hibs.net Messageboard

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

This is how it feels (Hearts 16 04 2022)

My heart was broken today, not by the result, which was obviously disappointing, rather because of the bursting pride I felt at this Hibs team’s performance and the immense backing from start to finish by a fantastic Hibs support. A performance that was the polar opposite from the capitulation of last week and a performance that proved we can and did physically outmatch Hearts all over the pitch with perhaps the one exception.

For weeks, many have been calling for a change of formation and watching the warm up today it was noticeable that a back four was being worked on. Up until now, that exercise has involved a back five with the three central defenders and the two wide midfield players. Today, it was indeed a back four when out of possession, changing to 3-1-4-2 when we had the ball. Almost from the off we looked a better shape and crucially, the players seemed much more comfortable.

As to our starting eleven, I’m absolutely certain I wouldn’t have been the only one to think ‘what the hell?’ as our three most used attackers were left on the bench whilst James Scott was charged with leading the line. Then there was the inclusion of Paul McGinn at right back. Paul has been out injured for weeks and so it was a surprise to see him start today.

In the opening minutes, Haring fouled Henderson allowing the Hibs man to provide a cross into the box which Hanlon met but couldn’t beat Gordon. Already there were some crunching tackles going in and a James Scott foul led to a chance for Boyce, but the effort flew wide. Around the ten minute mark, Joe Newell was booked for a foul on Barry McKay, and I felt that was very harsh. Newell was chasing McKay and leaning on him but as the Hearts man was going to ground, Doyle-Hayes clearly fouled him and so in my view Beaton booked the wrong man, a decision that would cost Hibs later in the game.

Just past the quarter hour mark, Hibs gifted an opening to Ellis Simms and the big striker said thanks very much by smashing a twenty yarder past Macey. The ball had reached Simms because two Hibs players got themselves in a tangle and the ball ran free. A shocker of an error and a costly one too. Both sides were trading blows and it was fantastic to see our players more than willing to get involved in the physical stuff. Unfortunately, Harry Clarke overstepped the mark in fouling Atkinson to concede a fee kick which Hearts used to put a training ground spin on things and were rewarded with a second goal. One disappointment for me at that point was James Scott’s half hearted effort to block Kingsley’s shot.

The taste of losing a goal was still very much in the mouth when Stevenson chased a ball that Newell had given up on. Lewis gained possession, skipped along the bye line and cut the ball back to Cadden whose right footed effort struck team mate Joe Newall and bounce back out for Chris to fire a left foot shot past Gordon. That silenced the Hearts support and put Hibs right back in the picture. Crunching tackles were being traded and Hibs seemed to revel in that whilst Hearts looked a bit shell shocked. Certainly, from the goal onwards we were the better team and around five minutes from the break, Andy Halliday was forced to leave the field through injury and was replaced by Aaron McEneff. Halliday had been busy in midfield and his replacement wasn’t offering the same which allowed Hibs to enjoy more possession. For all Hibs were enjoying that possession, Liam Boyce almost made them pay the penalty in time added on as he latched on to a through ball and fired his shot across Macey but had to watch it fly past the far post.

Neither manager made half time changes but unlike last week when we conceded a second it was Hibs on the front foot by now and in trying to clear his lines, Halkett went down and stayed down before leaving the field on a stretcher. Five minutes, a stunning save by Craig Gordon denied Hibs an equaliser. A Henderson corner was met by the head of Ryan Porteous who did everything right by glancing his header towards the far corner of the net. Somehow, Gordon got fingertips to it and diverted the ball on to the post. As it came back into play, James Scott was poised to tap the ball home but instead the ball rebounded directly into the waiting arms of the grounded Gordon. Hibs were going really well at this point and the Hearts support was getting restless but suddenly, an adrenaline fuelled challenge by Joe Newell on Peter Haring had John Beaton reaching for his pocket and showing yellow then red cards to send Newell off. That was a huge blow as I don’t think many could argue that Hibs were all over them at that point.

For a few minutes, Hearts looked like they might take advantage of the extra man, but it was Hibs looking the most likely to score. Even a man down, Hibs still looked the better side and Hearts didn’t like it, slowing things down with spurios injuries that required treatment. Next in the book was Alex Cochrane for clipping the heels of Ewan Henderson before Simms and McKay missed with half chances and then Clarke blazed over at the other end. This was some game, a real cup tie and no quarter was being asked or given by either side.

With fifteen minutes left, Shaun Maloney made a double change by replacing McGinn and Stevenson with Campbell and Melkersen. McGinn I could understand given he was just back from injury but Lewis being hooked was a complete mystery to me. Still, Campbell was soon in the action but fired a shot high and wide and then Craig Gordon was in action again when he dived low to his right to push Ewan Henderson’s shot around the post. Campbell then got himself booked for a late challenge on McKay. It looked a bad one and the Hearts players reacted angrily, with a bit of pushing and shoving going on before Beaton settled things down again by adding Haring and Hanlon to his yellow card count.

The clock was ticking now, and it was obvious that John Beaton was going to have to add a decent slice on because of Hearts’ time wasting antics. Against ten men, leading 2-1 and wasting every bit of time they could get away with. Still Hibs pushed and Melkersen went oh so close when he stooped to header a chance just wide before the fourth official indicated there would be eight minutes of added time. Jasper and Mueller were added at the expense of Henderson and Scott as the Hibs support did its level best to roar the ten men on.

Hearts, however, had other ideas and every shy, bye kick and so on took an age. Craig Gordon was adjudged to have been fouled in his penalty area and went down like a sniper had been at work. Once he’d got back on his feet, he tried to take the resultant free kick from yards outside the area and was rightly booked. Ryan Porteous pushed forward to aid the search for an equaliser and was fouled just outside the eighteen yard box. Jasper stepped up to take it and his shot deflected off a defender before Gordon punched it clear.

A great cup tie and to my mind a gutsy and admirable performance from Hibs.

The players

Macey – Some around me thought he might have saved the first goal if not the second, but I thought they were great hits and Matt had no chance. His distribution from feet was horrendous today though.

McGinn – After such a long lay off I thought Paul did pretty well although he might have been at fault at the first goal.

Porteous – Solid enough but struggled against Simms which surprised me.

Hanlon – Also struggled against Simms and looked a bit jittery under pressure at times.

Cadden – That engine just keeps purring and I have to say well done at the goal and his celebration after it!

Doyle-Hayes – Caused a few moans with backward passes but he’ll argue that at least we kept possession as a result.

Newell - So very unlucky to see red but the second yellow came from a silly challenge.

Stevenson – Every challenge was won, some of them bone crunchers. My man of the match.

Clarke – I reckon he’s going to be a firm favourite in a Hibs jersey.

Henderson – A very impressive performance from the laddie.

Scott – I crucified him last week, but he made me eat my words today. Held the ball up well and had good movement throughout.

Campbell – Lucky not to see red for a poor challenge on McKay.

Melkersen – If only that header had gone in.

Mueller – Hardly on long enough to show anything.

Jasper – Nice effort at the free kick.

Shaun Maloney – Don’t revert to type against St. Mirren, Shaun.

Referee – John Beaton … end of.
    This is how it feels

2. Log in to remove the advert

Well said Johnny, nice well balanced piece without the hysteria good to read as ever. I though Porto eventually managed to get to grips with the big lump on loan to them from Everton.
    Hibs did play well, we just lack that cutting edge along with a wee bit of luck.

A good summary as usual but I disagree strongly regarding Newell.

First Team Breakthrough
    Thanks as always John, a tough one to type up I’m sure - we deserved so much more.

Nothing unlucky about Newell’s red though. First yellow was stupid, his second card was another level stupid. He never learns. Can’t tackle and thinks he can make up for it by lunging in. His recklessness has cost us dearly and Maloney should have seen it coming, like most of us could, and subbed him off after the previous foul.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

First Team Breakthrough
    Good summary as per normal JB.

Think you have a good case for promoting Lewis Stevenson as MOTM.

But for me Chris Cadden just edged it.That’s why I have voted for him as player of the year.

Didn’t see much difference from Newell being off the park.He contributed zero when he was on it.

Quote Originally Posted by Col L View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Thanks as always John, a tough one to type up I’m sure - we deserved so much more.

Nothing unlucky about Newell’s red though. First yellow was stupid, his second card was another level stupid. He never learns. Can’t tackle and thinks he can make up for it by lunging in. His recklessness has cost us dearly and Maloney should have seen it coming, like most of us could, and subbed him off after the previous foul.

Beaton was quick to book Hibs players while more often than not dishing out mere talking's to for similar fouls from Hearts players especially in the first half. How Cochrane stayed on the park for at least two if not three bookable incidents was disgraceful from Beaton.

Your take on Newell is madness. Let his mates down. Stupidity.

Great summary again.
    I’m not so sure it was physically possible for Scott to put in a block for the second goal, he was slightly wrong footed . Looked like it should have been doable but I don’t think it was
    Every gimmick hungry yob,
    Digging gold from rock and roll
    Grabs the mic to tell us,
    He'll die before he's sold.

@hibs.net private member
    McGinn was caught on the ball for their first goal, comes from our own free kick which is why there was such a distance between Porteous & Hanlon.

Newell was lucky he wasn’t sent off earlier than what he actually was, absolutely criminal someone of his experience let’s the entire side down when we were really knocking on the door.

@hibs.net private member
    Spot on J pretty much word for word how I feel about the game.

Clarke cannot play LWB. He struggled defensively and the constant need to cut inside took the steam out of numerous attacks.

Another nonsense choice by Maloney to deploy him there

@hibs.net private member Bostonhibby's Avatar
    Good summary JB, thanks.

Just reflecting on what I witnessed today, we turned up, Beaton did just enough to stay on the right side of not being too enthusiastic about penalizing Hibs players but it was a factor.

We've paid for the season our owners and various hangers on presided over, the players today generally never let us down and your man of the match was right, but man of the season should be Cadden, he gives a f....

Sent from my SM-A750FN using Tapatalk

"I did not need any persuasion to play for such a great club, the Hibs result is still one of the first I look for"

Sir Matt Busby

@hibs.net private member Radium's Avatar
    Thank you again for taking the time to compile your reports. Last two weeks have captured the emotions of each day well.

@hibs.net private member
    Thanks JC, cant argue with that write up

@hibs.net private member Hermit Crab's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by B.H.F.C View Post

Agree, ridiculous challenge to make on a yellow. Fud.
    Hibs.nets negative posting legend and unofficial ticket agent.

@hibs.net private member HibbyAndy's Avatar
    Stevenson was MOTM , This guy has never lost a 50/50 , Never bottled out a challenge in his life !

@hibs.net private member
    Excellent summary. Not much to argue with. I'm thoroughly enjoying Lewis' renaissance in midfield.

Perhaps I'm too lenient on Maloney but I think I see what he is trying to do, and it's not as if he's had a settled bunch of players to do it with, what with injuries and suspensions left right and centre.
    Last edited by I_Love_Latapy; 16-04-2022 at 09:24 PM.

Your comments are always thoughtful and accurate. Well done doing that today.

Lewis was on another level. I’d be tempted to have him play that role permanently.

Well reported again,JB
    Best Hibs reporter since Stewart Brown !!

In a not so good season,its difficult to be thinking of Player of the Year.
    But agree with BH about Cadden.
    And i know he hasn't played as many games,but Lewis deserves mention for his contribution this term.
    Ever dependable/reliable and understated. Wonderful servant to Hibernian.

Quote Originally Posted by Key West View Post
    A good summary as usual but I disagree strongly regarding Newell.
    Having now watched the incidents again, I also disagree with my comments

Quote Originally Posted by B.H.F.C View Post
    Yep, on reflection you are spot on

Quote Originally Posted by Hermit Crab View Post
    Agree, ridiculous challenge to make on a yellow. Fud.
    I take it you meant Newell and not me
    This is how it feels

@hibs.net private member Lancs Harp's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by CL0762;6925413[B
    ]McGinn was caught on the ball for their first goal, comes from our own free kick which is why there was such a distance between Porteous & Hanlon.[/B]

Newell was lucky he wasn’t sent off earlier than what he actually was, absolutely criminal someone of his experience let’s the entire side down when we were really knocking on the door.
    Agree mate i thought he struggled a bit myself today.

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jonnyboy View Post

Was interesting hearing Maloney and Stevenson after match comments . Manager had asked the players to play right on the edge …they players responded to be fair ..Always a risk that something like that happens ….

Wonderful report again JB ..even more authentic when you reflect on it occasionally ..the honesty of the after match views “in the moment” - are part of what makes this weekly thread top class

Of course Newell JB.

Quote Originally Posted by Hermit Crab View Post
    Of course Newell JB.
    This is how it feels

Quote Originally Posted by bigwheel View Post
    Was interesting hearing Maloney and Stevenson after match comments . Manager had asked the players to play right on the edge …they players responded to be fair ..Always a risk that something like that happens ….

Wonderful report again JB ..even more authentic when you reflect on it occasionally ..the honesty of the after match views “in the moment” - are part of what makes this weekly thread top class

Theres playing on the edge and theres plain stupidity. Newell now joins Sproule, Smith and Kujabi on the wall of red card shame in games v hearts at Hampden.

Thanks JB.

Newell let us down badly. We were dominating the game and gave us minimal chance of winning. The team responded brilliantly but not quite enough

Agree re Stevenson. Absolutely superb today. Total commitment. Box to box all the time on the park

Wouldn’t have taken him off

Left by mutual consent!
    My heart was broken today, not by the result, which was obviously disappointing, rather because of the bursting pride I felt at this Hibs team’s performance and the immense backing from start to finish by a fantastic Hibs support. A performance that was the polar opposite from the capitulation of last week and a performance that proved we can and did physically outmatch Hearts all over the pitch with perhaps the one exception.

For weeks, many have been calling for a change of formation and watching the warm up today it was noticeable that a back four was being worked on. Up until now, that exercise has involved a back five with the three central defenders and the two wide midfield players. Today, it was indeed a back four when out of possession, changing to 3-1-4-2 when we had the ball. Almost from the off we looked a better shape and crucially, the players seemed much more comfortable.

As to our starting eleven, I’m absolutely certain I wouldn’t have been the only one to think ‘what the hell?’ as our three most used attackers were left on the bench whilst James Scott was charged with leading the line. Then there was the inclusion of Paul McGinn at right back. Paul has been out injured for weeks and so it was a surprise to see him start today.

In the opening minutes, Haring fouled Henderson allowing the Hibs man to provide a cross into the box which Hanlon met but couldn’t beat Gordon. Already there were some crunching tackles going in and a James Scott foul led to a chance for Boyce, but the effort flew wide. Around the ten minute mark, Joe Newell was booked for a foul on Barry McKay, and I felt that was very harsh. Newell was chasing McKay and leaning on him but as the Hearts man was going to ground, Doyle-Hayes clearly fouled him and so in my view Beaton booked the wrong man, a decision that would cost Hibs later in the game.

Just past the quarter hour mark, Hibs gifted an opening to Ellis Simms and the big striker said thanks very much by smashing a twenty yarder past Macey. The ball had reached Simms because two Hibs players got themselves in a tangle and the ball ran free. A shocker of an error and a costly one too. Both sides were trading blows and it was fantastic to see our players more than willing to get involved in the physical stuff. Unfortunately, Harry Clarke overstepped the mark in fouling Atkinson to concede a fee kick which Hearts used to put a training ground spin on things and were rewarded with a second goal. One disappointment for me at that point was James Scott’s half hearted effort to block Kingsley’s shot.

The taste of losing a goal was still very much in the mouth when Stevenson chased a ball that Newell had given up on. Lewis gained possession, skipped along the bye line and cut the ball back to Cadden whose right footed effort struck team mate Joe Newall and bounce back out for Chris to fire a left foot shot past Gordon. That silenced the Hearts support and put Hibs right back in the picture. Crunching tackles were being traded and Hibs seemed to revel in that whilst Hearts looked a bit shell shocked. Certainly, from the goal onwards we were the better team and around five minutes from the break, Andy Halliday was forced to leave the field through injury and was replaced by Aaron McEneff. Halliday had been busy in midfield and his replacement wasn’t offering the same which allowed Hibs to enjoy more possession. For all Hibs were enjoying that possession, Liam Boyce almost made them pay the penalty in time added on as he latched on to a through ball and fired his shot across Macey but had to watch it fly past the far post.

Neither manager made half time changes but unlike last week when we conceded a second it was Hibs on the front foot by now and in trying to clear his lines, Halkett went down and stayed down before leaving the field on a stretcher. Five minutes, a stunning save by Craig Gordon denied Hibs an equaliser. A Henderson corner was met by the head of Ryan Porteous who did everything right by glancing his header towards the far corner of the net. Somehow, Gordon got fingertips to it and diverted the ball on to the post. As it came back into play, James Scott was poised to tap the ball home but instead the ball rebounded directly into the waiting arms of the grounded Gordon. Hibs were going really well at this point and the Hearts support was getting restless but suddenly, an adrenaline fuelled challenge by Joe Newell on Peter Haring had John Beaton reaching for his pocket and showing yellow then red cards to send Newell off. That was a huge blow as I don’t think many could argue that Hibs were all over them at that point.

For a few minutes, Hearts looked like they might take advantage of the extra man, but it was Hibs looking the most likely to score. Even a man down, Hibs still looked the better side and Hearts didn’t like it, slowing things down with spurios injuries that required treatment. Next in the book was Alex Cochrane for clipping the heels of Ewan Henderson before Simms and McKay missed with half chances and then Clarke blazed over at the other end. This was some game, a real cup tie and no quarter was being asked or given by either side.

With fifteen minutes left, Shaun Maloney made a double change by replacing McGinn and Stevenson with Campbell and Melkersen. McGinn I could understand given he was just back from injury but Lewis being hooked was a complete mystery to me. Still, Campbell was soon in the action but fired a shot high and wide and then Craig Gordon was in action again when he dived low to his right to push Ewan Henderson’s shot around the post. Campbell then got himself booked for a late challenge on McKay. It looked a bad one and the Hearts players reacted angrily, with a bit of pushing and shoving going on before Beaton settled things down again by adding Haring and Hanlon to his yellow card count.

The clock was ticking now, and it was obvious that John Beaton was going to have to add a decent slice on because of Hearts’ time wasting antics. Against ten men, leading 2-1 and wasting every bit of time they could get away with. Still Hibs pushed and Melkersen went oh so close when he stooped to header a chance just wide before the fourth official indicated there would be eight minutes of added time. Jasper and Mueller were added at the expense of Henderson and Scott as the Hibs support did its level best to roar the ten men on.

Hearts, however, had other ideas and every shy, bye kick and so on took an age. Craig Gordon was adjudged to have been fouled in his penalty area and went down like a sniper had been at work. Once he’d got back on his feet, he tried to take the resultant free kick from yards outside the area and was rightly booked. Ryan Porteous pushed forward to aid the search for an equaliser and was fouled just outside the eighteen yard box. Jasper stepped up to take it and his shot deflected off a defender before Gordon punched it clear.

A great cup tie and to my mind a gutsy and admirable performance from Hibs.

The players

Macey – Some around me thought he might have saved the first goal if not the second, but I thought they were great hits and Matt had no chance. His distribution from feet was horrendous today though.

McGinn – After such a long lay off I thought Paul did pretty well although he might have been at fault at the first goal.

Porteous – Solid enough but struggled against Simms which surprised me.

Hanlon – Also struggled against Simms and looked a bit jittery under pressure at times.

Cadden – That engine just keeps purring and I have to say well done at the goal and his celebration after it!

Doyle-Hayes – Caused a few moans with backward passes but he’ll argue that at least we kept possession as a result.

Newell - So very unlucky to see red but the second yellow came from a silly challenge.

Stevenson – Every challenge was won, some of them bone crunchers. My man of the match.

Clarke – I reckon he’s going to be a firm favourite in a Hibs jersey.

Henderson – A very impressive performance from the laddie.

Scott – I crucified him last week, but he made me eat my words today. Held the ball up well and had good movement throughout.

Campbell – Lucky not to see red for a poor challenge on McKay.

Melkersen – If only that header had gone in.

Mueller – Hardly on long enough to show anything.

Jasper – Nice effort at the free kick.

Shaun Maloney – Don’t revert to type against St. Mirren, Shaun.

Referee – John Beaton … end of.
    Good report as usual and completely agree with your MOM.
    I'm not a great fan of Lewis but he was outstanding today.
    How you can think Newell was unlucky is beyond me.

James Scott had a good game.

@hibs.net private member BILLYHIBS's Avatar
    Macey kicking the ball out of the park in injury time was beyond belief

Newall’s stupidity let himself and the team down badly

Scott played better than usual but I do not think he held the ball up well at all

The Hearts defenders easily took the ball off him at will and he was quick to go to ground with some unorthodox challenges

Lewis was a standout and unlucky to be hooked

Melkerson was never beating a goalie of Gordon’s quality at his near post from that bad angle

He did well to get something on it

A fine performance I thought the fans were outstanding

They deserve better

For long periods it looked as though Hearts were the team with ten men and the silence from their fans was deafening

Hopefully we can maintain this form and attitude going into what remains of our season

Quote Originally Posted by Since452 View Post
    James Scott had a good game.
    No he never. He tried. But he wasn’t a threat whatsoever.