hibs.net Messageboard

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    @hibs.net private member Alex Trager's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by RIP View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    The board is made up of Hibs fans, and they go to games and must be suffering as much if not more than we are.

Brian Houston was the director rep on the ‘Vision’ team that helped convince Rod and his fellow directors of the need for change.

Trust me, Ben is at the forefront of some imaginative money generating initiatives that will see a significant uplift in our income. Let’s not throw the baby out with the bath water.

I have been discussing with fellow fans that a meeting of the ‘Hibernian Family’ is what’s needed. We held these gatherings several times in the Lindsay/Hyland/Dempster eras and invited reps from the Board/ Shareholders/ HSA/Historical Trust/ Foundation/ Academy/ Leith Lynx / Net/ Bounce and Ultras.

We have a rich seam of talented, intelligent, articulate fans who have experience of a wide range of businesses. Bringing them all together will bring unity and have us all pulling in the same direction when the going is tough.

This is our club and these guys are learning the hard way how to run a football club. It’s time to step forward with reinforcements.
    Hi RIP.

I tried to get through to you when I originally posted this vis private message, but not sure if you seen it.

Check your pms please mate

2. Log in to remove the advert

@hibs.net private member worcesterhibby's Avatar
    This "system" under Leeann with Stubbs in charge is one that had is stuck in the Championship for 3 seasons. In Stubbs last season in charge we came 3rd behind falkirk. We lost or drew to Championship standard sides 15 times out of 36 matches...not in the first 4 games he was in charge with a whole bunch of new players unavailable...he lost or drew 15 times against championship sides when he had already been in the job for a year and had brought in a host of players we seem to believe are better that what we currently have.

I'm all for analysing what is wrong with the club at the moment and trying to find a solution to ensure we see some more attacking, winning football, but let's not re-write history. Without the Cup win, Stubbs team had under achieved for 2 years and failed to prove they were a better side than falkirk over the long haul.

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by worcesterhibby View Post
    This "system" under Leeann with Stubbs in charge is one that had is stuck in the Championship for 3 seasons. In Stubbs last season in charge we came 3rd behind falkirk. We lost or drew to Championship standard sides 15 times out of 36 matches...not in the first 4 games he was in charge with a whole bunch of new players unavailable...he lost or drew 15 times against championship sides when he had already been in the job for a year and had brought in a host of players we seem to believe are better that what we currently have.

I'm all for analysing what is wrong with the club at the moment and trying to find a solution to ensure we see some more attacking, winning football, but let's not re-write history. Without the Cup win, Stubbs team had under achieved for 2 years and failed to prove they were a better side than falkirk over the long haul.
    It’s an unbalanced view this . Without evening talking about the first two season in the championship and the quality of the opposition we had . In the third season we came as close to winning the cup double that we ever have. We did win the holy grail. Our football was often fun to watch too. The next two years the “structure” not only had us win the league it also recorded a great performance in the top league . It was also still in place when we secured third with JR.

A season where we had to build from scratch after a play off relegation at a time where The Rangers and the Noisy Neighbours were also in the Championship we were always going to be up against it trying to get out and then, with The Rangers - on a far higher budget - also failing to get out at the first time of asking it was similarly not straightforward the following season.

Let’s not lose all context.

As disappointing some results were under Stubbs, he got hibs and we took to him fairly quickly i think

His teams were attacking and we tried to play football in an entertaining manner.

Bought terrific young Scottish players also.

Weirdly, apart from the obvious game and highlight

Stubbs era was generally entertaining

Legend

@hibs.net private member
    So we want someone in a new role that's experienced in the role and the favourite is John Collins - whose never done the DoF role beofre?

That's selective to fit your narrative though.

Just after Christmas we were 2 points behind Rangers in the league and Stubbs, regrettably imo, said we were aiming to win a treble. We lost at Ibrox on 28th December but then went 6 unbeaten and kept ourselves in touch.

Unfortunately this preceded then coincided with us playing an insane number of games and we tailed off badly. From late February we played:

24th Feb
    27th Feb
    1st March
    6th March
    13th March
    16th March
    19th March

That's 7 games in 24 days or another way a game every 3 and a half days. We followed that up by playing:

2nd April
    5th April
    9th April
    12th April
    16th April
    20th April
    23rd April
    26th April

That's an even worse 8 games in 24 days. A game every 3 days.

Squads with the ability to rotate regularly would have struggled to maintain any kind of form with that schedule. Worth bearing in mind some great results fell into that period. The come from behind draw at Tynecastle, wining the replay, beating Rangers at ER, Beating ICT away in the cup, beating Dundee Utd in the Scottish Cup semi final.

Everyone was disappointed with the league campaign that year but there was so many reasons for our tailing off. We were a far better side than Falkirk that year but were fighting on 3 fronts to the very end.
    PM Awards General Poster of The Year 2015, 2016, 2017. Probably robbed in other years

Quote Originally Posted by Pretty Boy View Post
    That's selective to fit your narrative though.

Just after Christmas we were 2 points behind Rangers in the league and Stubbs, regrettably imo, said we were aiming to win a treble. We lost at Ibrox on 28th December but then went 6 unbeaten and kept ourselves in touch.

Unfortunately this preceded then coincided with us playing an insane number of games and we tailed off badly. From late February we played:

24th Feb
    27th Feb
    1st March
    6th March
    13th March
    16th March
    19th March

That's 7 games in 24 days or another way a game every 3 and a half days. We followed that up by playing:

2nd April
    5th April
    9th April
    12th April
    16th April
    20th April
    23rd April
    26th April

That's an even worse 8 games in 24 days. A game every 3 days.

Squads with the ability to rotate regularly would have struggled to maintain any kind of form with that schedule. Worth bearing in mind some great results fell into that period. The come from behind draw at Tynecastle, wining the replay, beating Rangers at ER, Beating ICT away in the cup, beating Dundee Utd in the Scottish Cup semi final.

Everyone was disappointed with the league campaign that year but there was so many reasons for our tailing off. We were a far better side than Falkirk that year but were fighting on 3 fronts to the very end.
    Absolutely. I take your point. I'm in no way against looking to introduce a director of football role.. Leeann certainly did a lot of things right (outside of the commercial operation which was to be honest a fiasco) and her and Stubbs did a pretty decent job of fostering a "Hibernian family" feel to the club. I just get very frustrated that our new manager is getting pelters for a couple of results that were fairly standard fair under our most loved manager of recent years, particularly as he has had zip all time to get them playing how he wants and hardly any of the new signings can play.

That says to me, if we are only taking what you are saying as the situation that unfolded (fwiw I agree with you re the league performance) that we needed better people behind the scenes, rather than not having these people there.

RG talks about upgrading people all the time. If we take that at face value, why did he not upgrade Mathie, instead of getting rid of the position altogether.

Absolutely. I take your point. I'm in no way against looking to introduce a director of football role.. Leeann certainly did a lot of things right (outside of the commercial operation which was to be honest a fiasco) and her and Stubbs did a pretty decent job of fostering a "Hibernian family" feel to the club. I just get very frustrated that our new manager is getting pelters for a couple of results that were fairly standard fair under our most loved manager of recent years, particularly as he has had zip all time to get them playing how he wants and hardly any of the new signings can play.
    Fwiw mate, my post and the logic behind this thread is in no way aimed at LJ.

This is at the structure of the club, perhaps more so, the personnel.

I wouldn’t be too bothered about the structure, if the people in place were experienced and successful (to a degree that would enable them to come to Hibs, I’m not looking for the Liverpool DoF).

Absolutely here.Rudderless ship at the moment.

I honestly don't understand the manager being in the firing line at all tbh. I like him and he has my full backing as it stands.

For me the issue is structural on the football side. Not even the entire footbal side either, I think Kean is doing a lot of good work in his role. It needs someone to pull it altogether though and until that happens I foresee a situation whereby managers are almost always under pressure because the environment to do their best work doesn't really exist.

It's probably my real frustration with Gordon et al. They are evidently doing a lot of good stuff commercially and logistically but until the football side is coherent and starts delivering it's never going to all fall into place. It needs an honest appraisal of the failings and changes to be made to allow a man who i genuinely believe to be a good manager to succeed. I fear without that we will be having a very similar conversation in 6 and 12 months time.
    PM Awards General Poster of The Year 2015, 2016, 2017. Probably robbed in other years

Quote Originally Posted by Alex Trager View Post
    How do we get this through to the owner though?

This is imperative
    Start a podcast
    Become a Ron ‘fanboy’
    Skirt round asking important questions

Seems to work

@hibs.net private member CropleyWasGod's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by IanM View Post
    Start a podcast
    Become a Ron ‘fanboy’

Seems to work
    What questions were skirted around?

@hibs.net private member BroxburnHibee's Avatar
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: CoolHibeesdaft PSN ID: Hibeesdaft
    Quote Originally Posted by Pretty Boy View Post
    I honestly don't understand the manager being in the firing line at all tbh. I like him and he has my full backing as it stands.

For me the issue is structural on the football side. Not even the entire footbal side either, I think Kean is doing a lot of good work in his role. It needs someone to pull it altogether though and until that happens I foresee a situation whereby managers are almost always under pressure because the environment to do their best work doesn't really exist.

It's probably my real frustration with Gordon et al. They are evidently doing a lot of good stuff commercially and logistically but until the football side is coherent and starts delivering it's never going to all fall into place. It needs an honest appraisal of the failings and changes to be made to allow a man who i genuinely believe to be a good manager to succeed. I fear without that we will be having a very similar conversation in 6 and 12 months time.
    This where I am with it. Until this 'system' of recruitment changes then we're gonna keep going round in circles.

6, 12 months will just become 18, 24, 30, 36........
    Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, vodka in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming, "WOO HOO what a ride!"

Start a podcast
    Become a Ron ‘fanboy’

Seems to work
    What absolute nonsense.

I asked him directly if he’d appoint a sporting director because there are first timers in the football ops positions.

Multiple podcasters are very critical of the current stewardship. It’s nothing to do with being a fanboy and everything to do with having an audience. That’s why invites are sent. You should take the tin foil hat off when it’s storming outside btw.

Start a podcast
    Become a Ron ‘fanboy’

Seems to work
    Totally unfair.

I know at least 3 of the guys who appeared yesterday to varying degrees and have exchanged messages with most of the others. Whilst they all hold different viewpoints about the way the club is being run even the most positive isn't a 'fanboy'. I had the opportunity to be involved myself but was unable to due to work commitments and I've hardly been singing the praises of Ron in recent weeks and months.

Fwiw none of the questions asked were screened beforehand and I thought there were a few clear signs of frustration and annoyance from RG around questions he didn't like. Some of his answers were decent, others I felt he skirted the issue or failed to really read the room but that group format is never going to allow every point to be pressed too far.

These guys aren't professional journos and did a decent job to ask a mix of questions in a respectful but challenging manner.

Quote Originally Posted by Waxy View Post
    Absolutely here.Rudderless ship at the moment.

Quote Originally Posted by munchar View Post
    Pat Nevin. Wealth of experience, loads of contacts, Hibs fan, knows the difference between quality players & mediocre.
    Great call. Pat is a smart guy and knows the game inside out.

@hibs.net private member overdrive's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Danderhall Hibs View Post
    So we want someone in a new role that's experienced in the role and the favourite is John Collins - whose never done the DoF role beofre?
    He has. At Livi when Hughes was their manager. I don’t want him though as he failed in that role too.

First Team Breakthrough
    You can see Pat on 12 August speaking about his book - Pat Nevin – The Accidental Footballer. I like the way he speaks about football, and music, and although he was at Motherwell when they went bust, as Chief Executive he gave John Boyle 3 options on how to spend his millions - Boyle chose to splash the cash, rather than to have a long term financial plan. And Motherwell went into administration.

Quote Originally Posted by Vault Boy View Post
    What absolute nonsense.

I asked him directly if he’d appoint a sporting director because there are first timers in the football ops positions.

Multiple podcasters are very critical of the current stewardship. It’s nothing to do with being a fanboy and everything to do with having an audience. That’s why invites are sent. You should take the tin foil hat off when it’s storming outside btw.
    😂 sorry, was just being wide.. Listened to the cast, let’s hope you’re still not asking the same questions in another few months time.

My attempt at Friday bantz has ended

Stubbs side were miles better than Falkirk. Hence why we won a Scottish cup while they achieved nothing. The refs giving them the playoff and injuries hurting our league campaign don't change that. We won the Scottish cup. We took on everyone, battled and played to win every match and were the first Hibs side ever to reach both cup finals in a season.

It's pathetic folk remember them for finishing behind Falkirk on goal difference.

Quote Originally Posted by MWHIBBIES View Post
    Stubbs side were miles better than Falkirk. Hence why we won a Scottish cup while they achieved nothing. The refs giving them the playoff and injuries hurting our league campaign don't change that. We won the Scottish cup. We took on everyone, battled and played to win every match and were the first Hibs side ever to reach both cup finals in a season.

It's pathetic folk remember them for finishing behind Falkirk on goal difference.
    Mate I loved the Stubbs side and I wasn't meaning my post to demean the time that he was out manager...It was more of an attempt to point out that even good Hibs sides, who we loved, regularly drew with teams like Morton and lost to falkirk..I was attempting to ask for the current management to be given time, rather than attempting to dismiss the positivity of his time in charge.

Mate I loved the Stubbs side and I wasn't meaning my post to demean the time that he was out manager...It was more of an attempt to point out that even good Hibs sides, who we loved, regularly drew with teams like Morton and lost to falkirk..I was attempting to ask for the current management to be given time, rather than attempting to dismiss the positivity of his time in charge.
    Fair enough.

That side also regularly battered hearts and rangers. I'll take that trade again

Quote Originally Posted by Just_Jimmy View Post
    I think for a club like hibs, where staff turnover is high, including players and managers,it's more important to have the correct structure.

Dempster talked about a set up where the head coach was recruited on how they would fit the system which should bring continuity.

That way you're acquiring and developing players and the coach slots in, contributes then moves on with minimal disruption.

This worked from Stubbs to lennon. Then fell apart because we let lennon become bigger than the role in the way he acted.

We then seemed to move away. The recruitment under Stubbs was the best I can remember in modern times (without TV money). We need to get back to that.

Sent from my SM-G991B using Tapatalk
    Ask George Craig to come back to rebuild the structure. If Ron Gordon wants his son in that department then maybe Mr Craig could mentor him!!

@hibs.net private member Carheenlea's Avatar
    The first I’d heard that we had a new sporting director was yesterday during the fallout to the ineligible player debacle.

Quote Originally Posted by Carheenlea View Post
    The first I’d heard that we had a new sporting director was yesterday during the fallout to the ineligible player debacle.
    Who is the new sporting director?

😂 sorry, was just being wide.. Listened to the cast, let’s hope you’re still not asking the same questions in another few months time.

My attempt at Friday bantz has ended
    Biggest bite I’ve ever made

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by Vault Boy View Post
    What absolute nonsense.

Was one of the questions Ron came over most defensive on that one