hibs.net Messageboard

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    @hibs.net private member Hermit Crab's Avatar
    Wrexham were in involved in a game v Dover Athletic this season who were relegated with only 1 point on the board after being deducted 12 points for failing to fulfil last seasons fixtures, they barely had a squad this season as well. It finished Wrexham 6-5 Dover and Dover were leading 4-5 going into stoppage time. When your luck is down its down eh, I'm sure I read that Dover never brought any travelling fans to that game either.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U1JwGQldSWk
    Last edited by Hermit Crab; 28-05-2022 at 11:44 PM.
    Hibs.nets negative posting legend and unofficial ticket agent.

2. Log in to remove the advert

It does sound like the OP has judged the standard of that league based on one game.

@hibs.net private member BILLYHIBS's Avatar
    Started to fear for us they way Hecky lined us up against Celtic in the Cup at Easter Road

Left by mutual consent!
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: Starryplough75
    Quote Originally Posted by BILLYHIBS View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Started to fear for us they way Hecky lined us up against Celtic in the Cup at Easter Road
    and look how well hes done down south haha thats my only fear with johnson atm hopefully doesnt come up here with the same attitude as hecky cause the way they weegies are playing the now we could be in for some cricket score defeats lol hopefully no though

@hibs.net private member stu in nottingham's Avatar
    I'e attended National League games regularly for the past three seasons at Notts County's Meadow Lane. After they got relegated from League 2 me and my pal who goes questioned whether we wanted to watch that level of football, envisaging constant long ball stuff with huge strikers and centre backs predominant. I can only speak as I find and whilst that is certainly a part of it there is some decent football played as well. We were both pleasantly surprised at the relative quality and agreed that there really wasn't much difference in quality between League 2 and National League in general.

There are certainly a good few National League teams I've seen that are in my opinion better than League 2 sides I've watched. Part of that may be due to the fact that it's insanely difficult to get promoted from the National Leage with only one automatic promotion spot. I think that provides for quite a few 'bigger' club, ex-Football League as an example, lining up for a few years to escape from it. The National League is like a booby trap once sunken into it.

Notts have some good and skilled players and consistently play 'good' passing football, often to their detriment as their long-suffering fans will attest who would often like a more direct, physical style and see that as more likely to win promotion.

I think it's hard to make comparisons between English and Scottish football in general and by focusing on individuals who've played both sides of the border in particular. An example might be someone like former Notts player Kristian Dennis who couldn't get into Notts' side but was scooped up by St Mirren and played 30 games in the SPFL. I think it tells us little, apart from a reference to the relative wages players earn and the markets in which their teams operate. I suppose, if pushed, I'd say there would be quite a few National League sides who might be competitive in the Scottish Championship. There'd be a few also who would struggle. There is quite a difference between the Stockports and Wrexhams and the now relegated Dover and Kings Lynn in terms of club infrastructure, crowds and playing quality on the pitch.
    FAITH HOPE LOVE

My Blog:
    The Tears of a Clown

@hibs.net private member Hibbyradge's Avatar
    I've been to see York City a few times this season. They've just won the play off to gain promotion to the National League.

They were awful every time I went and I don't remember seeing their keeper give the ball to a defender once!

He just hammers it straight up the park and let's them get on with it. They'll need to invest in some footballers if they want to stay up and eventually try to get back into the league.
    Buy nothing online unless you check for free cashback here first. I've already earned £2,389.68!

Left by mutual consent!
    Gamer IDs

Quote Originally Posted by stu in nottingham View Post
    I'e attended National League games regularly for the past three seasons at Notts County's Meadow Lane. After they got relegated from League 2 me and my pal who goes questioned whether we wanted to watch that level of football, envisaging constant long ball stuff with huge strikers and centre backs predominant. I can only speak as I find and whilst that is certainly a part of it there is some decent football played as well. We were both pleasantly surprised at the relative quality and agreed that there really wasn't much difference in quality between League 2 and National League in general.

There are certainly a good few National League teams I've seen that are in my opinion better than League 2 sides I've watched. Part of that may be due to the fact that it's insanely difficult to get promoted from the National Leage with only one automatic promotion spot. I think that provides for quite a few 'bigger' club, ex-Football League as an example, lining up for a few years to escape from it. The National League is like a booby trap once sunken into it.

Notts have some good and skilled players and consistently play 'good' passing football, often to their detriment as their long-suffering fans will attest who would often like a more direct, physical style and see that as more likely to win promotion.

I think it's hard to make comparisons between English and Scottish football in general and by focusing on individuals who've played both sides of the border in particular. An example might be someone like former Notts player Kristian Dennis who couldn't get into Notts' side but was scooped up by St Mirren and played 30 games in the SPFL. I think it tells us little, apart from a reference to the relative wages players earn and the markets in which their teams operate. I suppose, if pushed, I'd say there would be quite a few National League sides who might be competitive in the Scottish Championship. There'd be a few also who would struggle. There is quite a difference between the Stockports and Wrexhams and the now relegated Dover and Kings Lynn in terms of club infrastructure, crowds and playing quality on the pitch.
    its the first time this weekend ive ever watched non league in england and the standard of football has been very decent mate enjoyed both semi finals more than that soulless snoozefest CL final last night will be keeping an eye on the national league next season

Quote Originally Posted by Nitten View Post
    The very point I was trying to make…..I’m not trying to knock Hibs or Scottish Football in general, rather Campbell and McInnes have shown no desire to actually play football and a lot of teams I might just have been lucky to watch, have been coached to get it down and pass.
    it doesn’t really matter what budget you have as a coach, you either want to have a passing style or not.
    I think it will be luck, Nitten. As teams from amateur level all the way to the top vary in styles in both England and Scotland.

@hibs.net private member Hibbyradge's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by StarryPloughHSC View Post
    its the first time this weekend ive ever watched non league in england and the standard of football has been very decent mate enjoyed both semi finals more than that soulless snoozefest CL final last night will be keeping an eye on the national league next season
    I really enjoyed the CL final and there was nothing soulless about it, imo.

The league below League 2 might produce some decent games, but the one below that is woeful.
    Buy nothing online unless you check for free cashback here first. I've already earned £2,389.68!

@hibs.net private member cameronw-hfc's Avatar
    I'd say Celtic and Rangers are good enough to be lower Prem teams, the rest of the SPL is more akin to English Champ imo. The Scottish champ at the top pushes English L1 bottom sides, but the leagues from there and down up here aren't close to even national league level imo.

Quote Originally Posted by Tommy75 View Post
    (I include youth games I have watched as well).
    at what level

Left by mutual consent!
    Gamer IDs

Quote Originally Posted by Hibbyradge View Post
    I really enjoyed the CL final and there was nothing soulless about it, imo.

The league below League 2 might produce some decent games, but the one below that is woeful.
    each to their own mate at the end of the day its night ae