hibs.net Messageboard

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Testimonial Due The Harp Awakes's Avatar

Real Madrid's Offside Goal

The BT Sport, on air refereeing expert (Walton), claimed tonight that Real Madrid's 'goal' just before HT was rightly chopped off for offside. His reasoning was that a Liverpool player knocked the ball onto another Liverpool player who unintentionally, deflected the ball into Benzema's path who scored but, as he was in an offside position, it was no goal.

If that is correct, does it mean it is offside in the following scenario?:

Attacking player is in an offside position in the opposition 6 yard box. Defending goalkeeper strides forward with the ball at his feet, goes to smash the ball up the park but he hits his defender with the ball, who is standing on the penalty spot. The ball bounces back off the defender (unintentionally) to the 'offside' attacker, who smashes the ball into the net. No goal for offside.

That seems to be what was inferred by Walton. Is that correct? If so, you learn something every day!

2. Log in to remove the advert

@hibs.net private member
    Difference is real player tried to play a pass last night I think, so you're scenario would be a goal as no other real player

Quote Originally Posted by Stairway 2 7 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Difference is real player tried to play a pass last night I think, so you're scenario would be a goal as no other real player
    I'm not sure - that's not what they were suggesting in the commentary. Sounds like a change in the rule has come in, one I hadn't heard of. For instance, I've always grew up that the ball needs to be played forward by the attacking team, anyting coming off the defending team, be it pass/deflection etc means it is onside - 'came of the other team'. They said quite clearly last night it is only if the pass back/ball back is deliberate? That's new to me.

If it deflects of the defending team after attacking team plays it first it is offside - but we knew that anyway.

In your example, yes, sounds like that is now offside.

@hibs.net private member Callum_62's Avatar
    Gamer IDs

Wii Code: 0083-4364-6418-4974
    Quote Originally Posted by The Harp Awakes View Post
    The BT Sport, on air refereeing expert (Walton), claimed tonight that Real Madrid's 'goal' just before HT was rightly chopped off for offside. His reasoning was that a Liverpool player knocked the ball onto another Liverpool player who unintentionally, deflected the ball into Benzema's path who scored but, as he was in an offside position, it was no goal.

If that is correct, does it mean it is offside in the following scenario?:

Attacking player is in an offside position in the opposition 6 yard box. Defending goalkeeper strides forward with the ball at his feet, goes to smash the ball up the park but he hits his defender with the ball, who is standing on the penalty spot. The ball bounces back off the defender (unintentionally) to the 'offside' attacker, who smashes the ball into the net. No goal for offside.

That seems to be what was inferred by Walton. Is that correct? If so, you learn something every day!
    I think there will need to be a touch by the attacking team somewhere in there

Sent from my VOG-L29 using Tapatalk

Left by mutual consent!
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: Starryplough75
    is it no daft that it only has to hit your hand and its a penalty yet you've got to pass it back to the offside player intentionally for him to be deemed onside? The goal should have stood for me like

The confusing thing is the presence of 'deliberate' in the rules. No one meant to play the ball to Benzema - the Real player deliberately went for goal which is the most obvious forward movement, but the Liverpool defender(s) obviously intended to get something on the ball and likely were trying to knock it out of play.

It's only by chance that the combination of three players sent it to Benzema, so pretty harsh of the rules to declare one touch mattered when the other one/two didn't.

If you're offside when a teammate plays the ball you remain offside whether a defender subsequently touches it or not. Benzema's teammate appears to have played the ball or it wouldn't have gone in the direction it did, so if there was only one player between Benzema and the goal line when his teammate played the ball offside is the correct decision.

Edit: That was the old rule - not the case now apparently - if a defender deliberately plays the ball he becomes onside. That suggests the decision was harsh unless Benzema was offside at the original long cross into the box.
    Last edited by Caversham Green; 29-05-2022 at 08:04 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Broken Gnome View Post
    The confusing thing is the presence of 'deliberate' in the rules. No one meant to play the ball to Benzema - the Real player deliberately went for goal which is the most obvious forward movement, but the Liverpool defender(s) obviously intended to get something on the ball and likely were trying to knock it out of play.

It's only by chance that the combination of three players sent it to Benzema, so pretty harsh of the rules to declare one touch mattered when the other one/two didn't.
    I eventually understood why it was disallowed, because Valverde touched it forward before Fabinho made the tackle. Think it’s a terrible rule though, especially when Valverde’s touch was taking it nowhere near Benzema.

@hibs.net private member JimBHibees's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Stairway 2 7 View Post
    Yes the goal last night was offside because Valverde played it forward onto the Liverpool players then onto Benzema

@hibs.net private member
    One thing for sure - it’s an example where it’s another bonkers change to the laws of the game - they seem to have taken it from simple to complex and made it worse …

Blog Entries
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: franck sauzee
    Quote Originally Posted by Caversham Green View Post
    If you're offside when a teammate plays the ball you remain offside whether a defender subsequently touches it or not. Benzema's teammate appears to have played the ball or it wouldn't have gone in the direction it did, so if there was only one player between Benzema and the goal line when his teammate played the ball offside is the correct decision.
    The TV pundits, surprisingly, managed to make a meal of the explanation.

Essentially Benzema is offside when the Real player knocks the ball forward. The Liverpool defender’s touch is discounted because it was not a deliberate pass (had it been, it would be the next phase of play and Benzene would have been onside).

I agree with you that it was the correct decision.
    Follow the Hibs podcast, Longbangers, on Twitter (@longbangers)
    https://longbangers.hubwave.net

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by matty_f View Post

Essentially Benzema is offside when the Real player knocks the ball forward. The Liverpool defender’s touch is discounted because it was not a deliberate pass (had it been, it would be the next phase of play and Benzene would have been onside).

I’ve watched it in slo mo a few times and can’t see Valverde touch it ..seems to come off Konate and then Fabinho…I know why they chose to disallow it, but not sure it’s the right call

Anyway, didn’t affect the outcome ..

Gamer IDs

PSN ID: hibee_easty
    Quote Originally Posted by bigwheel View Post
    I’ve watched it in slo mo a few times and can’t see Valverde touch it ..seems to come off Konate and then Fabinho…I know why they chose to disallow it, but not sure it’s the right call

Anyway, didn’t affect the outcome ..
    That's my thoughts too. I think they got it wrong last night. Goal should've stood.

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by bigwheel View Post
    One thing for sure - it’s an example where it’s another bonkers change to the laws of the game - they seem to have taken it from simple to complex and made it worse …
    Unbelievably complex. Fair play to the assistant referee for getting it right.

Sent from my SM-N960F using Tapatalk

@hibs.net private member Hibbyradge's Avatar

It wasn't a deliberate pass, but it was a deliberate action by the Liverpool defenders which caused the ball to deflect to Benzema.

I thought it was the right decision at the time but I'm now not at all sure.
    Buy nothing online unless you check for free cashback here first. I've already earned £2,389.68!

Quote Originally Posted by Hibbyradge View Post
    It wasn't a deliberate pass, but it was a deliberate action by the Liverpool defenders which caused the ball to deflect to Benzema.

I thought it was the right decision at the time but I'm now not at all sure.
    That's why I edited my original post - it didn't just hit off the defenders, they made a move to block the shot. Maybe the 'phase of play' is the relevant factor in that it's difficult to argue that the ball reaching Benzema was the result of a new phase of play.

That would make sense and I'd agree with him being offside when his teammate touched it, but the explanation last night was focused on the Liverpool player's touch.
    Mature, sensible signature required for responsible position. Good prospects for the right candidate. Apply within.

@hibs.net private member blackpoolhibs's Avatar
    I thought the Real player made the first touch with the ball playing it forward, Benzema was in an offside position when that happened. I have no idea what the other touches by the Liverpool players have to do with it now, they have made an easy decision complicated for no apparent reason. 🙄

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by blackpoolhibs View Post
    I thought the Real player made the first touch with the ball playing it forward, Benzema was in an offside position when that happened. I have no idea what the other touches by the Liverpool players have to do with it now, they have made an easy decision complicated for no apparent reason.
    It’s hard to fully detect , but it doesn’t look like the Madrid player touches it at all…that’s why it’s so controversial for me ..it seems to be Konate hitting it off Fabinho…

@hibs.net private member blackpoolhibs's Avatar
    I thought the Real player touched it first, i could be wrong but that's what I thought, the rest i just don't understand

I thought the goal should have stood. And ironically it would have if it wasn’t for VAR.

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by WeeRussell View Post
    I thought the goal should have stood. And ironically it would have if it wasn’t for VAR.
    I don’t think it would have. I’m sure the flag went up

This was a situation full of ambiguity and you could call it either way and believe it’s right. Tough for the officials

They didn’t focus much on this but I had a strong suspicion benzema was offside with the original ball through but I do t think they looked at that

Quote Originally Posted by blackpoolhibs View Post
    I thought the Real player touched it first, i could be wrong but that's what I thought, the rest i just don't understand
    Real player touches it first, then comes off konaye, then off fabinho to benzema.

So aye, probably offside under the rules.

The rules seem daft though

Quote Originally Posted by Caversham Green View Post

Edit: That was the old rule - not the case now apparently - if a defender deliberately plays the ball he becomes onside. That suggests the decision was harsh unless Benzema was offside at the original long cross into the box.
    I’m pretty sure the interpretation of “deliberately plays the ball” is supposed to be is in control and tries to pass to a team mate. Clearances and tackles don’t count. So if the Madrid forward touched the ball (think he did) Benzema is offside and neither Liverpool touch would be deemed to have reset the phase.

I can’t believe that fitba fans and so called ‘experts’ in the studio don’t know the rules.
    It was clearly offside. At the moment the Real player played played the ball forward KB was in an offside position. It does not mater how many players the ball ricochet’s off the ball got to him from the initial ‘pass’. Even the bumbling ‘official’ in the studio didn’t explain it well. He stated it would have had to played deliberately by the Liverpool player after the initial pass, that’s true a deflection or ricochet doesn’t count. But it would also have had to have been a second phase from the moment the original forward pass was made…which it wasn’t. So even if either or both those Liverpool players had deliberately played the ball back after the first pass was made it still should have been chalked off.
    Attacking team play the ball forward. Ball reaches striker in offside position who scores. H’s offside no matter who or what it hits en route to the goal scorer. Simple. It’s not rocket science.

Quote Originally Posted by sadtom View Post
    I can’t believe that fitba fans and so called ‘experts’ in the studio don’t know the rules.
    It was clearly offside. At the moment the Real player played played the ball forward KB was in an offside position. It does not mater how many players the ball ricochet’s off the ball got to him from the initial ‘pass’. Even the bumbling ‘official’ in the studio didn’t explain it well. He stated it would have had to played deliberately by the Liverpool player after the initial pass, that’s true a deflection or ricochet doesn’t count. But it would also have had to have been a second phase from the moment the original forward pass was made…which it wasn’t. So even if either or both those Liverpool players had deliberately played the ball back after the first pass was made it still should have been chalked off.
    Attacking team play the ball forward. Ball reaches striker in offside position who scores. H’s offside no matter who or what it hits en route to the goal scorer. Simple. It’s not rocket science.
    How did it take you so many words to explain something so simple?

You’d have been quicker typing about rocket science.

Quote Originally Posted by JeMeSouviens View Post
    I’m pretty sure the interpretation of “deliberately plays the ball” is supposed to be is in control and tries to pass to a team mate. Clearances and tackles don’t count. So if the Madrid forward touched the ball (think he did) Benzema is offside and neither Liverpool touch would be deemed to have reset the phase.
    All 3 of those involved were challenging in my opinion with none of them deliberately ‘playing’ the ball in any direction. I’m guessing, though, that the deliberate part only applies to defenders ‘changing the phase’?

In which case I think it comes down to whether the madrid boy actually touched the ball, as mentioned above.

Quote Originally Posted by BoomtownHibeys View Post
    I don’t think it would have. I’m sure the flag went up
    In that case I stand corrected 👍

I walked back into the room just as VAR were looking at it and wondered if they were checking the original ball upfield to benzema… that’s not why the flag was up was it? Either way you’re right, if linesman flagged it wasn’t counting.

I still despise VAR though 😀

Quote Originally Posted by WeeRussell View Post
    How did it take you so many words to explain something so simple?

You’d have been quicker typing about rocket science.
    I was spelling it out for the hard of thinking…glad it worked.