hibs.net Messageboard

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Squad clear out

Professional thread starter Diclonius's Avatar

Squad clear out

I imagine that there will be some major surgery to the sqaud for the first time in a good few years, especially if Gordon means business re spending. Here's my opinion on who we have at present:

Stay: Clarke, Doig, Porteous, Newell, Mueller, Stevenson, Mitchell, Jasper, Dabrowski, Doyle-Hayes, Cadden, Bradley, Melkersen, Henderson

Go: Wright, Doidge, Gogic, Murphy, Allan, McGregor, Scott, Mackie, Campbell, Bushiri

Undecided: Macey, Hanlon, McGinn, Magennis, Nisbet, MacKay, Hauge

Porteous should be offered our top wage and the captaincy. Doidge I don't think is going to come back from his injury, Hanlon and McGinn are getting on a bit now, Macey I'm not convinced is a #1. Magennis definitely has some quality but no point keeping him if he never plays, and I would honestly take the first decent offer we get for Nisbet as he is not developing here.
    Last edited by Diclonius; 16-04-2022 at 03:58 PM.

2. Log in to remove the advert

@hibs.net private member 500miles's Avatar
    Hanlon and McGinn may have taken a bit of settling in after injury, but we saw the value of them when they did.

We need some experience in attack and some pace.

@hibs.net private member
    I can see Doig and Porteous being sold and the money used for a complete rebuild.

@hibs.net private member
    Newell and Doyle Hayes are just not good. No way should they stay.

@hibs.net private member
    Porteous will be sold but only because, I imagine, he’ll not be signing a new contract. Other than a couple of errors he’s had a great season and really has kicked on, I’d be gutted to lose him, especially for some of the figures that were being banded about previous, circa £1 million🙈 Doig hasn’t progressed as much as I’d have hoped but playing him out of position doesn’t help, he may grow into a CB or LCB role but at the moment he isn’t strong or streetwise enough for those positions. With the Boyle money, and likely Porto money, in the bank I think Doig will stay for another season at least.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve20 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Newall is a very good player and should absolutely stay.

Clear out one of the keepers and keep the other as back up. A new number 1 should be close to a priority.

From the defence I'd have no issue with Mcginn, McGregor and Rocky going.

Midfield Gogic and Murphy are as good as away already. Wright, Campbell and Allan can join them. I wouldn't be distraught to see Doyle Hayes move on either if better came in. Mueller and Jasper I'm undecided on but the former looks powderpuff and the latter flatters to deceive. Henderson is all round better than both.

Up top Scott will go, I think Doidge may be a spent force and I'd be tempted to cash in on Nisbet as well.

The issue is we are also likely to lose our last 2 really saleable assets in Porteous and Doig so that opens up another 2 spaces. Stevenson isn't getting any younger either. Even allowing for one or both or the 1st 2 staying we still have a huge rebuilding job on our hands. It's criminal the squad has been allowed to get into such a mess.

Quote Originally Posted by hibee-boys View Post
    Porteous will be sold but only because, I imagine, he’ll not be signing a new contract. Other than a couple of errors he’s had a great season and really has kicked on, I’d be gutted to lose him, especially for some of the figures that were being banded about previous, circa £1 million🙈 Doig hasn’t progressed as much as I’d have hoped but playing him out of position doesn’t help, he may grow into a CB or LCB role but at the moment he isn’t strong or streetwise enough for those positions. With the Boyle money, and likely Porto money, in the bank I think Doig will stay for another season at least.
    Porteous has been excellent at times this season but his daft moments have continued to cost us.

We could have done with him being less rusty going into today’s game and I thought he had a ropey first 45 before improving as the game went on.

He’ll be away this summer and will take a bit of replacing because even in spite of aforementioned daft moments, our team looks infinitely better when he plays.

Said threads ago sums up our club dishing out extensions which aren’t merited

@hibs.net private member SteveHFC's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Pretty Boy View Post
    Clear out one of the keepers and keep the other as back up. A new number 1 should be close to a priority.

From the defence I'd have no issue with Mcginn, McGregor and Rocky going.

Midfield Gogic and Murphy are as good as away already. Wright, Campbell and Allan can join them. I wouldn't be distraught to see Doyle Hayes move on either if better came in. Mueller and Jasper I'm undecided on but the former looks powderpuff and the latter flatters to deceive. Henderson is all round better than both.

Up top Scott will go, I think Doidge may be a spent force and I'd be tempted to cash in on Nisbet as well.

The issue is we are also likely to lose our last 2 really saleable assets in Porteous and Doig so that opens up another 2 spaces. Stevenson isn't getting any younger either. Even allowing for one or both or the 1st 2 staying we still have a huge rebuilding job on our hands. It's criminal the squad has been allowed to get into such a mess.
    One of the first players I'd be looking to get rid off is Macey.
    Less talk, more gifs. 21.05.16

Quote Originally Posted by keep the faith View Post
    He was a disgrace today.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Contract extension for Cadden and try to get Clarke on longer deal . Clearout needed but people saying get rid of Nesbit and McGennis - what club would sign players with serious fitness issues ?

Quote Originally Posted by IberianHibernian View Post
    Contract extension for Cadden and try to get Clarke on longer deal . Clearout needed but people saying get rid of Nesbit and McGennis - what club would sign players with serious fitness issues ?
    Hibs?
    PM Awards General Poster of The Year 2015, 2016, 2017. Probably robbed in other years

@hibs.net private member
    Nisbet doesn’t have serious fitness issues? That’s the first serious injury of his career.

A nothing player who absolutely chucked his pals under the bus.

Should never play for Hibs again.

They have needed a squad clearout for the past year or so, but quality to replace comes at a price and dont know if Hibs can financially compete anymore with the other 2 we are meant to compete with. The sheep and the manky ones on the other side of the city both have more finance.
    The younger players will all need a season or two before they can be considered for the first team, but it is looking promising if we can build a good spine to the side, old Bill Shankly who knew a wee bit about building teams used to buy a good goalie, good centre Half and good centre forward, all 3 at the time just happened to be Scots, but that is how he done it, then brought in the players to play around the main 3.

First Team Regular Basildon Hibs's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by H18 SFR View Post
    I can see Doig and Porteous being sold and the money used for a complete rebuild.
    I seriously think you're over estimating just how much we'd actually get for them ..😉

Coaching Staff
    Quote Originally Posted by Diclonius View Post
    I imagine that there will be some major surgery to the sqaud for the first time in a good few years, especially if Gordon means business re spending. Here's my opinion on who we have at present:

Stay: Clarke, Doig, Porteous, Newell, Mueller, Stevenson, Mitchell, Jasper, Dabrowski, Doyle-Hayes, Cadden, Bradley, Melkersen, Henderson

Go: Wright, Doidge, Gogic, Murphy, Allan, McGregor, Scott, Mackie, Campbell, Bushiri

Porteous should be offered our top wage and the captaincy. Doidge I don't think is going to come back from his injury, Hanlon and McGinn are getting on a bit now, Macey I'm not convinced is a #1. Magennis definitely has some quality but no point keeping him if he never plays, and I would honestly take the first decent offer we get for Nisbet as he is not developing here.
    Gogic left in January

Quote Originally Posted by CL0762 View Post
    Nisbet doesn’t have serious fitness issues? That’s the first serious injury of his career.
    Thought he was out till about November . Not many clubs would want to sign him now .

@hibs.net private member
    Thought he was out till about November . Not many clubs would want to sign him now .
    He doesn’t have a ‘fitness issue’ though, it’s a bad injury from a tackle.

I’d want to keep Stevenson but that’s about it. We should be trying for better than literally everyone in the squad.

Realistically though, I’d want to keep Porteous (likely sold), Doig and McGennis (if we can be confident in his fitness). Jasper, Mueller, Henderson and Mikelsson I’m undecided on and probably deserve some time. The rest can bolt.

Agree, McGinn in the same bracket

@hibs.net private member Northernhibee's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by SteveHFC View Post
    One of the first players I'd be looking to get rid off is Macey.
    His shot stopping stats are very poor.

Do you think your security can keep you in purity, you will not shake us off above or below. Scottish friction, Scottish fiction

Left by mutual consent!
    You are deluded, contributes nothing.

Quote Originally Posted by CL0762 View Post
    He doesn’t have a ‘fitness issue’ though, it’s a bad injury from a tackle.
    Am aware of that but point is we`re unlikely to be able to sell him this summer if we want to and / or player wants .

@hibs.net private member
    Am aware of that but point is we`re unlikely to be able to sell him this summer if we want to and / or player wants .
    Aww right aye, thought you meant he was like Magennis with the persistent injuries 👍🏻

Quote Originally Posted by B.H.F.C View Post
    A nothing player who absolutely chucked his pals under the bus.

Should never play for Hibs again.
    OK. That's in no way OTT....

Clear out the forwards (except The Hoff) and bring in Griffiths and Cummings for experience, bring through the young lads O'Connor, young etc

Quote Originally Posted by Diclonius View Post

Has Gordon said he’s splashing the cash?

And do we need a massive clear out and a whole team of players to come in so we start all over again?

Quote Originally Posted by LustForLeith View Post
    Has Gordon said he’s splashing the cash?

And do we need a massive clear out and a whole team of players to come in so we start all over again?
    We don’t need a massive clear out but we do need to sign two top quality centre mids and a couple of decent forwards. If Maloney had done that in January he might not be facing calls for his sacking.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk