hibs.net Messageboard

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Neil Lennon

He struggled a lot when he had to replace the core of Stubbs team. If he came back now, with an average squad lacking in confidence, he'd be a disaster I think

2. Log in to remove the advert

Left by mutual consent!
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: Starryplough75
    Quote Originally Posted by California-Hibs View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I've nothing but good things to say about Neil Lennon. Couldn't believe when we got someone of his standing in at Easter Road. The overall memory of him in charge will always be met with great exciting football and full of passion. It truely was a fantastic time following Hibs during that era. Will never forget how much he clearly loved putting Levein in his place when we romped them in 1st gear to a 2-0 win at Easter Road and the banners were out, singing was next level, Lennon banging his chest at the end of the game to a roaring rendition of Sunshine On Leith...

Ah, yep, fantastic memories of Lenny in charge. All the best to him. Would welcome him back in a heartbeat. Was gutted when he left. Remember also meeting and speaking with him when I was over on holiday and caught the Brian Clough Play held at Easter Road. He was top notch with me and showed a real interest in me living in the States, keeping up with the club etc etc

Top manager, and a top man.
    what a legend

Left by mutual consent!
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: Starryplough75
    Quote Originally Posted by MWHIBBIES View Post
    He struggled a lot when he had to replace the core of Stubbs team. If he came back now, with an average squad lacking in confidence, he'd be a disaster I think
    he would need to get his recruitment spot on however i couldn't see him working with kensell and gordon jnr lol
    Last edited by StarryPloughHSC; 27-05-2022 at 04:58 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by The Tubs View Post
    I may be wrong, but did he not bolt so that he could get the celtc job without them having to pay us any compensation?
    That was our downfall.

Rodgers was a target for the Leicester owner for a year before he left Celtic but somehow Carlos Puel survived past the summer. Lawwell knew that it was only a matter of time before he would lose Brendan to the EPL so like any effective club chairman he was planning where his next manager may come from. I don’t believe that he would have risked upsetting Petrie by an approach. Far more likely that with the close bond between the two men that Brendan saw Neil as his natural successor.

So with Puel’s coat on a shoogly peg and Lawwell looking for a replacement to start in the summer, that period until January with a distracted Lenny in charge was a nightmare for both Hibs and our supporters. He was finding fault with everything behind the scenes (players, contracts, signings, medical staff) and regularly blowing a gasket. Two wins out of 14 was the same form that got Ross and Maloney sacked.

Arrived with a fanfare, left under a cloud. Went back to Celtic and the rest is history.

I liked Lenny a lot and his time at Hibs did bring us excitement. Shame that the Celtic job came begging when it did. It’s great to see him successful again albeit with the same Achilles heel of a lack of emotional control. We still have some of the same directors on the board as then, so no he will never be back at Easter Road any time soon.
    Last edited by RIP; 27-05-2022 at 07:35 AM.

@hibs.net private member
    Lenny is the best manager we've had in recent years. I thought he was the best at getting the most out of the squad and was prepared to move to plan B when plan A wasn't working even if that was evident early in a match. Most of the other managers we've had recently haven't even had a plan B. It surprises me to know that he can see into the future though as some suggest if they think that he deliberately got himself sacked a month before there was even a vacancy at Celtic. I doubt he'll ever learn to curb his emotions on the touchline but knowing that he cares as much as the fans do just endears him even more to me.