hibs.net Messageboard

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Squad clear out

@hibs.net private member hibee1875's Avatar
    Darren Fletcher is pushing for McGinn to be signed for Man Utd.

If we don’t take that money and overhaul the squad I’ll be severely disappointed.

I’m fully being the business plan of buy young talented players with the hope to sell on but we have enough of them now. The next window must be about getting experience in.

2. Log in to remove the advert

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by Basildon Hibs View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I seriously think you're over estimating just how much we'd actually get for them ..😉
    Fair point, rebuild within the financial parameters the two fees would allow.

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by hibee1875 View Post

If we don’t take that money and overhaul the squad I’ll be severely disappointed.

I’m fully being the business plan of buy young talented players with the hope to sell on but we have enough of them now. The next window must be about getting experience in.

It will go towards vegan food at the new bar in the west stand.

Quote Originally Posted by Ozyhibby View Post
    We don’t need a massive clear out but we do need to sign two top quality centre mids and a couple of decent forwards. If Maloney had done that in January he might not be facing calls for his sacking.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

We need an experienced spine but I feel like we’ve needed that for the last x windows

Quote Originally Posted by keep the faith View Post
    OK. That's in no way OTT....
    In what way? What’s he given us this year?

@hibs.net private member Alfred E Newman's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by H18 SFR View Post
    I can see Doig and Porteous being sold and the money used for a complete rebuild.
    They probably will be sold, not for a rebuild but to balance the books.
    Unless someone with a shed load of cash appears on the horizon who wants to invest in the team and not fancy gimmicks like big screens, we are destined to be also rans for the immediate future.
    Provided they spend wisely which I fear they will, we certainly will not be competing with Hearts given the huge boost in funds coming their way next season.

Left by mutual consent!
    New goalkeeper

Two new centre backs.

Ball winning midfielder, box to box midfielder and advanced playmaker.

Two new strikers.

Roughly at least 8 signings needed imo. I expect there will be plenty of outgoings in the summer too so our incoming signings could go into double figures.

Quote Originally Posted by Alfred E Newman View Post
    Unless someone with a shed load of cash appears on the horizon who wants to invest in the team and not fancy gimmicks like big screens, we are destined to be also rans for the immediate future.
    Provided they spend wisely which I fear they will, we certainly will not be competing with Hearts given the huge boost in funds coming their way next season.
    Have to agree with you Alfred, we have wandered into this situation sleepwalking and now it is perhaps too late.

@hibs.net private member Alfred E Newman's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by JamesHFC View Post
    New goalkeeper

Two new centre backs.

Two new strikers.

Roughly at least 8 signings needed imo. I expect there will be plenty of outgoings in the summer too so our incoming signings could go into double figures.
    Unless you win the Euro millions, that is complete pie in the sky. We could certainly sign 8 players but they would be no better quality or worse than the lot we have now.

Left by mutual consent!
    Unless you win the Euro millions, that is complete pie in the sky. We could certainly sign 8 players but they would be no better quality or worse than the lot we have now.
    We can get better players than we have now, they are out there.

Balancing the books is not an issue for us, as we made a profit last year.

In the last three seasons, we've played in six semi finals and two finals, That's surely earned us decent money as well.

New goalkeeper

Two new centre backs.

Two new strikers.

I don’t think you’re far off the mark here.

We arguably need more.

The McGinn money isn't coming. He is not going to Man United this summer.

Left by mutual consent! AL-Qaholik's Avatar
    Wouldn’t be fussed if any of the current squad left. That’s how bad we are.
    Given the choice, I would keep Clarke, Cadden, Porteous and Mitchell.
    And that’s about it. Enormous rebuild required IMO.

@hibs.net private member
    Of the best teams in my time watching Hibs we’ve had real drive in the middle of the park and I think if you are to be a really good team in Scotland u need that, Newell shows it occasionally but nowhere near enough. Doyle-Hayes is so pedestrian, plays the safe backwards pass most of the time and just isnt good enough (and I say that as someone who wanted him signed on a longer deal after a few games of the season). We need to priorities a player with drive to play in the there along with Newell.

New goalkeeper

Two new centre backs.

Two new strikers.

Agreed. Big big rebuild is needed, are the club up for it going on previous windows? Who knows, but they need to be to fix this mess.

Quote Originally Posted by MWHIBBIES View Post
    The McGinn money isn't coming. He is not going to Man United this summer.
    Feeling, thought or fact?

@hibs.net private member hibee_girl's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by jakedance View Post
    I’d want to keep Stevenson but that’s about it. We should be trying for better than literally everyone in the squad.

Realistically though, I’d want to keep Porteous (likely sold), Doig and McGennis (if we can be confident in his fitness). Jasper, Mueller, Henderson and Mikelsson I’m undecided on and probably deserve some time. The rest can bolt.
    Stevenson is signed until 2023 so he’s not going anywhere thankfully.

Agree Porteous will be sold but if we could get him to sign a new deal and stay for another year that would be amazing.

I’d keep Melkerson, there’s a player in there. He’s a young one who will come good, we shouldn’t be in the position where we’re relying on him to be our main striker right now.

Jasper I’m undecided about. Mueller I like but he needs to learn how to tackle, he’s too scared of a challenge right now.

Wasn’t fussed for Henderson before today but if he can play like that more regularly he can stay, wouldn’t be fussed if JDH left but can’t see that happening.

I’d keep McGinn, he’s a good player to have the squad.

Keeper
    Centre half x 2
    New midfield x 3
    1 x winger
    2 x forwards

Out
    Wright
    Macey
    McGinn
    Allan
    Doidge
    Mcgregor

Quote Originally Posted by Keith_M View Post
    Balancing the books is not an issue for us, as we made a profit last year.

In the last three seasons, we've played in six semi finals and two finals, That's surely earned us decent money as well.
    No gate receipts for half of them as they were in front of no fans.

@hibs.net private member
    Stay: Clarke, Doig, Porteous, Newell, Stevenson, Mitchell, Hanlon, Cadden, Bradley, Melkersen

Go: Wright, Doidge, Murphy, Allan, McGregor, Scott, Mackie, Campbell, Bushiri, Macey, Magennis, Dabrowski, JDH, McGinn

Undecided: Jasper, Nisbet, MacKay, Hauge, Henderson, Tait, Mueller

@hibs.net private member JohnM1875's Avatar
    Gamer IDs

PSN ID: johnmac1875
    No chance of it happening with his new deal but I'd definitely be trying to punt JDH.

Very easy to make long lists of players you want to leave even if players often have long contracts to be paid off . What`s much more difficult is finding replacements who are actually better than those leaving , consistent and fit . Even in a disappointing season like this there aren`t many non Old Firm opposition players who really stick out and they`re often loanees ( Ronan at St Mirren , Ellis at Hearts ...) so unlikely to stay long and are not usually available till late in the transfer window .We`ve done well to sign good Scottish players like both McGinns , Magennis , Cadden and Nesbit though all at a price . Hence need to cast net wider - signings of Muller and Norwegians are a good start though I`m not sure how much Brexit may limit signings . I`m optimistic about longer term planning with Under 23 team etc but only if fans show some patience .

@hibs.net private member cameronw-hfc's Avatar
    Feeling, thought or fact?

Incredibly unlikely. Tried to explain on here before that it's never been likely, and got called all sorts for saying he wouldn't be leaving Villa. Villa will demand too much, United aren't what they use to be with half the pulling power, club in turmoil.

He's not worth the money Villa will ask for, they've always been my English team and whilst I love John, there's a lot of talk within the Villa fans whether he needs to be replaced or not. Quality is evident, consistency is a nightmare for him. Has a good run then goes into a spell of honking form and has kinda been a trend for him in the Prem. Again, I love John as much as any Hibs fan, and I fully expect the green tinted specs to come out and slate me again for daring to say this, but he won't be going to UTD because they won't pay the 50/60m Villa will demand, and with the way UTD are going, it's not even a certain he wants to go to a sinking ship.

He's not the same Mcginn as he was at Hibs, great player, but not exactly the best in the team or even top 3/4 in the Villa team. Again, im not trying to diss him, just be realistic from someone that's seen him weekly for the past God knows how many years now at Hibs and then at Villa.

Edit- I don't mean he's changed as a played in the last paragraph, I mean he's not got the same impact on this Villa team that he had on Hibs, or even Villa in the championship, he's incredibly inconsistent for Villa in the Prem.
    Last edited by cameronw-hfc; 16-04-2022 at 09:40 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by cameronw-hfc View Post
    Incredibly unlikely. Tried to explain on here before that it's never been likely, and got called all sorts for saying he wouldn't be leaving Villa. Villa will demand too much, United aren't what they use to be with half the pulling power, club in turmoil.

He's not worth the money Villa will ask for, they've always been my English team and whilst I love John, there's a lot of talk within the Villa fans whether he needs to be replaced or not. Quality is evident, consistency is a nightmare for him. Has a good run then goes into a spell of honking form and has kinda been a trend for him in the Prem. Again, I love John as much as any Hibs fan, and I fully expect the green tinted specs to come out and slate me again for daring to say this, but he won't be going to UTD because they won't pay the 50/60m Villa will demand, and with the way UTD are going, it's not even a certain he wants to go to a sinking ship.

He's not the same Mcginn as he was at Hibs, great player, but not exactly the best in the team or even top 3/4 in the Villa team. Again, im not trying to diss him, just be realistic from someone that's seen him weekly for the past God knows how many years now at Hibs and then at Villa.

Edit- I don't mean he's changed as a played in the last paragraph, I mean he's not got the same impact on this Villa team that he had on Hibs, or even Villa in the championship, he's incredibly inconsistent for Villa in the Prem.
    Without the green tints whenever I’ve watched villa,mcginn has either assisted or been a catalyst in build up to anything positive they do.
    Not to mention his amazing international performances for Scotland.

His Twitter is always lit up by positivity towards him after games as well,I don’t think I’ve read a critical tweet towards him.

I don’t think Gerrard takes him off or drops him much either.

Testimonial Due The Harp Awakes's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnM1875 View Post
    No chance of it happening with his new deal but I'd definitely be trying to punt JDH.
    He is the least of our problems. A defensive midfielder who keeps possession and rarely gives the ball away. Jeez and even in that position he's probably our top scoring midfielder this year.

Get a couple of aggressive, attack minded midfielders in and JDH will do just fine.

For me sometimes it's difficult keeping track of who's a loan deal and who's actually our player. It looks like, even though we have got some revenue streams, we are still way off being able to do the kind of overhaul that IMO is needed, but that's just my opinion. And don't forget, if we book a taxi for Maloney and Caldwell there will be a compensation issue as well. We need adaptable players who can adapt to a change in system and they cost money. Too many of our players in recent years have been good, solid players but only really perform when we play a particular system. We need to be able to switch to a Plan B when necessary, and I'm not sure that a/ most of the players we have are really capable of that and b/ that we don't have the kind of finances necessary to effect those kind of changes in personnel. Hope I'm wrong though.

Left by mutual consent!
    Clear every one of them out and start again.

First Team Breakthrough
    New goalkeeper

Two new centre backs.

Two new strikers.

This is also my take on where we are now. We have not strengthened the midfield and attacking players when we should have and now our defenders are all of an age (excluding Porto) where they need to be replaced, and there is no guarantee that we will hold onto Porto. Also agreed Macey needs replaced in goals. It is disgraceful that the club now find themselves in this position and it is down to really poor management of the club. How on earth will they now be able to fund the required number of changes.

Quote Originally Posted by Daily Hibs View Post
    Clear every one of them out and start again.
    All of them? Put the pint down n go to sleep.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk