hibs.net Messageboard

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by OldEast View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Brazil's 4th goal in the 1970 world cup final against Italy.
    Iconic goal that stayed in the memory all these years

2. Log in to remove the advert

@hibs.net private member
    Scotland’s qualifying for the 1974 World Cup against Czechoslovakia and going on to watch all three, unbeaten, games we played in Germany.

Wembley 1977 is right up there and the turf we brought back.

@hibs.net private member The Modfather's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Smartie View Post
    I was in Paris, but was probably going to go for the scenes around us at the final whistle.

It was the perfect Scotland trip and an outstanding result.

At that point we were very optimistic about our chances of qualification.

What a night that turned out to be.
    I still remember so much about that game. The range of emotions when we scored, did that go in, OMG it actually went in, carnage, what do we do now, we’re ahead in Paris, do we celebrate or panic for the next 30 minutes.

Also remember an announcement about the last metro with about 15 minutes to go and laughing. As if the time of the last metro was on our minds.

Sure France played Lithuania at the next game and the France manager was happy. Not because there would be more French fans in the ground but that there’d be no Scotland fans there 😀

@hibs.net private member Hibernia&Alba's Avatar
    "And Solskjaer has won it"

Nou Camp, 1999

Worst - "Aguerooooooooo"

Etihad, 2012
    HIBERNIAN FC - ON THE RIGHT SIDE OF HISTORY SINCE 1875

@hibs.net private member Hibernian Verse's Avatar
    Seen in person;

- Griffiths 2 x Free kicks v England

Seen on TV

- Aguerrrooooooo
    - Ronaldinho lobbing Seaman from about 40 yards (first World Cup I can remember, might only have been 20 yards )
    - Bafana Bafana dancing out for the opening game of the WC in 2010 and then Tshabalala scoring an absolute screamer to send the Africans into bedlam.
    - Zidane panenka then headbutting Materazzi in the same game
    - Keane & Vieira in the tunnel at Highbury
    - Ibra overhead kick against England from 30 yards

@hibs.net private member
    From a purely neutral perspective, watching the mighty Raith Rovers play Bayern Munich, forgot the first leg was played at Easter Road
    Last edited by Bridge hibs; 23-05-2022 at 07:17 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Hibernia&Alba View Post
    "And Solskjaer has won it"

Nou Camp, 1999

Worst - "Aguerooooooooo"

Etihad, 2012
    I don't follow an English team but "Agueroooo" and the CL99 were fantastic drama to see unfold.

My own favourite was seeing the Real Madrid crowd applaud Ronaldinho after he had torn them apart as a Barcelona player.

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by AndyM_1875 View Post
    I don't follow an English team but "Agueroooo" and the CL99 were fantastic drama to see unfold.

My own favourite was seeing the Real Madrid crowd applaud Ronaldinho after he had torn them apart as a Barcelona player.
    Good point. They did the same for Jimmy Johnson after Puskas’ testimonial. That’s football supporters in action. Appreciating the skills of others whilst passionate about their own team.
    I do wish we could see that return to the game in Scotland. Nowadays it seems to be all about hate.

A rather random one here but does anyone remember the Euro 2000 game between Spain & Yugoslavia? Finished 4-3 to the Spanish. One of those games where it was impossible to keep up to date with all the chances that were created. Spain had to win and scored two goals in injury time to qualify for the next round. It had me choking on my sandwich when the winning goal went in!

Quote Originally Posted by HUTCHYHIBBY View Post
    I was in the middle seats in the stand behind the goal but never saw the goal that was scored because I was too busy watching the crowd whilst the ball was being passed around in midfield! 🙄
    You must've had a pretty short attention span, there was literally no passing around midfield

Left by mutual consent!
    Huns greetin in spain,
    Jambos greetin at Hampden
    Scousers greetin yesterday

If only leeds had gone down ...

@hibs.net private member Hibernia&Alba's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by CentreLine View Post
    Good point. They did the same for Jimmy Johnson after Puskas’ testimonial. That’s football supporters in action. Appreciating the skills of others whilst passionate about their own team.
    I do wish we could see that return to the game in Scotland. Nowadays it seems to be all about hate.
    I remember the Brazilian Ronaldo being applauded off at Old Trafford. I think he was subbed after scoring a hat-trick for Real Madrid. There was a Spanish game where the home support gave Messi a standing ovation after he scored a brilliant goal. But it doesn't happen often.
    HIBERNIAN FC - ON THE RIGHT SIDE OF HISTORY SINCE 1875

@hibs.net private member weecounty hibby's Avatar
    Being at all three games at Italia90. Especially the Sweden game, atmosphere like nothing I'd seen until 21st May 2016.
    Euro 96 v England. Half time sing song in the Scotland end with the England fans watching on in amazement
    Being in the Stadium when Scotland kicked off the 98 World Cup. Got even more mental when we equalised v Brazil
    Andy King scoring v Liverpool in 78. Goal of the season and why I ended up as an Everton fan

Quote Originally Posted by Broken Gnome View Post
    You must've had a pretty short attention span, there was literally no passing around midfield
    Aye...goalie to mcfadden...goal.

@hibs.net private member Billy Whizz's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by CentreLine View Post
    Scotland’s qualifying for the 1974 World Cup against Czechoslovakia and going on to watch all three, unbeaten, games we played in Germany.

Wembley 1977 is right up there and the turf we brought back.
    Jordan’s goal to qualify still gives me goosebumps
    Think Arthur Montford was the commentator

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by SteveHFC View Post
    Leigh’s 2nd free kick against England, was sitting behind the goals at Hampden for that game and when that goal went into the net. The place erupted. The limbs/celebration’s in the stands still gives me goosebumps to this day.
    There's a video on Youtube that captures the whole thing from the England end. Fair play to the guy as he keeps recording through the Scotland celebrations but gets his reward by getting Kane's equaliser too. It's a great video that captures the essence of being a football fan. The quiet despair in one part of the stadium, the ecstacy in the other part, the taunting... then it flips on it's head two minutes later. (switching off around 3:30 is advised for some)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eu56-9LMn9s&t

@hibs.net private member Northernhibee's Avatar
    Greece winning the Euros. Real fairytale stuff (that and Leicester winning the league).

Do you think your security can keep you in purity, you will not shake us off above or below. Scottish friction, Scottish fiction

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by LustForLeith View Post
    Brilliant drama at both ends of the Premier table today for me thinking about my favourite moment of e watching football that didn’t involve Hibs.

Quite a few but I’ll often go back to the YouTube clip of Watford v Leicester. Leicester player dives for a penalty in the last minute, scores to put them through to the play off final. He takes the penalty, keeper saves it, saves the rebound, ball gets launched up the park.

And the rest is history…

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=6TnKvlQ2h7s

I remember watching this in the Dockers. Stunned
    Fans-eye-view youtube for that one! I know people with phones at games are annoying, but they sometimes get some great footage!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9-5KyjC5K-c

@hibs.net private member
    I was working in Vodafone at the time of the Aguero last minute winner, we’d left 1 guy on the shop floor and about 7 of us huddled around an iPad in the back office. We went mental when he scored even though none of us supported Man City.

Liverpools comeback vs AC Milan and against Barca a few years back are standouts too.

But my own would be Lucas Moura in the last minute vs Ajax, Spurs have always been my ‘second team’ ever since I was a wee boy and watching them steal it with the last kick of the ball to go into the champions league final was incredible to see.

Also seen them leather Hearts 5 zip in person at Tynie when they played them in the europa qualifiers

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Pele, Brazil world cup Final? 1970, dummied the keeper ran around him but just missed the goal, brilliant, just brilliant.
    Also have to mention Maradona for Napoli v Stuttgart the game in Stuttgart and the wee man took them apart to win the Fairs Cup or whatever it was called at the time.
    Last edited by A Hi-Bee; 23-05-2022 at 10:01 AM.

@hibs.net private member One Day Soon's Avatar
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: 4 PSN ID: 6 Wii Code: 5
    Italy winning the World Cup in 1982.

Beating Argentina, West Germany and Brazil to win it with the astonishing goal scoring performance across the tournament of Paolo Rossi and the absolutely iconic goal celebration of Marco Tardelli.

Beating that West German team was impressive but not as sweet as paying Brazil back for the 1970 final. Sure, you can play in the heat of Mexico and you're great on the beach but can you do it on a balmy July evening in Barcelona?

Leigh Griffiths banging in two against England

Quote Originally Posted by Broken Gnome View Post
    It was just amazing to see the number of fans we had in that stadium, as I said wasn't paying as much attention to the on field action as I should've been.
    Last edited by HUTCHYHIBBY; 23-05-2022 at 11:01 AM.

@hibs.net private member Frazerbob's Avatar
    Maradona's wonder goal against England in '86. His 2nd wasn't too bad either!

Quote Originally Posted by Frazerbob View Post
    Maradona's wonder goal against England in '86. His 2nd wasn't too bad either!
    For his first goal, he displayed greater goalkeeping attributes than Peter Shilton.

Quote Originally Posted by ChilliEater View Post
    The game that got Scotland to Argentina. Dalglish's goal still gives me goosebumps.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ERW4pgWQUww
    This, but with Archie's commentary. I think he creamed himself........

Barcelona's comeback against PSG is up there.

Quote Originally Posted by ChilliEater View Post
    The game that got Scotland to Argentina. Dalglish's goal still gives me goosebumps.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ERW4pgWQUww
    Forgot about that one. One of my favourite ever players, Martin Buchan, lost and running up the right wing. What a goal though.....

"Maradona has Burruchaga to his left and Valdano to his left. He doesn’t use them. He won’t need any of them. You have to say that’s magnificent."