hibs.net Messageboard

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
    @hibs.net private member jacomo's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Mcbizz1998 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Not sure what the alternative is? The players get paid less and then what, the money gets trousered by the owners?

These clubs can’t give money to the likes of Elsie, as that would be never ending.

Personally I don’t have a huge issue with it, Mbappe is unbelievably talented and dedicated. If someone is stupid enough to pay him that much then good on him.

How about a cap on ticket prices and streaming fees? Anything that reduces costs for the supporters - the lifeblood of the game, so we are told.

2. Log in to remove the advert

Quote Originally Posted by WhileTheChief.. View Post
    Do you know any or are you going by what you see in the media? I'm guessing the latter?

STF was extremely wealthy but seemed like a decent bloke. Ron Gordon too. Having loads of money doesn't mean anything at all about the character of the person that has it.

There are just as many skint pricks as there are wealthy ones!
    Aye I was inbetween jobs around 2012-13 and got a job at WH Smith for a few years, we worked on the til and stocked up, closed etc then we got those self service machines fitted for busy times, he used to come in just to buy a newspaper. Before the self service I used to stand and read the paper or a magazine at the til when it was quiet. First couple of times I spoke to him telling him I was a Hibs fan and at the time I was still a season ticket holder but when it was quiet I would be so focused on what I was reading he'd sort of cough, I'd apologise he'd say its fine and had actually looked at what I was reading about, think it was after the euromaiden stuff and the events in Crimea etc 2014, He knew I liked boxing too by spying what I was reading and would talk to me about the stuff going on in Ukraine more than Hibs then not long before I left Ali died and he was the one who brought it up not me, just general chit chat about him and his life but I quite liked how he remembered stuff I was interested in and would bring it up.

Also liked him because if we managed to sell a bar of chocolate for a pound the amount got tallied for each person and the winner each month got noted and how well got tracked for your reviews over time and he always bought one even though he never came for that lol.

Also I've had mates who put money into highly volatile investments that could have ****ed them, like not just some of our savings they hedged alot but worked out and theyre ****ing loaded now, they have new friends in their posh new houses and see pics of them at posh restaraunts with these people, but at the same time they didn't forget their roots and when I still used to be able to go out each weekend the ones who didn't have kids yet still cam back along this way to our old pub then up the toon then back to a randoms house we met etc like we used to before they werre. The ones who had kids still came along for birthday things etc.

I think it may change some people but I think the persons brain is already wired that way, if they were even remotely middle class they would try and act like a prick and better than just your normal working class person, then level up if they get rich. If they're not then they have nothing to brag about yet but that thing inside them that changes them is already there. The people it turns into pricks mostly have their brains wired that way I think same with the people who dont when they become extremely wealthy.

@hibs.net private member jacomo's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by WhileTheChief.. View Post
    Do you know any or are you going by what you see in the media? I'm guessing the latter?

STF was extremely wealthy but seemed like a decent bloke. Ron Gordon too. Having loads of money doesn't mean anything at all about the character of the person that has it.

There are just as many skint pricks as there are wealthy ones!

Yeah unfortunately I do.

I’ve had dealings with quite a few rich people in my career - the decent characters stand out, because most of them are pricks.

Scientific research bares this out - most people get rich through family connections or sheer luck, but if you survey ultra high net worth folk they tend to believe their fortune is down entirely to their own talent and that they deserve every penny.

Wealth corrupts people - which is why capitalism is so dominant, of course.

Quote Originally Posted by Since452 View Post

That's the dailymail mate. About 95% lies.

Quote Originally Posted by Pretty Boy View Post
    I posted the other day about how I had fallen out of love with football over the last few years and stories like this are a huge part of the reason why.

I don't blame Mbappe. If a club, and more importantly, a whole system is stupid enough to facilitate this then why wouldn't he take advantage? Albeit I struggle to think of something you can buy when earning £1M a week that you couldn't buy when earning £500K a week. At what point does more money stop making a practical difference to your life? I'd wager some way before this point. Football is just so unrelatable now though. It's something that has trickled down the levels as well, us also rans have to fight to try to cling onto the coat-tails. Some threads on here would have you questioning if this was a football forum or one for people studying an MBA. That's not a dig at the posters, they are just realistic that football is increasingly a business first and a sport a distant second. The difference is that PSG are arguably less reliant on the fans digging deep than we and others like us are (not that they won't fleece them for every penny regardless of course).

The games done as a sport primarily for local fans, certainly at the top level. It's an experience now and will become ever more of a closed shop. Clubs can have no complaints when fans start acting like the customers they believe us to be.
    That is, without a doubt, exactly how I feel too. There was an opportunity, about 20/25 years ago to introduce wagecapping on a major scale but it fell by the wayside. And the result of that is the rise in power of american and arab billionaires and Russian oligarchs who treat it as a plaything the same way they treat racehorses. Nowadays it's just, as you say, a closed shop. The sport that we all loved is one of the most corrupt institutions in the world nowadays, but despite knowing that, we, along with plenty of highly intelligent people, still buy into it, fully aware of it.

I remember watching a documentary years ago about corruption in Brazillian football. One of the most outspoken critics of the investigation into it was Socrates, who rightly pointed out that the head of the investigation was also the owner of the wealthiest football club in Brazil. The owners would all meet in some smoky hotel somewhere and discuss/arrange the transfers of ordinary quality players to wealthy European clubs, at that time it was the likes of Inter Milan and some of the other Italian big teams. They'd sell them for exhorbitant fees and the slush fund would be split up evenly. Slightly different from what goes on nowadays, but there's one common factor - corruption at the highest levels of football, and it ain't gonna change anytime soon because we all still watch football and probably always will. I'm as guilty as the next person.