hibs.net Messageboard

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Neil Lennon

@hibs.net private member Northernhibee's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by marinello59 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Lennon didn’t have to contend with Sevco and Hearts. We cruised it but he had an easier task than the one Stubbs faced with games being played with the backing of a massively rejuvenated Hibs support following our cup win.
    And only picked up one more point than Stubbs.

It was a horrendously tough task for AS that second season and injuries combined with an absolutely gruelling schedule made it worse.

2. Log in to remove the advert

@hibs.net private member Pagan Hibernia's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Edina Street View Post
    Neil Lennon only finished the 2016/17 season with one more point than what Alan Stubbs had managed during the 2015/16 season when Rangers were present. The 70 points mustered by Alan Stubbs during the 2015/16 championship, would have been enough to win the 2016/17 championship by ten points.

2015/16 Scottish championship - Alan Stubbs

P 36 W 21 D 7 L 8 GF 59 AG 34 PTS 70

2016/17 Scottish championship - Neil Lennon

P 36 W 19 D 14 L 3 GF 59 AG 25 PTS 71
    that may be true but we were never not going up that season. I think the players knew that too and took their foot off the gas in the second half of the season, when we dropped a lot of points with draws etc. maybe that was a failure in motivation by Lennon but he got the job done, and with considerable ease.

we also had a good cup run that year. Dismantled hearts (albeit it was cathro’s hearts) in one of the most dominant derby displays I can remember, and were ridiculously unlucky with aberdeens winner in the semi final at a time when it looked like we were going on to win.

overall, I remember 2016/17 fondly. 2017/18 was even better.

2018/19 was a different story, though even that one started very well but fell apart in the autumn..

During his time at Hibs, Lennon had us playing aggressive and attacking football which made going to Easter Road exciting. The Tornadoes and possibly a season under Mowbray could only match some of the times under Lennon.

Know he came with a fair amount of baggage but I reflect positively on Lennon's time at Hibs.

Would welcome him back, but not sure if he would want to under the current people holding the reins at Hibs.

Quote Originally Posted by Hibees1973 View Post
    During his time at Hibs, Lennon had us playing aggressive and attacking football which made going to Easter Road exciting. The Tornadoes and possibly a season under Mowbray could only match some of the times under Lennon.

Know he came with a fair amount of baggage but I reflect positively on Lennon's time at Hibs.

Would welcome him back, but not sure if he would want to under the current people holding the reins at Hibs.
    Between January 2018 and May 2018 i'd agree. The rest was largely turgid.

Quote Originally Posted by WhileTheChief.. View Post
    I don't think you are in the minority amongst Hibs fans, there's just a few loud voices totally opposed to him.
    I’m not sure where you’re getting your views from but I’d say you guys are very much in the minority. NL left us a shambles and did the same in a short space of time at a previously rampant Celtic. We had a fantastic half a season under him.

@hibs.net private member WhileTheChief..'s Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by tamig View Post
    I’m not sure where you’re getting your views from but I’d say you guys are very much in the minority. NL left us a shambles and did the same in a short space of time at a previously rampant Celtic. We had a fantastic half a season under him.
    Just a general feeling and the vibes around ER back then when he left.

Then you just need to look at the comments on here over the years, he's still hugely popular and would have been welcomed by many as our new manager now or when Maloney was appointed.

Like others have said, I can see him coming back to Hibs.

@hibs.net private member LancsHibs's Avatar
    Well done Lenny, looked wild at the end!!🇳🇬🇨🇾🇳🇬

Lenny was brilliant for us. You have to wonder what people are expecting if they turn their nose up at him.

Just look at the dross we have had before and since. The Lenny days were brilliant.

@hibs.net private member worcesterhibby's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by WhileTheChief.. View Post
    Like others have said, I can see him coming back to Hibs.
    God I hope not. Neil Lennon never worked for Hibs..he worked for Neil Lennon. He never celebrated a Hibs goal..he celebrated for himself and when things started going wrong...and boy did they go wrong...it was never his fault and he really didn't give a toss. Poor record to get us up for the championship with no real competition..he failed to win nearly half the games we played..half a season of great football on the back of the cup win and the huge positivity it brought and then crashed and burned. No Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by Hibees1973 View Post
    The Tornadoes and possibly a season under Mowbray could only match some of the times under Lennon.
    During the 1973-74 season Turnbull's tornadoes drew with English old 1st division champions Leeds United 0-0 over two legs and lost out on penalties in the second round of the UEFA cup. They the Lisbon lions 1-0 in the Drybrough cup final. They defeated Heart of Midlothian 7-0 at tynecastle. They finished second in the old 1st division just four points behind the Lisbon Lions. If it were not for the genius of Jock Stein, mixed with John Brownlie breaking his leg, then Hibernian would have accomplished something never seen since the famous five, and that is winning the league. So those few months between January 2018 and May 2018 under Neil Lennon when Hibernian rocketed up the league to finish fourth must have been really exciting if they are comparable to drawing home and away with the giants of English football, winning two cups, defeating Hearts 7-0, and bringing the title race down to the last two games of the season.
    Last edited by Edina Street; 28-05-2022 at 03:10 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Mcbizz1998 View Post
    Lenny was brilliant for us. You have to wonder what people are expecting if they turn their nose up at him.

Just look at the dross we have had before and since. The Lenny days were brilliant.

Quote Originally Posted by Since452 View Post
    Between January 2018 and May 2018 i'd agree. The rest was largely turgid.
    This is always said about the 17/18 season.

Obviously a lot of folk missed the win at Ibrox, beating Hearts and brilliant performance at Parkhead against a then unbeaten Celtic side under Rodgers, in the first half of the season. Granted there was the odd shocker but we won more than we lost and a lot of people were turning up to watch.

I may be wrong, but did he not bolt so that he could get the celtc job without them having to pay us any compensation?

@hibs.net private member The Modfather's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Mcbizz1998 View Post

Nothing like a balanced opinion…

First season and a half was fine, no more no less, second half of 17/18 was exceptional, 3rd season a combustible shambles.

He improved the midfield and Lewis was probably at his peak in the 17/18 season. None of his mass of signings are still here, only Rocky from his signings ( Allan too?) played a part in Ross team that finished 3rd and I think we only got fees for Horgan and possibly Mallan from his signing.

Some good some bad under Lennon.

We heard the same at the time Lennon was sacked as we did when Ross was sacked. “Careful what you wish for”, “won’t get better” etc etc. Yet, within a couple of years of Lennon we finished in a higher position than Lennon achieved. Lennon & Ross both had some good some bad, some good seasons some bad but ultimately didn’t achieve anything we’ll never see again. Then you have managers like Collins who not just won a trophy but did so in style, who have been given no respect by some of those most vocal in defending the likes of Lennon and/or Ross. Essentially, for most, it all comes down to whether you like a particular manager or not as to how balanced you are.

Quote Originally Posted by B.H.F.C View Post
    This is always said about the 17/18 season.

Obviously a lot of folk missed the win at Ibrox, beating Hearts and brilliant performance at Parkhead against a then unbeaten Celtic side under Rodgers, in the first half of the season. Granted there was the odd shocker but we won more than we lost and a lot of people were turning up to watch.
    True. Home defeats to Hamilton and St Johnstone and a 4-1 defeat to Aberdeen were dire though. We'd have finished second if we'd had a better first half of the season.

Left by mutual consent!
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: Starryplough75
    Quote Originally Posted by The Modfather View Post
    Nothing like a balanced opinion…

First season and a half was fine, no more no less, second half of 17/18 was exceptional, 3rd season a combustible shambles.

He improved the midfield and Lewis was probably at his peak in the 17/18 season. None of his mass of signings are still here, only Rocky from his signings ( Allan too?) played a part in Ross team that finished 3rd and I think we only got fees for Horgan and possibly Mallan from his signing.

Some good some bad under Lennon.

We heard the same at the time Lennon was sacked as we did when Ross was sacked. “Careful what you wish for”, “won’t get better” etc etc. Yet, within a couple of years of Lennon we finished in a higher position than Lennon achieved. Lennon & Ross both had some good some bad, some good seasons some bad but ultimately didn’t achieve anything we’ll never see again. Then you have managers like Collins who not just won a trophy but did so in style, who have been given no respect by some of those most vocal in defending the likes of Lennon and/or Ross. Essentially, for most, it all comes down to whether you like a particular manager or not as to how balanced you are.
    i think most hibs fans see that team that collins won the cup with as mowbrays team lol collins thought brian kerr was a suitable replacement for broony

@hibs.net private member The Modfather's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by StarryPloughHSC View Post
    i think most hibs fans see that team that collins won the cup with as mowbrays team lol collins thought brian kerr was a suitable replacement for broony
    Even if that was the case, Mowbray (who is probably my favourite Hibs manager, and that period is definitely my favourite time) couldn’t win a cup with his own team. Collins did, and won it 5-1 in the final, beating Hearts en route with something like 79% possession too. I don’t understand the “it was Mowbrays team” as a means to downplay the achievement.

@hibs.net private member MagicSwirlingShip's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by StarryPloughHSC View Post
    Think Brian Kerr was a Tommy Craig recommendation, as was O’Brien

Left by mutual consent!
    Gamer IDs

that was down to mowbray for me mate we saw collins stamp on the team the following season. a would go as far as to say it was collins man management skills or lack of that lost us our two best midfielders and cost us a potential cup double

Left by mutual consent!
    Gamer IDs

Quote Originally Posted by MagicSwirlingShip View Post
    Think Brian Kerr was a Tommy Craig recommendation, as was O’Brien
    dreadful times mate lol i mind him coming off the bench at tiny and everyone was buzzing cause he was rapid haha

@hibs.net private member blackpoolhibs's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Edina Street View Post
    During the 1973-74 season Turnbull's tornadoes drew with English old 1st division champions Leeds United 0-0 over two legs and lost out on penalties in the second round of the UEFA cup. They defeated the Lisbon lions 2-1 in the League cup final, and 1-0 in the Drybrough cup final. They defeated Heart of Midlothian 7-0 at tynecastle. They finished second in the old 1st division just four points behind the Lisbon Lions. If it were not for the genius of Jock Stein, mixed with John Blackley breaking his leg, then Hibernian would have accomplished something never seen since the famous five, and that is winning the league. So those few months between January 2018 and May 2018 under Neil Lennon when Hibernian rocketed up the league to finish fourth must have been really exciting if they are comparable to drawing home and away with the giants of English football, winning two cups, defeating Hearts 7-0, and bringing the title race down to the last two games of the season.
    When you put it like that.

John Brownlee not Blackley.

Quote Originally Posted by JamesHFC View Post
    Has won the Cypriot Cup with Omonia Nicosia despite being down to ten men for 115 minutes. They now qualify for the Europa League third qualifying round after finishing in the bottom half of the table prior to his arrival.

Top manager.

I'm glad to hear he's doing well, even if it's at Cypriot Celtc

I loved the majority of Lennon's time with us but watching the footage of him getting sent to the stand in the Cypriot final I do think he should know better by now. The aggressive, sarcastic applauding of the ref is way OTT.

Sorry hasnt the neil lennon been done to death on here?🤔

Well done Neil ,all the best.

Quote Originally Posted by blackpoolhibs View Post
    When you put it like that.

John Brownlee not Blackley.
    Ah yes, John Brownlie. Thanks for pointing that out.

@hibs.net private member Pagan Hibernia's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by The Modfather View Post
    Even if that was the case, Mowbray (who is probably my favourite Hibs manager, and that period is definitely my favourite time) couldn’t win a cup with his own team. Collins did, and won it 5-1 in the final, beating Hearts en route with something like 79% possession too. I don’t understand the “it was Mowbrays team” as a means to downplay the achievement.
    81%.

Left by mutual consent!
    Gamer IDs

Quote Originally Posted by He's here! View Post
    I loved the majority of Lennon's time with us but watching the footage of him getting sent to the stand in the Cypriot final I do think he should know better by now. The aggressive, sarcastic applauding of the ref is way OTT.
    aye he probably thinks hes too good for them aswell he certainly was'nt like that during his second spell at the imposters

Left by mutual consent!
    Gamer IDs

Quote Originally Posted by chrisski33 View Post
    Sorry hasnt the neil lennon been done to death on here?🤔
    no way pal if you're alive and done something positive at our club we're always eager for your return it's how we roll

@hibs.net private member California-Hibs's Avatar
    Gamer IDs

PSN ID: BringTheCairds
    I've nothing but good things to say about Neil Lennon. Couldn't believe when we got someone of his standing in at Easter Road. The overall memory of him in charge will always be met with great exciting football and full of passion. It truely was a fantastic time following Hibs during that era. Will never forget how much he clearly loved putting Levein in his place when we romped them in 1st gear to a 2-0 win at Easter Road and the banners were out, singing was next level, Lennon banging his chest at the end of the game to a roaring rendition of Sunshine On Leith...

Ah, yep, fantastic memories of Lenny in charge. All the best to him. Would welcome him back in a heartbeat. Was gutted when he left. Remember also meeting and speaking with him when I was over on holiday and caught the Brian Clough Play held at Easter Road. He was top notch with me and showed a real interest in me living in the States, keeping up with the club etc etc

Top manager, and a top man.