hibs.net Messageboard

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Cummings

Coaching Staff
    Quote Originally Posted by Stairway 2 7 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Hearts got beat 3-1 against a much better Barcelona side, also means nothing as it was a friendly. Doubt last season we were better than arsenal
    Bit of pointless argument really…not your post, but the argument in general.

I actually watched the whole game and was surprised how well the cobbled together ALeaguers played.

It was not played in any expected ‘exhibition’ match way.

Dunno if it was Barca’s strongest side, but would be surprised if it was.

FWIW too…as the A League Grand Final was played 3 days after this game any player from the two top clubs in Oz was not considered for selection.

As a close follower of both Leagues over the years I have formed the view that both sets of supporters, are over critical of each other’s leagues.

2. Log in to remove the advert

Coaching Staff
    Quote Originally Posted by Gorebridge Hibb View Post
    You’re spot on Fred. We could do with signing some guys from Oz. Mariners left back is a stand out as is their keeper and young Garang Kuol.
    Hibs are aware of the left back, who interestingly enough is the most fouled player in the A League.

Don’t think the club are likely to pursue anything though.

He should make his debut in Oz’s under 23 side this week in Qatar
    Last edited by Forza Fred; 30-05-2022 at 05:31 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by WeeRussell View Post
    The top international sides play at a really high standard. That’s not bizarre in the slightest.
    They do, but there are about 8 of those. The rest are largely rubbish

@hibs.net private member JimBHibees's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Forza Fred View Post
    Lost count of the players I had mentioned to Hibs over the years.

Have given up now.

As far as I know they only acted on two occasions, and were too late on their follow up on another.

Most of the players mentioned went on to professional careers and many became internationalists.

I understand the ‘some random punter ‘ argument, but at the end of the day it costs very little to look at a video.

I laughed a few years ago when one ex manager said in an interview that he always ignored punters recommendations and recounted how the chairman once gave him a video of a young player he had received from Australia and asked him to have a look.

He said as soon as he got back to his office he threw it in the bin.

Pity, because that then unattached 17 year old who had publicly stated that he was going to the UK to try and ‘find a club’
    Went on to play at the top level, including world cups.

The above is not a ‘how good am I ‘ post, but a suggestion that Hibs quite frequently miss out on players because they are not brought to their attention by what they see as ‘conventional’ means.

It’s easy to ‘spot’ a player when he is playing in front of 40000 people in an international or cup final…..the ones I refer to were mainly not in that category.

Maybe the new head of recruitment will change that, who knows.
    Are you able to say who the manager and player were? Seems a ridiculously arrogant attitude to take from them.

Quote Originally Posted by JimBHibees View Post
    Are you able to say who the manager and player were? Seems a ridiculously arrogant attitude to take from them.
    Possibly understandable though.

For every intelligent and valuable contribution from someone like Forza Fred you’ll probably get dozens of suggestions from kids playing football manager and an assortment of nut jobs.

They’ve probably just accepted it’s not a worthwhile source of recommendations across the board and have made a blanket policy, even if they miss out on valuable players along the way.

I’d be surprised and disappointed if Hibs didn’t have some eyes on Australia though in either a formal or informal fashion. Good players come out of there and often at a price we should be able to afford. We also offer a starting point in Europe and a gateway to England.
    Last edited by Smartie; 30-05-2022 at 07:05 AM.

Coaching Staff
    Quote Originally Posted by JimBHibees View Post
    it was about 30 years ago, so let's just say the manager wasn't renowned for his attacking style of play by most.

The player was Craig Moore.

The tape was of him playing centre half for the Oz under 20's in a world youth cup warm up match against Brazil, where he was clearly the best player on the park.

He was 17 at the time.

I hadn't heard of him before this game, which I attended, and was blown away by his performance against the much fancied Brazilians, where he was easily the best player on the park.

I got a tape of the game and sent via Dougie Cromb, the then chairman, who I knew.

He wasn't attached to any club, but was at the Australian Institute of Sport in Canberra...something like a centre of excellence for aspiring sportsmen/women.... but after that game told the media that because he had a UK passport he was hoping to trial in the UK, although had no team in mind then.

He went on trial at Arsenal, but the contract he was offered apparently was for peanuts, so ended up at Rangers.

I know because of his Rangers connections there will be negative comments about him, but the record shows he played in the SPL, Premier League, Bundesliga and at the world cup.

@hibs.net private member jacomo's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Smartie View Post
    Possibly understandable though.

For every intelligent and valuable contribution from someone like Forza Fred you’ll probably get dozens of suggestions from kids playing football manager and an assortment of nut jobs.

They’ve probably just accepted it’s not a worthwhile source of recommendations across the board and have made a blanket policy, even if they miss out on valuable players along the way.

I’d be surprised and disappointed if Hibs didn’t have some eyes on Australia though in either a formal or informal fashion. Good players come out of there and often at a price we should be able to afford. We also offer a starting point in Europe and a gateway to England.

It makes me think of the slush pile at a publishers: the place where unsolicited manuscripts go to die.

Then you will get someone like JK Rowling, reportedly rejected (ie not read) by more than 10 publishers before Bloomsbury took a chance on her and made enormous piles of money.

Clubs like Hibs have limited resources, but you’d think they’d be open to ways of expanding their scouting network.
    Last edited by jacomo; 30-05-2022 at 02:03 PM.

I don't think it's ridiculous that Steve Clark would be aware that an on form Cummings is a decent option to have should Adams be out. Dykes is obviously something quite different and Brown is still untested. It wasn't that long ago Shankland and Brophy were picking up caps under Clark.

I'd even forgot about our own Nisbet who was our 3rd choice in the Euros. Again, I'm not saying he should go straight in or anything but he's got to be on the radar and it'd be disappointing to miss out.

I don't think there's any question that Boyle would've got a few Scotland caps had Australia not got in first.

Hibs are aware of the left back, who interestingly enough is the most fouled player in the A League.

Don’t think the club are likely to pursue anything though.

He should make his debut in Oz’s under 23 side this week in Qatar
    Hearts looking to sign the Mariners centre half , Kyle Rowles,as a replacement for John Soutar. Will be a good signing for them.
    Last edited by Gorebridge Hibb; 30-05-2022 at 03:12 PM.

Professional thread starter Diclonius's Avatar
    Wonder if Clarke will consider calling him up.

I’m sure Ian Gordon said Australia and Japan were two league we were interested in looking at in more depth for potential players.

I dare say any recommendations under the current regime might get a bit more recognition.

Are there any players that stand out in the A-League that would be a possibility for us?

One player I heard a lot about was Marco Tilio, be interesting to see if he’s one we’re looking at

Coaching Staff
    Quote Originally Posted by Unseen work View Post
    I’m sure Ian Gordon said Australia and Japan were two league we were interested in looking at in more depth for potential players.

I dare say any recommendations under the current regime might get a bit more recognition.

Are there any players that stand out in the A-League that would be a possibility for us?

One player I heard a lot about was Marco Tilio, be interesting to see if he’s one we’re looking at

I can’t recall Ian Gordon saying Australia specifically was an area they were looking in, but maybe I just missed it.

Hearts on the other hand, unfortunately have been very active, and the latest player linked with them, Kye Rowles., would be a very handy acquisition.

Marco Tillioi is ok, and there are, as with any player differing opinions on his ability.

IMHO there are better players around though.
    Last edited by Forza Fred; 30-05-2022 at 11:28 PM.

Coaching Staff
    Quote Originally Posted by 04Sauzee View Post
    Garang Kuol will probably get a shot at a club in Europe, they will think it's worth a risk.
    Yep, much bigger clubs than Hibs will be in for his signature.

@hibs.net private member JimBHibees's Avatar
    it was about 30 years ago, so let's just say the manager wasn't renowned for his attacking style of play by most.

The player was Craig Moore.

The tape was of him playing centre half for the Oz under 20's in a world youth cup warm up match against Brazil, where he was clearly the best player on the park.

He was 17 at the time.

I hadn't heard of him before this game, which I attended, and was blown away by his performance against the much fancied Brazilians, where he was easily the best player on the park.

I got a tape of the game and sent via Dougie Cromb, the then chairman, who I knew.

He wasn't attached to any club, but was at the Australian Institute of Sport in Canberra...something like a centre of excellence for aspiring sportsmen/women.... but after that game told the media that because he had a UK passport he was hoping to trial in the UK, although had no team in mind then.

He went on trial at Arsenal, but the contract he was offered apparently was for peanuts, so ended up at Rangers.

I know because of his Rangers connections there will be negative comments about him, but the record shows he played in the SPL, Premier League, Bundesliga and at the world cup.
    Moore was an excellent player. Shame we couldn't have at least got him over for a look.

He was well liked at Hibs, never hit the heights he could have, now he’s resurrecting his career successfully in Australia (where he can’t ‘come back to haunt us’). Nothing not to like about this.

Quote Originally Posted by Dashing Bob S View Post
    He was well liked at Hibs, never hit the heights he could have, now he’s resurrecting his career successfully in Australia (where he can’t ‘come back to haunt us’). Nothing not to like about this.
    Yep. The idea Cummings only done it for Hibs in the championship is rubbish too. Scored loads against SPL sides in cups. Good player.

@hibs.net private member Northernhibee's Avatar
    Delighted that he's doing well after the appalling treatment he got from the juvenile sections of the Hibs support twice this season. Hibs hero in my eyes and deserves all the best wishes in the world, was gutted for him the times Dundee played us.

Do you think your security can keep you in purity, you will not shake us off above or below. Scottish friction, Scottish fiction

Gamer IDs

PSN ID: hibee_easty
    Loved having him at Hibs. A player who excited me, and scored all kind of goals.

Probably done him the world of good getting out of the UK. Scotland in particular.

@hibs.net private member jacomo's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Northernhibee View Post
    Delighted that he's doing well after the appalling treatment he got from the juvenile sections of the Hibs support twice this season. Hibs hero in my eyes and deserves all the best wishes in the world, was gutted for him the times Dundee played us.

Utterly embarrassing.

@hibs.net private member BILLYHIBS's Avatar
    Loved how he used to just stand arms apart with a smug grin on his pus in front of the away end versus the Hearts as if to say

“ This is what you could have won! “
    Last edited by BILLYHIBS; 02-06-2022 at 01:35 PM.

A really great character who, with his goals, was a vital part of an enjoyable time for our club. Good luck to him.

Before 2016, you'd have likely said any player who was in a Hibs Scottish Cup winning team would get a free pass from the fans for the rest of his life. They all deserve that imo, but someone who made such a massive contribution as Cummings should always get an ovation at Easter Road. He was brilliant for us, and not just in that cup run. I'm happy things seem to be working out so well for Jason in Oz.

Quote Originally Posted by SideBurns View Post
    Before 2016, you'd have likely said any player who was in a Hibs Scottish Cup winning team would get a free pass from the fans for the rest of his life. They all deserve that imo, but someone who made such a massive contribution as Cummings should always get an ovation at Easter Road. He was brilliant for us, and not just in that cup run. I'm happy things seem to be working out so well for Jason in Oz.
    Sums it up nicely.

When some folk play against Hibs wearing the shirt of another club they'll inevitably attract attention from the dafties.

I reckon Cummings will get the acknowledgment and recognition he deserves from our support once he's finished playing.

Absolutely.

Especially a layer who seemed to score every time he played hearts.