
    Last edited by Edina Street; 31-05-2022 at 08:26 PM.

Left by mutual consent!
    Quote Originally Posted by cameronw-hfc View Post
    I don't think so, inevitably he ended up nowhere near his potential, but the way he controlled the game and tempo for us during his best days was a joy to watch. He allowed Allan and Mcginn that bit more freedom because they knew if they got into a situation, Dylan was usually there to receive it whether he was in trouble or not.

He ended up nowhere near that and injuries have meant he's not even a guaranteed started for Aberdeen, but during his time at us, when fit he was incredible at times.
    Incredible?
    He was pretty good to be fair but incredible- hardly.

@hibs.net private member JohnM1875's Avatar
    Gamer IDs

PSN ID: johnmac1875
    Quote Originally Posted by loanheadhibby View Post
    Incredible?
    He was pretty good to be fair but incredible- hardly.
    Personally think McGeouch was undoubtedly incredible at what he did for us in that midfield three. There's a reason we've struggled to replace what he offered as much as we've struggled to replace what McGinn offered us.

I've never seen them play ,but older heads than mine said that Willie Hamilton and The Baker Boy were our best and George of course .

Quote Originally Posted by cad View Post
    I've never seen them play ,but older heads than mine said that Willie Hamilton and The Baker Boy were our best and George of course .
    Jock Stein and King Paddy said Willie Hamilton was the best player they ever worked with

Some compliment

The Baker Boy wisnae a slouch either

George Best still had the fitba brain at Hibs
    Last edited by BILLYHIBS; 01-06-2022 at 06:57 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by BILLYHIBS View Post
    Jock Stein and King Paddy said Willie Hamilton was the best player they ever worked with

Some compliment

The Baker Boy wisnae a slouch either

George Best still had the fitba brain at Hibs
    Willie Hamilton would be first pick if i was to name a dream team.
    Willie without doubt in my opinion the most talented,gifted,natural player i saw in a Hibs jersey and that includes Sauzee.

Along with his idol,Joe Baker,Willie was also great favourite of Jimmy O'Rourke.

Jimmy could rattle of the 1902 cup winning team...backwards as well ,by the way !
    The players at ER when Hammy was around were in awe of his skills and his reading of a game.
    Willie could take the baw awe the way up the park,switch one way,then the other,while beating players without loooking at the ball.
    Remarkable,truly remarkable.

Having played against Willie Hamilton,the great Real Madrid legend, Ference Puskas stated.
    " Willie Hamilton would not have looked out of place in a Real Madrid side"

That was the Real Madrid team who had just won 5 European Cups on the trot.

PS
    This name has been mentioned a couple of times.
    Jimmy O'Rourke would say that the Irishman John Parke was one of the finest defenders he played alongside.Early 60s.
    Remarkable when you note that John only played 20 odd games for us before moving to Sunderland.

Another would be the"The Penalty King",our left back Joe Davis.
    Also early 1960s.
    Joe scored more than 34 goals from left back !!
    Many penalties,of course,hence the nickname.

Josh, pay attention at the back there
    Last edited by Mick O'Rourke; 01-06-2022 at 05:10 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Mick O'Rourke View Post
    Willie Hamilton would be first pick if i was to name a dream team.
    Willie without doubt in my opinion the most talented,gifted,natural player i saw in a Hibs jersey and that includes Sauzee.

Along with his idol,Joe Baker,Willie was also great favourite of Jimmy O'Rourke.

Jimmy could rattle of the 1902 cup winning team...backwards as well ,by the way !
    The players at ER when Hammy was around were in awe of his skills and his reading of a game.
    Willie could take the baw awe the way up the park,switch one way,then the other,while beating players without loooking at the ball.
    Remarkable,truly remarkable.

Having played against Willie Hamilton,the great Real Madrid legend, Ference Puskas stated.
    " Willie Hamilton would not have looked out of place in a Real Madrid side"

That was the Real Madrid team who had just won 5 European Cups on the trot.

PS
    This name has been mentioned a couple of times.
    Jimmy O'Rourke would say that the Irishman John Parke was one of the finest defenders he played alongside.Early 60s.
    Remarkable when you note that John only played 20 odd games for us before moving to Sunderland.

Another would be the"The Penalty King",our left back Joe Davis.
    Also early 1960s.
    Joe scored more than 34 goals from left back !!
    Many penalties,of course,hence the nickname.

Josh, pay attention at the back there
    Funny how times have changed.

Andy Robertson getting criticism as he was spotted with a bottle of beer in his hand 3 days before a Scotland gemme.

Ma auld man used to tell me Willie Hamilton would run onto the park with a big sweat patch on his shirt - presumably from the previous night's bevvy (not one 330ml bottle, we can safely assume)!

Quote Originally Posted by SideBurns View Post
    Funny how times have changed.

Andy Robertson getting criticism as he was spotted with a bottle of beer in his hand 3 days before a Scotland gemme.

Ma auld man used to tell me Willie Hamilton would run onto the park with a big sweat patch on his shirt - presumably from the previous night's bevvy (not one 330ml bottle, we can safely assume)!

I remember when Jimmy O'Rourke was recovering from his leg break,our manager then Jock Stein,who lived on the Queensferry Road near Barnton would give Jimmy a lift home from training/treatment some days
    We stayed not far at Clermiston Park.
    (Our mother.. "cup of tea",Mr Stein?!)

Jock shared that duty with goalkeeper Ronnie Simpson,who lived up the road from the Rainbow Lounge (now Spice Kitchen)
    Ok ,Sometimes Willie Hamilton would also be in the car .
    It was years later that i was told if a very important game on the following day,Willie would stay at Jock's house that evening/night
    ( Mrs Stein.. "hot water bottle and cocoa,Willie!?)

His good pals i recall were the great Jim Baxter, his old Hearts pal,Norrie Davidson and our very own Eric Stevenson.
    What a wonderful group to have met at a party/pub!

Willie's sister,either in a book or magazine article stated that Willie did not drink to the excess that people painted him doing.
    Must be some truth there,He was a giant on a football pitch.
    A very unique and talented footballer.

PS
    Your Dad was correct about the sweat patch sometimes.!

@hibs.net private member
    https://archive.ph/pMGU

Cracking article about willie

Quote Originally Posted by Mick O'Rourke View Post
    I remember when Jimmy O'Rourke was recovering from his leg break,our manager then Jock Stein,who lived on the Queensferry Road near Barnton would give Jimmy a lift home from training/treatment some days
    We stayed not far at Clermiston Park.
    (Our mother.. "cup of tea",Mr Stein?!)

Jock shared that duty with goalkeeper Ronnie Simpson,who lived up the road from the Rainbow Lounge (now Spice Kitchen)
    Ok ,Sometimes Willie Hamilton would also be in the car .
    It was years later that i was told if a very important game on the following day,Willie would stay at Jock's house that evening/night
    ( Mrs Stein.. "hot water bottle and cocoa,Willie!?)

His good pals i recall were the great Jim Baxter, his old Hearts pal,Norrie Davidson and our very own Eric Stevenson.
    What a wonderful group to have met at a party/pub!

Willie's sister,either in a book or magazine article stated that Willie did not drink to the excess that people painted him doing.
    Must be some truth there,He was a giant on a football pitch.
    A very unique and talented footballer.

PS
    Your Dad was correct about the sweat patch sometimes.!
    Ha ha! Great story, Mick. Magic hearing this kind of stuff.

My dad loved watching Willie Hamilton. Glad to hear his sister put the record straight, although given how good he was on the ball from what I hear, I presume his lifestyle prevented him from going as far in his career as his talent warranted. He's not alone in that though, and we don't have to go back to the 60s to find other examples, sadly.

There is footage from the highlights of the Hibernian vs Real Madrid game of Willie Hamilton playing. He certainly looks like a very good player. I wonder why he only won one Scotland cap?

Check out Willie Hamilton’s cracking goal against the Hearts from an impossible angle pure genius

https://youtu.be/l3Z0Qa7sjDg

I stick with Bobby Johnstone over Willie Hamilton, due to the 142 goals Bobby scored for Hibs in only 263 appearances. This is an incredible goal return from a playmaker. This is more than one goal every two games, and completely overshadows Willie's 15 goals in 50 games, which is less than one goal every three games.

Here is Bobby Johnstone scoring for Scotland against England in a 1951 Scottish 3-2 win at Wembley.

Last edited by Edina Street; 03-06-2022 at 04:03 PM.

I stick with Bobby Johnstone over Willie Hamilton, due to the 142 goals Bobby scored for Hibs in only 263 appearances. This is an incredible goal return from a playmaker. This is more than one goal every two games, and completely overshadows Willie's 15 goals in 50 games, which is less than one goal every three games.

Here is Bobby Johnstone scoring for Scotland against England in a 1951 one-all draw at Wembley.

2-3 win to win the Home International Championship

Bobby Johnstone 33 Lawrie Reilly 47 and Billy Liddell 53

You might be right to give me stick about my inclusion of Gary Caldwell in a greatest ever Hibernian team. The more I research on paper, the more I become convinced that Hibernian's greatest ever team would work best with a 3-5-2 formation, with Davie Shaw replacing Erich Schaedler before being moved in to the left centre-back position, with Pat Stanton or Franck Sauzee inbetween Davie Shaw and Jock Govan, or, in the defensive midfield position (the two are interchangable). This sadly means John Brownlie makes his way to the bench along with John Blackley, but it does open up an opportunity to throw an extra central-midfielder in to the mix. So I can bring Eddie Turnbull on to the field and give Russell Latapy his rightful place in Hibernian's greatest ever squad, at the expense of Gary Caldwell.

I will update my team now.
    Pat Stanton would be the wrong choice as a central defender in a three man defence. Like John Blackley he was a second ball central defender -neither wanted to be first man up which is why they seldom played together as defenders. Pat played a few games as centre half but was taken to the cleaners a few times.Pat played as an out and out defender long before he went to Celtic(and certainly wasn't turned into one by Stein as you said in one of your posts) but was best as sweeper. When Blackley came along Stanton moved forward and became the complete midfielder-defending,attacking and dictating the tempo of the game. He was much better than the modern defensive midfielder.

Incidentally John MacNamee was our best centre half that I have seen,followed by George Stewart.I'm surprised that not many mention them. Maybe shows how old I'm getting.

Bobby Johnstone was in great form when he left for Manchester City and turned the clock back once he got fit when he returned from Oldham.Along with Willie Hamilton he was in a group of two as the best Hibs midfielders I have seen. Both could be described as "free spirits" off the park.

Quote Originally Posted by ancient hibee View Post
    Pat Stanton would be the wrong choice as a central defender in a three man defence. Like John Blackley he was a second ball central defender -neither wanted to be first man up which is why they seldom played together as defenders. Pat played a few games as centre half but was taken to the cleaners a few times.Pat played as an out and out defender long before he went to Celtic(and certainly wasn't turned into one by Stein as you said in one of your posts) but was best as sweeper. When Blackley came along Stanton moved forward and became the complete midfielder-defending,attacking and dictating the tempo of the game. He was much better than the modern defensive midfielder.

Incidentally John MacNamee was our best centre half that I have seen,followed by George Stewart.I'm surprised that not many mention them. Maybe shows how old I'm getting.

Bobby Johnstone was in great form when he left for Manchester City and turned the clock back once he got fit when he returned from Oldham.Along with Willie Hamilton he was in a group of two as the best Hibs midfielders I have seen. Both could be described as "free spirits" off the park.
    I actually put Pat Stanton in central defence due to Pat writing in his book that he believed his own best position to be central defence. Though admittedly I don't recall him elaborating on what formation he was best suited to, nor what his best partnership would have been. Though he did pick himself in a back two alongside Franck Sauzee.

Pat Stanton was signed by Jock Stein to shore up his leaky defence as a sweeper behind Roddy McDonald and Shuggy Edvaldson

https://www.celticfc.com/news/2021/s...y-Pat-Stanton/

Pat Stanton was signed by Jock Stein to shore up his leaky defence as a sweeper behind Roddy McDonald and Shuggy Edvaldson

https://www.celticfc.com/news/2021/s...y-Pat-Stanton/
    Charlie Nicholas had Pat in his Celtic dream team a few years ago and could not believe how good he was.

Quote Originally Posted by gbhibby View Post
    Charlie Nicholas had Pat in his Celtic dream team a few years ago and could not believe how good he was.
    Some extended highlights here of Hibernian defeating Liverpool 1-0 at Easter Road during a 1975 UEFA Cup encounter. It is clear to see just how good Hibernian players were in those days, before the decline. (playback has been disabled, but simply click "watch on youtube")

Last edited by Edina Street; 04-06-2022 at 10:20 PM.

Some extended highlights here of Hibernian defeating Liverpool 1-0 at Easter Road during a 1975 UEFA Cup match. It is clear to see just how good Hibernian players were in these days, before the decline. (playback has been disabled, but simply click "watch on youtube")

Attended that game it was like standing fully clothed under a shower in the North Enclosure

Attended that game it was like standing fully clothed under a shower in the North Enclosure
    Yes but the soaking was worth it. My abiding memory from the game was Sloop up against Keegan and how Sloop kept him quiet. Keegans movement was something else the way he bent his runs but JB was too clever for him that evening.

Quote Originally Posted by gbhibby View Post
    Yes but the soaking was worth it. My abiding memory from the game was Sloop up against Keegan and how Sloop kept him quiet. Keegans movement was something else the way he bent his runs but JB was too clever for him that evening.
    Remember singing ‘ Keegan wants his Mammy!’ as he had left the England Training Camp and went home to his Mum and Dad’s